Notices

Wild sign defenseman Ratchuk

Old
06-05-2006, 03:44 PM
ceber

vCash: 500
Wild sign defenseman Ratchuk

http://www.wild.com/team/Press.asp?story_id=4791

Just depth, I'm guessing (fairly safe limb, huh?)

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 03:45 PM
ceber

Ok, well the press release is gone now. Let's see if it comes back.

In the meantime, here's Ratchuk's hockeydb page:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=19373

Old
06-05-2006, 04:00 PM
Wild Bill

Late bloomer maybe? Former 1st rounder of the Av's. Not alot of high end d-men taken in that round although if you scroll down to #56 there is Zdeno Chara. Prolly a few GM's that would like to re-do a pick or two there.

Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 09:41 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

this is obviously the calvary Gaborik requires in order to resign long term...

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 11:21 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Yeah...

If this is all the signing we're going to do...Well ****!

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 06:42 AM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoobieDoobieDo

Yeah...

If this is all the signing we're going to do...Well ****!
Well, this is all the signing we can do at this point. At least it's activity. Some teams are just sitting on their butts during the crucial "sign Euro FAs" period.

Old
06-06-2006, 10:21 AM
MePutPuckInNet

still no news on whether or not this actually happened? i can't find anything. i looked up some info just for the hell of it though - doesn't seem like he really got much of an opportunity to show what he could or couldn't do at the NHL level

Ratchuk's Legends of Hockey profile

Signed as a free agent by Florida, June 15, 1998. Signed as a free agent by Pittsburgh, August 14, 2001. Signed as a free agent by Buffalo, August 7, 2002. Signed as a free agent by Frankfurt (Germany), August 11, 2003.

I know that sounds bad, but all of those NHL teams were really struggling with personnel issues at the time of his signing,,,,it's possible that he just has been in the wrong place at the wrong time - it happens.

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 10:45 AM
ceber

Kinda weird that the article still isn't up. I don't see why they'd go to the trouble to write something up like that if it wasn't real. It wasn't the standard boilerplate press release. It was one of Glen Andresen's writeups, similar in style to the one he did for goalie Backstrom.

The guy was drafted early, but I think he'd have been somewhere other than Germany if he really had a shot. Like you say though, it happens.

Old
06-06-2006, 11:19 AM
MePutPuckInNet

yeah, i hear ya. I'm not getting all excited or anything, just trying to present a more positive viewpoint - as with any player on any NHL team, you never really know how they're going to perform, until they actually play with that particular club, eh?

but anyway, i agree that the press release thing is kinda weird, I read it twice and it seemed rather thorough to be just some whim. Maybe there was second thoughts or well, yeah...who the hell knows why, but anyway...it is rather curious, but...it's something else to talk about for a few days, even if nothing else comes of it.

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 11:51 AM
ceber

I'd be much happier talking about new contracts signed by some of our RFAs.

Old
06-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Walzy

Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
i think Ratchuk could play a decent role in the Wild's 3rd D-pair (like Robidas did in Dallas last season)

i think he was the best defender over here in germany in the last 3 year....it's a pity for the league to lose him

Walzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 09:01 PM
ceber

http://www.wild.com/team/Press.asp?story_id=4794

up now.

Old
06-06-2006, 09:08 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

anyone got a scouting report??

remember tho...Brian Rafalski was playing in europe before he joined the devils, as was Wes Walz before he came to Minnesota...not to chug the kool-aid, but there's no reason to write him off because he's been playing in germany.

Old
06-07-2006, 01:48 AM
GPF
US Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO

remember tho...Brian Rafalski was playing in europe before he joined the devils, as was Wes Walz before he came to Minnesota...not to chug the kool-aid, but there's no reason to write him off because he's been playing in germany.
He definitely is NOT a second Brian Rafalski. But though he is lacking a hard slapshot he is the heck of a skater, good puck mover and able to make some very smart plays from behind to open up the game, good quarterback on the PP .. but well his shot, sometimes just
But good pickup guys - ever wondered why he isn't playing overseas. A coule of years ago in his first year in Frankfurt I thought he was the best Dman that has ever played in the DEL. Rumor wise I heard the Panthers wanted to change him into a stay at homer guy (so there is some truth in it he was at the wrong place at the wrong time) and he is anything but that. Guess under the new NHL he could have some impact.

well okay that was just my scouting report

good luck!

GPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2006, 04:30 AM
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPF
He definitely is NOT a second Brian Rafalski. But though he is lacking a hard slapshot he is the heck of a skater, good puck mover and able to make some very smart plays from behind to open up the game, good quarterback on the PP .. but well his shot, sometimes just
But good pickup guys - ever wondered why he isn't playing overseas. A coule of years ago in his first year in Frankfurt I thought he was the best Dman that has ever played in the DEL. Rumor wise I heard the Panthers wanted to change him into a stay at homer guy (so there is some truth in it he was at the wrong place at the wrong time) and he is anything but that. Guess under the new NHL he could have some impact.

well okay that was just my scouting report

good luck!
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I think if he can skate and keep the mental mistakes to a minimum, he shouldn't have too hard of a time sticking around.

Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2006, 08:48 AM
GPF
US Bandwagon

yep, and I talked to a friend about it during lunch break and he braught up a good point: who the heck believed that Kurtis Foster would be such an important part on the PP in MIN before the season. And that - with that defensive minded Minnesota-D - maybe Peter with his skating and playmaking abilities is a perfect fit for the Wild. Good point ... and I guess there's some truth in it

we'll see .. all the best!

Old
06-07-2006, 09:57 AM
The Big E

Quote:
...not to chug the kool-aid, but ...
Ahhh ... ... Mmmm ... fruit punch flavored ...

The Big E

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2006, 10:43 AM
ceber

Quote:

Instead of being cautiously optimistic I'm just going to jump right into writing him off. New tactic for me. We'll see how it works out.

Old
06-07-2006, 03:02 PM
The Big E

Maybe he's a replacement for Zyuisin? Hmmm ... This'd mean we off-loading a reclamation project for another. So far we've had luck with guys playing in Deutschland.

The Big E

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2006, 06:54 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
At the least, he will push the lower end defensemen on the Wild to perform or lose their situation.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2006, 09:16 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

how is his defensive play?

I do like the fact that he is a good skater with some offensive acumen tho...

Old
06-07-2006, 09:28 PM
TeamSeals

if he can move the puck and skate well while being defensively responsible than he sounds like a great bottom pairing guy

TeamSeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 02:51 PM
GPF
US Bandwagon

Quote:
how is his defensive play?
Ummm to be honest he reminds me a bit of Brett Hedican - in total. But okay I havn't seen Peter match up against NHL power forwards. But because of his speed he is able to fill holes on D, gets to the puck quickley, is good on PK .. maybe possible that he'll get a bit into trouble against the big guys along the (NHL)Boards.

I saw game 2 a couple of minutes ago As Live in repetition and was thinking of Pete watching Hedican. Not perfect in his own end but okay, not very physical but hard fighting, getting a lot done by moving his feet ... Hedican is rock solid though behind and Pete sometimes mor of a happy-go-lucky fellow - therefore Ratchuk has more offensive and PP potential than Hedican.
But they are comparable guys .. no doubt!

Well, but as said I never saw Pete playing in the NHL ...