01-01-2013, 09:32 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Akers: 69%
Cundiff: 58.3%

It seems profound to say at this juncture, but Harbaugh's going to start making more enemies than he wants if he's going to throw guys under the bus when he doesn't have to. It could work out, but this ain't college. Egos are too big for everyone to accept the perceived "betterment of the team." There are guys on the field who still don't think what has happened to Alex Smith was right.
Do you have evidence to back up your claim? I suspect you don't.

As for Cundiff it's 12 attempts. Too small of a sample size. Fact is that Harbaugh was too slow in remedying this problem. Cundiff is not a good solution, but something had to be done. Akers has already missed 2 huge FGs that would have given the team 2 more wins. And the way he is going, Akers is going to cost this team a playoff game. I guarantee it.

Not sure where you are going with your claim that Harbaugh will make enemies because he brought in a kicker to compete with one that is not getting the job done. The NFL is a results based business. If you can't make FGs, you don't deserve to have job security - regardless of your history. The team's goal is to win the Super Bowl this year, not to cater to the public's perception of the Niners and Harbaugh. News flash: Harbaugh doesn't care what you think. His job is to win games and has done that as good as anyone the past two seasons.

Old
01-01-2013, 10:41 PM
snowden
Man is matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
He's a Saint fan. He's obviously very in tune with what's going on within the 49ers organization. Why would you not believe him??

Old
01-01-2013, 10:46 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

LOL.
Yeah lets wait until after the regular season is over to bring in a kicker

Old
01-01-2013, 10:57 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowden View Post
He's a Saint fan. He's obviously very in tune with what's going on within the 49ers organization. Why would you not believe him??
Yep. Baseless accusations. Harbaugh and Kaepernick have full support of the locker room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
LOL.
Yeah lets wait until after the regular season is over to bring in a kicker
I agree. A move should've been made weeks ago when it was clear that Akers was struggling.

Old
01-01-2013, 11:02 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:

I agree. A move should've been made weeks ago when it was clear that Akers was struggling.
this has been my point. its stupid to bring in another kicker now. I know Akers has struggled this year. They should of thought about it back around Thanksgiving. Bringing in a new kicker now is just dumb. I gaurantee this isnt sitting well with many players on the Niners. You just dont make a move like this now.

Old
01-01-2013, 11:38 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
this has been my point. its stupid to bring in another kicker now. I know Akers has struggled this year. They should of thought about it back around Thanksgiving. Bringing in a new kicker now is just dumb. I gaurantee this isnt sitting well with many players on the Niners. You just dont make a move like this now.
I'm not getting this: why would this move not sit well with the players? They want to win. They don't want a kicker costing the team a shot at a Super Bowl.

So no, I'm not sure where you or GKJ are getting this idea that the locker room will blow up because they brought in a kicker to compete with Akers who can't make a field goal 40 yards or longer.

Old
01-01-2013, 11:51 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
I'm not getting this: why would this move not sit well with the players? They want to win. They don't want a kicker costing the team a shot at a Super Bowl.

So no, I'm not sure where you or GKJ are getting this idea that the locker room will blow up because they brought in a kicker to compete with Akers who can't make a field goal 40 yards or longer.
I think many players know whatever is on the waiver wire after week 17 isnt better then the guy kicking for you.
I know SF wants to win. I just question the timing which is why I mention some players not being happy with a move like this. I never said it was a lockerroom chemistry killing move, I just think some players will question it.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:06 AM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
I think many players know whatever is on the waiver wire after week 17 isnt better then the guy kicking for you.
I know SF wants to win. I just question the timing which is why I mention some players not being happy with a move like this. I never said it was a lockerroom chemistry killing move, I just think some players will question it.
What the players know is that Akers missed two huge field goals that helped cost the team wins. They also know that with a division title on the line on Sunday, Akers missed 2 very makeable field goals and barely squeaked in another. Harbaugh elected to go for it on 4th down in field goal range instead of letting Akers kick. The team has no confidence in him, and it doesn't look like he has any either.

But again, what the players understand the most is that you are paid to perform in their industry. If you do not, you risk losing your job.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:16 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
What the players know is that Akers missed two huge field goals that helped cost the team wins. They also know that with a division title on the line on Sunday, Akers missed 2 very makeable field goals and barely squeaked in another. Harbaugh elected to go for it on 4th down in field goal range instead of letting Akers kick. The team has no confidence in him, and it doesn't look like he has any either.

But again, what the players understand the most is that you are paid to perform in their industry. If you do not, you risk losing your job.
And I get all that. I have been saying that all along. Akers sucks. But why wait until now? why didnt they make a move say back in week 10? or week 11 for example. Its the timing I am questioning.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:23 AM
Allen Degenerate
Rookie User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
With David Akers struggling, 49ers are bringing kickers to San Francisco for workouts, including Billy Cundiff and Justin Medlock.
How does this guy keep getting signed? If I was as bad at my job as he is at his, I'd have to find a new profession.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:57 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:

As for Cundiff it's 12 attempts. Too small of a sample size. Fact is that Harbaugh was too slow in remedying this problem. Cundiff is not a good solution, but something had to be done. Akers has already missed 2 huge FGs that would have given the team 2 more wins. And the way he is going, Akers is going to cost this team a playoff game. I guarantee it.

Not sure where you are going with your claim that Harbaugh will make enemies because he brought in a kicker to compete with one that is not getting the job done. The NFL is a results based business. If you can't make FGs, you don't deserve to have job security - regardless of your history. The team's goal is to win the Super Bowl this year, not to cater to the public's perception of the Niners and Harbaugh. News flash: Harbaugh doesn't care what you think. His job is to win games and has done that as good as anyone the past two seasons.
So the thing that had to be done was bring in the guy who is actually branded as a choker? It's a results-based business, and they brought in a guy who has worse results. It would be a bit different if they brought in someone like Kasay (who I assume is retired, but someone like him). The Redskins could have had a bye if he didn't blow so many kicks, that's one playoff win he's cost them already, in theory. With that said, if he works out, it wouldn't be the first time that a kicker who was cut mid-season for being awful, became very good for another team the same year. He should have made the change already if he was going to do it. I'm sure 49ers fans remember Trey Junkin.

As for my claims, it seemed pretty clear when Joe Staley (or someone) basically said he was going to keep his mouth shut about it.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:39 AM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
So the thing that had to be done was bring in the guy who is actually branded as a choker? It's a results-based business, and they brought in a guy who has worse results. It would be a bit different if they brought in someone like Kasay (who I assume is retired, but someone like him). The Redskins could have had a bye if he didn't blow so many kicks, that's one playoff win he's cost them already, in theory. With that said, if he works out, it wouldn't be the first time that a kicker who was cut mid-season for being awful, became very good for another team the same year. He should have made the change already if he was going to do it. I'm sure 49ers fans remember Trey Junkin.

As for my claims, it seemed pretty clear when Joe Staley (or someone) basically said he was going to keep his mouth shut about it.
Akers has missed 2 chip shot field goals in a playoff game that lost his team the game too.

And no, Cundiff didn't cost the Redskins any game. He missed 3 field goals in a win against Tampa, and 1 in a 7 point loss to Atlanta. He missed one in a 3 point loss to the Rams, but that was a 62 yarder, so I'm not going to blame him for the loss. So no, Cundiff didn't cost his team a bye, nice try.

And I wouldn't call someone not wanting to answer a question clear evidence of someone not being happy. I asked if you had clear evidence of players (plural) being upset and you didn't give me anything. But it seems like you know more about my team than I do, so I'll still wait.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:14 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Ray Lewis announced he is retiring at the end of the season.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...19243632156672

Not surprising. This is probably the team's last real go at a title. He's already a Super Bowl MVP so it's not like he has to hang on for a title.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
49ers signed K Billy Cundiff.
How does he keep getting signed?

I am Boston Strong

Old
01-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
How does he keep getting signed?
David Akers has been worse.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:09 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
David Akers has been worse.
That's really scary.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
That's really scary.
8/17 from beyond 40 yards or something like that. Its dread when he attempts a kick.

Old
01-02-2013, 04:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Akers has missed 2 chip shot field goals in a playoff game that lost his team the game too.

And no, Cundiff didn't cost the Redskins any game. He missed 3 field goals in a win against Tampa, and 1 in a 7 point loss to Atlanta. He missed one in a 3 point loss to the Rams, but that was a 62 yarder, so I'm not going to blame him for the loss. So no, Cundiff didn't cost his team a bye, nice try.

And I wouldn't call someone not wanting to answer a question clear evidence of someone not being happy. I asked if you had clear evidence of players (plural) being upset and you didn't give me anything. But it seems like you know more about my team than I do, so I'll still wait.
Ok, well, Cundiff did miss a chip shot that sent the Patriots to the Super Bowl. Akers missed 2 field goals on a bad day, but he didn't throw an interception in the end zone at the end of the game either. Andy Reid threw Akers and Sean McDermott under the bus because he didn't want to throw Marty Morhinwheg under the bus. The Cundiff disaster happened more recently.

You don't have to call it clear evidence, but I know you're not naive enough to think that a player is going to spout off the media about it either, unless we're talking about the Jets. I only simply remember there were those types of overtures made during the Saints game, because Troy Aikman was talking about it, but I don't remember who he was talking about it, and frankly I don't care either. I know it hits a nerve to disagree with St. Harbaugh, so I can leave it alone.

My point was that you can't scare NFL players into playing better like Harbaugh is trying to do.

Old
01-02-2013, 05:07 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Ok, well, Cundiff did miss a chip shot that sent the Patriots to the Super Bowl. Akers missed 2 field goals on a bad day, but he didn't throw an interception in the end zone at the end of the game either. Andy Reid threw Akers and Sean McDermott under the bus because he didn't want to throw Marty Morhinwheg under the bus. The Cundiff disaster happened more recently.

You don't have to call it clear evidence, but I know you're not naive enough to think that a player is going to spout off the media about it either, unless we're talking about the Jets. I only simply remember there were those types of overtures made during the Saints game, because Troy Aikman was talking about it, but I don't remember who he was talking about it, and frankly I don't care either. I know it hits a nerve to disagree with St. Harbaugh, so I can leave it alone.

My point was that you can't scare NFL players into playing better like Harbaugh is trying to do.
Akers is also hurt and Cundiff could be used as insurance. Akers has been struggling all year..the fan base has no confidence in him and I'm sure his team has lost it as well.

Old
01-02-2013, 05:17 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Looking forward to Cundiff blowing the 49ers Superbowl run.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Looking forward to Cundiff blowing the 49ers Superbowl run.
Ugh hope not.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:33 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Akers is also hurt and Cundiff could be used as insurance. Akers has been struggling all year..the fan base has no confidence in him and I'm sure his team has lost it as well.
Fine, but the perception seems to be that that isn't why Cundiff was signed.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Fine, but the perception seems to be that that isn't why Cundiff was signed.
I have no idea..I think this move should have been made way earlier.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

EDIT: Wrong thread. That's what I get for just typing "NFL News and Notes" in my address bar.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:04 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

didnt know where to put this, but I figured id post it. guess who won the HF NFL pickem league. this guy. ill only this the top 10

Rank Pick Set Name Total Dropped W-L
1 GoneFullHolmgren 167 11 167-69
2 Clowe me 166 12 166-70
3 GrigsAndGirgs 159 14 159-79
4 Gooch McGee 157 12 157-79
5 sharkie551 156 14 156-82
6 Making It Wayne 156 6 156-80
7 BWC 154 14 154-82
8 Muh 154 9 154-82
9 Jay Leno is not funny 153 11 153-83
10 Gootie 153 14 153-81

Closed Thread