HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Buffalo Bills: Offseason (6-10; Gailey and staff fired, Brandon now President)

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2013, 04:34 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Take a chance on Kelly! Why not try out an innovative coach at the college ranks, it cant really end up worse then anything else the team has done the past 15 years. Could be the next Spurrier or the next Coryell but at least the upside there is high.
It's not a matter of the Bills taking a chance on Kelly, it would be if Kelly wants to take a chance on the Bills. I don't see him leaving Oregon to come to Buffalo.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:57 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
If its not a big name coach this is frustrating. Do you think with Brandon in control he might sign off on a guy who wants MORE POWER?
I think the issue of power over personnel is the most important aspect of any coaching search when the fanbase wants a name brand coach. Everyone else in my family is a Bills fan, and I keep hearing "Give Chip Kelly a blank check if that's what it takes," but it's not that cut and dry. First, there's a general consensus that Kelly is going to want significant control over the offensive players he'll need to implement his system. Are executive types like Whaley and Brandon, who've spent their whole working lives in preparation to be a Team President or NFL GM, just going to cede that control to a sharp guy like Kelly, but a guy who's spent his entire career in college football? Second, is any high-profile coach who desires that control over personnel--be it Kelly, Gruden, whomever--going to look it Buffalo's current hierarchy with Brandon, Nix, and Whaley all seemingly having a hand in decisions to some extent, and decide there are too many cooks in the kitchen? It's going to be an interesting dynamic for sure.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:59 AM
dma0034

vCash: 600
Looks like the Bills are interested in Alex Smith.

Old
01-02-2013, 07:00 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
It's not a matter of the Bills taking a chance on Kelly, it would be if Kelly wants to take a chance on the Bills. I don't see him leaving Oregon to come to Buffalo.
Agreed. It's been my belief for awhile that he'll end up with the Eagles. They were a dumpster fire at the end of the Reid era, but they still have a lot of nice pieces, which pains me to say as a Giants fan.

Old
01-02-2013, 07:10 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
Just keep Fitz at this juncture. Kapernicks stock raised so high in 2 months he went from the odd man out to the man in SF. Unfortunate.

Old
01-02-2013, 07:13 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I think the issue of power over personnel is the most important aspect of any coaching search when the fanbase wants a name brand coach. Everyone else in my family is a Bills fan, and I keep hearing "Give Chip Kelly a blank check if that's what it takes," but it's not that cut and dry. First, there's a general consensus that Kelly is going to want significant control over the offensive players he'll need to implement his system. Are executive types like Whaley and Brandon, who've spent their whole working lives in preparation to be a Team President or NFL GM, just going to cede that control to a sharp guy like Kelly, but a guy who's spent his entire career in college football? Second, is any high-profile coach who desires that control over personnel--be it Kelly, Gruden, whomever--going to look it Buffalo's current hierarchy with Brandon, Nix, and Whaley all seemingly having a hand in decisions to some extent, and decide there are too many cooks in the kitchen? It's going to be an interesting dynamic for sure.
Good point. I would rather they go after Holmgren(a guy whos proven his worth)and would want absolute power. Kelly has had great success in Oregon but i'm very skeptical.

Old
01-02-2013, 07:55 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Good piece by Bucky Gleason:

http://buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...130109956/1004

Give the guy a chance, I know for some reason a lot of people hate Russ(by what i've read on other boards)

But it's not Ralph!

Old
01-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Good point. I would rather they go after Holmgren(a guy whos proven his worth)and would want absolute power. Kelly has had great success in Oregon but i'm very skeptical.
Holmgren's been a good coach, but he failed miserably on the personnel side in both Cleveland and Seattle. The consensus seems to be that if he wants to return to coaching he'll have suitors, but if he wants personnel control he's going to be looking for awhile.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:47 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Holmgren's been a good coach, but he failed miserably on the personnel side in both Cleveland and Seattle. The consensus seems to be that if he wants to return to coaching he'll have suitors, but if he wants personnel control he's going to be looking for awhile.
100% agreed.

Holmgren was awful in Seattle while he was coach/GM. When they took the GM powers away from him, he was great and took them to a Super Bowl. Sometiems great coaches shouldn't be personnel deciders (see: Levy, Marv)

Old
01-02-2013, 09:37 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Just keep Fitz at this juncture. Kapernicks stock raised so high in 2 months he went from the odd man out to the man in SF. Unfortunate.
Nah. Smith is capable of making more NFL throws and far less likely to turn the ball over. Put either season's Fitzpatrick on the 2011 49ers and they immediately relinquish control of their division to Seattle.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
No, Russ said that Ralph was at the holiday party longer than him and didn't indicate he is doing poorly in any way. He did not give a reason for the decision ultimately.
I suspect Ralph's been dead for some time and they've been giving us the "Weekend at Bernie's" treatment.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
Sweet. He's an upgrade over fitz, so why not?

Old
01-02-2013, 11:12 AM
cybresabre
Sir Hellcat

Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Sign me up for Alex Smith. He looked good before Kaepmania.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:17 AM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Smith was only good with excellent players around him. You really think the players on the Bills are close to the SF players? He will fail here(Smith).

Old
01-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Smith was only good with excellent players around him. You really think the players on the Bills are close to the SF players? He will fail here(Smith).
Bottom line is that he's an upgrade. He doesn't have to be a permanent fixture. If they draft a QB this year or next year, Smith provides a 3-4 year blanket for them to get someone else for the future.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:26 AM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

David Attenborough:
Quote:
Every January in Buffalo, nature stages a remarkable transformation. You see, it is the time of year when, fresh off another losing season, the Bills engage in their annual turnover. The annual rite is met with ceremonial press conferences, tears and remonstrations as the withered franchise engages in an elaborate courtship ritual with the region's fans - puffing out the plumage of imaginary future successes in order to woo the season ticket holders back into the fold. Nowhere else in nature do we see such a regular and exotic display of excuses and blind optimism.

This season, the turnover is especially exciting, because the old, weathered coach has finally fallen off his branch at the end of his 3 year cycle and will be replaced by a younger, likely stupider colleague. It is probable that the franchise will also dangle an inexplicably large free agent before the fans, holding it forward in one claw while attempting to conceal the lack of any supporting cast from its potential mate in the other. It is a sad, beautiful display, and one that may only survive a few more years as climate change and Ralph Wilson's heart eat away at this brave survivor's life expectancy.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:32 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

The 9ers had three skill players on offense last season and an absolute ******* group of wide receivers after Crabtree (who looks better this season than last with both Smith and Kaepernick under center). Judging the guy from throwing to Ted Ginn, Kyle Williams and Braylon Edwards seems foolish.

Smith's an upgrade to Fitzpatrick, a capable game manager, and allows us to develop someone behind him rather than having to pick a QB early and spend early picks building the defense.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:13 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
@QuentinGroves
Chip Kelly is gonna be Buffalo's next head coach!! You heard it here first! @AdamSchefter

Old
01-02-2013, 12:17 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
@QuentinGroves
Chip Kelly is gonna be Buffalo's next head coach!! You heard it here first! @AdamSchefter
With Adam Schefter retweeting it, you have to think there's at least some weight behind it.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchoolMaster View Post
With Adam Schefter retweeting it, you have to think there's at least some weight behind it.
Schefter didn't retweet it, there's no weight.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:26 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Schefter didn't retweet it, there's no weight.
<---- Doesn't get how twitter works.

We can totally rely on the ravings of a Cardinals LB then, right?

Old
01-02-2013, 01:23 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchoolMaster View Post
<---- Doesn't get how twitter works.

We can totally rely on the ravings of a Cardinals LB then, right?
Had to look up who the hell that guy even was lol.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:24 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Nah. Smith is capable of making more NFL throws and far less likely to turn the ball over. Put either season's Fitzpatrick on the 2011 49ers and they immediately relinquish control of their division to Seattle.
Wasnt Seattle bad last year? This year they lucked out to win the Division with Kap. Can't believe they actually hung on in NE.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
The 9ers had three skill players on offense last season and an absolute ******* group of wide receivers after Crabtree (who looks better this season than last with both Smith and Kaepernick under center). Judging the guy from throwing to Ted Ginn, Kyle Williams and Braylon Edwards seems foolish.

Smith's an upgrade to Fitzpatrick, a capable game manager, and allows us to develop someone behind him rather than having to pick a QB early and spend early picks building the defense.
Exactly.

Buffalo has a good o line who can provide him time. They have a good running game to take pressure of him. And they have some playmakers who can score on the drop of a dime.

Alex Smith will probably never take this team to a superbowl, but he can get them to the playoffs while we develop a franchise quarterback.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:01 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Wasnt Seattle bad last year? This year they lucked out to win the Division with Kap. Can't believe they actually hung on in NE.
They ended hot (Marshawn Lynch was the first back to score on a carry against the 49ers defense in week 15 or 16), and I'm assuming Fitz arbitrarily loses them all four of their one-score games plus another (I really think he's that bad) and Seattle wins out with their backs to the wall.

Closed Thread