HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Wade Redden

Old
01-02-2013, 11:51 AM
zeus3007*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
http://www.sportsnet.ca/fanfuel/2012...gers_senators/

Newly hired general manager Bryan Murray obviously saw this trend with his aging defenceman and attempted to trade him twice during 2007-08.

Murray first attempted to deal Redden to the Edmonton Oilers at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft. But Redden invoked his no trade clause.

In February 2008, Ottawa had a deal in place with the San Jose Sharks to send Redden to the Sharks with defenceman Matt Carle and a draft pick coming back to Ottawa. Once again, Redden nixed the trade and expressed his desire to win a Stanley Cup in Ottawa.
Thanks. I do vaguely remember this now. For some reason I was thinking it was during his Ranger days, and I didn't remember that at all. I know Tambellini isn't a smart trader, but I didn't think even he would make a move for Redden after his downfall, ha ha.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 11:53 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Thought about the Islanders. But he probably just retire and fade away
with all that cash. Amnesty buy-out his last contract year. If the league gets it's way, Redden's cap hit may be included in this year even if the Rangers send him to the 'A'. That would eat up all their available cap space.
Considering the Isles have had such names as Mottau, Staios, Jurcina, etc. on their blue line as early as last season... I wouldn't rule out Snow kicking the tires on Redden if he is Amnestied. He could be a decent (and most likely cheap) option as a placeholder until someone like Reinhart or the other d-men prospects are ready to contribute to the Isles.

He was originally drafted #2 overall by the Islanders in his draft year - a stretch, but a bit of a homecoming nonetheless.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavy View Post
I saw a little segment about Redden. He basically said that the contract killed his career and he kind of regrets signing it. He said he can't wait until it's done so he can try and get back to the NHL. He would definitely take a 1-2 year deal for little money

If Redden really, really wanted back in the NHL, he could have failed to report to Hartford when he was demoted, which would have voided his NHL contract and allowed him to take his services elsewhere and an UFA.

Wade decided to collect his paycheck and play in the AHL instead.

That's all you need to know about Redden. The man has collected Millions and Millions. His family is set for life. Yet, money was more important to him than having an opportunity to play for a Cup.

Sad thing is I actually like Redden as a person. I've lost all respect for him as a player though. Even if his contract was cut in half, the level of emotion, and willingness to compete was embarassing. The man has no self-confidence left.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Boston could sign him, but I can't see them playing Redden with Chara. Redden is not a top pairing defenseman at this stage in his career. Probably not even top 4.
True. However I'd try him out as a 3rd pairing dman. Especially considering I suspect Hamilton will be in the press box quite a bit his rookie year. I would guess Redden would probably want to start somewhere fresh (avoid Ottawa & NYR). Chiarelli, Kelly & Chara are all familiar faces for Redden, maybe he'd be willing to sign a 1yr short money contract to prove he's still got it?

Chara Boychuk
Seidenberg Ference
Redden McQuaid
*Hamilton

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:06 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Sad thing is I actually like Redden as a person. I've lost all respect for him as a player though. Even if his contract was cut in half, the level of emotion, and willingness to compete was embarassing. The man has no self-confidence left.
Sens fans have sympathy for him (obviously). We saw his rise and fall as a player (it was a sad digression), and we'd welcome him with open arms (as a person). Ottawa is definitely a place where he could get his fire back. You'd be a fool and would be doing a disservice to your family for letting go of 20m.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Sens fans have sympathy for him (obviously). We saw his rise and fall as a player (it was a sad digression), and we'd welcome him with open arms (as a person). Ottawa is definitely a place where he could get his fire back. You'd be a fool and would be doing a disservice to your family for letting go of 20m.
While I agree, him making comments about how it ruined his career and he is regretful to have signed it, come across disingenuous. Had he truly felt that way he either would do everything possible to reignite said career; all evidence suggests he gave up, or move on from the Rangers. His family was easily content with what he already made. Not saying he was wrong to have accepted the money but spare us the "poor me."

Personally, I do not see any team taking a chance on him. At most he would make $1M, and even that is a bit generous. Regardless, his play as deteriorated to the extent he isn't NHL caliber these days.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:28 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
If Redden really, really wanted back in the NHL, he could have failed to report to Hartford when he was demoted, which would have voided his NHL contract and allowed him to take his services elsewhere and an UFA.

That's all you need to know about Redden. The man has collected Millions and Millions. His family is set for life. Yet, money was more important to him than having an opportunity to play for a Cup.

Yup.

I'd like to see you give up $26 million when you have a family to support.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:32 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Personally, I do not see any team taking a chance on him. At most he would make $1M, and even that is a bit generous. Regardless, his play as deteriorated to the extent he isn't NHL caliber these days.
I would think someone would take a chance on him if he can come super cheap, like league minimum cheap if he is serious about wanting to return to the NHL. He wouldn't be guaranteed a job, but at least he'd get a chance in a training camp scenario. Isles fans saw Steve Staios and Jay Pandolfo make the team last year in that exact way (not saying they were great moves or anything). Low risk move that could entice some teams. Just saying.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Holyhell
'Crumblers'

vCash: 642
I clicked on this thread thinking it was going to be brought up from 2005.

I'll post something worthwhile once I read through.

Holyhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:37 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I think they might have tried out Redden and Chara for a few games, but really didn't want to break up Chara-Phillips (because the pair was so effective), so decided Redden-deVries was the way to go. That's at least the way I recall it happening... maybe another old fart Sens fan like myself can corroborate?

Like I said before, though: you might remember them together because they spent a bit of PP time together?
With a good stretch run of bad years for us and undiciplined play from Barnaby, McCarthy, Hollweg, Simon, Oliwa, Puritan, etc.... we probably saw the Redden/Chara PP for the majority of most Ott vs NYR games, thus the misunderstanding of the (un)pairing.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:47 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

vCash: 50
Thread title is misleading, should read "Value of:Wade redden post buyout"

I clicked it with the impression the rangers were looking to trade him. One thing people forget was his play was starting to fall apart before he signed the big contract. It was pretty obvious in the 07 playoffs he was a step behind.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:17 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
Yup.

I'd like to see you give up $26 million when you have a family to support.

Oh poor ****ing Wade. He's made Millions upon Millions, his family is set for generations. And, had Wade decided to void his contract and play elsewhere, he would have been still getting paid. So don't give me that nonsense about him walking away from 26M.

Quote:
After the game, Redden told the Daily News that when this season ends, and he tries to chart a course back to the NHL, he will consider walking away from the remaining three years and $16.5 million on his Rangers contract.

"That's one of the options," Redden said. "There's that, there's coming back here, there's going to Europe. I don't know. It's a lot of money, but at the same time, I don't want to - it's only a short time that you have a career, so you want to be at the highest level as long as you can. Obviously, the money isn't the No. 1 thing."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...#ixzz2GqaqkeYg

If I was a professional hockey player with millions in the bank, and had the choice of getting retirement money and playing in a mickey-mouse league, or continue playing in the NHL while being paid a respectable salary, it's a no mother****ing brainer. My poor family. Boo hoo. Instead of having 31M saved up when I retire, I'll have 20M.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Oh poor ****ing Wade. He's made Millions upon Millions, his family is set for generations. And, had Wade decided to void his contract and play elsewhere, he would have been still getting paid. So don't give me that nonsense about him walking away from 26M.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...#ixzz2GqaqkeYg

If I was a professional hockey player with millions in the bank, and had the choice of getting retirement money and playing in a mickey-mouse league, or continue playing in the NHL while being paid a respectable salary, it's a no mother****ing brainer. My poor family. Boo hoo. Instead of having 31M saved up when I retire, I'll have 20M.
I completely disagree with you. I wouldn't walk away from that money, that would be uterly foolish imo.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Cogburn

Anything under 1.5 could be a bargain as a depth defender. Short term until it's all back together. Sucks he got the contract he did, and sucks he didn't live up to it, he could be worth more then he is now if he had been playing regularly in New York instead of....Connecticut?...

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
I completely disagree with you. I wouldn't walk away from that money, that would be uterly foolish imo.
I think at the time Redden could have fetched a 3/9M contract, with the opportunity of competing for the cup and continue playing in the NHL.

We're not talking about a player who played a few season's in the NHL for peanuts. Redden's living comfortably, and not because of the 39M contract he signed here.

I don't think it's utterly foolish to earn less money and continue playing in the most competitive league in the world when you're financially stable.

Fact is, Redden's decision proved his primary interest wasn't playing in the NHL any longer, or competing for the Cup. But rather, depositing checks as a has-been.

On top of that, how many athletes have walked away from bigger money to stay where they want? Numerous. Are they all foolish for doing so? I think not . . . .

Old
01-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
I think at the time Redden could have fetched a 3/9M contract, with the opportunity of competing for the cup and continue playing in the NHL.

We're not talking about a player who played a few season's in the NHL for peanuts. Redden's living comfortably, and not because of the 39M contract he signed here.

I don't think it's utterly foolish to earn less money and continue playing in the most competitive league in the world when you're financially stable.

Fact is, Redden's decision proved his primary interest wasn't playing in the NHL any longer, or competing for the Cup. But rather, depositing checks as a has-been.

On top of that, how many athletes have walked away from bigger money to stay where they want? Numerous. Are they all foolish for doing so? I think not . . . .
"3yr $9m" is fine & dandy but thats just speculation on your part. How can you be sure of that. The one thing Redden was sure of was that he had a contract signed for very good money. Blame your GM for over paying him. Don't blame Redden for collecting salary on his contract. "Walk away from $26m for a chance to compete for a Cup"????? Heck no. Take $1m less to play for a competitor rather than a cellar dwellar, sure. $26m is a lot to leave on the table. name me one player who has left that kind of dough on the table. Which player has signed a contract and willingly walked away from it to sign for millions less to play for a competitor? Nobody.

As a Ranger fan you can be upset with Redden for not playing up to expectations. But don't knock him for not willingly voiding his contract.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:53 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

I agree. Especially with Ference and McQuaid being pretty injury prone, and knowing that Hamilton will be spending some time in the press box, (With Krug and Johnson 7/8th dmen) I'd definitely take a chance on him, and I could definitely see Chiarelli doing it too.

Not sure if there's any leftover chemistry with Chara. He wouldn't be paired with him, but a veteran depth defender, especially at a cheap cost, is something this team should definitely not let pass by... Chiarelli is all about those low risk-medium/high reward signings.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:57 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:

I call BS on this, I dont see one person that would turn down 6.5mil a year. I would take him in EDM.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:58 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I would think someone would take a chance on him if he can come super cheap, like league minimum cheap if he is serious about wanting to return to the NHL. He wouldn't be guaranteed a job, but at least he'd get a chance in a training camp scenario. Isles fans saw Steve Staios and Jay Pandolfo make the team last year in that exact way (not saying they were great moves or anything). Low risk move that could entice some teams. Just saying.
A Ranger fan posted last season, that Reddan was a good mentor for the Whale blueliners.

If Vis and Streit both leave as ufa, would you favor Snow making a pitch for Redden,as the #7 d-man and mentor?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 02:01 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
He probably wouldn't sign with Edmonton, but I'd try to sign him as a 3rd pairing guy.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 02:05 PM
Fogelhund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
He probably wouldn't sign with Edmonton, but I'd try to sign him as a 3rd pairing guy.
Actually Edmonton is one of the places I could see him signing. He would likely sign a one year deal, and try to play his way to being a regular NHL guy again.

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 02:08 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
A Ranger fan posted last season, that Reddan was a good mentor for the Whale blueliners.

If Vis and Streit both leave as ufa, would you favor Snow making a pitch for Redden,as the #7 d-man and mentor?
I highly doubt Streit would leave the Isles, he's got be priority #1 once this damn forsaken lockout is over. Damnit!

Visnovsky, he's a goner. So we would have Streit, Hamonic, and McDonald. You bet I'd take a chance on Redden if he's available in that fashion. I don't think it would hurt to at least offer him a spot in training camp and it would be all on him from there. I'm not comfortable having multiple rookies on the blue line, are you?

Granted, I know nothing of Redden ever since he was exiled to the AHL - I'm thinking a former premium player like him could handle sitting in the press box and imparting some knowledge and support to the swarm of prospects that we're hoping pan out. If he still sucks in training camp, cut him. No harm, no foul. It just seems like a minimal risk with a decent ROI move that Snow has repeatedly made during his tenure.

I don't know, but the Isles are 'local' considering his Ranger/Whale status. He wouldn't need to uproot at least. Plus, it would add one more element to the Isles-Rangers trash talk.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:10 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
"3yr $9m" is fine & dandy but thats just speculation on your part. How can you be sure of that. The one thing Redden was sure of was that he had a contract signed for very good money. Blame your GM for over paying him. Don't blame Redden for collecting salary on his contract. "Walk away from $26m for a chance to compete for a Cup"????? Heck no. Take $1m less to play for a competitor rather than a cellar dwellar, sure. $26m is a lot to leave on the table. name me one player who has left that kind of dough on the table. Which player has signed a contract and willingly walked away from it to sign for millions less to play for a competitor? Nobody.

As a Ranger fan you can be upset with Redden for not playing up to expectations. But don't knock him for not willingly voiding his contract.
Redden publicly stated that he wants to play in the NHL. He publicly stated that money isn't priority #1. Yet he opted to void the rest of his career so he can continue collecting the albatross contract he signed. He's full of ****.

If we were talking about Ryan Hollweg, my opinion would greatly differ. We're talking about a multi-multi-multi millionaire who still felt he could be an asset to an NHL team.

The numbers I proposed may be speculation, but it's in the realm of reality.

I don't care if Redden played for the Flyers. Am I bitter? Of course I am, but bitterness has absolutely no impact on why I lost all respect for him.

Call me old-school, but I have a thing for pride. Especially with professional athletes. Especially when they're stupid-rich. Especially when they have a choice to continue playing where they want to, for less, or where they don't want to, for more.

When Wade's lying on his death-bed hopefully many, many years down the road, I bet you anything he would have chosen a different path than the current one he's on right now. I bet you his decisions would have been different.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I call BS on this, I dont see one person that would turn down 6.5mil a year. I would take him in EDM.
If you were rich, and had a 500k salary but were absolutely miserable at work, would you look for a new job for about 200k salary and the opportunity of being happier?

I sure as hell would. I think Redden should have failed to report to Hartford. I think Wade could have gotten a 1 or 2 year contract worth about 2-3M per season. I think he could have turned his career around and continued playing in the league.

Money isn't everything to everybody, especially when you already have a lot of it. But to Wade, it was. And I have every right to say I lost respect for him for doing so.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Fogelhund

Quote:
Redden publicly stated that he wants to play in the NHL. He publicly stated that money isn't priority #1. Yet he opted to void the rest of his career so he can continue collecting the albatross contract he signed. He's full of ****.
Really? So at the time he didn't think he could play out his contract at a high level? So it is your belief that he knew his level of play was going to deteriorate, but he took the cash anyway?

It isn't an albatross, if he continued to play at the level he had previously, and the Rangers who offered him the contract certainly thought they were going to get value.

If you think a man with family is going to walk away from $26 million, for his family, then you are mistaken. Family man yourself?

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote