HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

SF • Jan. 3 • Canada 1, United States 5

View Poll Results: Who wins?
Canada in regulation 186 53.14%
Canada in OT/SO 40 11.43%
U.S. in regulation 92 26.29%
U.S. in OT/SO 32 9.14%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 1004
This one should be a tight checking low scoring affair. May the best team win and hopefully the officiating won't ruin the game.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:27 PM
bigbadbruins7

vCash: 500
3-2 USA. Canada gets to play Russia for the bronze

Old
01-02-2013, 12:34 PM
JetsFlyHigh

No one played Russia the way Canada did few days ago. Russia could've not got any goals at all if it wasn't because of Scheifele's misplay.

If they can come out like they did against the Russians, then Canada is set. Going back to the US-Canada game, Subban was solid, and is trending upward when it comes to saves, the only goal by the US (by Jacob Trouba, GO JACOB!) was a breakaway counterattack in a power play.
USA's goals are against the median teams. Plus, they had 3 games in 3 days, they are tired.

In the other Semis, Sweden would definitely dominate, because Russia has become a "meh" team, since Slovakia pushed them, and then Canada outplayed them, and now with the Swiss scare, this team is deflated.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:35 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
I've never seen a canadian predict a loss for team canada ever
You must not be paying very close attention then

Old
01-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Sad Leafs fan

vCash: 1807
I've been impressed with the speed and quick crisp passes of Team USA the last few years.
Canada needs to play a hard hitting physical game to slow them down. Yes, The US can play physical too but we need to initiate it and attempt to slow them down. The American game is offense and speed. Our game is more the grinding, physical style.
If we can throw them off or at least slow them down, we'll have a chance (as long as Subban plays well) If not, it might be a long night...errr day. One thing in our favour is Gibson is due for a bad game. And then there's the officials, who knows how the game will be called.
I will say this, the team that wins this game wins gold.

Good luck to both teams fans and let's all try to stay classy

Old
01-02-2013, 12:38 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

This game will come down to Subban vs Gibson IMO. USA looks very impressive this year, should be close.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:39 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
Because sometimes, you're not the best.
You're my hero (:

Old
01-02-2013, 12:41 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Canada wins in a blowout.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:43 PM
newfy

Will be interesting to see the impact of Jenner on this game. Hes that physical third line center that can create offense that plays a styl e that should help cancel out the Americans strengths.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:45 PM
JetsFlyHigh

Quote:
Because sometimes, you're not the best.
Sometimes, even if you are not the best, you still win. Ultimately, winners believe they can win.
Blatantly saying that you've never seen a Canadian predict a loss, is a lie. Look around you, 'cause you sound ignorant.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:45 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

The USA forwards have looked fine the goalies they played in the two losses decided to stand on their head. Combine 86 saves in two games for those goalies. That's not normal...

Old
01-02-2013, 12:46 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
I've never seen a canadian predict a loss for team canada ever
No need to exaggerate to make us look bad, in fact I actually predicted we would lose to the U.S. when we played them the first time, and so did others. There were also Canadians who predicted a loss against Russia. Stop wearing your Euro goggles.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:52 PM
ronnyweed

Jenner with the game winner and A momentum changing hit

Old
01-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Will be interesting to see the impact of Jenner on this game. Hes that physical third line center that can create offense that plays a styl e that should help cancel out the Americans strengths.
I don't see one player (outside the goaltenders) having that much to say about the game.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:55 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

This game is going to be a tough one, no doubt. The U.S. looks different after playing Slovakia and the Czechs. I knew they would win those games, but not by such a huge margin. I hope we can contain their speed and forecheck, last time around they gave us some trouble with that though thankfully Malcolm had a solid game.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:56 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 9000
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I think this game really comes down to Malcolm Subban. If he has a great game, then the Canadians are going to take it. If he plays like he did in the pre-tournament and in the first few games, then I think the Americans take it. The US's offense is operating on a much higher level than it was when we played the Canadians now that Gaudreau is clicking and the PP is one fire. If Canada takes penalties, then it could put them in trouble. Despite how good the USA PK has been, taking penalties against the Canadians is still a very bad idea.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:03 PM
ponder

There are no weak teams left, with the single game elimination format any team could win from this point onwards, and I think they'll likely all be close games. With that being said, I do think Canada are the strongest team left by a decent margin, I expect us to win this game and the gold.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
I think this game really comes down to Malcolm Subban. If he has a great game, then the Canadians are going to take it. If he plays like he did in the pre-tournament and in the first few games, then I think the Americans take it. The US's offense is operating on a much higher level than it was when we played the Canadians now that Gaudreau is clicking and the PP is one fire. If Canada takes penalties, then it could put them in trouble. Despite how good the USA PK has been, taking penalties against the Canadians is still a very bad idea.
I think the big question is whether the US is playing that much better than their back-to-back 2-1 losses against Russia and Canada or was the level of competition against Slovakia and Czech Republic that much lower? Guess we will all find out tomorrow. Nonetheless, it should be a close game as it always is between Canada-USA.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Mehar

It will be a close game with Canada pulling it out. I do not want to predict the score, because that is irrelevant. Sweden will beat Russia. Subban will come up big in the Gold Medal Game. Canada wins Gold, Sweden Silver, and the US beats Russia in an exciting Bronze Medal Game. I predicted Russia will not medal before the tournament, and that prediction will stand. Too bad the Swiss could not eliminate Russia today. Sweden will take care of that tomorrow.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:08 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
I think the big question is whether the US is playing that much better than their back-to-back 2-1 losses against Russia and Canada or was the level of competition against Slovakia and Czech Republic that much lower? Guess we will all find out tomorrow. Nonetheless, it should be a close game as it always is between Canada-USA.
We ran into a hot goalie in both games...

Old
01-02-2013, 01:13 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
We ran into a hot goalie in both games...
That's not an excuse, its not like Subban was the only reason we won. You're acting like he literally stole the game. Gibson had a lot of big saves as well and to be honest, there wasn't much separating the teams. Sometimes you just lose a close tight checking game, it happens to everybody. Tomorrow's game should be a beauty that could go either way.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
5-0 Canada.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:17 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
That's not an excuse, its not like Subban was the only reason we won. You're acting like he literally stole the game. Gibson had a lot of big saves as well and to be honest, there wasn't much separating the teams. Sometimes you just lose a close tight checking game, it happens to everybody. Tomorrow's game should be a beauty that could go either way.
He had 42-44 saves.... He kind of did steal you the game....Gibson played well. In all fairness you only scored two goals....It's not like you played that well offensively as well.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:25 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Canada wins in a blowout.
Funny stuff. Considering they outshot the hell out of the Canadians before hitting their stride.

Gonna quote this when it doesn't happen.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Howboutthempanthers
No Bandwagon Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson9 View Post
I have watched RUS vs SWISS. A thriller and a character molder. As for both US and Canada... There's rule in math: If it seems easy, you're doing it
wrong.
Well team USA did lose two games so...

Closed Thread