HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

QF • Jan. 2 • Czech Republic 0, United States 7

View Poll Results: Who wins?
CZE in regulation 16 11.94%
CZE in OT/SO 20 14.93%
USA in regulation 93 69.40%
USA in OT/SO 5 3.73%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
That certainly isn't 'no ice time'.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Awesome to see Gaudreau and Miller step up big time today. Perhaps the team can finally get rolling.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:57 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
That certainly isn't 'no ice time'.
It certainly isn't on par with the ice-time of the other players in the top 10 in scoring in the tournament.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
It certainly isn't on par with the ice-time of the other players in the top 10 in scoring in the tournament.
Who cares? The team as a whole is doing well. What is the problem with Galchenyuk being one cog in the overall machine?

Old
01-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Do I live in an alternate universe? Cause where I'm from Galchekyuk leads the team in points.

Not sure why there's even a discussion...

Old
01-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
There wasn't any need to play him in the blowout games. And I like that strategy because we know what we're getting from Gally. But the other lines needed to mesh together and Housley gave them the ice time in garbage minutes against already humiliated teams. It's a simple case of resting the star player.

Also see how he had his most minutes played against Canada and Russia.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny B. Goode

How about we forget about this Gally talk, and talk about how awesome Mr. Johnny Hockey has been.
Man, its hard not to get your hopes up as a Flames fan.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
It's understandable how Americans are obviously focused on team success and results while Habs fans are more focused on Galchenyuk's success.

It's also understandable, but a tad bit unfortunate, that Americans probably don't mind Galchenyuk being used "unfairly" by continually reducing his icetime, shufflng all lines except his and keeping him with Kuraly as long as their team wins.

Kind of funny how important results are because Galchenyuk is still tied for team lead in scoring and was 2nd in tournament scoring prior to today's match (i.e. results/points/production). I guess only Galchenyuk's production has a 1 day expiry date. No wonder Miller, Gaudreau and others seem to be given every chance to succeed and a clean slate after a poor game. Heck, even Grimaldi was given a lot more icetime after being benched.
I'm pretty sure that "performance" isn't just about points. Maybe Miller and Gaudreau are given more chances because the other facets of their games have been good even when not putting up points while Galchenyuk hurts the team in those other facets and needs to be dynamic and productive offensively to have value; maybe.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
It's understandable how Americans are obviously focused on team success and results while Habs fans are more focused on Galchenyuk's success.

It's also understandable, but a tad bit unfortunate, that Americans probably don't mind Galchenyuk being used "unfairly" by continually reducing his icetime, shufflng all lines except his and keeping him with Kuraly as long as their team wins.

Kind of funny how important results are because Galchenyuk is still tied for team lead in scoring and was 2nd in tournament scoring prior to today's match (i.e. results/points/production). I guess only Galchenyuk's production has a 1 day expiry date. No wonder Miller, Gaudreau and others seem to be given every chance to succeed and a clean slate after a poor game. Heck, even Grimaldi was given a lot more icetime after being benched.
Gally is getting points, no question; however anyone who has watched the USA's last 2 games would come to the conclusion he has not been a factor in 2 lopsided wins. Maybe next year is his time to shine or maybe the amaricans just play a team game he has trouble grasping. But this is 1 case points are deceiving, Troechek has just been better, hard to argue the resluts thus far. I'm not sure how his teammates look at him when he is sulking, despite 2 big wins. You got to accept your role and be a team guy. Grimaldi is in the same boat. These 2 seem to have an air of selfishness to their outlook. Its not about personal success, its about the team.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:36 PM
NuxFan09

I picked the USA to win this game but not by a score like 7-0. Really thought the Czech's would be a lot more competitive.

Oh well, see ya in the semis, Americans. Your tournament ends there.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:37 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Who cares? The team as a whole is doing well. What is the problem with Galchenyuk being one cog in the overall machine?
It's Habs fans. We don't care about the USA we care about Galchenyuk. Which is why I am clearly stating the lamentations of the Habs fans are realistic because of the silly restrictions but at the same time they are ridiculous because USA has made it to the semi-finals.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:43 PM
MadFlava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Do I live in an alternate universe? Cause where I'm from Galchekyuk leads the team in points.

Not sure why there's even a discussion...
Agrees. Let's focus on how Team USA is playing at the moment and how they match up against Canada. No doubt tomorrow's game will be one for the ages.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Took this post from a poster on the Habs board by "Galchenyuk15"

Compilation of ice-time for Galchenyuk in the 5 games of USA :

Germany : 12m19 / 1g-2p +3 / ES : 6m49 / PP : 5:30
Russia : 15m46 / 1p / ES : 10m54 / PP : 4:52
Canada : 17m38 / 1p / ES : 10m20 / PP : 7:18
Slovakia : 13m42 / 1g-1p -1 / ES : 8m35 / PP : 5:07
Czech Rep : 11m22 / 1p / ES : 8m14 / PP : 3:08

Total : 5 games 2g-6p=8pts +2

Time On Ice : 70m47 / ES : 44m52 / PP : 25m55
TOI / Game : 14m09 / ES : 8m58 / PP : 5m11

Product 1 point each 8m51

He hasn't been amazing, but before this game he was leading the team in scoring, and was in on half of USA goals in the whole tourney, and was in all goals scored vs both Canada and Russia.
Interesting, if the stats are indeed accurate, the USA play better when Gally gets less ice time. Maybe Housely is not so inept.

Regardless you don't sit Troechek, Vesey for Gally to up his stats now, not off the USA's 2 impreesive wins.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:47 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Interesting, if the stats are indeed accurate, the USA play better when Gally gets less ice time. Maybe Housely is not so inept.

Regardless you don't sit Troechek, Vesey for Gally to up his stats now, not off the USA's 2 impreesive wins.
If the USA took Kuraly off Gally's line, put Trocheck as his center, or put Gally at center and rotated another winger up. I think they'll have a decent chance at beating Canada. However, if you go status quo, minimizing the offensive impact from one of your best players because you play him with Kuraly, fat chance the States will beat Canada.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Interactif

Quote:
If the USA took Kuraly off Gally's line, put Trocheck as his center, or put Gally at center and rotated another winger up. I think they'll have a decent chance at beating Canada. However, if you go status quo, minimizing the offensive impact from one of your best players because you play him with Kuraly, fat chance the States will beat Canada.
Or you may mess up chemistry already working with Troechek's line by plugging in Gally.

After the CAN game, we mentioned the chemistry was wrong with the lines, you need Dustin Brown types to create space and do the dirty work on scoring lines. Just plugging in 3 offensive players on one line does not always work.

I thinl Housely would be crazy to change things up now, you can't outscore Canada in a shoot out game anyway. Best way is play a good 2 way game and hope you get break and great goaltending from Gibson.

Typed on BB.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:56 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
I'm pretty sure that "performance" isn't just about points. Maybe Miller and Gaudreau are given more chances because the other facets of their games have been good even when not putting up points while Galchenyuk hurts the team in those other facets and needs to be dynamic and productive offensively to have value; maybe.
I would be inclined to believe that if, based on what I have seen and what others have posted, there were any indication that Galchenyuk actually "hurt" the team enough to warrant him now being used as a 4th liner. I also don't think it's any stretch to claim Kuraly has been atrocious as a center. Who in their right mind would use Kuraly as a center over Galchenyuk? There's just no way. Charles Sarault is the center in Sarnia because he cannot play wing and he's actually a good center!

Quote:
Gally is getting points, no question; however anyone who has watched the USA's last 2 games would come to the conclusion he has not been a factor in 2 lopsided wins. [...] But this is 1 case points are deceiving, Troechek has just been better, hard to argue the resluts thus far. I'm not sure how his teammates look at him when he is sulking, despite 2 big wins. You got to accept your role and be a team guy. Grimaldi is in the same boat. These 2 seem to have an air of selfishness to their outlook. Its not about personal success, its about the team.
Galchenyuk didn't have his best game against Slovakia. Today's performance has nothing to do with anything because today's icetime wasn't based off of today's performance if you see what I mean (well, unless Gally made a huge mistake somewhere today that led to his line being used as the 4th) That still leaves his 3 previous games where I don't think anyone will claim Miller & co. where performing any better and thus deserved more icetime these last two games. In fact, in the first 3 games, Galchenyuk accomplished a lot more than any other forward on his team.

Calling Galchenyuk selfish is just completely unfair. Look at Yakupov trying to perform end-to-end rushes, look at Grimaldi trying to do the same. Galchenyuk has never acted as a puckhog. He didn't take any selfish penalties either. As for accepting roles, that's garbage: Galchenyuk made the team to be an offensive force, a key part of it, and everyone knows that. Now he's stuck playing with Kuraly, seeing his icetime reduced each subsequent game and hasn't done anything relative to his own teammates that would explain why he's in this position and not others - this last sentence is important.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:57 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Gally does not deserve more ice time.
he deserves more ice time then JT Miller.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Maybe on the PP/offensive zone.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:07 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Why? Miller is playing fantastic hockey.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman

This hoard of Habs fans complaining about Gally ALL THE TIME are so annoying

The team just won 9-3 and 7-0. I'm sure Housley wouldn't change a thing. Give up

Old
01-02-2013, 01:29 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Or you may mess up chemistry already working with Troechek's line by plugging in Gally.

After the CAN game, we mentioned the chemistry was wrong with the lines, you need Dustin Brown types to create space and do the dirty work on scoring lines. Just plugging in 3 offensive players on one line does not always work.

I thinl Housely would be crazy to change things up now, you can't outscore Canada in a shoot out game anyway. Best way is play a good 2 way game and hope you get break and great goaltending from Gibson.

Typed on BB.
Well, what if they moved Gally to center and brought Biggs as a winger? To create space and to go to the front of the net? Lucia could come from his 13th forward role to take Biggs spot (not like the 4th line does much but eat time) and Kuraly can be relegated to a PKer.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzator View Post
I picked the USA to win this game but not by a score like 7-0. Really thought the Czech's would be a lot more competitive.

Oh well, see ya in the semis, Americans. Your tournament ends there.
Thanks for the arrogance. You will look mighty stupid if US wins tomorrow. Actually, based on the fact that these are two closely matched teams your arrogance makes you look stupid today; sorry for the previous mischaracterization.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:16 PM
thrillhous

Quote:
Thanks for the arrogance. You will look mighty stupid if US wins tomorrow. Actually, based on the fact that these are two closely matched teams your arrogance makes you look stupid today; sorry for the previous mischaracterization.
This deserves a

Old
01-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Fairweather

You can't even have good-natured ribbing without someone taking it too seriously. He even had the tongue emoticon to show that it was tongue-in-cheek.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:58 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Quote:
Is this a joke? If you actually read his post, you would see that he was just messing around.

Closed Thread