HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

QF • Jan. 2 • Czech Republic 0, United States 7

View Poll Results: Who wins?
CZE in regulation 16 11.94%
CZE in OT/SO 20 14.93%
USA in regulation 93 69.40%
USA in OT/SO 5 3.73%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-02-2013, 11:51 AM
  #926
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
That certainly isn't 'no ice time'.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 11:56 AM
  #927
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,124
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Awesome to see Gaudreau and Miller step up big time today. Perhaps the team can finally get rolling.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 11:57 AM
  #928
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,313
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
That certainly isn't 'no ice time'.
It certainly isn't on par with the ice-time of the other players in the top 10 in scoring in the tournament.

WeThreeKings is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 12:06 PM
  #929
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The Abyss
Country: United States
Posts: 19,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
It certainly isn't on par with the ice-time of the other players in the top 10 in scoring in the tournament.
Who cares? The team as a whole is doing well. What is the problem with Galchenyuk being one cog in the overall machine?

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 12:08 PM
  #930
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: Germany
Posts: 33,258
vCash: 500
Do I live in an alternate universe? Cause where I'm from Galchekyuk leads the team in points.

Not sure why there's even a discussion...

Machinehead is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 12:14 PM
  #931
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
It certainly isn't on par with the ice-time of the other players in the top 10 in scoring in the tournament.
There wasn't any need to play him in the blowout games. And I like that strategy because we know what we're getting from Gally. But the other lines needed to mesh together and Housley gave them the ice time in garbage minutes against already humiliated teams. It's a simple case of resting the star player.

Also see how he had his most minutes played against Canada and Russia.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 12:20 PM
  #932
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny B. Goode
 
Walkingthroughforest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,147
vCash: 500
How about we forget about this Gally talk, and talk about how awesome Mr. Johnny Hockey has been.
Man, its hard not to get your hopes up as a Flames fan.

Walkingthroughforest is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 12:33 PM
  #933
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
It's understandable how Americans are obviously focused on team success and results while Habs fans are more focused on Galchenyuk's success.

It's also understandable, but a tad bit unfortunate, that Americans probably don't mind Galchenyuk being used "unfairly" by continually reducing his icetime, shufflng all lines except his and keeping him with Kuraly as long as their team wins.

Kind of funny how important results are because Galchenyuk is still tied for team lead in scoring and was 2nd in tournament scoring prior to today's match (i.e. results/points/production). I guess only Galchenyuk's production has a 1 day expiry date. No wonder Miller, Gaudreau and others seem to be given every chance to succeed and a clean slate after a poor game. Heck, even Grimaldi was given a lot more icetime after being benched.
I'm pretty sure that "performance" isn't just about points. Maybe Miller and Gaudreau are given more chances because the other facets of their games have been good even when not putting up points while Galchenyuk hurts the team in those other facets and needs to be dynamic and productive offensively to have value; maybe.

Bardof425* is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 12:34 PM
  #934
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
It's understandable how Americans are obviously focused on team success and results while Habs fans are more focused on Galchenyuk's success.

It's also understandable, but a tad bit unfortunate, that Americans probably don't mind Galchenyuk being used "unfairly" by continually reducing his icetime, shufflng all lines except his and keeping him with Kuraly as long as their team wins.

Kind of funny how important results are because Galchenyuk is still tied for team lead in scoring and was 2nd in tournament scoring prior to today's match (i.e. results/points/production). I guess only Galchenyuk's production has a 1 day expiry date. No wonder Miller, Gaudreau and others seem to be given every chance to succeed and a clean slate after a poor game. Heck, even Grimaldi was given a lot more icetime after being benched.
Gally is getting points, no question; however anyone who has watched the USA's last 2 games would come to the conclusion he has not been a factor in 2 lopsided wins. Maybe next year is his time to shine or maybe the amaricans just play a team game he has trouble grasping. But this is 1 case points are deceiving, Troechek has just been better, hard to argue the resluts thus far. I'm not sure how his teammates look at him when he is sulking, despite 2 big wins. You got to accept your role and be a team guy. Grimaldi is in the same boat. These 2 seem to have an air of selfishness to their outlook. Its not about personal success, its about the team.

Interactif is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 12:36 PM
  #935
NuxFan09
Registered User
 
NuxFan09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,282
vCash: 500
I picked the USA to win this game but not by a score like 7-0. Really thought the Czech's would be a lot more competitive.

Oh well, see ya in the semis, Americans. Your tournament ends there.

NuxFan09 is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 12:37 PM
  #936
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,313
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Who cares? The team as a whole is doing well. What is the problem with Galchenyuk being one cog in the overall machine?
It's Habs fans. We don't care about the USA we care about Galchenyuk. Which is why I am clearly stating the lamentations of the Habs fans are realistic because of the silly restrictions but at the same time they are ridiculous because USA has made it to the semi-finals.

WeThreeKings is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 12:43 PM
  #937
MadFlava
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 17
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Do I live in an alternate universe? Cause where I'm from Galchekyuk leads the team in points.

Not sure why there's even a discussion...
Agrees. Let's focus on how Team USA is playing at the moment and how they match up against Canada. No doubt tomorrow's game will be one for the ages.

MadFlava is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 12:45 PM
  #938
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Took this post from a poster on the Habs board by "Galchenyuk15"

Compilation of ice-time for Galchenyuk in the 5 games of USA :

Germany : 12m19 / 1g-2p +3 / ES : 6m49 / PP : 5:30
Russia : 15m46 / 1p / ES : 10m54 / PP : 4:52
Canada : 17m38 / 1p / ES : 10m20 / PP : 7:18
Slovakia : 13m42 / 1g-1p -1 / ES : 8m35 / PP : 5:07
Czech Rep : 11m22 / 1p / ES : 8m14 / PP : 3:08

Total : 5 games 2g-6p=8pts +2

Time On Ice : 70m47 / ES : 44m52 / PP : 25m55
TOI / Game : 14m09 / ES : 8m58 / PP : 5m11

Product 1 point each 8m51

He hasn't been amazing, but before this game he was leading the team in scoring, and was in on half of USA goals in the whole tourney, and was in all goals scored vs both Canada and Russia.
Interesting, if the stats are indeed accurate, the USA play better when Gally gets less ice time. Maybe Housely is not so inept.

Regardless you don't sit Troechek, Vesey for Gally to up his stats now, not off the USA's 2 impreesive wins.

Interactif is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 12:47 PM
  #939
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,313
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Interesting, if the stats are indeed accurate, the USA play better when Gally gets less ice time. Maybe Housely is not so inept.

Regardless you don't sit Troechek, Vesey for Gally to up his stats now, not off the USA's 2 impreesive wins.
If the USA took Kuraly off Gally's line, put Trocheck as his center, or put Gally at center and rotated another winger up. I think they'll have a decent chance at beating Canada. However, if you go status quo, minimizing the offensive impact from one of your best players because you play him with Kuraly, fat chance the States will beat Canada.

WeThreeKings is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 12:55 PM
  #940
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
If the USA took Kuraly off Gally's line, put Trocheck as his center, or put Gally at center and rotated another winger up. I think they'll have a decent chance at beating Canada. However, if you go status quo, minimizing the offensive impact from one of your best players because you play him with Kuraly, fat chance the States will beat Canada.
Or you may mess up chemistry already working with Troechek's line by plugging in Gally.

After the CAN game, we mentioned the chemistry was wrong with the lines, you need Dustin Brown types to create space and do the dirty work on scoring lines. Just plugging in 3 offensive players on one line does not always work.

I thinl Housely would be crazy to change things up now, you can't outscore Canada in a shoot out game anyway. Best way is play a good 2 way game and hope you get break and great goaltending from Gibson.

Typed on BB.

Interactif is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 12:56 PM
  #941
jedimyrmidon
Registered User
 
jedimyrmidon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
I'm pretty sure that "performance" isn't just about points. Maybe Miller and Gaudreau are given more chances because the other facets of their games have been good even when not putting up points while Galchenyuk hurts the team in those other facets and needs to be dynamic and productive offensively to have value; maybe.
I would be inclined to believe that if, based on what I have seen and what others have posted, there were any indication that Galchenyuk actually "hurt" the team enough to warrant him now being used as a 4th liner. I also don't think it's any stretch to claim Kuraly has been atrocious as a center. Who in their right mind would use Kuraly as a center over Galchenyuk? There's just no way. Charles Sarault is the center in Sarnia because he cannot play wing and he's actually a good center!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Gally is getting points, no question; however anyone who has watched the USA's last 2 games would come to the conclusion he has not been a factor in 2 lopsided wins. [...] But this is 1 case points are deceiving, Troechek has just been better, hard to argue the resluts thus far. I'm not sure how his teammates look at him when he is sulking, despite 2 big wins. You got to accept your role and be a team guy. Grimaldi is in the same boat. These 2 seem to have an air of selfishness to their outlook. Its not about personal success, its about the team.
Galchenyuk didn't have his best game against Slovakia. Today's performance has nothing to do with anything because today's icetime wasn't based off of today's performance if you see what I mean (well, unless Gally made a huge mistake somewhere today that led to his line being used as the 4th) That still leaves his 3 previous games where I don't think anyone will claim Miller & co. where performing any better and thus deserved more icetime these last two games. In fact, in the first 3 games, Galchenyuk accomplished a lot more than any other forward on his team.

Calling Galchenyuk selfish is just completely unfair. Look at Yakupov trying to perform end-to-end rushes, look at Grimaldi trying to do the same. Galchenyuk has never acted as a puckhog. He didn't take any selfish penalties either. As for accepting roles, that's garbage: Galchenyuk made the team to be an offensive force, a key part of it, and everyone knows that. Now he's stuck playing with Kuraly, seeing his icetime reduced each subsequent game and hasn't done anything relative to his own teammates that would explain why he's in this position and not others - this last sentence is important.

jedimyrmidon is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 12:57 PM
  #942
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,692
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Gally does not deserve more ice time.
he deserves more ice time then JT Miller.

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 01:05 PM
  #943
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
he deserves more ice time then JT Miller.
Maybe on the PP/offensive zone.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 01:07 PM
  #944
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
he deserves more ice time then JT Miller.
Why? Miller is playing fantastic hockey.

guest1467 is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 01:12 PM
  #945
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman
 
Sean Monahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,188
vCash: 50
This hoard of Habs fans complaining about Gally ALL THE TIME are so annoying

The team just won 9-3 and 7-0. I'm sure Housley wouldn't change a thing. Give up

Sean Monahan is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 01:29 PM
  #946
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,313
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Or you may mess up chemistry already working with Troechek's line by plugging in Gally.

After the CAN game, we mentioned the chemistry was wrong with the lines, you need Dustin Brown types to create space and do the dirty work on scoring lines. Just plugging in 3 offensive players on one line does not always work.

I thinl Housely would be crazy to change things up now, you can't outscore Canada in a shoot out game anyway. Best way is play a good 2 way game and hope you get break and great goaltending from Gibson.

Typed on BB.
Well, what if they moved Gally to center and brought Biggs as a winger? To create space and to go to the front of the net? Lucia could come from his 13th forward role to take Biggs spot (not like the 4th line does much but eat time) and Kuraly can be relegated to a PKer.

WeThreeKings is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 01:32 PM
  #947
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzator View Post
I picked the USA to win this game but not by a score like 7-0. Really thought the Czech's would be a lot more competitive.

Oh well, see ya in the semis, Americans. Your tournament ends there.
Thanks for the arrogance. You will look mighty stupid if US wins tomorrow. Actually, based on the fact that these are two closely matched teams your arrogance makes you look stupid today; sorry for the previous mischaracterization.

Bardof425* is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 02:16 PM
  #948
thrillhous
Registered User
 
thrillhous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Thanks for the arrogance. You will look mighty stupid if US wins tomorrow. Actually, based on the fact that these are two closely matched teams your arrogance makes you look stupid today; sorry for the previous mischaracterization.
This deserves a

thrillhous is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 03:33 PM
  #949
Fairweather
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 824
vCash: 500
You can't even have good-natured ribbing without someone taking it too seriously. He even had the tongue emoticon to show that it was tongue-in-cheek.

Fairweather is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 03:58 PM
  #950
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man
 
TherapyforGlencross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,365
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Thanks for the arrogance. You will look mighty stupid if US wins tomorrow. Actually, based on the fact that these are two closely matched teams your arrogance makes you look stupid today; sorry for the previous mischaracterization.
Is this a joke? If you actually read his post, you would see that he was just messing around.

TherapyforGlencross is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.