Old
01-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Wee Baby Seamus
I got your back

vCash: 500
Sturridge is officially gone.

Quote:
Liverpool FC ‏@LFC
Liverpool Football Club is delighted to confirm the signing of striker Daniel Sturridge from Chelsea. More on http://Liverpoolfc.com #lfc

Old
01-02-2013, 11:16 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFr96 View Post
Sturridge is officially gone.
If he had the football brains to match his talent, he'd be a very good Striker. Unfortunately, it seemed that every time he got the ball, he was going to fire off a quick ineffective strike from distance, or try to take on the entire defense by himself. If there was ever a player you could guess wouldn't pass, it'd be Sturridge.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:00 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
If he had the football brains to match his talent, he'd be a very good Striker. Unfortunately, it seemed that every time he got the ball, he was going to fire off a quick ineffective strike from distance, or try to take on the entire defense by himself. If there was ever a player you could guess wouldn't pass, it'd be Sturridge.
Oozes skill and full of pace, lacks IQ and dedication. He might work better under a manager like Rogers (who knows him pretty well). He was never ready to adapt to playing as a winger, so he didn't fit in the current system. He likes scoring goals, but he needs to keep his ego in check. I wish it worked out at Chelsea, just so much talent.

Sell Sturridge at 12 and get Ba at 7. If a deal is made, I'll take it. Sure you are losing a few years, but I think Ba will is better as a short-term option

Still need a CB and a midfielder after this.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Freak187

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Oozes skill and full of pace, lacks IQ and dedication. He might work better under a manager like Rogers (who knows him pretty well). He was never ready to adapt to playing as a winger, so he didn't fit in the current system. He likes scoring goals, but he needs to keep his ego in check. I wish it worked out at Chelsea, just so much talent.

Sell Sturridge at 12 and get Ba at 7. If a deal is made, I'll take it. Sure you are losing a few years, but I think Ba will is better as a short-term option

Still need a CB and a midfielder after this.
Curious to see how it will work out with Suarez also in attack. Suarez is a player that does everything on instinct/gut-feeling. Two of those types of players is making your squad crazy. Gerrard will go mad

Maybe Sturridge is bought with in mind that Suarez will leave at the end of the season? Don't know the rumours though.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:19 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

What happens to Torres if Chelsea gets Ba? Both stay?

Old
01-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Joe Cole having medical at West Ham. They cannot loan anyone else from Liverpool this season so...it's a permanent deal!

Old
01-02-2013, 01:42 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
You need options up front. For the time being, both stay. I wonder if during the summer they would make a deal with Atletico to take Torres+cash for Falcao (doubtful). With the formation Chelsea play, having potentially four strikers might be a surplus. It works at United since they have two senior and two younger strikers in a 4-4-2 formation. But with a lone striker, you need two senior and a young striker.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:44 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

So Ba to chelsea is done according to Pardew

http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...-deal-is-done-

Old
01-02-2013, 04:09 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Joe Cole having medical at West Ham. They cannot loan anyone else from Liverpool this season so...it's a permanent deal!
This is crazy. I have (unpopularly) thought that Cole has some life left in him, but he certainly is not going to get the chance to play centrally here. I just have to trust Rodgers judgment and there is a bigger picture with youth in the midfield. You can't keep a wage that high who isn't going to play. Particularly, with Henry and FSG leading the club. This may impact whether West Ham will look to make Carroll permanent at year's end, too. Never really got clarification on whether there was a buy trigger associated with West Ham staying up. Cole scored a lovely goal in arguably the gutsiest win of the season at Upton Park. He really has become one of the poster boys for the wasted talent/potential of England's "golden generation".

Old
01-02-2013, 04:11 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
This is crazy. I have (unpopularly) thought that Cole has some life left in him, but he certainly is not going to get the chance to play centrally here. I just have to trust Rodgers judgment and there is a bigger picture with youth in the midfield. You can't keep a wage that high who isn't going to play. Particularly, with Henry and FSG leading the club. This may impact whether West Ham will look to make Carroll permanent at year's end, too. Never really got clarification on whether there was a buy trigger associated with West Ham staying up. Cole scored a lovely goal in arguably the gutsiest win of the season at Upton Park. He really has become one of the poster boys for the wasted talent/potential of England's "golden generation".
At 100k salary he had nothing left in him at Liverpool.

Sterling, Suso, Shelvey, Assaidi (limited apps) and even Downing have shown a lot more then Cole all on smaller wages (and in most cases a lot smaller wages)

Old
01-02-2013, 04:18 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
At 100k salary he had nothing left in him at Liverpool.

Sterling, Suso, Shelvey, Assaidi (limited apps) and even Downing have shown a lot more then Cole all on smaller wages (and in most cases a lot smaller wages)
Agreed. Tough to get past 100k.

Old
01-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak187 View Post
Curious to see how it will work out with Suarez also in attack. Suarez is a player that does everything on instinct/gut-feeling. Two of those types of players is making your squad crazy. Gerrard will go mad

Maybe Sturridge is bought with in mind that Suarez will leave at the end of the season? Don't know the rumours though.
I hope not. I like to look at it in the most simplest of terms. Liverpool is desperately short on quality strikers, so they just added one. If they wanted to cover up for the loss of suarez, they need alot more than sturridge, so i dont think that was the primary motive.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:23 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I hope not. I like to look at it in the most simplest of terms. Liverpool is desperately short on quality strikers, so they just added one. If they wanted to cover up for the loss of suarez, they need alot more than sturridge, so i dont think that was the primary motive.
Yep. Suarez is going nowhere this summer.

Old
01-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I wouldn't say nowhere, but doubtful. It would take him wanting out (he doesn't yet, maybe January if they're still off CL pace) or a massive offer (55-60+).

Old
01-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

They're paying Cole 3 to go and want to slash Suhin from the books. He really must not fit if they want him gone

Old
01-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

A 3m payoff with what Cole has left coming to him is really fortunate for us.

Sahin never really fit in, he had a handful of good games at best, so if he goes back I don't care. I think it has been made apparent to Brendan that we have good midfielders to play deep and the next midfield buy (in summer) has to be someone with a more attacking bent in midfield.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

They either need a match winner or need one of the three young guys they have to improve immensely.

I think they're better off letting Suso grow into a 10 style role, but the problem is he forgets any effort on defense and needs massive amounts of experience before he's ready to shoulder the load. I just worry if they buy they won't have the money to get quality. Maybe they can get Eriksen for what they paid for Suarez (doubtful).

I'm fine with Sahin out, but that's the second Shelvey or Allen will get an injury.

I still have massive concerns over who is doing the moves. No one has the ability/experience to do the deed. The talk of flogging off Agger for that chump defender is enough for me. Throw in the meh signings and the additions of like parts and it's tough to back. If its Ayre, then god help us.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:17 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Latest from Arsenal.

Daily Mail, Arsenal are still mooning over Atlético Madrid striker Adrián López. Arsenal have "opened formal talks" with Atlético officials, which are like normal talks only in black or white tie and with men holding trays of canapes hovering sniffily in the corner of the room. López will cost Ł15m. Wenger is also keen on ageing goal-genius David Villa.

Arsenal could be set to target talented Ghana youth Afriyie Acquah in the January transfer window. According to website Football Italia, the Gunners could offer 9 million Euros for the Palermo midfielder.

Acquah is on loan at Parma and his displays have prompted many to herald him as the "new Michael Essien." The powerful and active 20-year-old offers qualities Arsenal are short of in midfield.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:33 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

I think with regards to Sahin it's a few things. I just don't think he's fitting into the prem as well as BR hoped. It's not a reflection on Sahin, it's just it takes time. IIRC Ramires of Chelsea took a year to get really comfortable. Problem with Sahin is after the year, he'll probably be back in Real Madrid. No reason to keep a player so you can get him fit for another team. Then add in his fitness issues and then wage(which is hefty) and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to keep him. I'm sure he'd be good if he was kept into next season, but not sure how likely that is.

I think the midfield lacks a player going forward. With Gerrard getting comfortable in a deeper role(which I disagree with but w/e), Allen and Lucas both also comfortable in that role, we need someone to link up with the front 3. Suso and Shelvey could develop into that player, but both are young and far too inexperienced for us to hope they can shoulder that load. Hendo did well going forward, but not sure he's a consistent option.

I know BR said we'd be looking for an AMC in summer, but I'm hoping for one in this window. I think our attack would really benefit.

01-03-2013, 12:30 AM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Francefootball reporting that Pardew told Skysports that Demba Ba will be going to Chelsea.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:45 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak187 View Post
Suarez just signed a contract till 2018, why would Liverpool sell him?

Old
01-03-2013, 05:35 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Punto Pelota reports Falcao has already agreed on a move to Madrid, not sure if now or in summer though

Old
01-03-2013, 06:06 AM
villevalo

Quote:
Latest from Arsenal.

Daily Mail, Arsenal are still mooning over Atlético Madrid striker Adrián López. Arsenal have "opened formal talks" with Atlético officials, which are like normal talks only in black or white tie and with men holding trays of canapes hovering sniffily in the corner of the room. López will cost Ł15m. Wenger is also keen on ageing goal-genius David Villa.

Arsenal could be set to target talented Ghana youth Afriyie Acquah in the January transfer window. According to website Football Italia, the Gunners could offer 9 million Euros for the Palermo midfielder.

Acquah is on loan at Parma and his displays have prompted many to herald him as the "new Michael Essien." The powerful and active 20-year-old offers qualities Arsenal are short of in midfield.
I really like the looks of Acquah, hope we can get a deal done.

Didn't Barca turn down an offer for Villa recently? And is it true that Barca still hasn't paid all of the Fab and Song money? Could be a nice way of Barca seeing off some debt.

Walcott's representatives have been meeting with the club for a few days now, seems a deal does seem likely, fingers crossed and all that.

Old
01-03-2013, 06:13 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Suarez just signed a contract till 2018, why would Liverpool sell him?
Contracts don't mean a whole lot when it comes to players of the cailbur of Suarez. If he's unhappy, and wants a move, he can eventually get his way.

Liverpool may want to sell him in the event that he becomes so unhappy, that he actually acts as a detriment to the club's success and morale.

So far, we haven't observed any obvious signs of suarez being unhappy, but players of his ilk are inevitably going to draw the attention of some perennial CL teams, and sooner or later, Suarez' mood can change if things dont turn around at lfc rather quickly.

Old
01-03-2013, 06:57 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Torres will always be there whilst Abramovich is.

Closed Thread