HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 8.0 - "Time on Ice" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2013, 02:23 PM
shutehinside

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geester76 View Post
I totally agree with you Buddhasmoka1 people on this board are way to enamore by Galchenyuk and it cloud the judgment of posters and become haters of gally's teamates and coach. I will just start to say I am very glad that Galchenyuk has a great tournament so far point wise and I want to defends Phil Housley coaching in this tournament. Galchenyuk been a sure value in this tournament scoring at least one point per game but Housley other assets (aside Trouba) have not been producing as much at the start of the tournament. What do you do then? You invest all confidence on your sure shot value or you try to bolster the confidence of the team as a whole by playing them against good competition but not top 3 teams aka Canada Sweden and Russia. My analysis is that Galchenyuk had plenty of ice time against Canada and Russia and it wasn't enough to win those game. USA needs production from more players to win the tournament and for that they need confidence that is why Housley played is other players and it worked.I would say he's a good coach because you need a team to win a tournament not just one good player.
While I think I can say with confidence that most every poster here is a Gally fan I don't agree with your arguement.

I don't think anyone can say that Gally isn't the most talented player on team USA. That being said, most teams will build around their talent and it's that talent that gets you to the finals or not. To back this point up, look at every other team in the tourney or in any league. You play your best players the most and in put them in the best position to win.

Housley hasn't done this. Instead, he's isolated the second line, which has zero chemistry and a terrible centre and tried shuffling the other lines (for the most part) to try to get them to produce while letting the Gally - Kuraly - Barber line stay in tact and lower their ice time. Further to that, he's not even playing Gally at his natural postion. Imagine Canada doing that with RNH or Russia or Sweden, how do you think their fans would react?

Simply put, we all have an emotional stake in Gally which is why this conversation is even occuring. If Gally wasn't a Habs prospect, I doubt most here would care and chalk it up to bad coaching by Housely. The fact that we're intimate with Gally and his capabilities by watching him so much enables most of us to see what seems patently obvious. Gally isn't being put in a situation where he can succeed. Even at that, with limited ice time, with crappy line mates and every other excuse in the book, he's still 2nd in scoring (now 3rd) tied only with 1 of his defensman team mates while playing 3rd line minutes. That says a lot about Housley's choices.

NAME Team GP G A PTS
Jacob Trouba USA 5 4 4 8
Alex Galchenyuk USA 5 2 6 8
Seth Jones USA 5 1 6 7
JT Miller USA 5 2 4 6 - #1 Centre

This isn't a case of a bunch of fans being homers for gally, the stat line speaks volumes...

Old
01-02-2013, 02:32 PM
overlords
Hfboards

I'll remind you all that cross-forum quoting is against the rules, for reasons that should now be obvious. Gonna clean up some posts, but get back to discussing galchenyuk or I'll start throwing out some thread bans. My quota got reset with the new year!

Old
01-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Montreal4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
No kidding. That was my point.

It is a team sport, not some development tournament for Galchenyuk. Everything seems to everyone else's fault.

Kuraly sucks. Coach sucks. Barber sucks. Trotchek sucks.

Who cares about how much icetime Gally gets when the USA wins 7-0? Who cares who Gally's linemates are when he leads the team in points?

Karuly is so bad that he fed a beauty behind the back pass that Galchenyuk couldn't finish. The PP mismanagment is so bad that Gaudreau potted a hattrick on Gally's backdoor position.

Just enjoy the damn tournament and Gally like a normal person. Hey guys, that move to split the D make space and dish it to Barber was pretty sick hey?

This tournament is not about Galchenyuk, it never was, it never will be. So when you look at it through this lens it leads to complete fallacy.
Oops, I thought this thread was about Galchenyuk We will appreciate the tournament.... but in the appropriate thread that is about the tournament.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:44 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
I totally agree with you Buddhasmoka1 people on this board are way to enamore by Galchenyuk and it cloud the judgment of posters and become haters of gally's teamates and coach. I will just start to say I am very glad that Galchenyuk has a great tournament so far point wise and I want to defends Phil Housley coaching in this tournament. Galchenyuk been a sure value in this tournament scoring at least one point per game but Housley other assets (aside Trouba) have not been producing as much at the start of the tournament. What do you do then? You invest all confidence on your sure shot value or you try to bolster the confidence of the team as a whole by playing them against good competition but not top 3 teams aka Canada Sweden and Russia. My analysis is that Galchenyuk had plenty of ice time against Canada and Russia and it wasn't enough to win those game. USA needs production from more players to win the tournament and for that they need confidence that is why Housley played is other players and it worked.I would say he's a good coach because you need a team to win a tournament not just one good player.
I completely understand what you're trying to say. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

The flaw with this argument is that in Housley's reshuffling of the lines, he has kept Galchenyuk's intact AND he is still being centered by Kuraly (Galchenyuk at C >>>>> Kuraly) while changing virtually all the other lines.

In other words, Housley has not included Galchenyuk is his plan for team success. He hasn't integrated Galchenyuk into the core of players that will be looked to for offense. Those players are the likes of Miller, Gaudreau, Trocheck, and - heck - even Grimaldi, all of whom hadn't shown much until the games against SVK (coming off another defeat against RUS) and the CZE team. Galchenyuk remains stuck on the wing, centered by Kuraly, seeing very little icetime. In the interest of getting balanced scoring, I don't know of any coach that would put his best offensive forward with middling ones, somehow thinking that 3 lines would then be able to produce consistently.

If that isn't a sign he's being virtually left to rot on the 4th line, I don't know what is.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Do whatever you want people, but myself included, I guess we should refrain from going to the main board if we're not talking about the game. Would be better for your health. And since we've all wished that on January 1st.....maybe we should be careful.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:54 PM
Geester76

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
While I think I can say with confidence that most every poster here is a Gally fan I don't agree with your arguement.

I don't think anyone can say that Gally isn't the most talented player on team USA. That being said, most teams will build around their talent and it's that talent that gets you to the finals or not. To back this point up, look at every other team in the tourney or in any league. You play your best players the most and in put them in the best position to win.

Housley hasn't done this. Instead, he's isolated the second line, which has zero chemistry and a terrible centre and tried shuffling the other lines (for the most part) to try to get them to produce while letting the Gally - Kuraly - Barber line stay in tact and lower their ice time. Further to that, he's not even playing Gally at his natural postion. Imagine Canada doing that with RNH or Russia or Sweden, how do you think their fans would react?

Simply put, we all have an emotional stake in Gally which is why this conversation is even occuring. If Gally wasn't a Habs prospect, I doubt most here would care and chalk it up to bad coaching by Housely. The fact that we're intimate with Gally and his capabilities by watching him so much enables most of us to see what seems patently obvious. Gally isn't being put in a situation where he can succeed. Even at that, with limited ice time, with crappy line mates and every other excuse in the book, he's still 2nd in scoring (now 3rd) tied only with 1 of his defensman team mates while playing 3rd line minutes. That says a lot about Housley's choices.

NAME Team GP G A PTS
Jacob Trouba USA 5 4 4 8
Seth Jones USA 5 1 6 7

This isn't a case of a bunch of fans being homers for gally, the stat line speaks volumes...
There is more than Stats in hockey. It is the coach's job to manage his team's confidence and health level it is a team sport . For Galchenyuk Housley may want to manage his knee. Galchy went back from the same knee injury than Andrei Markov had and we don't know the toll it can take from being overuse wich can be the case in a tournament like that. They played 5 games in 7 days and tomorrow 6 games in 8 days... For elder poster do you remember the criticism the Canadien's staff had against the Prince Albert Raiders' coach when Kyle Chipchura got injured (former Habs 1st round pick) he trained after playing 3 match in 3 night and his achile heel got torn. Habs staff said it slowed his developement.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 626
Gally on Canada, ''we know we can beat them''.

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=main/latest/1/0/835670/clip/502

Old
01-02-2013, 03:12 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Gally on Canada, ''we know we can beat them''.

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=main/latest/1/0/835670/clip/502
"We can beat them... if they let me play more than 10 minutes."

Old
01-02-2013, 03:15 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
There is more than Stats in hockey. It is the coach's job to manage his team's confidence and health level it is a team sport . For Galchenyuk Housley may want to manage his knee. Galchy went back from the same knee injury than Andrei Markov had and we don't know the toll it can take from being overuse wich can be the case in a tournament like that. They played 5 games in 7 days and tomorrow 6 games in 8 days... For elder poster do you remember the criticism the Canadien's staff had against the Prince Albert Raiders' coach when Kyle Chipchura got injured (former Habs 1st round pick) he trained after playing 3 match in 3 night and his achile heel got torn. Habs staff said it slowed his developement.
His knee? His knee hasn't been a problem all year, why would it be an issue now? That's not even mentioning he's the second highest scorer in the OHL.

Also, will playing with a scrub like Kuraly help his knee get batter? I don't think Housley's bench management has anything to do with Gally's health in mind.

As for getting the entire team going, well imiagine if Spott played RNH on the second line as a winger to try and get the team to play better as a whole. I doubt many fans would be happy with that either.

Sorry, but I just don't see your point.

Old
01-02-2013, 04:22 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
"We can beat them... if they let me play more than 10 minutes."
Not sure but maybe the english rule for "we" is the same that the one for the "on" in french. It excludes the person who's talking...

Old
01-02-2013, 08:21 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not sure but maybe the english rule for "we" is the same that the one for the "on" in french. It excludes the person who's talking...
That makes zero sense but I kno what you're trying to say.

Honestly I think we are over reacting a little bit. Gally wasn't THE factor in te win but at the end of the game he did very well with the ice time he was given and had some great chances. I did initially think that Housely was an idiot and might have ''hated'' Gally or that he had fallen out of favor with his coach but even despite his overall usage in that game I don't believe this to be the case.

I might be wrong, but this is all perception, we will find out tomorrow morning for sure though because Canada won't be a free win. Should they trail and Gally still be with Kuraly and Barber with limited ice time, then I will crucifix Housely.

edit: an other tought

I am simply amazed that he has as many points as he does. He hasn't disapointed me in the slightest despite everythying and I am even more enouraged by his strenght and determination.

In the same vein of thought I am quite appalled by some posters calling for him to pack up his bags and return to Sarnia. That is the definitoin of a loser and Gally ain't that kind of person. The one poster on the main board who said that he was frustrated in his ice time and that's why he took his penalty couldn't be more wrong about his character. Gally doesn't give a rats ass how much ice time he gets, what angered him was that he got hit pretty well and he's not a chicken. Back to my point though this WJC is an invaluable learning experience because this is the SAME treatment he will get upon making the NHL. He will get sheltered minutes and not be the go-to guy right away. Let's not forget that he is a rookie for this tourney as well, and only 18.

Speaking of Sarnia how about Goldobin getting 4 goals to defeat the 'invincible' London Knights. Once he does return they might actually have a shot at something.

Last edited by poetryinmotion: 01-02-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old
01-02-2013, 09:18 PM
LaTenderness

Quote:

NAME Team GP G A PTS
Jacob Trouba USA 5 4 4 8
Seth Jones USA 5 1 6 7

Did I stumble into a brokeback moutain forum?

Old
01-02-2013, 09:19 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTenderness View Post
Did I stumble into a brokeback moutain forum?
Hey bud, you can read that however you like. No one will judge you here

Old
01-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Carboneer

Quote:

NAME Team GP G A PTS
Jacob Trouba USA 5 4 4 8
Seth Jones USA 5 1 6 7

... right on man

Old
01-02-2013, 10:12 PM
Geester76

Quote:
His knee? His knee hasn't been a problem all year, why would it be an issue now? That's not even mentioning he's the second highest scorer in the OHL.

Also, will playing with a scrub like Kuraly help his knee get batter? I don't think Housley's bench management has anything to do with Gally's health in mind.

As for getting the entire team going, well imiagine if Spott played RNH on the second line as a winger to try and get the team to play better as a whole. I doubt many fans would be happy with that either.

Sorry, but I just don't see your point.
How do you know how is knee fare???? I don't know either. I'm just saying it is tough 5 games in 7 days for somebody who hadn't a major injury so you must be extra careful for somebody who had.

About RNH of course people would complain if he had to play on the secound line but if Spott would think it is the way to win the competition and he wins the gold medal than nobody would complain anymore. So I guess jury will be out on Housley's coaching after tomorrow's match if he wins nobody will complain if he loses and don't play Galchy and his teamates sucks I will agree with you then.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:15 PM
Saintpatrick

Quote:
If Yakupov was playing 10 minutes a game, Oilers fans would be just as outraged and ripping the Russian coach.

And again, I could not give 2 flying ****s what other fans of other teams think. The number of Hab haters around here is extremely high.

As for Sarnia, they were bad to start the year. That can't be denied. But they put it together, in part because Galchenyuk rounded into top form.
Exactly. I could give a **** if the US does well or not I watch the US games to get a glimpse of our next super star and he's not being used properly. Yes I'm biased and yes it isnt the Gally show it's the WJC but there's only two reasons why I'm watching the tournament. To see Canada play and to watch Gally in action. If Hamilton, Yakupov or any of the other team's top prospects were getting disrespected and totally mismanaged their fans would be crying foul too. Leaf fans were like a broken record one game when Reilly wasn't given enough ice team so we're not the only ones.

Last edited by Saintpatrick: 01-02-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old
01-02-2013, 10:17 PM
ChoseLa

RNH is the first line.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:24 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

So I have decided I will watch this game at 4 AM.

Not sure if I should get around 4 hours of sleep in,watch the game, then try to get some sleep in between 6:30 AM and 8 AM and then watch SWE-RUS...or just pull off the grueling all-nighter, which I can do since nothing is planned tomorrow.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:33 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
So I have decided I will watch this game at 4 AM.

Not sure if I should get around 4 hours of sleep in,watch the game, then try to get some sleep in between 6:30 AM and 8 AM and then watch SWE-RUS...or just pull off the grueling all-nighter, which I can do since nothing is planned tomorrow.
Sleep for 10 minutes and realize how little time that is to accomplish anything.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:23 PM
PricePkPatch

Someone has a video of his reportedly amazing assist?

Old
01-02-2013, 11:33 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Someone has a video of his reportedly amazing assist?

Old
01-02-2013, 11:35 PM
PricePkPatch

Sssssweeeeeeet...

Old
01-03-2013, 02:30 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
really looking forward to this game

this is the absolute game of the tournament for me

rly want to see how they utilize galchenyuk in a big game, and if they dont use him properly, then i want canada to win 5-0

if galchenyuk is somehow thrown out during the big moments, then i went usa to win.

Old
01-03-2013, 02:46 AM
Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
really looking forward to this game

this is the absolute game of the tournament for me

rly want to see how they utilize galchenyuk in a big game, and if they dont use him properly, then i want canada to win 5-0

if galchenyuk is somehow thrown out during the big moments, then i went usa to win.
Well, McKenzie just said Canada's using the Jenner line vs Galchenyuk, so that'll be interesting.

Old
01-03-2013, 02:48 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown View Post
Well, McKenzie just said Canada's using the Jenner line vs Galchenyuk, so that'll be interesting.
Was Housley actually "hiding" Galchenyuk until the BIG games? Seems to be what Canada's coach thinks.

Closed Thread