HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXX - Naughty Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Ched Brosky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
My guess is we'll go with Lapierre and triage Schroeder until Kesler's return. Would be surprised/disappointed if we deal Lu with Bozak being a centerpiece on the return. Especially given the crackdown on cap circumventing contracts and the risks it mitigates to potential trade partners.

My guess is Lu goes to Florida largely for futures and a depth roster forward like Matthias.
Funny I proposed something similar last night in the trade forums

To Florida:
Luongo
Ashton

To Toronto
Theodore

To Vancouver:
Upshall/jovanovski (amnesty)
Matthias
Ellerby
Fla 1st

Maybe even add skille coming back this way.

2-3 big young guys who can can hit and skate as well as have decent puck skills but lack hockey sense and what would be a late 1st in one of the deepest drafts in awhile

Old
01-02-2013, 03:20 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
The cap next year should settle somewhere around $65 million. If that's the case, we're in pretty decent shape assuming we amnesty buy out Ballard and deal Luongo for futures. we'd be left with:

Forwards:
Sedins $12.2
Kesler $5
Burrows $4.5
Booth $4.25
Hansen $1.35
Jensen $0.9
Kassian $0.87

Defense:
Bieksa $4.6
Garrison $4.6
Hamhuis $4.5

Goalies:
Schneider $4
Lack $0.75

That would put us at $47.52 million, needing to sign Edler, Higgins, Lapierre, a bottom pairing and 7th D, and a few depth forwards.

None of those holes will eat up substantial cap space aside from Edler, who will likely not get as much as he would've under the old CBA climate (I'd expect him to sign a deal around $5 million).

Old
01-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Ched Brosky

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
The cap next year should settle somewhere around $65 million. If that's the case, we're in pretty decent shape assuming we amnesty buy out Ballard and deal Luongo for futures. we'd be left with:

Forwards:
Sedins $12.2
Kesler $5
Burrows $4.5
Booth $4.25
Hansen $1.35
Jensen $0.9
Kassian $0.87

Defense:
Bieksa $4.6
Garrison $4.6
Hamhuis $4.5

Goalies:
Schneider $4
Lack $0.75

That would put us at $47.52 million, needing to sign Edler, Higgins, Lapierre, a bottom pairing and 7th D, and a few depth forwards.

None of those holes will eat up substantial cap space aside from Edler, who will likely not get as much as he would've under the old CBA climate (I'd expect him to sign a deal around $5 million).
I think this team really needs a playmaking winger like tanguay paranteau or an elite defender

Bump Higgins down to the 3rd line or get rid of booth if we can't afford Higgins. I'd like to see how booth and kesler do together now that they are training together first

Last edited by Ched Brosky: 01-02-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old
01-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
I think this team really needs a playmaking winger like tanguay paranteau or an elite defender
Assuming Garrison's play in Florida wasn't just a mirage; I think a top foursome of Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler and Garrison is as good as most teams in the league. Tanev will be a year older (more experienced), so having him as a "fill-in" (right side D) is a good luxory to have.

Agree about the playmaking winger needed.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'd consider Hamhuis elite, as in top 15-20 after last year. Ditto Edler. If we can get a top 10 defender, awesome, but I think our structure is fine with Garrison, Bieksa, Ballard (cap dependant) and up and comers like Tanev, Corrado, Connauton and possibly Sauve in place. I just wouldn't want to surrender assets from our rosters or our thin prospect cupboard to the tune of what would have to be paid.

An elite playmaking winger...yeah I agree there, I'd want to focus on that as part of the Luongo trade, even if that brings in futures/roster players to fill the hole we create there. But Hansen is looking ready for a top six spot after last year, IMO, and he seems as good a playmaker as anyone not named Hank on this team...

Old
01-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

My pipedream would be to acquire Alfredsson if the Sens are out of the playoff race and Alfie wants to win a cup before he retires.

And then if he retires/signs elsewhere in the off-season, use Kassian on the wing with Booth and Kesler since he's a pretty good playmaker.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
01-02-2013, 03:35 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:

To Florida:
Luongo
Ashton

To Toronto
Theodore

To Vancouver:
Matthias
Ellerby
Fla 1st

2-3 big young guys who can can hit and skate as well as have decent puck skills but lack hockey sense and what would be a late 1st in one of the deepest drafts in awhile
And why are we interested in trading Luongo for junk?

01-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Ched Brosky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
I'd consider Hamhuis elite, as in top 15-20 after last year. Ditto Edler. If we can get a top 10 defender, awesome, but I think our structure is fine with Garrison, Bieksa, Ballard (cap dependant) and up and comers like Tanev, Corrado, Connauton and possibly Sauve in place. I just wouldn't want to surrender assets from our rosters or our thin prospect cupboard to the tune of what would have to be paid.

An elite playmaking winger...yeah I agree there, I'd want to focus on that as part of the Luongo trade, even if that brings in futures/roster players to fill the hole we create there. But Hansen is looking ready for a top six spot after last year, IMO, and he seems as good a playmaker as anyone not named Hank on this team...
Yea those guys are great but I meant someone like a weber suter karlsson chara. Obviously it will be next to impossible to get one though.

Man this team would be stacked defensively if we went with my draft picks the last few years though wanted OEL in his draft but he ended up getting picked 5th no chance. Wanted karlsson in his draft could have traded up and gotten him as he went 15th. Last but not least I wanted to trade down from 10 to 15ish and grab Myers but looking at it now we would have had to take him at 10th

Myers is the only one we could have had forsure we passed on though and I like Kassian hopefully he develops well because I like both those guys but if Kassian develops into what I think he can be will be more valuable unless Myers becomes the next chara

Old
01-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

Quote:

To Florida:
Luongo
Ashton

To Toronto
Theodore

To Vancouver:
Matthias
Ellerby
Fla 1st

I would easily prefer a package of Kadri, Bozak, and a 2nd over Matthias, cap dump, Ellerby, and a 1st.

Kadri >/= 1st
Bozak > Matthias
2nd > Ellerby
nothing* > cap dump

*we could use the cap space to acquire someone who would be useful instead of using a lot of cap space on a 4th liner/bottom pairing d-man

Old
01-02-2013, 03:43 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
My pipedream would be to acquire Alfredsson if the Sens are out of the playoff race and Alfie wants to win a cup before he retires.

And then if he retires/signs elsewhere in the off-season, use Kassian on the wing with Booth and Kesler since he's a pretty good playmaker.
That's not a bad idea (except for adding another soft Euro ), he could also add the veteran leadership this team desperately needs.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:47 PM
Ched Brosky

Quote:
I would easily prefer a package of Kadri, Bozak, and a 2nd over Matthias, cap dump, Ellerby, and a 1st.

Kadri >/= 1st
Bozak > Matthias
2nd > Ellerby
nothing* > cap dump

*we could use the cap space to acquire someone who would be useful instead of using a lot of cap space on a 4th liner/bottom pairing d-man
Ellerby is worth more than a 2nd to this team. We lack defensive depth and he is a huge guy who can clear the crease And has great mobility and can make a good 1st pass

Add skille in to while making luongo happy by sending him to his preferred destination plus spite Burke since gillis does not like Burke

Honestly with skille it's not much worse than the Toronto deal and we make Lou happy. On top of that we get more futures making it easier to deal them at the deadline for a doan/perry as usually a team prefers a 1st over a b prospect and now we have 2

Last edited by Ched Brosky: 01-02-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old
01-02-2013, 03:47 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:

Don't understand Kassian on the second line at all. He hasn't shown he's ready yet, and last year certainly didn't look ready. Unless we acquire a legitimate top 6er I expect people will be scapegoating our goalie for a lack of offense once again.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:48 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Ellerby is worth more than a 2nd to this team. We lack defensive depth and he is a huge guy who can clear the crease And has great mobility and can make a good 1st pass
Ellerby hasn't developed like projected. He's a bottom pairing defenseman at best at this point. Trading Luongo for a bottom pairing defenseman, a bottom line forward, and a late 1st makes zero sense.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:52 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

Quote:
Ellerby right now is a bottom pairing d-man.
Depth d-men shouldn't be hard to acquire at the trade deadline, and they shouldn't cost a 2nd round pick.
I feel like we could get a much better defenseman with Toronto's 2nd round pick. (like Lydman for example)

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Don't understand Kassian on the second line at all. He hasn't shown he's ready yet, and last year certainly didn't look ready. Unless we acquire a legitimate top 6er I expect people will be scapegoating our goalie for a lack of offense once again.
It wouldn't be for this season, it would be for 2013/14. By that time I would hope he would be ready for a top 9 forward role.
I'm not expecting him to be a great 2nd liner, just someone who can grow into that role and mesh well with Kesler.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:56 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:

It wouldn't be for this season, it would be for 2013/14. By that time I would hope he would be ready for a top 9 forward role.
I'm not expecting him to be a great 2nd liner, just someone who can grow into that role and mesh well with Kesler.
I doubt Alfredsson plays next season. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing how Kassian does next year, but would much prefer to pencil him into a 3RW role first and letting him work his way up.

Old
01-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

Quote:
I doubt Alfredsson plays next season. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing how Kassian does next year, but would much prefer to pencil him into a 3RW role first and letting him work his way up.
There is one small problem with wanting him to play on the 3rd line right wing, Jannik Hansen.

He is a great 3rd liner, and the only other place in the lineup I would put him is with the Sedins.
He's too good to play on the 4th line, not good enough to play on the 2nd line. He's very fast, good defensively, and gritty, so I think he'd play well with the Sedins.

And no, I wouldn't trade him just to make room for Kassian.

Old
01-02-2013, 04:03 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
There is one small problem with wanting him to play on the 3rd line right wing, Jannik Hansen.

He is a great 3rd liner, and the only other place in the lineup I would put him is with the Sedins.
He's too good to play on the 4th line, not good enough to play on the 2nd line. He's very fast, good defensively, and gritty, so I think he'd play well with the Sedins.

And no, I wouldn't trade him just to make room for Kassian.
You're right, quite a dilemma. I wouldn't move Hansen either. I wonder if he or Kassian could shift to the left side?

Old
01-02-2013, 04:27 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
You're right, quite a dilemma. I wouldn't move Hansen either. I wonder if he or Kassian could shift to the left side?
Some dilemma.

Sedin-Sedin-Booth
Burrows-Kesler-Hansen
Higgins-(center)-Kassian
Malhotra-Lapierre-Raymond
Weise, Volpatti

Problem solved, no?

Old
01-02-2013, 04:34 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
You see any recent Wolves games?

Kassian seems to making a lot of NHL caliber plays with the puck and his passing looks great.

Might as well try what we have, no?

Old
01-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Tiranis

I don't see the point of having a big argument about where Kassian slots in. It's not as if they can't shift things around if he's playing better/worse. It's not as if any of us know how he will handle things this season. For a slightly different point of view, he has shown good chemistry with Schroeder in the limited AHL time they've had together. If both are up with the big club, having them next to Higgins wouldn't be so bad. But yeah, don't really care either way.

I would say that Booth will be tied to Kesler and I don't really get splitting them up. Burrows also degenerates back into a 3rd liner anytime he plays with Kesler — and Kesler does too, to be honest.

Old
01-02-2013, 04:45 PM
MISC*
Negged.

I would really like to get Hanzal for the 3rd line.

Would be a dream.

Old
01-02-2013, 04:49 PM
MISC*
Negged.

Yotes have a sick D coming so Tanev, Corrado won't be needed.

Maybe

Jensen + as much as that sucks.

Old
01-02-2013, 05:27 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
And why are we interested in trading Luongo for junk?
I think our fans are getting too enchanted with other teams bottom line/pairing players.

Old
01-02-2013, 05:32 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Some dilemma.

Sedin-Sedin-Booth
Burrows-Kesler-Hansen
Higgins-(center)-Kassian
Weise, Volpatti

Problem solved, no?
Woah I forgot all about Volpatti. I guess he didn't end up going to Europe eh? That would have been good for his game, unless he's still rehabbing.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Some dilemma.

Sedin-Sedin-Booth
Burrows-Kesler-Hansen
Higgins-(center)-Kassian
Weise, Volpatti

Problem solved, no?
Not a fan of Booth with the Sedins. He has far too much tunnel vision to make sense of their style. I'm also somewhat hesitant to ran Hansen in the top six. He seems at most a tweener similar to Higgins. If the cap does become an issue I would rather dump Booth and leave that spot for either Kassian or Jensen

Closed Thread