HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation - Off Season 2012-13 (Part X)

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reims View Post
Amen to that.

Can you do a Hainsey rant while you're at it here? The hate for a +9, solid, top 4 defenseman makes me question many people's hockey IQ here.

Mark Flood scores a few goals in his first few games and he is almost an all star on here. Flood was almost as scary as Jones on the ice for crying out loud. What I'm saying is there is a reason Hainsey and Antropov have been in the league for so long and AHL guys like Flood can show flash, but can't be relied on long term. They are solid, they're dependable, they're good.

People put a little too much emphasis on the contracts- signed while in Atlanta - earned by these two guys. Both guys earned these contracts on the heels of big years - good on them they earned it and were offered good money and signed. The Jets are not a team that has to worry about the cap, so for a few years while TrueNorth builds their own brand who cares about a few guys that might be making a million too much. They are quality players who make the Jets a better hockey team and to me that is all that matters.
While I agree with you wholeheartedly, I actually find it kind of funny that you are kind of hypocritical in the post. You are singing the praises of Hainsey (who I like and have no problem with on this roster) yet slam Jones in an offhand way.

Jones is a victim of this exact thing in a more widespread way. Yeah, he makes mistakes. He had some pretty heinous gaffes last year. However, when we were injured on D he also played extremely well in a fill in role. People expect WAY too much from a #7 defenceman. Wasn't he a plus 4 or something last year?

Anyway I don't want to get back into the Jones thing, I just found it funny is all.

01-02-2013, 11:19 AM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
I just always assume they'll be able to move one of their goalies before then to make $ room.
But even with that, their cap situation is going to be super tight. They will almost assuredly be taking some sort of salary back. Lu's cap hit is only 5.3(I think), that won't account for the ten million that the cap could drop.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:21 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
While I agree with you wholeheartedly, I actually find it kind of funny that you are kind of hypocritical in the post. You are singing the praises of Hainsey (who I like and have no problem with on this roster) yet slam Jones in an offhand way.

Jones is a victim of this exact thing in a more widespread way. Yeah, he makes mistakes. He had some pretty heinous gaffes last year. However, when we were injured on D he also played extremely well in a fill in role. People expect WAY too much from a #7 defenceman. Wasn't he a plus 4 or something last year?

Anyway I don't want to get back into the Jones thing, I just found it funny is all.
Ran_y Jones was really really bad though.

#7 or not, he wasn't good.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:35 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Ran_y Jones was really really bad though.

#7 or not, he wasn't good.
Jones was bad even for a #7...

The eye test with the gaffs was bad...

The in-depth stats are really bad...

And he was suuuuuuper sheltered...

Old
01-02-2013, 11:38 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
But even with that, their cap situation is going to be super tight. They will almost assuredly be taking some sort of salary back. Lu's cap hit is only 5.3(I think), that won't account for the ten million that the cap could drop.
The Sharks will be another team to watch. They will be tight to the cap and they may look to move a big piece or two and rebuild. Thornton and Marleau could be some big ticket trade bait.

Minnesota and Chicago could be in an odd spots too. They are both tight to the cap and undermanned so they may have to trade a piece, graduate prospects or sign a few scrubs if they wanna stay under.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:40 AM
sully1410

Quote:
The Sharks will be another team to watch. They will be tight to the cap and they may look to move a big piece or two and rebuild. Thornton and Marleau could be some big ticket trade bait.

Minnesota and Chicago could be in an odd spots too. They are both tight to the cap and undermanned so they may have to trade a piece, graduate prospects or sign a few scrubs if they wanna stay under.
I absolutely agree. I think it's definitely going to be an interesting off season. Lots of star players on the move.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:09 PM
JetsHomer

I'd be willing to bet a ton that San Jose doesn't trade their aging stars. They might be getting older and no longer a cup favourite, but Thornton and Marleau still bring them a chance at a cup. They are both still impact forwards.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:10 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

I think part of the problem with Randy Jones is he needs regular play to stay sharp. Some players can handle being #7 and some can't.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:27 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
I'd be willing to bet a ton that San Jose doesn't trade their aging stars. They might be getting older and no longer a cup favourite, but Thornton and Marleau still bring them a chance at a cup. They are both still impact forwards.
They may not have a choice. Couture is going to be their centerpiece going forward. If you can move Marleau for a couple nice young pieces that will grow along side him you set your team up for today and the long term.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:02 PM
sully1410

Quote:
They may not have a choice. Couture is going to be their centerpiece going forward. If you can move Marleau for a couple nice young pieces that will grow along side him you set your team up for today and the long term.
I agree. Its almost as if the Shark's window has closed, and time to move on. You can get good value for both Thorton and Marleau, and I can think of quite a few teams that would be interested.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
I agree. Its almost as if the Shark's window has closed, and time to move on. You can get good value for both Thorton and Marleau, and I can think of quite a few teams that would be interested.
I agree.

Move them for some young pieces and then see what Couture and co. can do for you in a year or two.

Edit: didn't even see Truck's post. Essentially I agree completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I think part of the problem with Randy Jones is he needs regular play to stay sharp. Some players can handle being #7 and some can't.
I think the problem with Randy Jones is he's not very good at pro hockey.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:17 PM
sully1410

Quote:
I agree.

Move them for some young pieces and then see what Couture and co. can do for you in a year or two.

Edit: didn't even see Truck's post. Essentially I agree completely.

I think the problem with Randy Jones is he's not very good at pro hockey.
I think SJK is getting ready to rebuild...more like retool I suppose as they already have quite a few good young players to build around going forward. They definitely did it right, thats for sure.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:22 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
I don't think their window is closed, but it will close at some point and if they don't win it all this year I could see them giving up on this core. If they could move one of their big guns for some youth (kinda like the Flyers did last year) they can retool and set themselves up for prolonged success.

EDIT

Maybe they can convince those yahoos in Calgary to try another year of "win now."

How many dozen first round picks would Burke Trade for big Joe?

Old
01-02-2013, 02:29 PM
sully1410

Quote:
I don't think their window is closed, but it will close at some point and if they don't win it all this year I could see them giving up on this core. If they could move one of their big guns for some youth (kinda like the Flyers did last year) they can retool and set themselves up for prolonged success.

EDIT

Maybe they can convince those yahoos in Calgary to try another year of "win now."

I don't even want to think about that.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Bob E

vCash: 500
Quote:

EDIT

It will be interesting. Teams that would want to acquire big Joe or Marleau, would have to be reasonably close to being a contender, with cap room, that are missing offense.

To me, that's maybe just the Coyotes or Predators. I don't think TO is in that mix, nor Calgary.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:51 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
(...)

To me, that's maybe just the Coyotes or Predators. I don't think TO is in that mix, nor Calgary.
Never underestimate the power of delusion.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:53 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
It will be interesting. Teams that would want to acquire big Joe or Marleau, would have to be reasonably close to being a contender, with cap room, that are missing offense.

I am not sure Toronto or Calgary would be in the mix, but they do odd things. That was the kid.

It will be fun to watch. I am not sure the Yotes of Pred would be willing the flash that kind of cash or move that many prospects. I really could see Burke going nutty for his number one centre though.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:55 PM
sully1410

Quote:
I am not sure Toronto or Calgary would be in the mix, but they do odd things. That was the kid.

It will be fun to watch. I am not sure the Yotes of Pred would be willing the flash that kind of cash or move that many prospects. I really could see Burke going nutty for his number one centre though.
And if it doesn't work out..watching him bluster and make excuses will be entertaining at the very least.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:58 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
And if it doesn't work out..watching him bluster and make excuses will be entertaining at the very least.
There won't be much more room for excuses.

He may survive a bad short season, but he would have to sell out to keep his job after that.

Old
01-02-2013, 04:07 PM
sully1410

Quote:
There won't be much more room for excuses.

He may survive a bad short season, but he would have to sell out to keep his job after that.
If something spectacular doesn't happen, he'll be out of a job for sure.

Old
01-02-2013, 04:22 PM
Bob E

Quote:
If something spectacular doesn't happen, he'll be out of a job for sure.
Well, John Shannon (i know, i know) feels a Luongo to TO deal is already done. Now that would give them a quality netminder and a pretty big improvement over Reimer or the monster. Might be enough to get them into the playoffs in a shortened season. Leafs started with a bang last year, only to fissle later.

But... if there ever was a contract that a GM would love to use tha amnesty clause rumored to be in the next CBA, Luongo's contract would be one. But, i'm assuming he would be a UFA and able to sign with anyone. I wonder if that would be reason enough for teams to shy away from Roberto. Except the Laughs, of course. Likely will give up a couple of 1st's to get him.

Old
01-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Zhamnov10

Quote:
The problem with this is we like to roll with information that can be fact checked here. If not, then anyone can say that they know this or that person, and second hand information that may or may not be true would become fact. We wouldn't know what to believe. I am not saying that you are lying, I am just saying that it really opens the door for people to say whatever they want about something and present it as some kind of fact.

I know a lot of connected people in hockey circles in Winnipeg, as do many other HF Jets posters. However, we have established protocol here to ensure that the information that flows here is dependable. If it's not a vetted source, it's hogwash IMHO until it's proven otherwise.

I think the vast majority of posters here appreciate the fact that we work hard to keep information here as pure as possible. People come here to get the quickest most up to date information on the Jets and NHL and we want them to be able to rely on the forum for that.
I never really looked at it that way I totally see your point now,I really enjoy reading these forums and when I am given some info I am just excited to share it from a fans perspective.plus the fact that I am a nobody who happens to know another nobody who out of pure luck (he's not even a huge hockey fan)ends up getting together with said jets brass because of his wifes friend circle I really trust where it is coming from.as a fan I dont want to share a lot of the negative I hear even though that is usually the most interesting stuff because I want the jets to succeed and l don't want players to not want to play in Winnipeg.regardless I respect how this forum is run never really knew what is or isn't ok to post so in the future I will take that into consideration.

Old
01-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:

I don't agree with that at all.

Jones is not at all on the same tier as a player like Hainsey or Antropov.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
I don't agree with that at all.

Jones is not at all on the same tier as a player like Hainsey or Antropov.
Don't worry, I am not in any way suggesting that Randy Jones is on the same level as either of the 2 above mentioned players.

I am just saying that Jones gets an especially rough ride around here, and I don't believe it's warranted for his role and how a player of his calibre should play. However, I am pretty much the only person who feels this way here so I will drop it.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:51 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 635
Quote:
Don't worry, I am not in any way suggesting that Randy Jones is on the same level as either of the 2 above mentioned players.

I am just saying that Jones gets an especially rough ride around here, and I don't believe it's warranted for his role and how a player of his calibre should play. However, I am pretty much the only person who feels this way here so I will drop it.
For what it's worth I always thought Randy got an overly rough ride. There was so much negativity when we signed him that I don't think people ever gave him an opportunity.

Closed Thread