HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL in Wisconsin

Old
01-02-2013, 03:10 PM
ford42

vCash: 500
NHL in Wisconsin

Hey everyone, im new to "HF boards". I just wanted to see what you guys think about Wisconsin getting an NHL team. I know you guys all have your favorite team but just for the league it would be a great state to tap into. I obviously am from WI, but Why do we have a NBA team and not a hockey team dont forget we have a football stadiam here we call the frozen tundra! Let me know what you guys think, dumb idea, great idea, ect....

ford42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 03:14 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 695
Probably not going to happen as Milwaukee's already quite oversaturated as a sports market (same argument I use about Indy not getting an NHL team) and is close enough to Chicago that the Wirtz's would almost assuredly use their influence to try to prevent a team from being placed there, even if they have no legal rights to the territory.

Maybe if the Bucks move to loosen up the area's disposable income, but not until then, and likely not even after that.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 03:15 PM
njdevil26

How about Madison?

njdevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 03:17 PM
mikitas donut
The Hammer!

I have a lot of friends in Milwaukee, and a popular opinion up there is that they would gladly trade the Bucks for an NHL team. Not likely to happen though, but Madison sounds like a good idea.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 03:20 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Madison's too small, and then add the even more massive presence of Milwaukee Badgers football, basketball, and hockey to the equation to make up for being further from Brewers and Bucks.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Jopsey

If they can try the NHL in places like Phoenix and Florida, why the hell couldn't they do it in Wisconsin where Hockey is actually appreciated? I would love to see a team there. Think of the rivalry between Minnesota and Wisconsin

Jopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
I think the safer bet would be Milwaukee since it has 3x the population.

The other sports should not affect it that much.
How do the Admirals do? There is always the option to move them to Madison and put an NHL team in Milwaukee.

The thing you always here Bettman say is "There needs to be an NHL size arena there before we even discuss it." With the Bradley Center you are already 1 step ahead of place like Seattle and Quebec City.

If they expand the league by two teams, they will still need to move a couple. Phoenix and Florida being the likely candidates.

I think Wisconsin getting a team is a better idea than Las Vegas.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 03:32 PM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
It's all down to supply and demand ... we all know there's more demand for ice hockey on the beaches of Miami than the frozen tundra of WI.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 03:32 PM
ford42

Your right madison isnt the biggest but subs have a bunch of people to(i understand not as many as chicago). Middleton, Sun praire, Waunakee, Verona, McFarland, and Milwaukee is not that far away. about 1hr and 20mins to the east side of madison.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:33 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
If they expand the league by two teams, they will still need to move a couple. Phoenix and Florida being the likely candidates.
No they're not. Panthers ownership isn't looking to sell, which is the only thing that matters. Plus, they're being used as an anchor tenant for the arena for other events and it allows them operating rights to the arena, which they're using as a lynchpin for redevelopment efforts in the surrounding region.

In other words, the Panthers are being used as a loss-leader that'll make them money elsewhere. Until that changes, they're not moving.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:40 PM
ford42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
It's all down to supply and demand ... we all know there's more demand for ice hockey on the beaches of Miami than the frozen tundra of WI.
i dont agree with that, i believe people grow a passion or maybe just an interest to sports and many other things as a child and to do that i believe you have to play/try ect. whatever that maybe. The point is i can go outside right now and slap the puck around like beach boy could play basketball. Its more accessable here, more passion ( the question would there be enough).

Old
01-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
No they're not. Panthers ownership isn't looking to sell, which is the only thing that matters. Plus, they're being used as an anchor tenant for the arena for other events and it allows them operating rights to the arena, which they're using as a lynchpin for redevelopment efforts in the surrounding region.

In other words, the Panthers are being used as a loss-leader that'll make them money elsewhere. Until that changes, they're not moving.
Yeah and there was a time when if you told someone that they would move a Canadian team to the desert they would laugh in your face.

I am not saying they are going to move next year, arena's usually have a 35 year life span. The arena is 15 years old, If they are still treading water in 20 years, they will be moved.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Arrch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford42 View Post
i dont agree with that, i believe people grow a passion or maybe just an interest to sports and many other things as a child and to do that i believe you have to play/try ect. whatever that maybe. The point is i can go outside right now and slap the puck around like beach boy could play basketball. Its more accessable here, more passion ( the question would there be enough).
Looks like an NHL team isn't the only thing you guys are missing...

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 03:48 PM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford42 View Post
Ya missed my sarcasm dude!

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Shakey Rustie
2L

vCash: 1077
If Milwaukee wants a team, they should show the potential by supporting their AHL team, the Admirals. In a lockout, when many young players get sent down to the minors, Milwaukee averages 4,401 for home games, while the league average is 5,387 - to me that doesn't speak well for any potential NHL hockey in Wisconsin.

http://theahl.com/stats/schedule.php?view=attendance

Shakey Rustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 03:51 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Not viable IMO

Milwaukee has shown very little interest in hockey and the Bradley Center is not a quality arena going forward. Proposed new Arena was roundly shotdown in all circles a few years back. Also have Brewers/Bucks to contend with for attention/corp sponsership

Madison is place were hockey is popular but the city is too small and the Badgers are king there

Not to mention I doubt Wirtz would be happy with idea of a NHL team this close to Chicago and potentially stealing some Northern Illinois hockey fans

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 03:54 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

I would love to see Wisconsin have a pro hockey team

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
I would love to see Wisconsin have a pro hockey team
Why?

You ever been to Milwaukee?

Hockey has no pulse or influence there

Old
01-02-2013, 04:07 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Not viable IMO

Milwaukee has shown very little interest in hockey and the Bradley Center is not a quality arena going forward. Proposed new Arena was roundly shotdown in all circles a few years back. Also have Brewers/Bucks to contend with for attention/corp sponsership

Madison is place were hockey is popular but the city is too small and the Badgers are king there

Not to mention I doubt Wirtz would be happy with idea of a NHL team this close to Chicago
and potentially stealing some Northern Illinois hockey fans
This.

It would be cool to have a team in Wisconsin but I doubt it will happen. Imagine that versus Blackhawks and Red Wings.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:09 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Also would like to point out for people who think a team in Milwaukee would be instant rival with Hawks ,, Sure its possible

Or it could end up like Milwaukee/Chicago in baskebtall ,, Bull fans haven't given a damn about Bucks or there fans ever

There is literally no rivarly and that is with over 40 years of chance to build it

Old
01-02-2013, 04:11 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
I think it would work in Milwaukee

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Yeah and there was a time when if you told someone that they would move a Canadian team to the desert they would laugh in your face.

I am not saying they are going to move next year, arena's usually have a 35 year life span. The arena is 15 years old, If they are still treading water in 20 years, they will be moved.
Why talk about something that's not going to happen for 20 years, then?

Florida isn't going anywhere anytime soon. People need to learn to accept that.

Madison is too small for a NHL team (especially because they'd play second fiddle to the Badgers in what is a firm college town) and Milwaukee certainly can't support both a NBA team and a NHL team...though I doubt many people there would balk at trading the Bucks for a NHL team. What works against Wisconsin is that the population is too spread out. Milwaukee is the hub, but it's not exactly a huge city (metro is slightly smaller than Nashville). Considering Milwaukee already has two teams and essentially the Packers (Green Bay is 120 miles north...the Packers aren't still in Green Bay without their proximity to Milwaukee) it's a hard sell to put another in there.

It's possible down the road, but I don't see them in a prime position to get a team in the near future.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:14 PM
ckg927

vCash: 400
Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
I think the safer bet would be Milwaukee since it has 3x the population.

The other sports should not affect it that much.
How do the Admirals do? There is always the option to move them to Madison and put an NHL team in Milwaukee.

The thing you always here Bettman say is "There needs to be an NHL size arena there before we even discuss it." With the Bradley Center you are already 1 step ahead of place like Seattle and Quebec City.

I think Wisconsin getting a team is a better idea than Las Vegas.
Las Vegas should NEVER be considered as an NHL city. I don't care if you have a Hollywood bigwig soldily backing the effort-as Jerry Bruckheimer was at one point. It'll be good for a few years and then go south fast as people got tired of the losing. Truthfully, LV should be content being in the ECHL. They draw decently and seem to have fun with their promotions(hell, how many teams in the NHL-let alone hockey, period-could get away with "Rapture Day"? For that matter, how about starting a game at 12 midnight?).

Last edited by ckg927: 01-04-2013 at 03:43 PM.
ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:16 PM
ford42

Quote:
Ya missed my sarcasm dude!
yes i did lol...

Old
01-02-2013, 04:22 PM
ford42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Also would like to point out for people who think a team in Milwaukee would be instant rival with Hawks ,, Sure its possible

Or it could end up like Milwaukee/Chicago in baskebtall ,, Bull fans haven't given a damn about Bucks or there fans ever

There is literally no rivarly and that is with over 40 years of chance to build it
I live in Wisconsin, and 2 hrs away from milwaukee and have family in Milwaukee but have never been to nor would i ever want to goto a bucks game. I think hockey would be on higher demand the bball in this particular state. No offense to NBA fans.. I hardly ever see a bucks shirt/coat ect. in Wisconsin. I definitly see more Bulls apparel.