HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why can't CDN fans rally around CDN teams in the Playoffs?

Old
01-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine

vCash: 500
It's silly to start blathering on about the nationality of teams when bunches of players on American teams are European and Canadian, while bunches of players on Canadian teams are European and American.

I never understood why (some) Canadians think it matters whether or not a team that happens to play in Canada wins the Cup or not.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:47 PM
HavlatMach9

Cheered for Calgary, against Edmonton, against Vancouver, for Montreal,
Sometimes I go for the underdog (Montreal Halak), sometimes it's random, the other Canadian teams are just like every other team. (Except the Leafs, they can go without winning).

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:47 PM
GrandChelems

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
how often do we see threads along the vein of "[My Canadian Team]: Canada's Team". They're usually backhandedly insulting the other Canadian teams while calling for their support. Fans sense this.
C'mon, what part of the Henrik Sedin doesn't scream Canada's Team?

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:48 PM
Captain Saku

I cheer for all canadian teams except the leafs

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:50 PM
x94Galchenyuk94x*

Because Canadian teams aren't really Canadian teams. They are just NHL teams like the other ones. I'd rather cheer for a team or player I like rather than a team I don't care for.

x94Galchenyuk94x* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Shakey Rustie
2L

vCash: 50
If the Jets are out, it doesn't matter who the hell is playing (unless I hate a team/player), the only thing I cheer for is good hockey.

Shakey Rustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:58 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Also, it should probably be noted that while every Canadian fan wants to see the Canadian Stanley Cup drought end, they're more interested in wanting their team be the one that breaks the drought.
Not true what so ever. I'm from Canada and the only team I want to even maybe win is the leafs and that's because it would annoy every single non leaf fan.

When the wings get knocked out I'll usually root for the underdog team or the team with the longest Stanley Cup drought. The other thing I do is root against all the Canadian teams.

DatsyukToZetterberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:00 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

In 1999 & 2002 when the Maple Leafs made the Eastern Conference Finals no one else in Canada wanted them to win and they were never called Canada's team by TSN. So why should I be forced to cheer for the Canucks?

Also using this same argument did fans in Phiadelphia want Pittsburgh to win in 2009 and when the reverse happened in 2010 did Pittsburgh fans want Philadelphia to win for the state of Pennsylvania, I highly doubt that since both cities hate each other.

Last edited by MapleLeafsFan4Ever: 01-02-2013 at 08:36 PM.
MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:01 PM
VanCanucks14

I hate all the other Canadian teams(more so their fan bases) so no chance in hell am I going to cheer for them just because they play in Canada. It's a silly reason to cheer for a team really.

VanCanucks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

The way the fans of the other Canadian teams take pleasure in the troubles of the Leafs make it difficult for me to cheer for them.

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Linters*

Because Canada is the country held together by hate for each other.

The British Columbians hate the East because they don't feel they get equal representation. Everybody else hates the British Columbians because they are seen as whiners that don't have to experience real winter.
The Albertans hate everybody else because they view them as mooching off their resources. Everybody else hates the Albertans because they are seen as a bunch of red kneck hill billies.
The Prairies hate everybody else because they mooch off their wheat. Everybody else hates the prairies because they are too damn flat and cold.
The Ontarians hate everybody else because they refuse to acknowledge that Ontario is the best province. Everybody hates Ontarians because they think they are the centre of the world.
The Quebecers hate everybody else because they aren't French. Everybody hates Quebec because they are French.
The North hates everybody else because they feel neglected. Everybody else hates the North because they keep on complaining about not having basic necessities like food and shelter.

And the reason we stick together is so that we can continue to spite each other.

That being said everybody likes the Maritimes, such nice people and they have great accents.

Linters* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:05 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

All my Canadian friends root for other Canadian teams once the Leafs have officially missed the playoffs AGAIN

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:06 PM
cashman rules*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
how often do we see threads along the vein of "[My Canadian Team]: Canada's Team". They're usually backhandedly insulting the other Canadian teams while calling for their support. Fans sense this.
Canada's team in 2011(playoffs) was the Boston Bruins that you can take to the bank.

cashman rules* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:12 PM
Preisst
Party On!!

I generall cheer for the team that has the most Canadian players on it, that said I hate the Habs, Oilers, Senators and the HABS but it's basically cuz I dislike their fans moreso then the team. Not sure if I mentioned I hate the Habs and their fans.

Preisst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:14 PM
thom

A lot of it is politics people who don't like the habs its possible they don't like french speaking people.Anti-Vancouver people think the city is tree huggers and regular pot smokers.Boston has a history of work ethic and irish people so there is a relationship.Philadelphia are tough no bs type of people.Ny for some are rich snobs who think they control america.Now some of my comments are a way of base but some of it has some factual info too it

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:15 PM
blankall

Not a chance.

Teams located geographically close to eachother in any sport tend to be the greatest rivals. The last think anyone wants is for their major rival to win a championship. The thought of hearing their fans go on and on about that is a freaking nightmare.

As a Flames fan, the only possible Canadian team I wouldn't actively root against are the Sens...that's probably only because I don't know any Sens fans though.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:18 PM
uncleherman77

Don't know why people say "bring the cup back to Canada" either when the team that wins it is usually full of Canadians who bring it back to their hometowns..

uncleherman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:19 PM
mikitas donut
The Hammer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linters View Post

That being said everybody likes the Maritimes, such nice people and they have great accents.
Ha, I have a friend that's from Halifax. I know lots of Canadians from all over and he's the only one that says "abouot" and "eh" all the time, even though he's been living in Anaheim for several years.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:20 PM
Sky04

Calgary got alot of love from around Canada in 2004.

Sky04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:21 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

habs fan, but i regularly follow and cheer for ottawa. love edmonton as well as the jets. don't give two shakes of an aids monkey about the others and will never cheer for them.

<-- habs fan that was cheering for boston when they won the cup. yeah, that's how much i dislike the canucks

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

I never understood this. Canadian teams don't represent Canada, they represent themselves.

I never understood "bringing the Cup back to Canada" either. Most Cup winners already do that. And if the Canucks were to win the Cup that thing's going to Sweden first with the Sedins. This is because NHL teams are made up of all different nationalities.

In short, Canadian teams are not Canadian outside of the fact that the city they play in happens to be in Canada. There is no representation of the country itself whatsoever.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:22 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linters View Post

The British Columbians hate the East because they don't feel they get equal representation. Everybody else hates the British Columbians because they are seen as whiners that don't have to experience real winter.
The Albertans hate everybody else because they view them as mooching off their resources. Everybody else hates the Albertans because they are seen as a bunch of red kneck hill billies.
The Prairies hate everybody else because they mooch off their wheat. Everybody else hates the prairies because they are too damn flat and cold.
The Ontarians hate everybody else because they refuse to acknowledge that Ontario is the best province. Everybody hates Ontarians because they think they are the centre of the world.
The Quebecers hate everybody else because they aren't French. Everybody hates Quebec because they are French.
The North hates everybody else because they feel neglected. Everybody else hates the North because they keep on complaining about not having basic necessities like food and shelter.

And the reason we stick together is so that we can continue to spite each other.

Good one.

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:22 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
as long as it's not Calgary, I have no problem cheering for another Canadian team

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Everyone cheered against Vancouver because the 2010-2011 Canucks were a despicable bunch.

I don't get why I would have to cheer on a team that lacks integrity just because they play in Canada. Also once Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa went to the finals in three straight seasons the whole "Canadian team in the finals" lost some of it's luster.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:27 PM
cashman rules*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Calgary got alot of love from around Canada in 2004.
Including myself but i will support all canada's teams in the final except for the canucks and leafs,vancouver with to too much euro content and play like it and as for toronto being a disgrace to the country for almost 50 years.

cashman rules* is offline   Reply With Quote