St. John's IceCaps 2012-13 - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2012, 03:04 PM
Bob E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Unfortunately, with our team it looks like we will be picking anywhere from 10 - 20 for the next few years. I think we are going to have to be very proactive mining other org's for diamonds in the rough. Guys that other teams have given up on or who don't really fit in with the club's plans or roster planning can turn out to be real contributor for another team and may help us build up depth in the areas of or org that are thin.
I agree Jet, that's why i'm hoping in some way the Jets get a top 5 or 7 pick this year, as i think that player may just be the key contributor in getting this team to be a solid playoff contender. Said another way, if the Jets can add a legit top line forward this year, that may be the piece that's needed. Now you may get that player in later picks or rounds, too, but the odds of that go way down.

When you factor in our young core talent like Bogo, Kane, Scheifele, Trouba, Burmi and a solid young vet core of Enstrom, Ladd, Wheeler, Little, Pavy and Buff. One more high end player might be enough for a solid group moving forward. Therefore, getting a high-end talent this year would be fantastic.

Now, picking in the 10-20 range, this year, may be better than most years, but likely won't add that key high end piece that is still missing.

Not sure what scenario gets that piece - playing a shortened season, or more balls in a draft lottery. Neither is a sure bet of a high pick, and a high pick doesn't necessarily guarantee player will have success either, but i'm hopeful it might. Otherwise, it may be a long few years...

Old
12-31-2012, 03:28 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
I agree Jet, that's why i'm hoping in some way the Jets get a top 5 or 7 pick this year, as i think that player may just be the key contributor in getting this team to be a solid playoff contender. Said another way, if the Jets can add a legit top line forward this year, that may be the piece that's needed. Now you may get that player in later picks or rounds, too, but the odds of that go way down.

When you factor in our young core talent like Bogo, Kane, Scheifele, Trouba, Burmi and a solid young vet core of Enstrom, Ladd, Wheeler, Little, Pavy and Buff. One more high end player might be enough for a solid group moving forward. Therefore, getting a high-end talent this year would be fantastic.

Now, picking in the 10-20 range, this year, may be better than most years, but likely won't add that key high end piece that is still missing.

Not sure what scenario gets that piece - playing a shortened season, or more balls in a draft lottery. Neither is a sure bet of a high pick, and a high pick doesn't necessarily guarantee player will have success either, but i'm hopeful it might. Otherwise, it may be a long few years...
I totally get that you are hoping for that 5-7 and I guess anything is possible but to me, the moves that the org made this offseason show that they want no part of it. I'm actually a bit surprised, as I thought TN might take all the newness and goodwill of the team in Winnipeg to let the team build up a little depth through the draft. Even a terrible team would draw great and sell a tonne of merch, and I was expecting the team to perhaps unload Hainsey, Antropov and whomever else they could get for picks, and to give us a better draft position this year.

However, the team looks like it will take the approach that I believe in -- always play to win. I think they feel like the age and core of the team as it stands now is in a place where we should be trying to make the playoffs and perhaps push for some success. Picking up Poni and Jokinen for me really proves that out.

The added benefit for us with the lockout is of course that Bogo is getting close to returning from injury and we won't have to play many games without him.

I've never been one to hope for my team to draft high, cause it means the team sucks. I however would not have been crushed if we had a shot at the lottery this year. Nathan MacKinnon is going to be a dandy. I just hope we don't draft Jones

EDIT: Also, I just realized we are posting in the St. John's thread, I apologize for getting this thread a little OT.

12-31-2012, 03:58 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
I totally get that you are hoping for that 5-7 and I guess anything is possible but to me, the moves that the org made this offseason show that they want no part of it. I'm actually a bit surprised, as I thought TN might take all the newness and goodwill of the team in Winnipeg to let the team build up a little depth through the draft. Even a terrible team would draw great and sell a tonne of merch, and I was expecting the team to perhaps unload Hainsey, Antropov and whomever else they could get for picks, and to give us a better draft position this year.

However, the team looks like it will take the approach that I believe in -- always play to win. I think they feel like the age and core of the team as it stands now is in a place where we should be trying to make the playoffs and perhaps push for some success. Picking up Poni and Jokinen for me really proves that out.

The added benefit for us with the lockout is of course that Bogo is getting close to returning from injury and we won't have to play many games without him.

I've never been one to hope for my team to draft high, cause it means the team sucks. I however would not have been crushed if we had a shot at the lottery this year. Nathan MacKinnon is going to be a dandy. I just hope we don't draft Jones

EDIT: Also, I just realized we are posting in the St. John's thread, I apologize for getting this thread a little OT.
I would like to think 5 consecutive top 9 picks (including 2 top 4 picks) could supply a solid core of players. Bogo and Kane are already impact players and the others are doing jst fine IMO. The fact that the Caps aren't really deep doesn'reflect poorly on that core either. Good top 10 picks should graduate by the time they are 20ish anywas.

Of course another top end player like MacKinnon, Drouin, Lindholm, Monahan would be nice, but it isn't a must if the others continue to develop and ideally the new kid is NHL ready after 2 years in junior. It will be players like Telegin, Lowry, Yuen, Sutter (:s), Kosmachuk and Olsen that give the IceCaps a boost.

Old
12-31-2012, 04:46 PM
Bob E

Quote:

I see that a bit different. Since both contracts to Olli and Poni are short-term, and both players are arguably past their prime, to me, those moves were 'stop-gap' moves made to slightly improve the team's depth in the short-term, while our less expense prospects continue to develop (read: Scheifele for Olli and Telegin for Poni). Neither signing will turn this team into a consistent playoff contender, imo. May not be enough for this year.

If they were winning for today, and tomorrow, honestly, i would have expected more deals to upgrade the current mix of players using draft picks and lesser prospects to do it. I suppose the concern is if those moves don't work, or acquired players then leave via FA, you have very little to show for it and a depleted prospects pool. Hmmmm.

So I see Chevy as very much wanting to build thru the draft, which will take time, and then hope those picks turn out along the way. The moves he's made have been a) short-term acquisitions (Olli, Poni, Wellwood) - who will be replaced with drafted players relatively soon, hopefully -and then b) long-term deals to existing young key core guys (Enstrom, Ladd, Kane, Pavy). So, watch for new longer-term deals for Bogo, Wheeler, and likely Little. The focus is on keeping young assets at reasonable terms, hoping they continue to develop.

Now, if he acquires a young key core guy, using picks or other core guys in a trade, then i'll buy into he's looking to improve the line-up to win now, and in the future. To me (right now), he's looking to flirt with being a playoff team but not be a lottery team and then really focus on winning in the future with a stable of drafted players.

It really is the Predators approach, which took many years to do and was aided by an outstanding 2003 draft. If the Preds didnt take Suter, Klein and Weber in 2003, and instead took guys that didn't pan out, where would they be?

I believe the Jets could be just one or two young high-end talent away from being a solid playoff team. That said, the best chance to get that type of player is drafting high. I don't want the Jets to suck and not make the playoffs, though if they did, that just may be the best thing for the organization long term.

Old
12-31-2012, 04:52 PM
Bob E

Back to the thread.

I wouldn't call the current IceCaps deep in prospects. But that should change in the next couple of years as the current draft picks playing in the CHL move on to the AHL.

That's when we'll have a better gauge as to whether the Kosmachuks or Sutters or Lowrys will be solid NHL contributors for the Jets.

Old
12-31-2012, 05:28 PM
HannuJ

vCash: 148
Quote:
Yup. That's why i'm hoping for an early draft pick this year, keep the prospects flowing and perhaps able to join the team shortly - and make a contribution.
eh, don't get your hopes up.
if the lockout ends, i expect the Jets to do skewingly well. it is the same team as last year except of Ollie being up front.

i wouldn't be surprised to see the Jets giving a stupidly skewed result in a shortened season and finishing well above where they would finish in a full schedule. then again, it can also be skewed the other way and they can finish quite low. but i would be very surprised to see a shortened-scheduled Jets team finish out of the playoffs.

the best hope would be to NOT have a season and have the Jets drafting top 10 again.

Old
12-31-2012, 06:26 PM
MrMariusz

Good start against Bingo, keep it going.

Old
12-31-2012, 06:40 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

2-0 on a goal by Maxwell. Strange one though - there was a penalty assessed against the IceCaps on the play, so I'm not sure how this is a goal. 4min for Meech for high-sticking...

Very strange.

EDIT: they've now disallowed the goal. And Mouller^H^H^H^H Mole-rat has now taken an unsportsmanlike penalty. Hahaha! And Rodgers is going crazy on the linesman that made the call! "What are you a homer or something? You live around the corner?"

EDIT2: Ugh, and the Sens score on a 5 on 4. 1-1 now. Still 2min left on Meech's double minor.

Old
12-31-2012, 06:46 PM
Canadienjet

That is the weirdest thing I have ever seen.

Old
12-31-2012, 06:47 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

Stream from one of our Sens friends appears to now be going live: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/senshockey

Old
12-31-2012, 07:56 PM
MrMariusz

Third period is on.

Good luck IceCaps.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:13 PM
MrMariusz

A shorty kills them in this one
3-1

Old
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

Ugh. Bad turnover in front of the net by Meech makes it 2-1. Then, a SH goal by Binghamton makes it 3-1 with around 10m left in the third.

Old
Canadienjet

IceCaps back to earth....can't string two in a row.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:41 PM
MrMariusz

Well, getting a win at Bingo was never going to be easy.

Old
01-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Ziostilon

What happened to Telegin. Haven't seen him for awhile

Old
01-01-2013, 03:46 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Misses his old line:

Telegin-O`Dell-Klingberg...

All three players did their best there...

Old
01-01-2013, 04:01 PM
allan5oh
#moneypushups

Found this two month old Zach Redmond interview:

Old
01-02-2013, 04:00 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 200
Quote:
Back to the thread.

I wouldn't call the current IceCaps deep in prospects. But that should change in the next couple of years as the current draft picks playing in the CHL move on to the AHL.

That's when we'll have a better gauge as to whether the Kosmachuks or Sutters or Lowrys will be solid NHL contributors for the Jets.
I would call the whole St. Johns roster aside from Eddie Pasquale and maybe O'DELL a huge disappointment this season. The guys in St. Johns who were called up last season don't seem to have improved and if anything may have regressed. Can't really say anyone there is threat to grab a roster spot (Jets) anytime soon.

Old
01-02-2013, 04:10 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
I would call the whole St. Johns roster aside from Eddie Pasquale and maybe O'DELL a huge disappointment this season. The guys in St. Johns who were called up last season don't seem to have improved and if anything may have regressed. Can't really say anyone there is threat to grab a roster spot (Jets) anytime soon.
I don't think Chevy expected any of the forwards to take a roster spot. That is why the added Poni and resigned Wellwood.

Postma and Redmond are threatening. Mach is a 4th line grinder and I think Cormier will spend this last season as the 1st call up.

Anybody or everybody else is a developmental prospect. *shrug*

Old
01-02-2013, 04:21 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I don't think Chevy expected any of the forwards to take a roster spot. That is why the added Poni and resigned Wellwood.

Postma and Redmond are threatening. Mach is a 4th line grinder and I think Cormier will spend this last season as the 1st call up.

I don't think the Jets would have to give up much to land a better 4th line grinder than either Mach or Cormier. Heck even little Timmy comes out head and shoulders (pardon the pun) better than anyone in St. Johns.

Cormier and Klingberg both deserve more time in the A but guys like Mach and Max and the rest of the forwards look to me like career minor leaguers.

Old
01-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Bob E

Quote:

Ya, with Glass signing with Pens, i think Chevy feels Cormier can come in and play that 4th line LW role, bang and grind, and take faceoffs when required. He's a pretty affordable option there. So i'm thinking he gets a long look and likely a job.

Imo, Mach's problem is, he thinks he's a scorer. He puts up decent numbers in the A, and had some success late last year. But, won't be able to contribute much more than as a 4th line RW, just not sure he's cut out for that bang and grind or energy role a la Thornton in Boston. And the Jets need much more than Mach in their top 9 RW's.

Old
01-02-2013, 05:36 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Ya, with Glass signing with Pens, i think Chevy feels Cormier can come in and play that 4th line LW role, bang and grind, and take faceoffs when required. He's a pretty affordable option there. So i'm thinking he gets a long look and likely a job.

Imo, Mach's problem is, he thinks he's a scorer. He puts up decent numbers in the A, and had some success late last year. But, won't be able to contribute much more than as a 4th line RW, just not sure he's cut out for that bang and grind or energy role a la Thornton in Boston. And the Jets need much more than Mach in their top 9 RW's.
As things sit, I think the 4th line will be:

Mittens - Slater - Thorburn with a sprinkle of Machacek

I think they shuttle Corms back and forth as a call up simply because he doesn't need to clear waivers.

Old
01-02-2013, 07:21 PM
Mathil8
▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌

I'm hoping for:

Patrice - Slater - Macho

Just so we can roll out the PMS line

Old
01-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Bob E

Quote:
As things sit, I think the 4th line will be:

Mittens - Slater - Thorburn with a sprinkle of Machacek

I think they shuttle Corms back and forth as a call up simply because he doesn't need to clear waivers.
You might be right, Truck. But that's an awful 4th line.

Closed Thread