HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Game times to kill Canadian WJC buzz? (TSN's broadcast schedule)

Old
12-22-2012, 05:48 PM
HotToddy

vCash: 500
Wait a minute..its being played in Russia??...I thought the TSN Teenager Tourney was always played in Canada

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 05:54 PM
Kesler2Kesler
Yup

I honestly can't believe people are complaining about this.

Kesler2Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 06:01 PM
RobertKron

Part of the reason that this tournament holds such fond memories for so many people is watching games at ungodly hours. Stop whining.

RobertKron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 06:18 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

is anyone going to stream the replay from tsn2 tonight?

PoutineSp00nZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Tissotti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalcommand View Post
EDIT: I remember as a kid I got special permission to watch 2004 World Cup final. Fell asleep during intermissions but had clock to wake me up. Ended up in heartbreak but it's one of those memories that make you realize how much you love this game.
Tell me about it. For some reason some of my best memories watching football/soccer, F1 (not that those two are often played at random times for Europeans) and hockey game at night. Stacking up food, drinks and staying up watching the game/tournament.

Tissotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 04:11 AM
roto

I can't understand the complaining either. The reason why WJC gets even a little attention outside Canada is that Canada is crazy about it cares about the tournament.

If game times kill the WJC buzz of the WJC-crazy Canadians, how can Canadians expect that people in Europe care to wake up in the middle of the night to watch some kids playing some marginal sport (when the tournament is held in NA)? It's normal in Europe that if you want to watch live NHL, then you have to be awake at the worst possible time of the night (2-5am EET).

In Finland, for example, the tournament is not even shown in free channels but in pay-TV, so the average Joe here likely knows that the tournament is ongoing (from sports news) but likely hasn't seen a single game => likely isn't interested of the tournament.

roto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 09:09 AM
ffenliv
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roto View Post
I can't understand the complaining either. The reason why WJC gets even a little attention outside Canada is that Canada is crazy about it cares about the tournament.

If game times kill the WJC buzz of the WJC-crazy Canadians, how can Canadians expect that people in Europe care to wake up in the middle of the night to watch some kids playing some marginal sport (when the tournament is held in NA)? It's normal in Europe that if you want to watch live NHL, then you have to be awake at the worst possible time of the night (2-5am EET).

In Finland, for example, the tournament is not even shown in free channels but in pay-TV, so the average Joe here likely knows that the tournament is ongoing (from sports news) but likely hasn't seen a single game => likely isn't interested of the tournament.
The games aren't available for free in Canada, either, as they're shown on a sports network. TSN, for the past several years, made the games available live online for free, but this year they're charging it like a PPV event.

ffenliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 09:39 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

OMG morning games!?!

How could the IIHF do this to us?!

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:30 AM
alko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
OMG morning games!?!

How could the IIHF do this to us?!
because there are some countries in Europe, where is ice hockey also popular. Dont worry, you had it for last 4 years in a row. And form 2015 to 2021 you will have it 5 times.

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:08 AM
Paxton Fettel

is this thread meant to be a joke?

Paxton Fettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:31 AM
The Saw Is the Law

I just realised that 3 of 4 Finnish games will start at 9:30 AM.

WTF I'm using alarm clock during holidays!

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:23 PM
nubber

Russian time zone making it tough...

Starting to really appreciate the north american game times (pst) for the Junior games. Ive tripped over most of the results before the games have even started this year. Between TSN, gabby people and social media it's nearly impossible to watch not allready knowing what happened. Maybe Sweden will be a bit better? Giver boys!

nubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:25 PM
The Bored Man
Tier 2 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubber View Post
Starting to really appreciate the north american game times (pst) for the Junior games. Ive tripped over most of the results before the games have even started this year. Between TSN, gabby people and social media it's nearly impossible to watch not allready knowing what happened. Maybe Sweden will be a bit better? Giver boys!
Why would you go on hockey websites if you don't want to know the result?

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubber View Post
ye that evil Russian time zone. PST time zone is so much better.

I've gone without tripping over results- don't check any sports related sites and avoid Regular news sites too, shove a sock in your hockey friends mouths, DON'T watch ANY news on TV- they all have sports sections that always cover WJC and obviously avoid twitter and facebook.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:35 PM
Preisst
Party On!!

How could you "trip" over the game results before the game has even started? That is literally not possible. If you are watching the reruns of the games and haven't avoided hearing the result of the game the only fault lies with you. Quit blaming others for your errors.

Preisst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:38 PM
nubber

Not visiting hockey websites. Its tsn showing live standings etc 60 seconds before a 7am re-broadcast. That sort of thing

Old
01-02-2013, 05:39 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

I've just been PVR'ing them and watching them when I get up. No problems.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:40 PM
nubber

Ok, how about I just leave it at "I sure enjoy the tourny on this side of the ocean" Sheesh!

Old
01-02-2013, 05:42 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

I wake up and watch them! Lots of fun, actually. Glad the tourney is in Russia this year and glad it is doing well in terms of attendance (I heard speculation that it would be poor, but the rinks look pretty full most of the time). Russia deserves to host the WJC as much as any other country, mine included.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:42 PM
nubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
I've just been PVR'ing them and watching them when I get up. No problems.
Ya, thats the ticket. House took a lightning hit this past summer and took mine out. Just running the normal receiver right now. Be getting that fixed before sweden for sure.

Old
01-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 750
Yeah the time zone difference does suck. Tomorrow morning watching the semi's is going to be rough. I can't get to sleep early either so i was catching 2-3 hours of sleep before the game and a few hours of sleep after the games. Team Canada has had all early games too with only their game against the Russians not super early. I am in (UTC-04:00) Atlantic Time (Canada) zone so the games have been starting at 5am local time.

Killahpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:44 PM
BobDobolina

Visit only American sports sites. Don't have to worry about spoilers!

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:51 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
Why would you go on hockey websites if you don't want to know the result?
Or ya know twitter, facebook, the newspaper, taking public transportation, other people at school/work

Its pretty much impossible to make it through a 9-5 day without having it ruined so you can watch it when you get home.

I dont care enough about this tournament to put so much effort into it but for people who are trying to watch it after work or school its tough and I feel their pain

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:01 PM
FuriousSenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
I wake up and watch them! Lots of fun, actually. Glad the tourney is in Russia this year and glad it is doing well in terms of attendance (I heard speculation that it would be poor, but the rinks look pretty full most of the time). Russia deserves to host the WJC as much as any other country, mine included.

FuriousSenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:07 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alko View Post
because there are some countries in Europe, where is ice hockey also popular. Dont worry, you had it for last 4 years in a row. And form 2015 to 2021 you will have it 5 times.

-> His Point

-> your head

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote