HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Drouin...1st overall pick?

Old
01-02-2013, 02:42 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
True. Would you rather have Stephen Weiss as your number 1 center or Alex Edler as your number 1 d? Neither are elite at their position but both are solid. Really would depend on the make up of the rest of the team.
Exactly. You can't really identify either as being more important without essentially only talking about 1 team

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 02:47 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Doesn't Walsh represent in Drouin? If so, I hope he doesn't go 1st overall.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Breakfast of Champs

vCash: 500
For someone with ellite hockey iq, Mackinnon is sure taking a lot of critisism in that area.

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 03:47 PM
nki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
For someone with ellite hockey iq, Mackinnon is sure taking a lot of critisism in that area.
To me MacKinnon is very good B+ hockey sense. Drouin is maybe A-. However I don't think it's enough difference there to put Drouin ahead (even though I like to lean towards hockey sense over athleticism and physical skills). MacKinnon is going to be bigger, faster, more abrasive, better defensively (part of that is just the physical package, although I do believe Drouin is going to be competent, if you have hockey IQ to see plays offensively you should be able to use the same thing in your own zone to position yourself properly and break plays up, it just comes down to commitment). MacKinnon has the ability to will the puck into the net, something I don't see in Drouin. Drouin is always going to have to rely on his (exceptional) smarts.

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 03:52 PM
thom

I like the player a lot he dislikes to loose reminds me of Messier or Lafleur.But is there a fear he might turn out to be a esposito or daigle type player?Sometimes a 18 yrs old or 19yrs he stops to develop

thom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 03:58 PM
blinkman360
Joffrey Lives

As good as Drouin looks right now, and how high his upside may be, I just don't see anyone taking him over MacKinnon/Jones. Just way too risky, IMO. My prediction for top-5:

1. Jones/MacKinnon(depending on team need)
2. MacKinnon/Jones(whoever is left over)
3. Drouin
4. Barkov
5. Lindholm

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Qrispy

If you're in the conversation for 1st overall, you have good hockey sense period. MacKinnon is a similar player to Hall from what I've seen. He has a little more skill but he doesn't have Hall's drive. You can't wrong with a player like that at 1st overall.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
If you're in the conversation for 1st overall, you have good hockey sense period. MacKinnon is a similar player to Hall from what I've seen. He has a little more skill but he doesn't have Hall's drive. You can't wrong with a player like that at 1st overall.
he has hall's drive

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:17 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
Mackinnon doesn't bury his head when trying to gain speed through the neutral zone like Hall does.

Mackinnon seems like a much smarter player, one who won't put himself in positions to get punished by open ice hits.

They are Both explosive, but I see Nate being the smarter player.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:20 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Mackinnon doesn't bury his head when trying to gain speed through the neutral zone like Hall does.

Mackinnon seems like a much smarter player, one who won't put himself in positions to get punished by open ice hits.

They are Both explosive, but I see Nate being the smarter player.
Hall has underrated playmaking ability. His speed is his main weapon but he doesnt just blindly bull the puck through defenders, he is very aware of everything in the offensive zone. I think MacKinnon is the same, speed is his best asset but knows how to use his teammates.

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:29 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Hall has underrated playmaking ability. His speed is his main weapon but he doesnt just blindly bull the puck through defenders, he is very aware of everything in the offensive zone. I think MacKinnon is the same, speed is his best asset but knows how to use his teammates.
Taylor hall consistently put himself in harms way with his recklessness and by putting his head down.

He's consistently putting himself in the 'trolley tracks' for big hits. Has been doing so since I've ever seen him.

He can make plays, he can pass, im not suggesting he is a bad player I just think he has a bit of tunnel vision and his speed puts him in more danger than what I've seen out of Mackinnon.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

It seems Burke is also quite high on Drouin after watching him play in WJC, he is moved up to #3 spot on their drafting list so far.

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=main/latest/1/0/835671/clip/669

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:48 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Taylor hall consistently put himself in harms way with his recklessness and by putting his head down.

He's consistently putting himself in the 'trolley tracks' for big hits. Has been doing so since I've ever seen him.

He can make plays, he can pass, im not suggesting he is a bad player I just think he has a bit of tunnel vision and his speed puts him in more danger than what I've seen out of Mackinnon.
Yeah, that's true but without skating like a bull, Hall wouldn't generate the power in his strides that he currently has. There's a price to pay for that but it's an immense asset that not only helps him beat defenders but it also opens a lot of ice for teammates. He's already becoming more aware and leaving himself less vulnerable to get nailed, so I'm not worried about it much.

Mac doesn't have the power of Hall but he's got more slickness at high speed. Either way, both styles have their advantages and disadvantages.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:50 PM
DM8

Ive seen him play at the Midget AAA level, was unreal. He did play center in his first year with Anthony Duclair. Second year with LSLL, was used more as a winger.

I do prefer him over MCK, but my 2013 ranking would be:
1.MCK
2.Jones
3.Drouin
4.Barkov
5. Monahan

DM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:56 PM
12345*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibeen View Post
if the habs draft first overall, I really hope they draft this kid!
If habs draft first, they should take Jones.

Imagine Subban-Jones first pairing. Oh noes.

12345* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 07:01 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent By Design View Post
I think Mackinnon/Jones are a lock for 1st overall, I don't see either of them slipping in the ISS rankings. When was the last time the consensus 1st overall wasn't taken?

1-2 will be Jones/Mackinnon, 3-5 will be Drouin/Barkov/Monahan. The exact order is anybody's guess. There can always be surprises, but I'd be shocked if those guys aren't the top 5 barring any setbacks.
Drouin has been overshadowing MacKinnon all year, and the season is only half done. If he's entering the conversation for 1st overall, his case is only gonna get stronger as the year goes on. If he continues to outproduce MacKinnon and Halifax goes to the Memorial Cup, Drouin will finish the year with a much stronger case for himself than he currently has.

GetThePuckOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
If habs draft first, they should take Jones.

Imagine Subban-Jones first pairing. Oh noes.
Or Mac. Gally and Mac. That would be awesome.

Richiebottles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:48 PM
white57

Having watched "jo"drouin for the last three years his hands are that of a top nhl player. Two summers ago he was training with some nhlers and just watching the facial remarks from some top pro players who were very impressed with "sick skill set".

He makes people better around him and was wondering why he wasn't playing with NUG from the start.

People seem to forget how many skilled guys that are in the nhl between 5"10 - 6"0 in the nhl.I Dont buy the fact that people feel he is undersized. His hockey sense will get him to the next level.

He is a great kid with no ego who also is a rink rat who loves the game of hockey and keeps improving by the week.

With that said I don't think he will go number 1 as Jones and Mac fit most GM'S wish list.

hopefully he plays for the habs one day.

white57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:44 AM
WolfgangAmadeusEller

He was probably Team Canada's best forward today.
What a first half of the season for him. I love Eberle, Giroux and Kane (and MacKinnon), but Drouin is the most dominant 17 year old since Sidney Crosby.

WolfgangAmadeusEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:07 AM
omnicronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mind View Post
He was probably Team Canada's best forward today.
What a first half of the season for him. I love Eberle, Giroux and Kane (and MacKinnon), but Drouin is the most dominant 17 year old since Sidney Crosby.
I just don't see how anyone can make that claim based on 22 games and a WJC..

He has been doing great, but you can hardly crown him as the 'most dominant 17 year old since Crosby'.

People also seem to forget that Drouin is 5 months older than Mackinnon..

omnicronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:16 AM
WolfgangAmadeusEller

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnicronx View Post

He has been doing great, but you can hardly crown him as the 'most dominant 17 year old since Crosby'.

2 Pts/Gm with halifax..
Maybe he turns out to be a bust, who knows with prospects, but right now, he's the best 17 year old.

WolfgangAmadeusEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Bibeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnicronx View Post

HOLY **** THATS OLD...

Bibeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:26 AM
omnicronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mind View Post
2 Pts/Gm with halifax..
Maybe he turns out to be a bust, who knows with prospects, but right now, he's the best 17 year old.
Against 1.73 pts/gm (with 10 more games played) ..

Mackinnon is 17, to continue to make that claim based on 22 games by Drouin just seems outrageous to me..

That may be your personal opinion, but far from consensus.. Especially where it counts (and that would not be on an HF board with wannabe scouts like yourself and I)

Last edited by omnicronx: 01-03-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old
01-03-2013, 11:29 AM
omnicronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibeen View Post
HOLY **** THATS OLD...
Mackinnon was playing at 16, some people just seem to forget that he is still a 17 year old.. That's all I was getting at..

I'm not trying to make the 'well he has 5 months on him and thus had a headstart' argument.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:33 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

He ha an outside chance. I still think MacKinnon and Jones are ahead.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote