HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 U.S.A. (Part 2)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-01-2013, 02:45 PM
  #776
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 22,982
vCash: 500
Don't like the Ghost suspension one bit not surprised but really way too harsh. 5 periods on top of the 5 minutes for what he did is extremely steep.

Also kind of amazed since I thought this might be the angle, I assumed when they announced the penalties today if he did get it at least the kid that slew-foot him immediately prior to that would be missing a game in the relegation round as well. Not that it would make me feel any better, but the IIHF needs to consider when these actions took place and the punishment they render.

The Zetterberg Era is offline  
Old
01-01-2013, 04:39 PM
  #777
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,948
vCash: 500
The suspension of Ghost is a joke. Don't get me wrong, it was an incredibly stupid thing to do (he admitted so himself after the game) but being suspended for 5+ periods for it? Give me a break - typical IIHF stupidity. Hartman's hit to the head of Murphy was much more dangerous and that netted him less than 5 minutes of missed time and no supplementary discipline. But a light nut tap is worth 25 times more punishment than Hartman's hit? And the "intent to injure" argument I've seen floated around is stupid. There's no more intent to injure in what Ghost did versus every slashing penalty on the wrists, hit from behind, checking to the head, etc. Hell, Kolena took a run at Bardreau (who didn't have the puck) after the whistle signaling the end of the 2nd period and didn't receive a penalty or discipline and that's much worse than both the Ghost or Hartman plays. And that's to say nothing of the slew foot on Ghost by that Slovakian that started the whole chain of events, which the IIHF conveniently ignores as well.

Once again, the incompetence of the IIHF shines through. Not surprising but continually frustrating (and this doesn't just affect Team USA but all the teams at one point or another).

__________________
"I have been complimented many times and they always embarrass me; I always feel that they have not said enough." - Mark Twain.
William H Bonney is offline  
Old
01-01-2013, 04:42 PM
  #778
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
If Bardreau had laid on the ice for a few hours then Kolena probably would have been tossed.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
01-01-2013, 05:22 PM
  #779
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
Grant Sonier on Galchenyuk:


Quote:
Last year there was a solid argument that Galchenyuk was the most skilled player in the draft, and that same argument could apply to the WJC. He is dangerous every time he steps on the ice and has put up points, but many expected him to dominate every shift and that has not happened. Nevertheless, for me, he has been one of the tourney's best.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog/...valuations-ufa

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
01-01-2013, 05:46 PM
  #780
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,009
vCash: 141
Dumb ruling by the IIHF but it was an equally dumb decision by Gostisbehere.

magic school bus is offline  
Old
01-01-2013, 07:15 PM
  #781
wings5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,771
vCash: 500
http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?...id=DL|NHL|home

wings5 is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 05:41 AM
  #782
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,948
vCash: 500
Great win for the team. Reminded me of the big win over Finland in the 2010 Olympics. I thought the team played really well, especially in a game where the refs were awful for both sides. Jones had his best game by far, Trouba was a beast again, Gibson was very sharp and got some good action in (although he didn't have to make a ton of big saves as a lot of the Czech shots were easy saves), and Gaudreau stays hot.

My only two issues:

1) Kuraly is a bit of a dead weight on his line right now. I'd love to see Trocheck take his spot, especially if the team needs a jump start against Canada.

2) Housley not playing the 13th forward (Lucia) in a blowout. It's just stupid. I understand it when the game was a contest but that was a route the last half of the game. You never know when a player could get booted from a game (this is the IIHF) or hurt and it's stupid not to give the guy that would fill in some ice time and confidence in a game that was far over.

That said, I'm really confident in the team right now. There's a lot of different players that are riding high right now and at worst the team will be playing for the bronze. Canada is going to be a tall test but I'm happy the team will get another chance at them. They'll have to be their best tomorrow.

William H Bonney is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 05:45 AM
  #783
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
Yeah, why on earth was Lucia locked on the bench tonight?

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 05:55 AM
  #784
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist
 
The Mentalist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Great win for the team. Reminded me of the big win over Finland in the 2010 Olympics. I thought the team played really well, especially in a game where the refs were awful for both sides. Jones had his best game by far, Trouba was a beast again, Gibson was very sharp and got some good action in (although he didn't have to make a ton of big saves as a lot of the Czech shots were easy saves), and Gaudreau stays hot.

My only two issues:

1) Kuraly is a bit of a dead weight on his line right now. I'd love to see Trocheck take his spot, especially if the team needs a jump start against Canada.

2) Housley not playing the 13th forward (Lucia) in a blowout. It's just stupid. I understand it when the game was a contest but that was a route the last half of the game. You never know when a player could get booted from a game (this is the IIHF) or hurt and it's stupid not to give the guy that would fill in some ice time and confidence in a game that was far over.

That said, I'm really confident in the team right now. There's a lot of different players that are riding high right now and at worst the team will be playing for the bronze. Canada is going to be a tall test but I'm happy the team will get another chance at them. They'll have to be their best tomorrow.
I agree about Troechek, the more you watch him, the more you appreciate his game. Does everything well, but quietly. He and Biggs are probably the best 2 defensively aware line/tandem on the US team. Both had a great game penalty killing. You need these types of players to fill out the top 9.

Grimaldi who I loved in the 11 draft is still a bit of a disappointment, he doesn't use his teammates well enough to be a top 6 player. Expected more from him, as for Housely benching players, it's sending a msg, and it's working, so I can't disagree.

The Mentalist is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 06:07 AM
  #785
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 22,982
vCash: 500
Lucia was a surprise scratch for me to begin with, I mean I guess somebody had to sit down/be the 13th forward and play less, but maybe he is a little banged up or something. Could also be another message sending exercise although unlike Grimaldi I don't think it was as necessary. Just saying we don't know the whole backstory. If he told him he wasn't playing today or they planned on resting him for some kind of knock it makes sense even in a blowout to keep his backside parked on the bench. I don't know that they took a penalty where someone could just serve but they did that to Grimaldi, had they done that to Lucia if they had got one, maybe we could have gone with punishment as the likely scenario.

The Zetterberg Era is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 06:10 AM
  #786
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
My line of Lucia-Galchenyuk-Barber probably has even less than no chance of happening now that Lucia is benched, but I'm still going to yell it.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 06:16 AM
  #787
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 22,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
My line of Lucia-Galchenyuk-Barber probably has even less than no chance of happening now that Lucia is benched, but I'm still going to yell it.
Preach on, I asked for McCabe and Jones for a month and Housley finally saw the light.

Maybe you will get what you want. I do like Kuraly's speed and how hard he works, but I think your line would work a little better, still not a ton of chemistry for those guys.

I will tip my hat to Housley on one thing Vesey to the first has really helped that line. He holds the puck a split second longer and really opens some things up and plays smart. That isn't who I would have probably picked to bump up the lines and it was an excellent call. We bang on him a lot over the course of this tournament, but that was a feel call he knocked out of the park in my opinion.

The Zetterberg Era is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 06:20 AM
  #788
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Preach on, I asked for McCabe and Jones for a month and Housley finally saw the light.

Maybe you will get what you want. I do like Kuraly's speed and how hard he works, but I think your line would work a little better, still not a ton of chemistry for those guys.

I will tip my hat to Housley on one thing Vesey to the first has really helped that line. He holds the puck a split second longer and really opens some things up and plays smart. That isn't who I would have probably picked to bump up the lines and it was an excellent call. We bang on him a lot over the course of this tournament but that was feel call he knocked out of the park in my opinion.
Yeah he nailed that. That got Gaudreau running and that's absolutely vital. Now if we can get Galchenyuk some more freedom and ice time but the coaching staff really seem to want to hold him back. Kuraly is a good player but he's a role player. I think he has four points with Miami this year in something like 18 games. He almost has as many in this tournament! Meanwhile Lucia has more points than he does and in less games. He's near a point per game but gets benched in favor of Kuraly? I like Kuraly's game but he's not going to score for us. Only problem is that the Bardreau line has been good, so no need to break that up.

I'd like to see Galchenyuk at center with the puck on his stick more often. We need both Gaudreau and Galchenyuk's lines rolling tomorrow night. Hopefully Grimaldi gets his head out of whereever it's been and shows up as well. I don't get how a kid who does so well in the NCAA can be so terrible in this tournament.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 09:49 AM
  #789
headsigh
leave at once!
 
headsigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 9,868
vCash: 500
Grimaldi plays like he has lead in his skates and his stick is weighted. It's a far cry from his collegiate play. Maybe he's sick.

Hopefully he, along with everyone else on the team, performs as needed tomorrow.

headsigh is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 10:15 AM
  #790
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 20,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
Grimaldi plays like he has lead in his skates and his stick is weighted. It's a far cry from his collegiate play. Maybe he's sick.

Hopefully he, along with everyone else on the team, performs as needed tomorrow.
His skating/hustle has been fine. He just looks lost offensively. It's probably a shock to his system to not be a go-to guy on this team at this point.

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 11:21 AM
  #791
WreckItRask
Registered User
 
WreckItRask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 7,144
vCash: 500
I agree with the recent sentiments. I don't get how Lucia gets sat, especially watching Grimaldi again. He looks completely lost and useless out there. I don't have any major gripes with Housley, and I think he should be commended for the Vesey move as it's gotten Gaudreau and Miller going again. But Lucia was red hot coming into the tourney for Notre Dame, he adds a size/speed combo that is needed on this team, and Grimaldi has done nothing to earn a regular shift in my opinion.

WreckItRask is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 11:26 AM
  #792
TylerSVT*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,378
vCash: 500
Nice to see Gaudreau playing well again.

Also nice to see Grimaldi riding pine and playing limited minutes. He is all kinds of awful.

TylerSVT* is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 11:39 AM
  #793
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,459
vCash: 500
Said this in the GDT, but as a Preds fan, I can see why Poile raved about Vesey and said they almost took him even earlier and were thrilled he was still available.

His playmaking ability looks outstanding so far.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 12:05 PM
  #794
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 3,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
My line of Lucia-Galchenyuk-Barber probably has even less than no chance of happening now that Lucia is benched, but I'm still going to yell it.
I'd be all for that combo. If they don't want Gally at center then move Trochek up there. Kuraly just hasn't fit in in an offensive role. Otherwise things seem to be working for the most part.

cagney is online now  
Old
01-02-2013, 01:24 PM
  #795
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 11,171
vCash: 500
great game for the US with offense coming from everywhere. This was exactly the matchup we needed and the outcome as well. Gaudreau and Miller are now going which will make it a tougher battle for Canada than the first game.

I really like the way Hartman and Barber are playing. They are chipping in and scoring whenever they get that chance infront of the net.

Tomorrow will be a hell of a battle, but our defense, goaltending, and special teams are all firing right now...those are the 3 most important aspects of the medal round.

AmericanDream is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 01:40 PM
  #796
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 11,171
vCash: 500
one of the main questions will be what does the US do with Gostisbehere?? Since he got tossed against Slovakia, the US has pretty much put up 15 goals in 5 periods of play without him. I think Sieloff has stepped in very nicely and he and Trouba are perfect together, especially against Canada...

I am not suggesting to bench Shayne, but I can see him being a filler/power play guy, or Reilly gets dropped to that role and Ghost earns back a top 6 spot...

All our d pairings look solid, just hate to mess with the chemistry that has been built with these guys.

AmericanDream is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 01:43 PM
  #797
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 11,171
vCash: 500
still dont understand Housley and how he handles his 13th forward. No reason to have Lucia sit the pine the whole game, especially in another blowout. We need guys of his ilk to play well, and getting him going would have been nice as well. It will be a battle against Canada tomorrow and a kid like Lucia is better suited for that game than a Grimaldi imo.

I thought Grimaldi played better then he did the past few games, but I still wanted to see Lucia get a bigger role today instead of being sat. Not sure why Housley does that but I think Lucia will be needed tomorrow and getting him some confidence and icetime would have helped.

AmericanDream is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 02:42 PM
  #798
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
I'd be all for that combo. If they don't want Gally at center then move Trochek up there. Kuraly just hasn't fit in in an offensive role. Otherwise things seem to be working for the most part.
Yeah I think that Gally's line just needs some tweaking and we can really get rolling.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 02:43 PM
  #799
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
one of the main questions will be what does the US do with Gostisbehere?? Since he got tossed against Slovakia, the US has pretty much put up 15 goals in 5 periods of play without him. I think Sieloff has stepped in very nicely and he and Trouba are perfect together, especially against Canada...

I am not suggesting to bench Shayne, but I can see him being a filler/power play guy, or Reilly gets dropped to that role and Ghost earns back a top 6 spot...

All our d pairings look solid, just hate to mess with the chemistry that has been built with these guys.
I think he should be mostly a power play guy. Sieloff is probably a better physical option against Canada.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 05:22 PM
  #800
TylerSVT*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,378
vCash: 500
Im hoping Seiloff destroys RNH

TylerSVT* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.