HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Proposed Schedule

Old
01-02-2013, 05:34 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
I think this lockout has made some of us crazy. You'd rather there be no season? You are crazy for thinking that.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

I think 48 game season would be awesome with all conference play. Let's also remember that the playoffs stay the same so by the time they started, all the players should be at midseason form.

Lazyking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:41 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
I think 48 game season would be awesome with all conference play. Let's also remember that the playoffs stay the same so by the time they started, all the players should be at midseason form.
They are talking about expanding the playoffs by adding more teams. Maybe a 4th seed plays a 5th seed to see who gets the 4th place. Sort of a wild card... Something like that?

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:12 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
They are talking about expanding the playoffs by adding more teams. Maybe a 4th seed plays a 5th seed to see who gets the 4th place. Sort of a wild card... Something like that?
I'm thinking that would not go into effect until the realignment takes place.

Then it would be the top five teams of each conference, with intra-conference playoffs (probably a "play in" round best of 3 games for #s 4 and 5 seeds), until you have the top four teams (and then conference X champ would play conference Z champ; conference Y champ would play conference W champ to determine the two teams to mean in Stanley Cup finals).

But let's stick to discussing the 2013 "season" schedule in this thread (we can make an "expanding playoff" thread to discuss this otherwise).

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:58 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

From Rob Rossi (I believe he's a Penguins beat guy):

http://triblive.com/mobile/m/msports...ason-games-nhl

Quote:
Though multiple sources said plans are subject to change, the Penguins likely would face the Flyers in Philadelphia for a nationally televised matinee on Jan. 19 if the NHL and its Players‘ Association agree on a new labor contract.

The sources said a 48-game season would begin Jan. 19, with each of the NHL‘s 30 clubs playing that day. Games would be played throughout the day as part of a celebration of hockey across North America. Rivalry games would dominate Day 1 of the shortened season to placate the NHL‘s national television partners in the United States and Canada, the source said.

A 48-game schedule will preserve most of the previously booked arena dates, but matchups will change because clubs will play only in-conference opponents. Clubs would play seven games against division opponents and a home and road game against each of 10 remaining conference teams, the sources said.

NJDevs26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 07:24 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Quote:
Even today with 82 games the scheduled isn't balanced. And by that I mean a schedule where every team plays a home and home against every team ( 29x2 = 58 .. so you see every team in your building at least once ) and the remainder made up with conference play. This way you get to see all the teams and all the stars, every year.

With a 48 game schedule against only teams in your own conference, I just don't think of that as "balanced".

Sorry, just a difference in what I would like to see and consider a "balanced" schedule to be.
The way the schedule is rumoured to be (division heavy) then its not really balanced.

However, it would be impossible to do a 48 game schedule in the time they have and have teams flying across the country multiple times.

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 07:28 PM
fastvoteman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
From Rob Rossi (I believe he's a Penguins beat guy):

http://triblive.com/mobile/m/msports...ason-games-nhl
Wow this makes no sense at all. How can all 30 teams play on the same day when there is no inter conference play? 7 games vs division and 2 vs others? That sounds like a really bad idea.

fastvoteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 07:37 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Rob cant do math apparently.

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:19 PM
Ringmaster316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I think this lockout has made some of us crazy. You'd rather there be no season? You are crazy for thinking that.

i think me means its bush league to crown a winner with so little games played compared to what others teams have had to go threw in the past...i agree 48 games is stupid(anything under 68-64 games is bush league)...i would rather they cancel the season eventhough canucks have a great shot to win with only 48 games played

Ringmaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:30 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastvoteman View Post
Wow this makes no sense at all. How can all 30 teams play on the same day when there is no inter conference play? 7 games vs division and 2 vs others? That sounds like a really bad idea.
lmao I missed that goof...I guess two teams will just have to play a doubleheader

Rangers against the Isles in the afternoon and the Devils at night for one of them

NJDevs26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:33 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Even today with 82 games the scheduled isn't balanced. And by that I mean a schedule where every team plays a home and home against every team ( 29x2 = 58 .. so you see every team in your building at least once ) and the remainder made up with conference play. This way you get to see all the teams and all the stars, every year.

With a 48 game schedule against only teams in your own conference, I just don't think of that as "balanced".

Sorry, just a difference in what I would like to see and consider a "balanced" schedule to be.
I think you're trying to dig yourself out from under what was a poorly thought out OP.

There's a significant difference between complaining about what the format of a shortened Season schedule might be like, and complaining the scheduling structure in general in a normal Season. You're not content with the scheduling format, fine... but the shortened Season isn't the fault for that.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:37 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Re Rossi: article now edited to say "most of the 30 teams" will play. (IOW, 28 active teams)

Old
01-02-2013, 10:58 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/01...ested-canucks/

Canucks scribe complains about a long (travel) season, even if "shortened"

Old
01-02-2013, 11:10 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/01...ested-canucks/

Canucks scribe complains about a long (travel) season, even if "shortened"
That's the key issue. A 3 to 4 games per week schedule would be a tough haul for teams that normally have a hard travel schedule anyway. And the injury issue, with little or no time between games for players to recover. Not the best of scenarios for an endurance scheduled sport as it is. The only positive of course is that it would only be about 48 or 52 games rather than the normal 82. Either way, long or short and compact, it's pretty much equally an endurance test.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:18 AM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

vCash: 1375
Agreed - of course we all want hockey (except for a the few posters who claim they won't watch when it comes back) --- but I do not believe cramming a 48-game schedule into the calendar, with a Stanley Cup final in late June, is a good idea. (EDIT - but I will happily accept a deal at this point)

As you state - there are travel and injury problems with the schedule, and all because both sides want to extract the maximum amount of venue from the fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
That's the key issue. A 3 to 4 games per week schedule would be a tough haul for teams that normally have a hard travel schedule anyway. And the injury issue, with little or no time between games for players to recover. Not the best of scenarios for an endurance scheduled sport as it is. The only positive of course is that it would only be about 48 or 52 games rather than the normal 82. Either way, long or short and compact, it's pretty much equally an endurance test.

mzappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:42 AM
Xref

There isn't a whole lot of "cramming" going on. The normal NHL schedule would have seen teams play about 41 games between Jan 15th and April 13th. Considering the reduced travel requirements of in-conference-only play, adding 7 games into that timeframe should not be a big deal. If it was, the PA would have objected. LOL.

Xref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:23 AM
villevalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
(Rumor is the league may make NHL Center Ice "free" for the season.)
If they did, would that be Game Center Live too or just Center Ice?

villevalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:33 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
If you're sitting on your ass at home in front of your tv and have a ton of free time, sure, it's great. If you are going to these games, it's not, you are being force fed and bled for everything they can get out of you.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
A 48-game schedule will preserve most of the previously booked arena dates, but matchups will change because clubs will play only in-conference opponents. Clubs would play seven games against division opponents and a home and road game against each of 10 remaining conference teams, the sources said.
It's already dull enough seeing the number of divisional games dominate an 82 game season... but having a 48 game schedule where half of it is against the same four teams, and only seeing some of the other teams just once, while the other conference is ignored completely...

I'd rather not have a season.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

I can't wait for them to get this going! That way I can officially start to not watch. It is hard to not buy the product when it isn't available for purchase. I will feel much better when they are playing and I am not watching.

Capsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:09 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster316 View Post
i think me means its bush league to crown a winner with so little games played compared to what others teams have had to go threw in the past...i agree 48 games is stupid(anything under 68-64 games is bush league)...i would rather they cancel the season eventhough canucks have a great shot to win with only 48 games played
By that logic, anything prior to the original expansion is bush league, since those teams only played 50 regular season games and a max of 14 playoff games. Let's wipe all those Montreal championships off the books. And then they played 74 games. And then 80. The current 82-game regular season schedule was only implemented in the mid-nineties. Even when they went to the four rounds of playoffs, the first round of the playoffs used to be best 3 out of five until the mid-eighties. Asterisks for everyone!!

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
By that logic, anything prior to the original expansion is bush league, since those teams only played 50 regular season games and a max of 14 playoff games. Let's wipe all those Montreal championships off the books. And then they played 74 games. And then 80. The current 82-game regular season schedule was only implemented in the mid-nineties. Even when they went to the four rounds of playoffs, the first round of the playoffs used to be best 3 out of five until the mid-eighties. Asterisks for everyone!!
They also played under different rules and had harder travel. They played in a time when a Gordie Howe hat trick was something to be proud of. Not in the time of ticky tack Bettman hockey.

Capsized is offline   Reply With Quote