HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why can't CDN fans rally around CDN teams in the Playoffs?

Old
01-02-2013, 04:28 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 50
Oilers fan. I would support all Canadian teams except Calgary and Vancouver, but those 2 are a result of divisional rivalry rather than being Canadian.

Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
Oilers fan. I would support all Canadian teams except Calgary and Vancouver, but those 2 are a result of divisional rivalry rather than being Canadian.
Same here. Identical feelings.

I'll even cheer for the Leafs. No hate.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:32 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

For the same reason why fans of american teams dont cheer USA USA... oh wait....

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:34 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
Not true what so ever. I'm from Canada and the only team I want to even maybe win is the leafs and that's because it would annoy every single non leaf fan.

When the wings get knocked out I'll usually root for the underdog team or the team with the longest Stanley Cup drought. The other thing I do is root against all the Canadian teams.
That's nice and all, but you're a fan of an American team. For the case of Canadians that are fans of Canadian teams, it is a very widespread sentiment. Your team winning and a Canadian team winning the Stanley Cup don't coincide. Not the case for a fan of the Leafs if the Senators are Stanley Cup-bound or a Calgary fan if Vancouver is in that situation. Most people, north and south of the border, don't want to see their rivals win, after all. I'm sure that you wouldn't want to see the Blackhawks win another Cup, after all, or even possibly end our drought in the first place.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:35 PM
StayFrosy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
For the same reason why fans of american teams dont cheer USA USA... oh wait....

Yeah exactly.

And for those who say American fans don't make it an issue of American teams winning the Cup...

How long has it been since the last American team won the Cup?

How many American teams are there?

StayFrosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:35 PM
tmg

I've never understood this mentality. I live near Ottawa. If I support Ottawa as a homer favorite, that makes sense. I'm supporting the team whose home games I might actually attend, I'm supporting the small businesses in my community that live off that team, I'm supporting the players that are residents of the local community and many of them contribute to the community with charity efforts and the like.

What the hell would any of that have to do with the price of tea in China... when the Oilers are playing the Hurricanes in the Cup final? I don't have anything against the Oilers, mind - it's not a case of 'rivalry' whatsoever. It's just that I don't see homer-fan-ism as being nationalistic at all. It's regionalist. And Western Canada teams ... aren't regional to me. If I cheer for twenty men on a sheet of ice, my reason for cheering for them, if not the aforementioned regionalist support - has a lot more to do with those men and how they play then it has to do with where they play half their games and whether or not it that faraway site I have never been to and probably never will is on the same side as I am of a thousands-of-kilometres-long border.

tmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:48 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Well besides the divisional reason, which is obvious, I have another reason that may have been mentioned.

Maybe they don't root for teams outside their division because they want to be the team that brings the Cup back to Canada?

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." — -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Honestly, outside of Winnipeg and to a lesser extent Ottawa I hate every Canadian team passionately. Mostly because of there fan bases, but I also dotn like EDM VAN or CGY because there in the NW Division, so there also divisional rivals with my team. MTL and TOR fanbases are way to full of themselves. Ottawa is ok, there fan base is fairly humble(Although the whole Karlsson thing is bad at times).

But yea, I will never ever cheer for Van, Cgy, Edm, Tor, or Mtl. Ièd rather stop watching the NHL entirely then cheer for those teams.

Pierce Hawthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:52 PM
theranfordflop

Well I think the answer to this thread's question is clear: Canadians CAN get behind other Canadian teams.

Just not Vancouver.

theranfordflop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:54 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Canadian here.

I have a team I am a die hard fan of. Its an American team. Once that team is out, hockey season is over for me. I won't support anyone else, regardless of their nationality.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:58 PM
blaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linters View Post
Because Canada is the country held together by hate for each other.

The British Columbians hate the East because they don't feel they get equal representation. Everybody else hates the British Columbians because they are seen as whiners that don't have to experience real winter.
The Albertans hate everybody else because they view them as mooching off their resources. Everybody else hates the Albertans because they are seen as a bunch of red kneck hill billies.
The Prairies hate everybody else because they mooch off their wheat. Everybody else hates the prairies because they are too damn flat and cold.
The Ontarians hate everybody else because they refuse to acknowledge that Ontario is the best province. Everybody hates Ontarians because they think they are the centre of the world.
The Quebecers hate everybody else because they aren't French. Everybody hates Quebec because they are French.
The North hates everybody else because they feel neglected. Everybody else hates the North because they keep on complaining about not having basic necessities like food and shelter.

And the reason we stick together is so that we can continue to spite each other.

That being said everybody likes the Maritimes, such nice people and they have great accents.
It doesn't say where you're from, but my guess is Ontario!

blaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linters View Post
Because Canada is the country held together by hate for each other.

The British Columbians hate the East because they don't feel they get equal representation. Everybody else hates the British Columbians because they are seen as whiners that don't have to experience real winter.
The Albertans hate everybody else because they view them as mooching off their resources. Everybody else hates the Albertans because they are seen as a bunch of red kneck hill billies.
The Prairies hate everybody else because they mooch off their wheat. Everybody else hates the prairies because they are too damn flat and cold.
The Ontarians hate everybody else because they refuse to acknowledge that Ontario is the best province. Everybody hates Ontarians because they think they are the centre of the world.
The Quebecers hate everybody else because they aren't French. Everybody hates Quebec because they are French.
The North hates everybody else because they feel neglected. Everybody else hates the North because they keep on complaining about not having basic necessities like food and shelter.

And the reason we stick together is so that we can continue to spite each other.

That being said everybody likes the Maritimes, such nice people and they have great accents.
lmao, well there's all the Canadian stereotypes for ya.

Sky04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:05 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Yeehaw!
And if Ontario was the best, they wouldnt all migrate over to Alberta.

And I hate a lot of people from the maritimes. It's either super nice or super annoying with those people.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:07 PM
WonderTwinsUnite

Why the hell would I cheer for the Oilers or Flames?

I cheered for Ottawa, would for Montreal, not Toronto.

WonderTwinsUnite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:08 PM
DonthaveaCOWEN

Its all built up team and city rivalries of course. I cheer for Canadian teams enough (WJC, WHC, Olympics, World Cup, etc.). And plus, I want MY TEAM to be the first to end Canada's cup drought.

There's really no set law or logic. For instance, I kinda got behind Montreal. I dislike the them as a rival and their fans are very abnoxious drunks at games in Ottawa (sorry but true) but I respect the hell out of their history and what they mean to hockey. So I kinda got behind them but in no way because I felt obligated to do so.

On the flip side, I would NEVER cheer for the Leafs. I remember in 02' I was "impartial" when they went to the ECF vs Carolina but that was when they had players I hated but respected (Sundin, Cujo, Roberts, etc.). Now they have one of the most boisterous unlikeable characters in the league with Phaneuf and Burke as the face of their franchise. (This is not a leafs troll, just trying to show that Canadians have no obligation to cheer for other Canadian teams, particularly rivals.)

DonthaveaCOWEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:10 PM
Jerkini

As a Leafs fan I respect the Montreal franchise. Of all the teams in Canada, they understand what it's like to be a big deal. The other cities, sans Winnipeg because right now their fans are just happy to have a team, the fans in other cities have little man syndrome and feel the need to compensate. It's disgusting.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 01-02-2013 at 07:10 PM. Reason: flaming
Jerkini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:11 PM
darglor

My cheering list goes something along the lines of:
1: Ottawa
2-6: Most Canadian teams (obviously some favoured more than others)
7-29: American teams (obviously some favoured more than others)
30: Toronto

The reason is simply rivalry and how most Toronto fans I speak to in real life are so undeservedly smug when they're talking about their team... When there's a good chunk of the population that is still holdover Leafs fans in the region, you get sick of it. The overemphasis on the Leafs in the media doesn't help as well and you wind up just flat out annoyed.

That said, my list is always subject to change. For example, I was originally rooting for Vancouver in their playoffs but their synchronized diving workshop, the stupid riots and my hockey pool all made me happy Boston won instead.

darglor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:15 PM
DonthaveaCOWEN

On a semi-related topic...Winnipeg returning was such a feel good story for all Canadians. I give them at least 1 more season under that label but it will be interesting to see how quickly that wears off once they develop some heated rivalries with their neighbours out west. (Hell Ottawa-Winnipeg was one of the most underrated rivalry's of this past season.)

Same can be said when Quebec City comes back. Everyone will be tickle pink to have the Nords back in those beautiful blue jerseys but that team will go from favorites to hated very quickly lol (the Quebec/Canada factor). Can't wait for Montreal/QC rivalry

DonthaveaCOWEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:20 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

I cheer for teams with players that I like, or styles of play I find entertaining. Nationality is irrelevant.

PoutineSp00nZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:23 PM
TOML

Why does everyone down there assume that Canadians like each other?

We don't.

TOML

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Honestly, the media hype and Canadian bandwagonners in Ontario made me want to cheer against Vancouver.

Generally I couldn't care less about a team just because they are Canadian.

Lars The GOAT Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:43 PM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
I dont know how anyone could cheer for Burrows, Bieksa, Kesler, Lapierre and Luongo to win the cup.

I could cheer for any other team than Vancouver, they are the anti-class.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo57 View Post
What Habs fan would cheer for the Leafs in the playoffs? Or vise-versa? The Jets, on the other hand, I would cheer on. It's as you said, divisional and historical rivalries.
I cheered for the Habs in 93, wasn't a team you could dislike for the most part. The problem is, most Canadian teams these days (especially with the internet) are not easy to like

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:50 PM
RogerRoeper*

Canadian hockey fans are most brutal to other Canadian fans of teams, so it makes sense they wouldn't cheer for their most hated rivals.

The idea of rooting for the Canadian team sounds nice, but it's not realistic.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Jaqen

As a Leafs fan the only other Canadian teams I could tolerate winning would be the Oilers and Flames, but even they can get on my nerves with their Alberta supremacy crock.

I would have accepted the Jets but their fanbase is needlessly smarmy towards the Leafs, so to hell with them.

Jaqen is online now   Reply With Quote