HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Patrick Kane v. Alex Kovalev

View Poll Results: Patrick Kane v. Alex Kovalev
Patrick Kane 70 56.00%
Alex Kovalev 55 44.00%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-02-2013, 09:32 AM
  #1
ot92s
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
Patrick Kane v. Alex Kovalev

a couple players with insane mitts, both with a strong performance in their cup title run. And yet it seems like there should be more production in there somewhere...

I'll take Kane, looks like a faster/quicker skater to my eyes, although I think AK had more sniper in him...

ot92s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:30 AM
  #2
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool
 
Rhiessan71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Guelph, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,905
vCash: 500
Kovalev (when he felt like it) could dominate a game on every possible level.
Kane has never been on that kind of level.

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:48 AM
  #3
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
Kovalev (when he felt like it) could dominate a game on every possible level.
Kane has never been on that kind of level.
True, although I can see the "when he felt like it" factoring into some votes. Of course, having said that, his "when he felt like it" is almost statistically indistinguishable from Kane - even at age 35.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:52 AM
  #4
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
Kane seems so much more accomplished than Kovalev at the same age and Kovalev took until 28 or 29 to accomplish career wise what Kane has at 24, that I think this vote is a no brainer for me. Kane.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:57 AM
  #5
theicebox
#MonixWatch
 
theicebox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 1,775
vCash: 500
Kovalev. I am biased.

theicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:45 PM
  #6
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool
 
Rhiessan71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Guelph, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Kane seems so much more accomplished than Kovalev at the same age and Kovalev took until 28 or 29 to accomplish career wise what Kane has at 24, that I think this vote is a no brainer for me. Kane.
What accomplishments are those exactly?
Stanley Cup ring?
Kane's Calder? Because Kovalev had a chance in hell of beating out one of the top 5 most deserved Calder's in the entire history of the league?

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:51 PM
  #7
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,214
vCash: 500
I prefer Kane.

Kovalev gets a lot of those "he dominated when he felt like it", to bad he didn't feel like it enough.

Kane occupies a higher position on the Hawks totem pole than Kovelev ever did until that breakout year in Pittsburgh much later in his career.

At 23, Kane already has more than half the career playoff points that Kovalev has.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:51 PM
  #8
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
What accomplishments are those exactly?
Stanley Cup ring?
Kane's Calder? Because Kovalev had a chance in hell of beating out one of the top 5 most deserved Calder's in the entire history of the league?
Kane had double the points Kovalev did as a rookie.

It took Kovalev 8 years to hit the 70 point mark for the first time. Kane did it in each of his first four NHL seasons.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:52 PM
  #9
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Kane seems so much more accomplished than Kovalev at the same age and Kovalev took until 28 or 29 to accomplish career wise what Kane has at 24, that I think this vote is a no brainer for me. Kane.
Really? How? Kovalev played on the Russian WJC, Olympic, and World Championship teams by age 18, and got his Cup ring in his second NHL season vs Kane's third season. Patrick Kane is, right now, pretty much exactly where Kovalev was at the same age. Kovalev kept it up for another decade of ~20 goal/~40 assist seasons, though, so Kane either has to "prove" to be better at his best, or he better get compiling because he has quite a track record to chase - even with Kovalev.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:52 PM
  #10
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
What accomplishments are those exactly?
Stanley Cup ring?
Kane's Calder? Because Kovalev had a chance in hell of beating out one of the top 5 most deserved Calder's in the entire history of the league?
Kane's scoring finishes have been a lot better was what I meant.

It took until he was 27 years old for Kovalev to have a season of 66pts or better. At 24 years old, Kane had equalled or bettered that mark 5 times.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:55 PM
  #11
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Kane's scoring finishes have been a lot better was what I meant.

It took until he was 27 years old for Kovalev to have a season of 66pts or better. At 24 years old, Kane had equalled or bettered that mark 5 times.
Of course, at age 24 Kovalev was playing in the DPE, while Kane was playing in the no-touchy feely "new" NHL. But whatever, right?

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:57 PM
  #12
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Of course, at age 24 Kovalev was playing in the DPE, while Kane was playing in the no-touchy feely "new" NHL. But whatever, right?
Kovalev wasn't doing that much statistically between 1992 and 1997 when the league was still high scoring...

Kovalev gets way too much credit for looking good doing very little.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:58 PM
  #13
kes81sel
Go MacT
 
kes81sel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Red Deer
Country: Canada
Posts: 147
vCash: 216
I choose Kane basically because I think he is a better all around player.

kes81sel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:10 PM
  #14
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Kovalev wasn't doing that much statistically between 1992 and 1997 when the league was still high scoring...

Kovalev gets way too much credit for looking good doing very little.
Well, it was his first 4 years in a new league, on a new continent, in a new culture. Still got more than 200 points over that time, but almost more importantly he established himself as (talent-wise) one of the best to ever play in the league.

And just back up for a second. Without getting into whether we like Kovalev flavoured coffee in the morning, we're comparing him to Patrick Kane - who hasn't accomplished more than Kovalev, nor distinguished himself as more of a "premier talent".

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 02:34 PM
  #15
Hobnobs
Pinko
 
Hobnobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,974
vCash: 500
Chose Kovalev because as to my knowledge, he hasnt robbed anyone.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 02:57 PM
  #16
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Well, it was his first 4 years in a new league, on a new continent, in a new culture. Still got more than 200 points over that time, but almost more importantly he established himself as (talent-wise) one of the best to ever play in the league.

And just back up for a second. Without getting into whether we like Kovalev flavoured coffee in the morning, we're comparing him to Patrick Kane - who hasn't accomplished more than Kovalev, nor distinguished himself as more of a "premier talent".
Kane is one of the main pillars of the Hawks resurgent who had a Conn Smythe caliber run in the playoffs as a 20 year old sophomore. Seems like he's done more in that two year window than Kovalev has managed his entire career.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 03:24 PM
  #17
Hobnobs
Pinko
 
Hobnobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Kane is one of the main pillars of the Hawks resurgent who had a Conn Smythe caliber run in the playoffs as a 20 year old sophomore. Seems like he's done more in that two year window than Kovalev has managed his entire career.
yea and Kovalev was useless on the Rangers

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 03:54 PM
  #18
Sens Rule
Registered User
 
Sens Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,091
vCash: 500
Kane is a tiny player and Kovalev was huge and strong. It is a significant difference.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:37 PM
  #19
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
yea and Kovalev was useless on the Rangers
On Chicago it's Toews and Kane/Keith.

On the Rangers, it was Messier, Leetch, Richter, Zubov and Graves before Kovalev.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:08 PM
  #20
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Kane is one of the main pillars of the Hawks resurgent who had a Conn Smythe caliber run in the playoffs as a 20 year old sophomore. Seems like he's done more in that two year window than Kovalev has managed his entire career.
And yet... Kovalev was the Rangers' 2nd leading scoring forward (after Messier) when they won the Cup - and he was 21 (Kane was also 21, btw, and also their second highest scoring forward, but hey... details, who needs 'em, amiright). Kovalev actually accomplished more in those two first years; especially if you consider he got WJC AND Olympic gold to end his junior career. What is Kane's record by comparison, bronze/silver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
On Chicago it's Toews and Kane/Keith.

On the Rangers, it was Messier, Leetch, Richter, Zubov and Graves before Kovalev.
Sharp, Byfuglien, Bolland, Hossa, Versteeg, and Seabrook all frown at you for forgetting how much they contributed to Chicago's Cup.


Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 01-02-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:24 PM
  #21
Fred Taylor
The Cyclone
 
Fred Taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Close but Kovalev in his prime was better than Kane.

Fred Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:06 PM
  #22
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Kane seems so much more accomplished than Kovalev at the same age and Kovalev took until 28 or 29 to accomplish career wise what Kane has at 24, that I think this vote is a no brainer for me. Kane.
that's the way I'm looking at it as well even though I'm a career guy, Kovalev\s top 5 year consecutive peak, 00-04 is slightly better in the regular season but his other great season with Montreal came in 08 and it's pretty hard not seeing Kane who is only 24 right now surpassing Kovalev's prime really quickly, like in a manner of 2 seasons and then he would be 26 and still ahve many productive years left.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:19 PM
  #23
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Of course, at age 24 Kovalev was playing in the DPE, while Kane was playing in the no-touchy feely "new" NHL. But whatever, right?
Sure nobody hits in todays NHL ever that's why there are hardly any injuries like concussions....

Here are Kanes 5 years adjusted which are consecutive

72,78,94,79,73 Playoff line of 51-20-32-52

Now here is Kovalev in his best 5 year stretch (99-03)

60,72,103,87,86 Playoff line of 29-6-12-18

Now Kovalev also had years of 91,60,63,67,56,52 and 51 points in his career and a total playoff line of 123-45-55-100 but like I said before we can easily see Kane besting Kovalev's entire maximum prime in as little as 2 years time.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:20 PM
  #24
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
And yet... Kovalev was the Rangers' 2nd leading scoring forward (after Messier) when they won the Cup - and he was 21 (Kane was also 21, btw, and also their second highest scoring forward, but hey... details, who needs 'em, amiright). Kovalev actually accomplished more in those two first years; especially if you consider he got WJC AND Olympic gold to end his junior career. What is Kane's record by comparison, bronze/silver?



Sharp, Byfuglien, Bolland, Hossa, Versteeg, and Seabrook all frown at you for forgetting how much they contributed to Chicago's Cup.
Sharp, Byfuglien, Bolland, Hossa, Versteeg and Seabrook can all sit down given Kane scored 28 playoff points as a 21 year old, including the cup winning goal in OT.

Kane was 1st in Hawks scoring in 2007-08
Kane was 2nd in Hawks scoring in 2008-09
Kane was 1st in Hawks scoring in 2009-10
Kane was 2nd in Hawks scoring in 2010-11
Kane was 3rd in Hawks scoring in 2011-12

Kane was the second leading scorer in the playoffs for the Hawks in 2009
Kane was the second leading scorer in the playoffs for the Hawks in 2010
Kane was tied for the lead in the Hawks in playoff scoring in 2011
Kane was tied for the lead in the Hawks in playoff scoring in 2012

In contrast, Kovalev was 8th in Rangers scoring in his rookie year
In 1994, Kovalev was 6th in Rangers regular season scoring
In 1995, Kovalev was 6th in Rangers regular season scoring
In 1996, Kovalev was 5th in Rangers regular season scoring
In 1997, Kovalev was 8th in Rangers regular season scoring (injured for half the year)
In 1998, Kovalev was 3rd in Rangers regular season scoring
In 1999, Kovalev scored a total of 53 points, which would have put him 4th in Rangers and Penguins scoring
In 2000, Kovalev was 2nd in Penguins regular season scoring
In 2001, Kovalev was 2nd in Penguins regular season scoring
In 2002, Kovalev was 1st in Penguins regular season scoring
In 2003, Kovalev scored a total of 77 points, which would have put him 2nd in Penguins scoring and 1st in Rangers scoring
In 2004, Kovalev scored a total of 45 points, which would have put him 2nd in Rangers scoring and 5th in Canadiens scoring
In 2006, Kovalev was 1st in Canadiens regular season scoring
In 2007, Kovalev was 6th in Canadiens regular season scoring
In 2008, Kovalev was 1st in Canadiens regular season scoring
In 2009, Kovalev was 1st in Canadiens regular season scoring
In 2010, Kovalev was 4th in Senators regular season scoring
In 2011, Kovalev scored a total of 34 points which would have put him 3rd in Senators scoring and 6th in Penguins scoring

So you're basically looking at a guy who is guaranteed in top two in scoring on Chicago in five regular seasons and 4 playoffs versus a guy like Kovalev who didn't manage to lead his team in scoring until much later in his career. Has Kane even peaked?

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:38 PM
  #25
Hobnobs
Pinko
 
Hobnobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Sharp, Byfuglien, Bolland, Hossa, Versteeg and Seabrook can all sit down given Kane scored 28 playoff points as a 21 year old, including the cup winning goal in OT.

Kane was 1st in Hawks scoring in 2007-08
Kane was 2nd in Hawks scoring in 2008-09
Kane was 1st in Hawks scoring in 2009-10
Kane was 2nd in Hawks scoring in 2010-11
Kane was 3rd in Hawks scoring in 2011-12

Kane was the second leading scorer in the playoffs for the Hawks in 2009
Kane was the second leading scorer in the playoffs for the Hawks in 2010
Kane was tied for the lead in the Hawks in playoff scoring in 2011
Kane was tied for the lead in the Hawks in playoff scoring in 2012

In contrast, Kovalev was 8th in Rangers scoring in his rookie year
In 1994, Kovalev was 6th in Rangers regular season scoring
In 1995, Kovalev was 6th in Rangers regular season scoring
In 1996, Kovalev was 5th in Rangers regular season scoring
In 1997, Kovalev was 8th in Rangers regular season scoring (injured for half the year)
In 1998, Kovalev was 3rd in Rangers regular season scoring
In 1999, Kovalev scored a total of 53 points, which would have put him 4th in Rangers and Penguins scoring
In 2000, Kovalev was 2nd in Penguins regular season scoring
In 2001, Kovalev was 2nd in Penguins regular season scoring
In 2002, Kovalev was 1st in Penguins regular season scoring
In 2003, Kovalev scored a total of 77 points, which would have put him 2nd in Penguins scoring and 1st in Rangers scoring
In 2004, Kovalev scored a total of 45 points, which would have put him 2nd in Rangers scoring and 5th in Canadiens scoring
In 2006, Kovalev was 1st in Canadiens regular season scoring
In 2007, Kovalev was 6th in Canadiens regular season scoring
In 2008, Kovalev was 1st in Canadiens regular season scoring
In 2009, Kovalev was 1st in Canadiens regular season scoring
In 2010, Kovalev was 4th in Senators regular season scoring
In 2011, Kovalev scored a total of 34 points which would have put him 3rd in Senators scoring and 6th in Penguins scoring

So you're basically looking at a guy who is guaranteed in top two in scoring on Chicago in five regular seasons and 4 playoffs versus a guy like Kovalev who didn't manage to lead his team in scoring until much later in his career. Has Kane even peaked?
oh he scored a cup winner did he? That is some extreme intangibles right there!

Yes kane has peaked.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.