HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why can't CDN fans rally around CDN teams in the Playoffs?

Old
01-02-2013, 05:52 PM
WhatThePuck
"Shoots Wide" !!!

vCash: 500
Fans of Canadian teams rooting for other Canadian teams has always seemed ridiculous to me(especially if they're a rival)...most Canadians do it because they have a severe inferiority complex when it comes to the States.
Would I ever root for the Devils just because they come from the same tri-state area as my team(Rangers)...Hell No Never !!!!!

WhatThePuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:52 PM
CoopALoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
I dont know how anyone could cheer for Burrows, Bieksa, Kesler, Lapierre and Luongo to win the cup.

I could cheer for any other team than Vancouver, they are the anti-class.

Only Canadian team I wouldn't cheer for is Toronto, for reasons that have been repeated many times already.

Oh and Edmonton. Nothing against the team or fans (city sure does suck though). But mainly because my boss is a die hard oilers fan and is living back in the 1980's. :

In reality, I think it's a sibling syndrome type of deal.

We all recognize ourselves as Canadian and we all love the sport of Hockey. But at the same time, nothing says rubbing it into your siblings faces like being able to boast about winning the holy grail of hockey.

CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Hammer Time

vCash: 533
Divisional rivalries are strong. Hell will freeze over before Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton fans all unite to cheer for one of those teams. Ditto with Toronto and Montreal. It's like asking a Hawks fan to cheer for the Wings because they're both Midwestern teams.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:01 PM
KidRobot

Send a message via AIM to KidRobot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
With Dallas usually out of the playoffs, I feel no need to hop on a certain team's bandwagon just because they play in my country.

Besides, if you're going to wax patriotic, isn't it enough that most players are still Canadian anyways?
It's a bit different since there's 22 other US teams and no sense of pride for the sport in the US.

KidRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:19 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Well the answer to the Canucks is easy... They're a very unlikeable team filled with unlikeable players who play an unlikeable style.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 01-02-2013 at 07:12 PM. Reason: crap
SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:21 PM
RogerRoeper*

I think the internet plays a huge part in it. We now have access to the opinions of most fans.

I had no idea there were these many obnoxious hockey fans prior to the late 90's.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:28 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Canadian but fan of an American team. I'm very nationalistic so I'm always cheering on a Canadian national team. I'm also pretty competitive so I like to cheer on someone in the playoffs if my team doesn't make it.

Only time I've cheered for a Canadian team in the playoffs was the recent Edmonton and Calgary Cup runs. I was actually cheering more for Roloson then I was the actual Oilers team and I was hoping Calgary would finally win it for a Canadian team. Didn't care for Ottawa and as for Vancouver, I tried to cheer them on in the Finals but I just couldn't do it. Also never cheered on Montreal. Here in Ontario, Montreal, Toronto, and Detroit have large annoying fan bases.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:38 PM
Plante

Are we suddenly more patriotic if we cheer for a Canadian team, is that the point?

Nationalism?

Pride?

Archaic ideas are archaic.

Plante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:38 PM
BOLD MacT Trade
GoldMoldisMacTBold

vCash: 177
Jealousy, because we all want OUR team to win.

BOLD MacT Trade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:39 PM
UnrefinedCrude

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post

I had no idea there were these many obnoxious hockey fans prior to the late 90's.
No mirrors in your house until a decade and a half ago?

Seriously though, I only cheer actively for the Oilers. I could never cheer for any of the rivals, and yes WPG, WHA history makes you one.
So never CGY,Van or WPG, for rivalry reasons.

Montreal and Toronto tried to block every Canadian expansion, in fact it took a nationwide Molson beer boycott to get Montreal to vote to let the WHA teams in, so since they didn't want us to have NHL hockey I hope they never win anything again.

Ottawa I am totally ambivalent about. Honestly I am not sure I have ever met anyone who cheers for them that didn't have a relative playing for them.

And don't get me wrong, as much as I don't want to cheer for those teams, I want even less for their fans to cheer for my team. If my team finally wins the Cup again I want the other fans to stew and suffer, i don't want to let them share the victory through some artificial "Canada's team" hokum. There is only one Canada's team and that is :

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Brymas McCaberle

Fellow Canadians around these parts seem content kicking my beloved Leafs while they're down, so why should I care for whatever favourite team they cheer for?

Brymas McCaberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:42 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
If you are a fan of a Canadian team, you probably hate the other Canadian teams.

And to be fair, the only Canadian teams to make it in the last couple years were Vancouver, Ottawa and Montreal.

Toronto fans hate Montreal and Ottawa
Montreal fans hate Ottawa
Ottawa fans hate Montreal
and everyone hates Vancouver.
Wrong.
Montreal couldn't care less about Ottawa.

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Shawnathon

When Calgary made the finals, Canadians went crazy. When Edmonton made the finals Canada went crazy. When the Sens made the playoffs, the hype wasn't as big but they still had the support of most Canadians. When Vancouver made the playoffs, 95% of Canadians were cheering for Boston.

Shawnathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:44 PM
BoxOfChocolates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey Rustie View Post
If the Jets are out, it doesn't matter who the hell is playing (unless I hate a team/player), the only thing I cheer for is good hockey.
100% agree. (with the Avs of course)

BoxOfChocolates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:44 PM
hefsbeaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linters View Post
Because Canada is the country held together by hate for each other.

The British Columbians hate the East because they don't feel they get equal representation. Everybody else hates the British Columbians because they are seen as whiners that don't have to experience real winter.
The Albertans hate everybody else because they view them as mooching off their resources. Everybody else hates the Albertans because they are seen as a bunch of red kneck hill billies.
The Prairies hate everybody else because they mooch off their wheat. Everybody else hates the prairies because they are too damn flat and cold.
The Ontarians hate everybody else because they refuse to acknowledge that Ontario is the best province. Everybody hates Ontarians because they think they are the centre of the world.
The Quebecers hate everybody else because they aren't French. Everybody hates Quebec because they are French.
The North hates everybody else because they feel neglected. Everybody else hates the North because they keep on complaining about not having basic necessities like food and shelter.

And the reason we stick together is so that we can continue to spite each other.

That being said everybody likes the Maritimes, such nice people and they have great accents.
never been to northen BC at this time of year have you?

As for the op do you like kissing your sister? that is what it would feel like if Calgary or Edmonton hoisted the cup. I enjoy good hockey as much as the rest and I understand why people dont like the canucks or leafs or any team just hate it when I as a huge fan of the nucks am told that all of their fans are cocky and arrogent and you have not even heard me say one thing. But I digress I will not cheer for another team whether they are from the states, canada or russia if my nucks are knocked out. I start to look at players, love to see guys like Ray Bourque lifting a cup, hate seeing the avs do it but I was cheering for them for Ray

hefsbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:47 PM
MXD

There are other factors.

Calgary vs. Tampa? I cheered for Tampa. Because I preferred the makeup of that team.

Anaheim vs. Ottawa? I cheered for none and mildly supported Ottawa, due to not caring about them and disliking Anaheim more.

Edmonton vs. Carolina? I cheered for Edmonton, because I hate Justin Williams.

I could actually cheer for the Leafs in the right circumstances.

But nowadays, the teams I relate the more to, other than the Habs, are the Flyers and the Penguins (which is funny, I know).

I guess I could cheer for Edmonton and Winnipeg eventually. And I like the Canucks much more than the average HF'er -- I actually wanted them to win against LA.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Shootmaster_44

I don't cheer for them because I am not a bandwagon hopper. I am a Kings fan, always will be a Kings fan and will not cheer for anyone who plays in the same league as the said Kings.

It infuriates me when people automatically assume I should wrap myself in the flag and cheer for a team simply because they happen to come from the same country as myself. Why do I have to cheer for a team from Canada simply because I live in the same country? It doesn't make me feel good to see any other team win aside from my Kings. Ultimately, seeing another team win would mean that my Kings did not. I cheer for Team Canada in international competition, but despite what the name of the Montreal NHL team would imply, none of these teams are Team Canada. Quite honestly, I find it odd that if you even lived in the same province as a team, you would be expected to cheer for that team. To me the Canucks are Vancouver's team, Oilers are Edmonton's etc. nobody outside of the city limits in my mind have no specific reason to be somewhat obligated to cheer for that team.

It is for this silly, nationalistic reason, that I delight each year when the last Canadian team loses as it means we finally can stop hearing about why Canadians should cheer for Team X.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:49 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnathon View Post
When Calgary made the finals, Canadians went crazy. When Edmonton made the finals Canada went crazy. When the Sens made the playoffs, the hype wasn't as big but they still had the support of most Canadians. When Vancouver made the playoffs, 95% of Canadians were cheering for Boston.
Tampa was more popular in Quebec.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:50 PM
Slicknitty
"80,000 peoples"

vCash: 50
Only other team I'll cheer for is Montreal.

Slicknitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:51 PM
Nick0930

We can cheer for them, we just choose not to.

Nick0930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
I cheered for the Habs in 93, wasn't a team you could dislike for the most part. The problem is, most Canadian teams these days (especially with the internet) are not easy to like
I think that's a great point. Teams with bigger fanbases have a greater chance of having the vocal lunatic fringe piss off the other posters. A team like the Kings, Canes or Lightning have a much smaller community of posters, which translates to fewer moron's making the entire fanbase look stupid. On the message board you always remember the vocal crazies (any other Hawks fans remember Flapjack from 2010?) which tend to really poison the well for everyone.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:53 PM
DaHabMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
If you are a fan of a Canadian team, you probably hate the other Canadian teams.

And to be fair, the only Canadian teams to make it in the last couple years were Vancouver, Ottawa and Montreal.

Toronto fans hate Montreal and Ottawa
Montreal fans hate Ottawa
Ottawa fans hate Montreal
and everyone hates Vancouver.
came here to say that mtl fans DONT hate ottawa fans...ott fans do hate us but were more indifferent to ott then anything else. Toronto though...thats another story. hate is not a strong enough word for them.

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:55 PM
UnrefinedCrude

Being told we "should" cheer for the other teams is a huge deterrent as well. That was evident when Vancouver made its run. The bandwagoning by Canadian media was way over the top on their run. (Worse then the other teams' runs.) It helped make moderates into haters. (Most haters would have been haters anyway, but it made them much more vocal as well.)

NHL hockey is about clubs, not countries, making in nationalistic evokes the opposite response.

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:56 PM
leeaf83

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
generally speaking if someone cheers for one of the leafs, habs, or sens, they hate the other two due to the rivalries and fact that if one wins the cup, the fans of the other 2 will never hear the end of it. Though there were a fair amount of leafs and habs fans cheering for the sens in 2007 when they made the finals

Any islander fans or devils fans here; were you cheering for the Rangers in 1994 or the canadian team playing them? Panthers fans were you cheering for the lightning in 2004? Kings or Sharks fans were you cheering for the Ducks in 2007? If I'm coming across as being sarcastic I'm not trying to be, legit questions here.

As mentioned most of eastern canada rallied behind the flames in 2004, PEI folks cheered for tampa due to Brad Richards, Oilers and Canucks fans may not have though.

I don't mean to sound rude to Canucks fans but I will be as honest as possible; it was their roster in 2011 which held many people back from cheering for them. I live in Ontario and can say that when the Flames and Oilers made the finals, there were around 10 times as many people here cheering for them vs those cheering against them when they were in the finals. With the canucks/bruins finals it was around half cheering for each team and I'm including habs fans who normally hate the bruins.

The canucks are a roster full of rats simply put; they are dirty, they yap constantly at the refs and other teams, they rarely fight and they dive more than any other team. I'd almost be tempted to say the canucks winning the cup in 2013 would be worse for the game than no cup being awarded due to teams/players inevitably attempting to replicate the champs style each year. I will personally admit that under almost any other circumstance I would cheer for the canucks over the bruins or Kings but I refuse to cheer for a team which plays with zero honour.

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:56 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Why can't Californian fans rally round Californian teams in the Playoffs?

I seriously have no clue why Ducks and Sharks fans didn't root for the Kings! It's bewildering, it's almost like we played an 82 game season in the same division and hate each other's guts!

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote