HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Patrick Kane v. Alex Kovalev

View Poll Results: Patrick Kane v. Alex Kovalev
Patrick Kane 76 58.02%
Alex Kovalev 55 41.98%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Sure nobody hits in todays NHL ever that's why there are hardly any injuries like concussions....
I guess I have to ask, why didn't you assume that I was talking about the relative lack of obstruction that all players (particularly small ones) have faced since the previous lock out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
but like I said before we can easily see Kane besting Kovalev's entire maximum prime in as little as 2 years time.
Totally possible. Probably even popular opinion right now. But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Has Kane even peaked?
I doubt it, but it's possible. How are we going to measure? Are you going to stick with points, and his current three year trend of 88-73-66? Or are we going to wait until he leads his team in scoring four times?

Old
01-02-2013, 08:13 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
oh he scored a cup winner did he? That is some extreme intangibles right there!

I guess Kane has a lot to learn from Kovalev...

Old
01-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Kyle McMahon

^

Sums up Kovalev right there. Most overrated player of the last decade. "Oh but he's so talented!!!". Yeah OK, well lets add Ales Hemsky to the poll too then.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I guess I have to ask, why didn't you assume that I was talking about the relative lack of obstruction that all players (particularly small ones) have faced since the previous lock out?
Perhaps you did, I try not to assume too much but the fact of the matter is that it is still really hard to score in todays NHL like it was in the clutch and grab era.

The NHL is still extremely over coached and the goaltending equipment is still out of this world.

Quote:
Totally possible. Probably even popular opinion right now. But...
Hey I was being generous here, the only true way to compare these guys now would be their 1st 5 years, it's really unfair to compare any player with 5 years to a guys whole career.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
What accomplishments are those exactly?
Stanley Cup ring?
Kane's Calder? Because Kovalev had a chance in hell of beating out one of the top 5 most deserved Calder's in the entire history of the league?
You are right but a 65-20-13-33 line by Kovalev wasn't going to beat any of the top 3 in Kane's year either, or top 5 for that matter.

Who knows in 93 if Lindros had played in 82 and not 61 games either?

Selanne's 76 goals would have been hard to top even with dominant 2 way play.

Kane was also in the mix for the Conn Smythe in 10, with Toews (the winner) and Keith also being in the mix.

Was Kovalev ever that type of guy?

Old
01-02-2013, 09:06 PM
tjcurrie

You can't compare Kane on the Hawks when he came in to Kovalev on the Rangers back then. Kovalev had Messier, Gartner, Amonte, and Graves all ahead of him. The Hawks were brutal so Kane had nobody ahead of him. Besides, it's a rookie season. Doesn't much matter. And winning the Calder isn't all what you do yourself but what other rookies you have to compete with.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
You can't compare Kane on the Hawks when he came in to Kovalev on the Rangers back then. Kovalev had Messier, Gartner, Amonte, and Graves all ahead of him. The Hawks were brutal so Kane had nobody ahead of him. Besides, it's a rookie season. Doesn't much matter. And winning the Calder isn't all what you do yourself but what other rookies you have to compete with.
The Hawks were brutal when Kane came to town and before his ELC was up they had a Stanley Cup. Says a lot about Kane.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:26 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
The Hawks were brutal when Kane came to town and before his ELC was up they had a Stanley Cup. Says a lot about Kane.
That's a credit to him, but let's face it, they gathered a ton of talent in a quick period of time. Kane was just a piece. A nice piece, but just one piece. Kovalev was darn good for the Rangers in their Cup run in just his second season. So you can't take anything away from him really.

I'm not saying Kovalev is the better player here, honestly it's a tough choice and to me the one thing that holds me back from saying Kovalev is the big knock on him - that he's not easily motivated. I never liked him much because of that so maybe I would take Kane. Hard choice though as Kovalev is all-world talent (probably above Kane) himself and did have a darn good career. I'm just saying I wouldnt use the beginning of their careers to make a comparison. Different teams/situations and Kane is still fairly wet behind the ears to be truly compared with a guy who has played almost 20 years.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:50 PM
FakeKidPoker*

Kane probably should have won the Conn Smythe.

Toews went beast mode against Vancouver but his play really dropped off after that... Kane was just so clutch in those playoffs.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:46 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Says alot about how much talent they collected. How are the Hawks doing now with just Kane, Keith and Toews?

Old
01-03-2013, 04:57 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Here are their best totals in adjusted points:

Patrick Kane: 94, 79, 78, 73, 72
Alexei Kovalev: 103, 91, 87, 86, 72, 67, 63, 60, 60, etc

In 4 consecutive seasons from 1999-00 to 2002-03, Kovalev had 72, 103, 87, 86 adjusted points.

Since the OP didn't specify "at the same age," I don't know how you can't pick Kovalev.

Full disclosure: I was tempted to pick Kane, until I looked at the numbers.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:07 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

I would take 2008 Kovalev over any Kane.

I'm a huge Kovalev fan though.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:09 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:

I guess Kane has a lot to learn from Kovalev...
LOL I was at that game , we still won the series.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:56 AM
tony d
The Future

Close but Kovalev

01-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Says alot about how much talent they collected. How are the Hawks doing now with just Kane, Keith and Toews?
The Hawks were still a 100 point team last year...

I don't understand this supporting cast argument against Kane. Kovalev played on teams with Messier, Leetch, Zubov, Graves, Lemieux, Jagr, Francis, Alfredsson, Spezza over the course of his career.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:05 AM
Czech Your Math

Quote:
So you're basically looking at a guy who is guaranteed in top two in scoring on Chicago in five regular seasons and 4 playoffs versus a guy like Kovalev who didn't manage to lead his team in scoring until much later in his career. Has Kane even peaked?
Did I miss the part where, during his early prime, Kane was playing on teams with Gretzky or Jagr?

Old
01-03-2013, 11:17 AM
seventieslord

Kane will definitely be the better all-time player at this rate... a perrennial 70-90 point scorer. Kovalev could have been that (or better) but wasn't. As of now though, if we're comparing careers, easily Kovalev.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Kane will definitely be the better all-time player at this rate... a perrennial 70-90 point scorer. Kovalev could have been that (or better) but wasn't. As of now though, if we're comparing careers, easily Kovalev.
I took the question as who would you take, not who had the better career, hence why I answered Kane. Obviously Kovalev has the higher career value due to having played a complete career, but if I have them both as 18 year olds, based I what I know now, I'd take Kane.

Old
01-03-2013, 02:19 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
Did I miss the part where, during his early prime, Kane was playing on teams with Gretzky or Jagr?
Exactly. Pointing out where a player finishes in team scoring is almost pointless.

Kane led his team in scoring twice in his first four seasons and finished second the other two times. Jaromir Jagr on the other hand only led his team once and finished 5th, 6th, and 5th in the other three of his first four season. See how pointless that stat can be?

Even placement in league scoring can be skewed. How many scoring titles does Steve Yzerman have? And how many does Jarome Iginla have? (no offense to Jarome)

Last edited by tjcurrie: 01-03-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old
01-03-2013, 02:31 PM
jw2

I'll take the guy more likely to show up for a 3rd season in the NHL.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:33 PM
FakeKidPoker*

A 24 year old who has 5 NHL seasons Vs A guy with a whole career.

Not really fair.

But I think Kane has this in about 10 years.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:37 PM
FakeKidPoker*

Kane already has a first All star Team

All Kovalev has is a 2nd one I believe.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:29 PM
the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
^

Sums up Kovalev right there. Most overrated player of the last decade. "Oh but he's so talented!!!". Yeah OK, well lets add Ales Hemsky to the poll too then.

Gretzky and Lemieux both disagree with you...

Old
01-06-2013, 10:34 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
^

Hemsky hasn't come close to touching Kovalev's couple of biggest seasons and Kovalev had over 1000 career points, so no, let's not.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:23 PM
The Sweetness

What are we voting on? Their careers? That seems a bit harsh on Kane if that is the case given his age. Or are we voting on who we think will have the better career? I could see Kovalev doing better late on in his career given his size as I think Kane may have difficulties creating space if he loses his first step. But if it is who we think will have the better career I go with Kane.

Closed Thread