HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Afino's 2012-2013 Lockout-Ending OT Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2013, 04:19 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

vCash: 500
My sister is letting her friends and neighbors take our car and use it to get to places like their work, the grocery store and parties.

I am going to kill her.

Old
01-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV18 View Post
and we are encouraged to use them because they are afraid of us burning out. I just need to wait for my 6 month probation to end before I can start using my time off.
I read that as: "we're going to burn you out in the first 6 months so you quit and don't get to take ANY time off! MWAHAHAHAHA!"

Old
01-02-2013, 06:26 PM
AV18

Send a message via AIM to AV18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
I read that as: "we're going to burn you out in the first 6 months so you quit and don't get to take ANY time off! MWAHAHAHAHA!"
Hahahaha, nope. They are really big on self-care here just because of the nature of the work.

Old
01-02-2013, 07:20 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

OK... so I know I mentioned a few days ago about my growing desire to get back into working out. I could certainly use to lose a few pounds as well.

I have a few issues though and would love some input:

1) Time: I don't really have time for a gym
2) Even if I did I was never huge on the gym. Combination of finding/waiting for machines and not really enjoying just being on a machine drove my desire to go to the gym when I did have time down
3) Variety: I like variety in my work out... can't do the same thing day in and day out

So basically my question is what is out there that I can do at home that will give me variety but still get some results. I know there are all kinds of "video" work outs, out there but have no experience with them so don't know how well they work but would try one if someone who has experience with them has seen results.

Also my son has an xbox with kinect. I know there are "games" for it for working out but I don't know what ones are more geared towards being a game and what ones are geared towards working out.

Any input would be greatly welcome. Thanks.

Old
01-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McDermott View Post
OK... so I know I mentioned a few days ago about my growing desire to get back into working out. I could certainly use to lose a few pounds as well.

2) Even if I did I was never huge on the gym. Combination of finding/waiting for machines and not really enjoying just being on a machine drove my desire to go to the gym when I did have time down
3) Variety: I like variety in my work out... can't do the same thing day in and day out

So basically my question is what is out there that I can do at home that will give me variety but still get some results. I know there are all kinds of "video" work outs, out there but have no experience with them so don't know how well they work but would try one if someone who has experience with them has seen results.

Also my son has an xbox with kinect. I know there are "games" for it for working out but I don't know what ones are more geared towards being a game and what ones are geared towards working out.

I was happy with P90X, but it requires a fair bit of equipment.

Insanity is supposed to be pretty awesome cardio - not sure how varied it is (P90X has something like 15 different workouts), but I think equipment requirements there are pretty minimal.

Old
01-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post

Insanity is supposed to be pretty awesome cardio - not sure how varied it is (P90X has something like 15 different workouts), but I think equipment requirements there are pretty minimal.
P90X is good, but if you don't have time for a gym, you probably don't have time for P90X either. Some of the workouts in P90X are 90 minutes.

Honestly, you're probably best off just doing a simple body weight workout. Push-ups, pull-ups, crunches, squats, etc. Modify the below for a solid workout that requires very little equipment and not a ton of time.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009...kick-your-ass/

Old
01-02-2013, 07:50 PM
Brass Bancroft

Quote:

In addition to the p90x and Insanity videos, there is also the Tapout XT video set. 12 different workouts. It involves MMA moves such as knee strikes and elbows, but it also has cardio too. It's not as intense as Insanity, but still provides a good workout. No other equipment is needed.

Last edited by Brass Bancroft: 01-02-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old
01-02-2013, 08:05 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Yoga might be an option, though time could be an issue (esp if you have never done it and need a class). Within yoga there are tons of different postures/stretches/etc. to work different muscle groups, so you could do a different workout every day. The one advantage is you only need a mat and a small space somewhere...no equipment.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Quote:

I've seen stuff on insanity... it looks interesting and no equipment is required. I just don't know if I'm ready to go from not working out to something called insanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
P90X is good, but if you don't have time for a gym, you probably don't have time for P90X either. Some of the workouts in P90X are 90 minutes.

Honestly, you're probably best off just doing a simple body weight workout. Push-ups, pull-ups, crunches, squats, etc. Modify the below for a solid workout that requires very little equipment and not a ton of time.

It isn't exactly a complete lack of time for a gym... I have time but can't always get to the gym because of stuff with my son. When I do get back into it a lot of my working out will probably happen in the morning when my son is home before he gets on the bus. Hence why I'd like something at home. Well that an as I said I find the gym kind of boring.

I'll check out the link thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbtide198 View Post
In addition to the p90x and Insanity videos, there is also the Tapout XT video set. 12 different workouts. It involves MMA moves such as knee strikes and elbows, but it also has cardio too. It's not as intense as Insanity, but still provides a good workout. No other equipment is needed.
I'll have to do more research on p90x, insanity and that.

Thanks guys

Old
01-02-2013, 09:08 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
peter gabriellllll

Old
01-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post

I like that site. I'm currently doing this one:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009...-build-muscle/

But, I'm starting from not having worked out at all in 15 years. I'm also trying to build up the strength to use and over the door pull up bar I bought in the last woot off.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:

Quote:

I've done both P90X and Insanity. I found the insanity to be better for my purposes but it was because of some medical issues that affected my ability to fully utilize the P90 to its fullest benefit.

I didn't find any limitation and overtly repetitive routines with the Insanity. I think your biggest issues would be the amount of space you would have to do it. It doesn't require much but you would need a decent cleared spot by the TV.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
I've done both P90X and Insanity. I found the insanity to be better for my purposes but it was because of some medical issues that affected my ability to fully utilize the P90 to its fullest benefit.

I didn't find any limitation and overtly repetitive routines with the Insanity. I think your biggest issues would be the amount of space you would have to do it. It doesn't require much but you would need a decent cleared spot by the TV.
I have a coffee table on wheels so clearing that out of the way is pretty simple. I should give me plenty of room based on the amount of room I've seen people use in the video on their website.

I found the whole set on Ebay for about half of what the actual website wants for it... including free shipping VS almost $30 for shipping on the website. So I'm really thinking about getting it sometime in the next week. My wife also said she'll take the challenge with me if I do.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:03 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
I have a coffee table on wheels so clearing that out of the way is pretty simple. I should give me plenty of room based on the amount of room I've seen people use in the video on their website.

I found the whole set on Ebay for about half of what the actual website wants for it... including free shipping VS almost $30 for shipping on the website. So I'm really thinking about getting it sometime in the next week. My wife also said she'll take the challenge with me if I do.
One of the things I liked about it is they have you take a fitness test before each series to see where you're at and then you take one after so you can chart your progress. It helps to see that you've increased stamina and strength besides hopefully dropping some lbs and inches

Old
01-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
David Attenborough:
I hate nature

Old
01-03-2013, 06:40 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

In 24 hours, my oldest son will be playing on the 1980 Olympic rink in Lake Placid. Pretty damn cool. (for both of us).

Old
01-03-2013, 07:06 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
I wonder how much my fiance will appreciate this comic?

Old
01-03-2013, 07:07 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Up at 3:30am.

5:00am Class @ CF Rochester [Endurance bias work: 20 minute row for distance WOD: 7 minute AMRAP 1 burpee]

In to work by 6:30am.

8 week Paleo Challenge starts on Sunday.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:21 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:

http://www.thetravelingwod.com/

Daily equipment free workouts.

Well, you need a timer. But, if you have a smartphone, you are all good.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:30 AM
Penalty Killa
glitter skates

Daughter threw her first temper tantrum this morning.

Yeah....that was fun.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:15 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV18 View Post
Domestic Violence Advocate. I meet with victims and help link them with services (filing charges, getting orders of protection, court advocacy, reimbursement, counseling, housing, shelter, medical treatment, etc). We also take on-call shifts for all county hospitals to meet with DV and sexual assault victims, and help answer calls on the state and county DV hotlines. It's a lot of different work and I'm really enjoying it. I'm in a minimum of 5 different places each week, and I like the change of scenery.
Hey, that's awesome. Keep up the good work.

01-03-2013, 08:15 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Broke my phone (stickiness, everywhere) in a drunken new years eve stupor, and my loaner phone is a Galaxy S2 (which is much better). My phone is on back order so I may be "stuck" with this one for awhile.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:37 AM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Killa View Post

Yeah....that was fun.
Ignore and/or distract!

Old
01-03-2013, 08:45 AM
Penalty Killa
glitter skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
Ignore and/or distract!
You mean I wasn't supposed to scream in her face and call her a worthless excuse for a kid?

Old
01-03-2013, 08:46 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Killa View Post

Yeah....that was fun.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/4124062?ad...l5=pla&veh=sem

I liked this book.

Closed Thread