HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Former MLB commish Fay Vincent talks about Fehr's negotiating style

Old
01-02-2013, 07:55 PM
sandysan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by du5566 View Post
The PA was well aware of the leagues struggles and assumed like everyone else that the NHL would attack the 57% revenue share the players had been recieving as well as attempting to lower the cap. So the players went out and hired Fehr to give them the best possible chance of keeping as much of what they won in the last negotiations as possible. I understand the hiring I just don't respect the decision given everything Fehr stands for and how much another work stoppage would hurt the league.
Yeah all he stands for, skillfully represernting and advising the people who pay him, really what a jerk.
What does bettman stand for besides the " you must be this tall" sign at the tilt-a-whirl and perpetual lockouts?

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:03 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
Yeah all he stands for, skillfully represernting and advising the people who pay him, really what a jerk.
What does bettman stand for besides the " you must be this tall" sign at the tilt-a-whirl and perpetual lockouts?
Skillfully representing and advising the people that pay him. Having the fortitude to implement a salary system that put the entire league on better economic footing and providing a competitive balance that makes the NHL a good product.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Mr. Fancy Pants

Does every thread have to turn into a rehash of the same arguments?

I stopped watching baseball after 94 so I didn't have a good opinion of Fehr before this (although I was too young to understand the issues at that time) but there are some things that have impressed me about him:

- he doesn't listen to threats. How many times has Bettman said this was the best they could do only to come back with a better offer? Fehr's prediction that the offers will continue to get better has been dead on.

- he keeps his cool. Even when it seemed hopeless at times I haven't seen him go crazy. He keeps at it.

- he is very loyal to the people paying him. Even the people against him have to admit he is 100% dedicated to the players and getting the best deal for them at this time.

Mr. Fancy Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:14 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Skillfully representing and advising the people that pay him. Having the fortitude to implement a salary system that put the entire league on better economic footing and providing a competitive balance that makes the NHL a good product.
I don't begrudge bettman for doing his job, I just don't ignore the the fact that he's a lockoutaphile.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:21 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
So much so we are locked out again, what a great job he has done!

Or maybe it is Fehr job now to tell the league how to run itself? The pro-owner argument is so convoluted who knows.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:32 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
So much so we are locked out again, what a great job he has done!

Or maybe it is Fehr job now to tell the league how to run itself? The pro-owner argument is so convoluted who knows.
You see you are completely missing it. When you want to convince people of what a great job he has done, you only mention the growth of the league as a whole. When you want to demonstrate how the players are bleeding the league dry, focus on the fate of the weak sisters.

Come to o think of it, taking credit for all assets but passing off all liabilities to someone else is a page from the NHL playbook. Don't look behind the curtain!

Old
01-02-2013, 09:55 PM
du5566*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
I didn't say Fehr was bad at his job but he stands for lockouts and getting every last cent for the players possible. Which is great for the players but horrible for the league. Donald Fehr says he cares about the leagues he works with but he doesn't. He cares about his beliefs and he believes the players deserve everything the get and more. Like I said I don't blame the players for hiring Fehr I was just disappointed in the decision. Everyone knew the stakes, everyone knew the leagues financial situation; the hiring of Fehr by the players said one thing "we don't care we want ours."

It was a selfish short sighted move. The owners have made a ton of mistakes and deserve a lot of the blame for this situation but two wrongs do not make a right.

Last edited by du5566*: 01-02-2013 at 10:01 PM.
du5566* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by du5566 View Post
It was a selfish short sighted move. The owners have made a ton of mistakes and deserve a lot of the blame for this situation but two wrongs do not make a right.
I'd need convincing that the ownership has really done anything wrong here. From what I can tell they bent over backward to try to find a way to get what they want and still have a season.

Heck the owners could easily have had this lockout in the 2011-2012 season instead of this one, if they'd really been itching for a fight. Instead they extended the CBA one year to try to iron something out and keep playing. And all they got for their trouble is having all their issues and needs ignored by the PA which refused to even negotiate until it was far too late, which is why I don't blame the owners one little bit for "dropping the gloves" this year.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote