HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why can't CDN fans rally around CDN teams in the Playoffs?

Old
01-02-2013, 06:59 PM
VanCanucks14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Everyone cheered against Vancouver because the 2010-2011 Canucks were a despicable bunch.

I don't get why I would have to cheer on a team that lacks integrity just because they play in Canada. Also once Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa went to the finals in three straight seasons the whole "Canadian team in the finals" lost some of it's luster.
at despicable. Hates good anyway. It means people care I see this thread is quickly becoming about the Canucks again. Who would've thought that?

VanCanucks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 07:15 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

If you can't answer the question without taking shots at fan bases then remove yourself from the thread. You really don't want us to do it for you.

01-02-2013, 07:21 PM
Shawnathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Tampa was more popular in Quebec.
I guess it all depends on location then.

Shawnathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 07:28 PM
KahunaBaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
I dont know how anyone could cheer for Burrows, Bieksa, Kesler, Lapierre and Luongo to win the cup.

I could cheer for any other team than Vancouver, they are the anti-class.
And i'm sure if they played for your team you would feel the exact same way...

Always fun to hear fans hate on the Canucks and what they would do if they ever won the cup. Oh the money i could make as a therapist.

As a Canuck fan i watched in horror in the 80's as the Oilers went on to win five cups and the Flames one. Funny thing...the world didn't end spiraling out of control. I some how survived. I'm sure if the Canucks won at least one cup the haters all across the country would somehow manage to get out of bed the next morning.

I would like to see all Canadian fans witness their home team win the cup at least once in their lifetime...but only once

KahunaBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Wanderson

vCash: 50
This is just strange. I don't understand your logic, at all.

If my team gets eliminated from the playoffs, than I don't start to support another team. Why should I do that? I still watch the games, but it doesn't matter who win.

Gloryhunters.

Wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 07:41 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrefinedCrude View Post
Being told we "should" cheer for the other teams is a huge deterrent as well. That was evident when Vancouver made its run. The bandwagoning by Canadian media was way over the top on their run. (Worse then the other teams' runs.) It helped make moderates into haters. (Most haters would have been haters anyway, but it made them much more vocal as well.)

NHL hockey is about clubs, not countries, making in nationalistic evokes the opposite response.
I remember when Ottawa made the Stanley Cup Finals in 2007 people were being asked on the streets of Toronto if they wanted Ottawa to win it for Canada. What I remember is they made it sound like we should cheer for them because if we didn't then we weren't being good Canadians. Anyway after seeing that I wanted them to lose even more then I originally did and was happy when Anaheim won.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Redscotter

In our House, we root for teams in this order

(1) Canadian Teams - Leafs, Oilers, Jets, Senators, Vancouver, Calgary

(2) O6 Teams - Leafs, Bruins, Red Wings, Blackhawks, Rangers

We do not cheer for the Montreal Canadiens at all. I have pulled for the Habs only twice in my life - the famous New Years' Eve game against the Red Army and the 1976 Stanley Cup Finals.

I am not anti-French or anti-Quebec at all, and used to pull for the Nordiques when they existed.

Why you ask ?

In my 49 years on this earth there has never been a Habs fans that showed any humility or respect for my Toronto Maple Leafs - even when I returned respect and admiration to their chosen club. To my mind, Habs Fans are the last generous and most venal hockey fans in Canada.

Redscotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 07:51 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman rules View Post
Including myself but i will support all canada's teams in the final except for the canucks and leafs,vancouver with to too much euro content and play like it and as for toronto being a disgrace to the country for almost 50 years.
Yeah don't get me started on how much huge Euro content crippled the Red Wings

as for the origional topic, why should people cheer for Canadian teams over US ones anyways?

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:01 PM
sabresfan129103

It's like saying why don't Pittsburgh fans cheer for Philly in the playoffs.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Hawkaholic

For me,

We would never hear the end of the CDN team being the Cup champions for 1.

For 2, I don't like any Canadian teams, and would only cheer for a Canadian team if they were playing a team I disliked more, which makes it impossible for me to cheer for VAN.

I also hate when people say "you should cheer for Canadian teams because you're Canadian"..or "bring the cup back to Canada".. It's in Canada every year.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:11 PM
cashman rules*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redscotter View Post
In our House, we root for teams in this order

(1) Canadian Teams - Leafs, Oilers, Jets, Senators, Vancouver, Calgary

(2) O6 Teams - Leafs, Bruins, Red Wings, Blackhawks, Rangers

We do not cheer for the Montreal Canadiens at all. I have pulled for the Habs only twice in my life - the famous New Years' Eve game against the Red Army and the 1976 Stanley Cup Finals.

I am not anti-French or anti-Quebec at all, and used to pull for the Nordiques when they existed.

Why you ask ?

In my 49 years on this earth there has never been a Habs fans that showed any humility or respect for my Toronto Maple Leafs - even when I returned respect and admiration to their chosen club. To my mind, Habs Fans are the last generous and most venal hockey fans in Canada.
I agree with your post 100% but alot of there passionate fans are good people and do show respect and they are a successful franchise since expansion and have won 8 or 9 cups to prove it where toronto has won none and thats coming from a bruins fan,there will always be bad apples.

cashman rules* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Caje

Most of the players on American teams are Canadian-born anyway. Who cares.

Caje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:16 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caje View Post
And many times the US team is more Canadian then the so called Canadian team. lol

I think one of the problem for Canadian fans cheering for Canadian teams is you are more likely to build a rivalry against another Canadian team then a US team so there will be alot of hoping that team fails from a good portion of the Canadian audience(it would be like expecting an Islanders fan to cheer for the Rangers just because they from New York)

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

This whole thread is a strawman since polls show that Canadians do generally want Canadian teams to win the Stanley Cup.

Example. http://www.harrisdecima.ca/fr/node/1354

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookeyPlayer View Post
Just dont get why Canadian fans don't like supporting the other teams in the country, while it seems they would rather cheer against them.

We saw this with Vancouver a few years ago. I suspect it would be the same with the Leafs if/when they make it, which is sad since Americans seem to not have any issues with the Leafs.

So whats the deal? Is the rivalry between Canadian teams too intense from all the divisional matches?
I don't get it, why should I support another team?

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayFrosy View Post
Oh come on.

It's time the Cup comes back to Canada. And it's a joke that it's been this long.
Every season Canadians "bring the Cup back."

Last year it was hoisted by:
Drew Doughty
Mike Richards
Justin Williams
Jeff Carter
Dustin Penner
Dwight King
Jarret Stoll
Willie Mitchell
Colin Fraser
Jordan Nolan
Brad Richardson
Simon Gagne
Kyle Clifford

I think that's good enough. Alas, you'll have to come to terms with the MVP being American. Two years in a row.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caje View Post
Looks like a largely media-driven thing to me, and by "media" I mean non-sports. Living in New England I didn't see them myself, but I heard plenty of reports of local Canadian news anchors urging their audiences to "root for Canada" in the 2011 playoffs. I wouldn't expect them to know that the Bruins had more Canadian players than the Canucks; they probably wouldn't be able to name more than a couple of players on either roster, if that.

There are plenty of reasons to root for another team when/if yours is eliminated from the playoffs - perhaps you're a fan of their farm team (there are 30 AHL cities in North America); perhaps you're a big fan of a player or two or three on their roster; perhaps you like their style of play. I can't see a "Canadian" team or an "American" team being a tangible reason.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
saskganesh

I think I have cheered for everyone and also cheered against them at different points in time.

Except Calgary. :JamieMacounCrosscheck:

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:40 PM
CanucksSayEh

I would cheer for the Jets, Sens and Habs. Maybe the Leafs too if they promised to not rub it in our faces too hard.

CanucksSayEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Silfverberg Snipes

vCash: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
I dont know how anyone could cheer for Burrows, Bieksa, Kesler, Lapierre and Luongo to win the cup.

I could cheer for any other team than Vancouver, they are the anti-class.
Oh come on, what has Bieksa done to merit such hate?

Silfverberg Snipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:55 PM
KahunaBaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Every season Canadians "bring the Cup back."

Last year it was hoisted by:
Drew Doughty
Mike Richards
Justin Williams
Jeff Carter
Dustin Penner
Dwight King
Jarret Stoll
Willie Mitchell
Colin Fraser
Jordan Nolan
Brad Richardson
Simon Gagne
Kyle Clifford

I think that's good enough. Alas, you'll have to come to terms with the MVP being American. Two years in a row.
Good point. So i guess Canada has never won the world series ever and never will until most of the players that play for the Jays are Canadian

KahunaBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:02 PM
LegnaRouy

I can see myself cheering for the Jets, Habs, or Sens. But no way I cheer for Flames, Canucks or Leafs. Ok I lied, I'll cheer for the Flames or Leafs if they are playing the Canucks.

LegnaRouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

The NHL is not a national league. Why would they rally? I sure as hell don't root for the other team from Pennsylvania if we are out of it. They are the last team I want to win something.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Choralone

vCash: 100
If my team is knocked out of the playoffs, who I choose to cheer for (or not cheer for) and for what reasons is my business alone. Nationality is far down the list of rooting interests for me.

Along those lines, I hate the jingoism in Olympic TV coverage. Though it has improved, it still has a cold war mentality to it. Athletes are reduced to faceless proxies for those "other" countries ("and Italy takes the bronze") instead of being recognized on their own merits. The "medal race" that pits countries against each other in some sort of dumb meta-competition is especially galling.

Choralone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
The NHL is not a national league. Why would they rally? I sure as hell don't root for the other team from Pennsylvania if we are out of it. They are the last team I want to win something.
What does the N in NHL stand for again? I am confused.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote