HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

If the NHL comes back, there has to be a big expansion.

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2013, 09:02 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
Have you seen the yotes and the stars ?
Did you not see where I posted that the Yotes WERE going to move? Or is this selective reading? There's nothing wrong with the Stars that a new owner is repairing. Dallas did just fine attendance wise before the last lockout.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:05 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Funny, but how profitable were the Bruins back in the '90s? How were their prospects when their franchise player was hoisting a cup with the Avalanche? How are they doing today?
So your argument is based on cherry picking the successes and ignoring the failures and you think that's compelling.

Could the jackets do way better, sure anything is possible. Is it likely that Columbus will mimic the wings or bruins or wicked stacked avalanche team,? Sorry, no.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:07 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Is it likely that Columbus will mimic the wings or bruins or wicked stacked avalanche team,? Sorry, no.
Please.....I need the numbers for this week's Mega-Millions and since you have a magic crystal ball that I don't have.....

Old
01-02-2013, 09:12 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Did you not see where I posted that the Yotes WERE going to move? Or is this selective reading? There's nothing wrong with the Stars that a new owner is repairing. Dallas did just fine attendance wise before the last lockout.
So what happened to the last 8 years ? I hear the Charleston was the most popular dance in the country.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:14 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
So what happened to the last 8 years ? I hear the Charleston was the most popular dance in the country.
The last 8 years? Under an owner who basically imploded financially? Here's a newsflash: That dude is gone and the Stars now have a new owner who's cleaning up the mess.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:17 PM
Mumbler*

Quote:
Hence why I'd LOVE to see the trap banned Hell, if baseball could lower the flippin' mound in the early '70s.....
You realize those two things are nothing like each other. One is the enviorment they play and the other is how they play? That would be like saying baseball couldn't have the second baseman inbetween 1st and 2nd. Good gravy man.

Old
sandysan

Quote:
Please.....I need the numbers for this week's Mega-Millions and since you have a magic crystal ball that I don't have.....
So teams can go worst to first and we will base it on what could happen ( which excludes nothing) as to what is likely to happen?

I won't hold you to it, but in your esteemed opinion you think that cbj is at the same level as the wings bruins and avalanche and are equally likely o turn it around.

Me I think their blue jackets win the super bowl, marry Taylor swift then invade Switzerland. If you are gonna dream, dream big.

Old
mercury

Quote:
Funny how the only people who seem to think Columbus is going anywhere are the usual suspects who have this bizarre pipedream about moving all the US franchises to "more deserving" locations (read: above the 49th parallel).....
I am American and don't have a pipe dream about anything, and I think that franchise might be better off somewhere else.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:19 PM
sandysan

Quote:
The last 8 years? Under an owner who basically imploded financially? Here's a newsflash: That dude is gone and the Stars now have a new owner who's cleaning up the mess.
Didn't Atlanta say something similar? How did that go?

Old
01-02-2013, 09:20 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbler View Post
You realize those two things are nothing like each other. One is the enviorment they play and the other is how they play? That would be like saying baseball couldn't have the second baseman inbetween 1st and 2nd. Good gravy man.
You used to be able to clothesline receivers in the NFL up until the late 1970s. Defenses use to base their pass defense on it (see Oakland). If that isn't changing the rules to alter how teams play I don't know what else is.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:23 PM
Mumbler*

Quote:
You used to be able to clothesline receivers in the NFL up until the late 1970s. Defenses use to base their pass defense on it (see Oakland). If that isn't changing the rules to alter how teams play I don't know what else is.
Guess we'll leave it as you don't know what is.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:23 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
So teams can go worst to first and we will base it on what could happen ( which excludes nothing) as to what is likely to happen?

I won't hold you to it, but in your esteemed opinion you think that cbj is at the same level as the wings bruins and avalanche and are equally likely o turn it around.

Me I think their blue jackets win the super bowl, marry Taylor swift then invade Switzerland. If you are gonna dream, dream big.
Apparently you missed out on how bad the Red Wings (then known as the "Ded Things") were in the '80s and how many empty seats they played to in those days. It's a hell of a lot easier to turn things around on the ice in this day and age then it was then.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

vCash: 50
Quote:

You never know.

In the last decade, the Penguins and Blackhawks were awful teams that put together strings of sub-500 seasons. Tampa Bay won the cup. The Anaheim Ducks won the cup.

You never know.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:25 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Guess we'll leave it as you don't know what is.
Apparently you don't: Rule changes to fundamentally change how teams play the game. Other sports do it all the time (as the NFL example shows). Why should the NHL be any different?

Old
01-02-2013, 09:26 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Didn't Atlanta say something similar? How did that go?
The Thrashers and the Stars situations aren't even remotely similar.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:30 PM
Mumbler*

Quote:
Apparently you don't: Rule changes to fundamentally change how teams play the game. Other sports do it all the time (as the NFL example shows). Why should the NHL be any different?
Again, that would be like saying you can throw elbows in hockey. It has nothing to do with how you position players. Can you please explain how, like not playing a second baseman in-between 1st and 2nd, it would be equivalent to saying you cannot position yourself in hockey? They cannot interfere already so I cannot see your pervious point.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:30 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Apparently you missed out on how bad the Red Wings (then known as the "Ded Things") were in the '80s and how many empty seats they played to in those days. It's a hell of a lot easier to turn things around on the ice in this day and age then it was then.
And you forget how good the wings were before that, how the rewarded the fans that they nurtured as an 06 team to get them through the bad times. Bad teams have the luxury of remembering the good times. In 20 years you won't have old men detailing their kids with stories of that magical timer we had back to back sellouts.

Yeah with more teams,and more parity imposed by the cap, its easier to turn it around. I don't know what I was thinking.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:33 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Your right, the thrashed were in a much better market, not the same at all.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:37 PM
GreenHornet

Quote:
Correct. Atlanta never got the chance to find anyone to clean up the mess that A$G created that Dallas will hopefully take advantage of.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:38 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Again, that would be like saying you can throw elbows in hockey. It has nothing to do with how you position players. Can you please explain how, like not playing a second baseman in-between 1st and 2nd, it would be equivalent to saying you cannot position yourself in hockey? They cannot interfere already so I cannot see your pervious point.
Well let's see, in the past five years the NFL has changed where you can line up on kickoffs. In the '80s they tinkered with the rules regarding men in motion (ie where they can lineup on offense) ect. ect.

The NBA has in the past 15 years changed the rules on what constitutes "illegal defense" (ie where the team on defense can move it's players to) as well as changing things like how wide the lane is (which determines 3 second violations ie where you can put a defensive player and how long he can stay there).

These are all things that don't require scouring over a rulebook to find.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:40 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
You never know.

In the last decade, the Penguins and Blackhawks were awful teams that put together strings of sub-500 seasons. Tampa Bay won the cup. The Anaheim Ducks won the cup.

You never know.
Your right you never know they could go belly up. Does anything the jackets have done on or off the ice lead anyone to believe that they are going to get substantially better?

Perhaps you are all better judges of talent then I am.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:42 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
And by the way, are you still upset the NHL legalized the forward pass back in the 1930s? Afterall, that did change where the offensive players could be postioned ie they were now allowed to advance ahead of the puck to receive the pass while previously they had to had to position themselves behind the puck carrier.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:42 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
Correct. Atlanta never got the chance to find anyone to clean up the mess that A$G created that Dallas will hopefully take advantage of.
It was not inability to find someone it was the inability to find somewhere, as in somewhere to play.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:43 PM
Mumbler*

Quote:
Well let's see, in the past five years the NFL has changed where you can line up on kickoffs. In the '80s they tinkered with the rules regarding men in motion (ie where they can lineup on offense) ect. ect.

The NBA has in the past 15 years changed the rules on what constitutes "illegal defense" (ie where the team on defense can move it's players to) as well as changing things like how wide the lane is (which determines 3 second violations ie where you can put a defensive player and how long he can stay there).

These are all things that don't require scouring over a rulebook to find.
Apples and oranges, though I will conceed illegal defense to a point, but we are talking about as things are "in play". Even in the NBA, players can be in the "illegal" spot... just not for over a certin period of time.

The football reference is before the play, not during.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:44 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Your right you never know they could go belly up. Does anything the jackets have done on or off the ice lead anyone to believe that they are going to get substantially better?

Perhaps you are all better judges of talent then I am.
In the '80s there was nothing to indicate the Red Wings were ever going to get substantially better. Nor was there anything to indicate the Oilers were ever going to get substantially worse until Pocklington started selling off his talent.

Closed Thread