HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v24: Rudy Gay/Hamed Haddadi for Ed Davis/Jose Calderon swap imminent

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Nick0930

vCash: 500
Ross was a boss tonight.

Old
thatshype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
I don't feel sorry for Bargs one bit, even on the bench he looks clueless. Not a fit on this team. I'll bet my house that once he comes back he goes back to his old routine of holding the ball too long, being hesitant trying to decide whether to drive or shoot. That and he gets destroyed defensively every game and can't rebound to save his life.
I sincerely hope he doesn't get the playing time to lose games for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23
If I am Colangelo if I can get a first round pick for Bargs I do it. He just doesn't fit on this team.
I think the only GM in the league that would trade a first for Bargnani currently works for MLSE...

Old
Brody
Lol

vCash: 50
Amazing game by Ross, 26 in 25 ouch.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:42 PM
Clark4Ever

Lovin' the youth movement on this team!

Old
01-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
I don't feel sorry for Bargs one bit, even on the bench he looks clueless. Not a fit on this team. I'll bet my house that once he comes back he goes back to his old routine of holding the ball too long, being hesitant trying to decide whether to drive or shoot. That and he gets destroyed defensively every game and can't rebound to save his life.
When he comes back, he doesn't deserve a starting spot. Bench minutes and then trade him for whatever you can get. There is no reason for him to get significant minutes on this team when we're playing so well.

01-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Kulemon

Why does DD get so much hate on RealGM? What is there to complain about with his play? That he isn't perfect?

Old
01-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Brody
Lol

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Why does DD get so much hate on RealGM? What is there to complain about with his play? That he isn't perfect?
No idea, if he improves on his range he'll be a very dangerous player.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:27 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Well, obviously lol. Problem is it takes two to tango.
But you there will be some team out there that will give up a first for Bargs because there is talent there. He might not be a defensive stalwart or anything like that, but, you know some team will think that he was just in the wrong environment in Toronto and that the chance will be taken.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:32 PM
Buckleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Real GM may also be the stupidest group of fans I've ever seen in my life (no offense to anyone who posts there, I'm sure there are some good posters).

Last edited by Buckleys: 01-02-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old
01-02-2013, 10:37 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleys View Post
Real GM may also be the stupidest people group of fans I've ever seen in my life (no offense to anyone who posts there, I'm sure there are some good posters).
I post there but sparingly, I mostly lurk. To many bi-polar fans (even for Toronto fans) to post often. It grates on my nerves. Also so many hockey haters there, it's hilarious. They get so ******** when TSN or Sportsnet talks about hockey.. But it is one hilarious message board to see all the great pics, gifs and signatures.

Great win tonight! Superb game by T-Boss-Coin Toss-Hot Sawce Ross he was on "fya" (Jack Armstrongs accent*) tonight. DRoz was money, Amir played a great game off the bench and our PG tandem was dishing up some servings of hot dime soup with a side of win.

Oh and Davis made me forget about Bustnani. Only 2 games behind 9th! Boston, Orlando lost and Philly is losing in Phoenix!

Old
01-02-2013, 11:04 PM
socratic

Man, I have to eat my words on Ross and Davis (Ross it's still early, but I never would have thought he'd play like this so soon).

Amazing to watch all this. Colangelo seems to be breathing a little easier now too.

Bargnani is going to be so hard to evaluate. The basic summary of this season is this:

1) Team has a brutal schedule, gets some bad calls, and can't play well under pressure or close out any games. Most of the offense tries to run through Bargnani (likewise, most of our opponents offenses also run through Bargnani). The team goes 4-19.

2) Bargnani goes down with Lowry. The schedule gets easier, the team plays like a team, changes it's style, and goes 8-1.

3) Now we're in the middle of our longest home stand, which Bargnani will miss. Lowry has succesfully re-integrated with the team. When Bargnani returns we're likely on the road again, and playing the likes of Brooklyn, Chicago, LA, and Miami. Regardless of what the team does, fans will not welcome Bargnani back with open arms, and every bad thing he does will be lit up under a microscope - undermining any confidence he develops.

The thing with Bargnani is that he can be a great offensive weapon. But it looks like this team is built to go in a different direction, and that Barg's skills would be better suited on team lacking offense that can build a half court system around him and a strong inside player (or use him for scoring off the bench).

But, like I said, it's just awesome watching these guys right now. World beaters.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:06 PM
thatshype

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
But you there will be some team out there that will give up a first for Bargs because there is talent there. He might not be a defensive stalwart or anything like that, but, you know some team will think that he was just in the wrong environment in Toronto and that the chance will be taken.
After the 09-10 season, I would agree. He was 24 years old then, and just set career highs in GP, MPG, PPG, RPG, FG%, and BPG. His RPG and BPG were still very very modest for a big-man, but he was starting to show signs of "breaking out" into stardom (or at least a serviceable starter). Since that year, he's been injury prone and decreased his RPG/BPG. Furthermore, his FG% has dropped steadily too.

At this point, Bargnani's potential "ceiling" has pretty much been reached: 20 PPG, 5 RPG, ~0.400 FG%. Those numbers aren't great for a $12M player, and the scoring rate isn't good enough considering his declining efficiency. Additionally, they'd be getting a player that is becoming increasingly injury prone.

I highly doubt there's a GM out there that wants Bargnani's contract on the books. If we amnestied him, I'm sure every team would offer him a contract....but I'm willing to bet that not many of those offers are going to be much more than $5M-6M.

I MIGHT be undervaluing him, but I honestly don't believe so.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:45 PM
Buckleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
I post there but sparingly, I mostly lurk. To many bi-polar fans (even for Toronto fans) to post often. It grates on my nerves. Also so many hockey haters there, it's hilarious. They get so ******** when TSN or Sportsnet talks about hockey.. But it is one hilarious message board to see all the great pics, gifs and signatures.

Great win tonight! Superb game by T-Boss-Coin Toss-Hot Sawce Ross he was on "fya" (Jack Armstrongs accent*) tonight. DRoz was money, Amir played a great game off the bench and our PG tandem was dishing up some servings of hot dime soup with a side of win.

Oh and Davis made me forget about Bustnani. Only 2 games behind 9th! Boston, Orlando lost and Philly is losing in Phoenix!

I also love how it HAS to be DeRozan OR Ross with so many of them, there is just no conceivable way they can both be on this team for some reason.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:51 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
I also love how it HAS to be DeRozan OR Ross with so many of them, there is just no conceivable way they can both be on this team for some reason.
This is bothering to me as well. We have two great young wings with complementary games. What's the problem?

Old
01-02-2013, 11:58 PM
Buckleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
This is bothering to me as well. We have two great young wings with complementary games. What's the problem?
And even better, they have great attitudes and actually want to be here. (Well, DeRozan does at least).

Old
01-03-2013, 12:06 AM
jays fan

Are young core of DeRozan Davis and Ross are playing like studs and Jonas looks solid too think the team will be a contender for 6th spot in a few years.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:45 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post

It is annoying seeing Sportsnet cut away from the play to do a stupid lockout update and miss a bucket. Or see TSN show a re-run of a WJC on TSN and push the Raptors game to TSN2. Or TSN show CURLING!!! ahead of a scheduled nba game for no reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jays fan View Post
Are young core of DeRozan Davis and Ross are playing like studs and Jonas looks solid too think the team will be a contender for 6th spot in a few years.
Don't think I've ever heard of teams aiming to contend for the 6th spot haha.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:06 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
And even better, they have great attitudes and actually want to be here. (Well, DeRozan does at least).
Yea, and Ross seems pretty happy and a great character guy from what I've seen and heard.

I look forward to a lineup of:

Lowry
Ross
DeRozan
Davis
Valanciunas

^Thats an athletic starting unit that can score, rebound, and defend.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:49 AM
thatshype

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Yea, and Ross seems pretty happy and a great character guy from what I've seen and heard.

I look forward to a lineup of:

Lowry
Ross
DeRozan
Davis
Valanciunas

^Thats an athletic starting unit that can score, rebound, and defend.
Then afterward we can have:

Lucas
Fields
Anderson
Kleiza
Gray

dominate the second unit.

Old
01-03-2013, 02:17 AM
socratic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
Then afterward we can have:

Lucas
Fields
Anderson
Kleiza
Gray

dominate the second unit.
Esay to have that optimism right now, but Fields and Anderson are really the only two that could belong on a "dominant" second unit.
And as great as they are both doing, Derozan and Ross could run into match up problems trying to be a 3 full time, but it could happen.

Also, what happened to Amir? Did you end up having to package him with Bargnani for a trade that didn't work out?

Cause really, you could have a starting 5 of:

Lowry
Ross
DeRozan
Davis
Valanciunas

Followed by a second unit of:

Calderon
Fields
Anderson
Amir
Bargnani

with Kleiza and Gray still to come...

Old
01-03-2013, 03:26 AM
thatshype

Quote:
Originally Posted by socratic View Post
Esay to have that optimism right now, but Fields and Anderson are really the only two that could belong on a "dominant" second unit.
And as great as they are both doing, Derozan and Ross could run into match up problems trying to be a 3 full time, but it could happen.

Also, what happened to Amir? Did you end up having to package him with Bargnani for a trade that didn't work out?

Cause really, you could have a starting 5 of:

Lowry
Ross
DeRozan
Davis
Valanciunas

Followed by a second unit of:

Calderon
Fields
Anderson
Amir
Bargnani

with Kleiza and Gray still to come...
I was being sarcastic, not optimistic.

Amir Johnson and Calderon are really the only guys that I like using on the bench. Anderson has some decent games, but only when his 3-pt shot is falling. Fields and Kleiza haven't done anything to earn their minutes other than being present. Lucas is just bad.

Last edited by thatshype: 01-03-2013 at 03:34 AM.
Old
01-03-2013, 10:41 AM
Swervin81
Kadri ❤ Komarov

We're only 2.5 games back of the playoffs. That's extremely doable at this point in the season. Just keep Bricknani the hell away from this team.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Right now the playoff race in the East is so tight.

Brooklyn is in #7, and with a coaching change coming up it could spark them to start pushing up.
Philly is in #8, and thats with out Bynum dominating the paint
Boston is in #9, and have been slumping but with Rondo/Garnet/Pierce you never know when they can turn it back up and push back into a playoff spot

We got past the easier targets but moving past Boston and staying ahead of them is going to be a battle.

Old
01-03-2013, 02:15 PM
SnipeCheeseAllDay

Lovin the youth movement

PG – Lowry
SG – Ross
SF - Derozan
PF – Davis
C – Valanciunas

PG - Calderon / J. Lucas III
SG - Anderson
SF – Fields / Kleiza
PF - A. Johnson
C - Gray

Old
01-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

We need to beat the Bucks and 76'ers on this homestand.

Closed Thread