HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why can't CDN fans rally around CDN teams in the Playoffs?

Old
01-02-2013, 09:23 PM
leeaf83

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
I also wonder aloud; is part of the reason some canadians do cheer so hard for other canadian teams is due to the drought- now 20 years since the last one hoisted. When a canadian team finally does win another cup, will other canadians be less likely to cheer for it to be brought back the next year?

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:41 PM
MakeTheGoalsLarger

most people i know in qc want canadian teams to go far in the playoffs...and they want teams with talented quebecers to go far too, ie: tampa bay.

by the way , i don't know anyone outside internet who hates the canucks although it seems to be a trend here to hate them.

MakeTheGoalsLarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheGoalsLarger View Post
most people i know in qc want canadian teams to go far in the playoffs...and they want teams with talented quebecers to go far too, ie: tampa bay.

by the way , i don't know anyone outside internet who hates the canucks although it seems to be a trend here to hate them.
It is weird, most of the people I know don't hate the Leafs, they hate the Leaf fans (not all just the ones that are fans to be fans and know nothing of hockey or their team. ie my ex brother in-law)
When it comes to the Canucks, people tend to hate the team. Not the fans.

In the latest THN they listed the public enemy #1 for each team. Your standard ones were there. The Canucks were represented 4 times.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:01 PM
billybobjoe1881

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheGoalsLarger View Post

You haven't been in British Columbia during the playoffs. As an Avs fan it's impossible to cheer for Edmonton, Calgary or Vancouver.

billybobjoe1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:05 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
I may have cheered for other Canadian teams at some point. But the Internet has destroyed that.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:06 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Why would I care about other Canadian teams? Its Leafs or bust.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:29 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Bandwagon a team just because they are Canadian just because I am Canadian?

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:30 PM
SensPromo
AKA "Inf4mous0ne"

I don't care who people cheer for, but the argument "most American teams have Canadians on it" just annoys me. After like 2 years, the average person (not including die-hard hf fans) doesn't remember who was on the team. All they know is who won the cup. So if you're going for the "Cheer Canadian" angle, cheering for the success of a Canadian team in a Canadian city is more important than who plays on it.

SensPromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 11:25 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

I used to be a happy guy that cheered for anyone and loved the game, but then I was introduced to the internet...

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 11:31 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookeyPlayer View Post
Just dont get why Canadian fans don't like supporting the other teams in the country, while it seems they would rather cheer against them.

We saw this with Vancouver a few years ago. I suspect it would be the same with the Leafs if/when they make it, which is sad since Americans seem to not have any issues with the Leafs.

So whats the deal? Is the rivalry between Canadian teams too intense from all the divisional matches?
Because the NHL isn't a Canada vs US sport. Canadians are the dominant nationality on all teams. And yes, if your rival teams are Canadian teams, I wouldn't see me ever rooting for the rival.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:04 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopALoop View Post

Only Canadian team I wouldn't cheer for is Toronto, for reasons that have been repeated many times already.

Oh and Edmonton. Nothing against the team or fans (city sure does suck though). But mainly because my boss is a die hard oilers fan and is living back in the 1980's. :

In reality, I think it's a sibling syndrome type of deal.

We all recognize ourselves as Canadian and we all love the sport of Hockey. But at the same time, nothing says rubbing it into your siblings faces like being able to boast about winning the holy grail of hockey.
That was really necessary for you to toss in there. On behalf of the nearly one million people who live in this city, thanks for that shot. Just curious, how many times have you visited Edmonton?

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:05 AM
Karter

Vancouver and Winnipeg I can get behind.

Everyone else can go to hell.

Last edited by Karter: 01-03-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Karter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 02:09 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookeyPlayer View Post
Just dont get why Canadian fans don't like supporting the other teams in the country, while it seems they would rather cheer against them.

We saw this with Vancouver a few years ago. I suspect it would be the same with the Leafs if/when they make it, which is sad since Americans seem to not have any issues with the Leafs.

So whats the deal? Is the rivalry between Canadian teams too intense from all the divisional matches?
I would cheer for a team of Nazi Child molesters over any other team in Canada in the playoffs. There is no reason to care about other club teams because they are Canadian.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 02:11 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
What does the N in NHL stand for again? I am confused.
Currently it stands for "No".

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 02:13 AM
Zombotron
WD-57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karter View Post
Vancouver and Winnipeg I can get behind.

Everyone else can go to hell.
Quebecois - Cascadian bromance.

It comes down to storylines, play style and team personalities. I can cheer for a team lead by PK Subban and Carey Price because they're two of my favourite characters. I can cheer for an '06 Oilers or '94 Canucks because they're a gritty underdog. I could even cheer for the Flames if it were, say, Jarome Iginla's last chance at the Stanley Cup.

I didn't cheer for Ottawa in 2007 because I didn't find them interesting enough.

Last edited by Zombotron: 01-03-2013 at 02:20 AM.
Zombotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 02:38 AM
Hammer Time

vCash: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
I think it depends on the team. The only Canadian team I cheer against is Toronto (Habs fan), it's just too much of a rivalry to cheer for them. I cheer for every other Canadian team in the playoffs, the Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver cup runs come to mind.

The other thing is a lot of Canadian fans are borderline Don Cherry xenophobes about hockey, people got behind Boston for being good ol' tough Canadian boys (despite their best players that year being an American and a Slovak), and were against the Canucks because of the Sedins.
Usually whenever "most hated" threads come out it's the Québécois, rather than Swedish, players on the Canucks that people have issues with. Mind you, French-Canadian is no better than European in Cherry's hierarchy, and Burrows in particular really feeds into his stereotype of French-Canadians as people who are willing to be annoying but are unwilling to fight when the other team challenges him.

Mind you, people in Alberta normally cheer against the Canucks, and a lot of people in the Maritimes normally support, or at least symphathize with, the Bruins. I don't think the Canucks would have gotten much more support even if they were a more disciplined team.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:02 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

I see no reason to cheer for Canadian teams just because they're Canadian.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:15 AM
Frank Garrett

I've 'cheered' for Tampa Bay, Carolina, Montreal, and Vancouver, during the finals in the past 20 years.

Frank Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:43 AM
ejams

I used to cheer for Calgary. Then I saw how their fans acted during the 2006 Oiler run..

Only other Canadian teams I would cheer for are Ottawa and Winnipeg.

EDIT: I cheer for Iginla. He is my favourite player for sure. Great character and great player.

ejams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:57 AM
Bougieman

I do tend to cheer for other Canadian teams that make it far in the playoffs, once the Canucks are out.

I see a lot of people here stating that they can't see any reason to do that, so allow me to explain: The main reason I do it is a sense of identification with other hockey fans, regardless if they, as a fanbase, like the Canucks or not. Hell, nearly everyone hates the Canucks, so WHATEVER. We're "villains". Every story needs a villain.

I know what it means to a Canadian city to win a Stanley cup. I know how engrained that is, where even non-hockey fans get swept up into it, and the whole city goes nuts. Frankly, it's a beautiful thing. I lived in Calgary in 1989, I was here in Vancouver in 2010... so I know EXACTLY what that means. How powerful it is, and how it brings the whole city together. I love to see that for other fans... and I hope that I get to experience it one day in my lifetime as well.

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:00 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Few simple rules to explain this.

1) No one cheers for TOR/VAN
2) Everyone cheers for WPG
3) Everyone except TOR fans cheer for OTT
4) Everyone except TOR fans cheer for MTL
5) Everyone except EDM/CGY + VAN fans cheers for CGY/EDM

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:21 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
the teams are not national. there is no USA vs Canada in the NHL. There are 30 teams.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:28 AM
RANDOMH3RO

I've cheered for every Canadian team on a cup run since I've started watching hockey, except for Vancouver in 2011. I feel that many other people I know feel the same way. That Canucks team was well hated.

RANDOMH3RO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:43 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

As a Maple Leafs fan, I have never understood the hatred so many Canadians seem to have for all other Canadian teams.

I hate the teams in my division (namely Montreal and Ottawa) and root for their demise, but seeing as Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg (sort of) have no real effect on my team's standing, I will (and do) gladly cheer them on in the playoffs.

There was no question in my mind who I was supporting when Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver made the Final (Vancouver did test this pattern though).

Though it isn't exclusively a Canada v. USA thing. I just root for whichever fanbase I think wants it more/which city will make a bigger deal out of it. It just so happens that the farther north you go, the more appreciative the general population is of the game of hockey.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:45 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
If you think that the N in NHL is meant for us to prefer teams from our country then there's a problem...

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote