HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

WBS Penguins Hockey PART II

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Sivek

vCash: 500
Most worrisome aspect I've seen with WBS is how careless Despres is with the puck. I'd think this being his 2nd pro season and after getting a taste of the NHL that he would be a lot tighter in this area, and it's not like he's mishandling the puck in attempts to create plays on offense but just generally spazing out with the puck in normal situations. You'd like to to see a guy in his situation take advantage of the lockout and use these big minutes he's getting to refine his game. This kind of play is what worries me about placing him in an important spot on this team if there is a season this year. If he plays 3rd-pairing minutes, okay, that could work but I think he would be exposed in a greater role unless he tightens things up a bit.

Offense is just so bad it's not worth talking about. At least Megna's back and he's looked good in between injuries. We've all know about the lack of forward talent but what really kills the offense is a lack of a good offensive d-man. Guys like Bortuzzo, Strait, Samuelsson just don't give any offense at all and that's half the of regularly playing d right there. Dumoulin and Despres are decent puck-movers but Despres is all over the place with the puck. Morrow brings that element but he's been hands-down the worst d-man in any measure of defensive play. Grant could be that guy but it looks like they're going to go with him at forward for a while. Right now, Reese is probably the best of a bad lot.

Last edited by Sivek: 12-28-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old
12-28-2012, 03:27 PM
Wes C Addle
Mookie Blaylock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
It's no coincidence that Tangradi hasn't done $hit since Bennett has been out.
I'd say that started even before Beau got hurt. I'm not a Tangradi hater by any stretch, but 1 goal in his last 15 games? Sheesh.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Will Hunting

I was criticising Tangradi like 10 games ago and he didnīt score since then. He has what?? Like 1 goal in last 16 games in AHL? Really? 0.50 PPG in AHL while playing under-average defense at best? Yes, WBS isnīt helping him, but if he wants to play for the Big Pens he has to find the way, like Bennett did. Otherwise, no thanks Big Dog... Heīs an AHL player and will be an AHL player forever. I donīt want to see him in Pittsburgh, just NO!! He was better two years ago than he is now. Heīs one of the better forwards in WBS but that means nothing, because they are all terrible, Smith, Ferriero, etc etc...

Itīs really painful to watch them, Despres is letting me down with chaotic play, Morrow is letting me down with how inmature he is, I already completely donīt care about Tangradi. Beau Bennett (who is really fun to watch when healthy) is injured and nobody knows whatīs with him. They are just not worth watching

Hopefully season starts this year and we can just watch the Big Pens. They should only take healthy Bennett from that boring **** AHL team and hoping for no more injuries in Pittsburgh. Dumoulin is solid, thatīs only remaining positive thing there. I see Despres as completely expendable and Joe Morrow really needs some special treatment for defensive play. Otherwise his talent will be for nothing.

Yes, and if there is a season, Gonchar would definitely help us. Guys from WBS like Despres/Strait/Bortuzzo arenīt going to win us a cup, absolutely not.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:51 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
true but guys like Smith and Ferriero should be putting up good numbers at the AHL level, Smith especially.
These guys don't have much creativity to their game, though. You need a couple straws to stir the drink, and we simply don't have that element outside of Bennett. They're trying to build an offense out of nothing but minor league Kunitzes and Dupuises. Complementary types that currently have nothing to complement.

Smith could put up some numbers in Norfolk, but they had some genuinely talented players on that team. Not the case here.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Jacob

Not sure why some are surprised at all by defenseman looking shaky in the AHL.

That's not to excuse Morrow's -9 or whatever or the team's overall inability to win or defend, but the style of play in the AHL just doesn't make defensemen look particularly strong, ever.

In regards to Despres in particular, either on his own accord or by the coaching staff's suggestion he seems to be playing generally more aggressive in all facets. That's good for his development, but might not result in a great product on the ice until he works out the kinks. People are like "it's his 2nd pro season!!" Exactly. It's *only* his 2nd pro season.

The baby Pens just need to find ways to score goals... if that happens, the unavoidable defensive lapses won't be as magnified and the wins will start coming.

Last edited by Jacob: 12-28-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old
12-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Stecz

The sky is not falling. Morrow is struggling, but he's trying to learn a new system in a league where he is no longer one of the oldest and strongest. Despres is still young and is going to try to force things when there's no offence on the team as it is. Tangradi is not dynamic offensively, he can't make his own offence and it is a little bit disappointing how little he is currently influencing the game, but it's not the end of the line for him as an NHL player (and I'm not that high on Tangradi). Put him with some AHL veterans actually earning their wage and he'll be a lot better.

It's not good by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not all doom and gloom. The issue in WBS lies primarily with the failures of the AHL vets brought in to provide offence and leadership. They haven't done a whole lot of either.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:33 PM
JTG

I've said before, but the AHL fodder brought in this season is lacking big time. It's crucial for the development of young guys to ice a successful team in the AHL, and the supporting AHL vets are just not holding their weight, IMO.

Old
12-29-2012, 06:12 PM
Epic Neal Time

Any streams for tonight's game? PM me if you have one, if possible. I'm hockey starved.

Old
12-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Wes C Addle
Mookie Blaylock

Didn't see any of the game, but Pens lose again, 3-2 in OT.

Megna and Gibbons with the markers.

Pretty tough year up in the Electric City

Old
12-30-2012, 04:51 AM
deakka

I watxhed the game. It was pretty bad. The only bright spots were Megna, he might be a great FA signing if he keeps this up.

And i also may need to consider Samuelsson a prospect again He played really solid defense, and hes been doing it all the game ive seen so far this year.

But as so many times before, the rookies cant take the team on its back. Guys like Dupuis, Ferrerio and Smith need to step it up, they were all bad with Ferrerio taking a lazy penalty in the OT as well.

Old
12-31-2012, 05:36 PM
deakka

Watching the game now. Tangradi are so bad, sooo bad. He had a hot start but hasnt scored in like 15 games? I dont care about scoring either, but he looks lost out ther, not providing anything exept turnovers.

Morrow looking ok offensively, but have had some bad defensive playes so far.

Bennett and Megna are by far the best players for the pens

Old
01-01-2013, 05:42 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Fear the smegma.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

I knew what it was, just didn't want to acknowledge what CV said.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Stecz

Old
01-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Jacob

I don't know what smegma is and I also have no brain stem.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Am I the only one who remembers the joke from earlier in the summer where we had a good laugh at the unfortunate play on this kid's name? Everyone knows what smegma is and that is it f-ing nasty and no further discussion of people's "101 things to do with smegma" is necessary.

Back to WBS hockey, then. Jesus. I am never using that nickname again.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:21 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Fear the smegma.
It ain't that bad once you get past the smell. LOL

Good idea ChiChi, that nickname was a bad idea.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:23 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Anybody getting worried about Tangradi given how snake bitten he's been and the fact that he doesn't generate much on the ice since his drought started?

Old
01-02-2013, 10:49 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Anybody getting worried about Tangradi given how snake bitten he's been and the fact that he doesn't generate much on the ice since his drought started?
Don't want to put too much emphasis on stats, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't expect better than .5 PPG in the AHL from Tango this year. Complementary player or not, you'd like a potential scoring line prospect knocking on the NHL door to translate his size and experience into better production than that.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:08 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

He's a third liner with decent hands for me at this point, IMO. He just hasn't shown top line potential yet.

I'm more looking forward to BB, kuhn, and even hanowski for future scoring line wings.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:03 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Am I the only one who remembers the joke from earlier in the summer where we had a good laugh at the unfortunate play on this kid's name? Everyone knows what smegma is and that is it f-ing nasty and no further discussion of people's "101 things to do with smegma" is necessary.

Back to WBS hockey, then. Jesus. I am never using that nickname again.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:49 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Outtakes FTW.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:37 AM
bigd

Reese was a healthy scratch the past two games. Is that an indication that they aren't happy with his game or just the fact that they are trying to get the youngsters more playing time. You would think with the losing streak they are on that they would try to put the best players on the ice every night.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Jacob

Both.

Old
01-04-2013, 06:23 PM
deakka

Wow, what a snipe by Bennett!

Closed Thread