HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Taylor Hall - The most under appreciated player on HF

Old
01-02-2013, 05:15 PM
oilphan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
Really?
The only laughing going on was me looking at your other posts after seeing this response. Career troll alert!

oilphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Cerebral

Hall is only being underrated by many because he has struggled to stay healthy. His numbers last season pro-rated to 82 games were 36 goals, 35 assists, 71 points. That would have put him tied for 10th in goals and 20th in points. Amongst left wingers, that would have been 5th in goals and 4th in points and the kid is only 21 years old!

Hall obviously needs to prove to everyone he can stay healthy across a season but having a player with his raw talent at left wing is incredible. Heck, the highest scoring left winger last year was Kovalchuk at 83 points - is there any real question Hall can beat that if he stays healthy? Add in the intangibles he provides and he's obviously an incredibly valuable player.

01-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by IV XIV XCI View Post
It's probably better that other team's fans underestimate him.

Who cares what they think. It makes them feel better about themselves to talk trash about our stars.

Until we make the playoffs we have to keep our mouths shut.
Some solid wisdom right there!

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:46 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

While I agree that he is under appreciated on HF I have to say I don't even think he's the most under appreciated Oiler on HF. Ales Hemsky gets that title.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
I don't really like the idea of giving out the C until Hall, or someone else proves their leadership for at least the better part of a season. Ideally we get rid of Horcoff, name Ryan Smyth captain, as we should have years ago.
LOL - as talked about before, other than Horcoff, I can't imagine a worse choice for captain than Smyth.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:21 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
LOL - as talked about before, other than Horcoff, I can't imagine a worse choice for captain than Smyth.
Ben Eager?
Belanger?

Dubnyk? (lol Vancouver)

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
I personally disagree. Horc needs to go and I don't see a problem with Smyth wearing the C for a season until the next captain emerges. He's still got heart and can produce as long as he doesn't get too much ice time and burns out again. Renney didn't use him wisely in my opinion.

If Horcoff is gone, and we decide not to name a kid captain prematurely, I think Smyth is the best option we've got.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
completely agree. the kids is a beast. my favourite oiler

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:50 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Once the team actually goes somewhere the fans will start taking him seriously.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 07:02 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Once the team actually goes somewhere the fans will start taking him seriously.
Exactly. Look at some of the posts about RNH in the "Most Disappointing Player" thread in the World Junior Championship forum.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
I personally disagree. Horc needs to go and I don't see a problem with Smyth wearing the C for a season until the next captain emerges. He's still got heart and can produce as long as he doesn't get too much ice time and burns out again. Renney didn't use him wisely in my opinion.

If Horcoff is gone, and we decide not to name a kid captain prematurely, I think Smyth is the best option we've got.
He showed last year he could produce in spurts and then burned out - but his performance is not the issue (not is it my issue with Horcoff as captain - well not all of it anyway). Ryan Smyth has to be in the discussion for the least articulate NHLer of all time. It is impossible for the guy to speak using anything other than cliches.

As for the concerns about "crushing pressure" on Hall - he's a strong kid. As driven and determined as guys like Crosby and Toews if not more. He's a very intelligent and articulate guy, and very passionate - and he has the skill to back it up. I see Messier-lite in there.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:18 PM
Defsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchslap View Post
The poll on the main board ranking Tavares, Landeskog, RNH, and Hall showed a lot of stupidity on this forum. Plenty of people seem to think Hall is significantly worse than the rest of the young talent coming into the league. Most people seem to think Hall is clearly the worst of those 4, and it really doesn't make sense. Tons of post had them ranked as such:

Tavares
RNH
Landeskog

Hall

The guy is a driving force on the ice and creates a ton of space with his determined forecheck and speed. He's put up very good numbers since being drafted as well. The thing is, people who don't watch him much see a player with an ugly skating stride and ugly hands, but don't actually get to see how effective a player Hall is. He looks like he's handling a cinder block but he actually has very good puck control and can cycle the puck really well.

The injuries don't help his case either, but those are blown out of proportion by hfboards. Without the couple fluky injuries he's had I think we'd hear a lot less about how injury prone he is. He will eventually get the recognition he deserves, so let everyone else underestimate him.
This, if Oilers would have drafted player based on potential, they would have drafted Sequin. But they wanted a "new" Messier and that's why they drafted Hall. He didn't won two Stafford's for nothing, he won those because he deserved those. And if you watched Oilers games last season you could see that allways when Hall was at the rink, Ebs and RNH had lot more room to play (sorry my bad english). But the point is , if you compare to other players would you rather draft Sakic or maybe Messier?

Defsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:46 PM
UnrefinedCrude

Quote:
Same, and I'll add never give the C to a guy who left the team over a small amount of money in a contract dispute. Sure Lowe deserves heat for letting him go over a small amount, but that goes both ways. It wasn't a big amount, it was small. that makes the tears the crocodile variety. I say this as a guy who owns a new Smyth jersey.

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:50 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Hall is only being underrated by many because he has struggled to stay healthy. His numbers last season pro-rated to 82 games were 36 goals, 35 assists, 71 points. That would have put him tied for 10th in goals and 20th in points. Amongst left wingers, that would have been 5th in goals and 4th in points and the kid is only 21 years old!

Hall obviously needs to prove to everyone he can stay healthy across a season but having a player with his raw talent at left wing is incredible. Heck, the highest scoring left winger last year was Kovalchuk at 83 points - is there any real question Hall can beat that if he stays healthy? Add in the intangibles he provides and he's obviously an incredibly valuable player.
Completely agree. If you pro rate his stats the last two years to 82 games he looks like a complete stud. However, he has to prove he can stay healthy.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:53 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Oh? Please explain why Captain Canada would be such a terrible choice

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:59 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Oh? Please explain why Captain Canada would be such a terrible choice
If we buy out horc I would probably be in the minority that thinks Smyth would be a great Captian. He has shown he clearly does bleed copper and blue, that is the only reason he is back here. He will only be around for 2-3 more years, give him the C. When he retires give it to Hall/Ebs/Nuge or whoever else looks like they deserve it.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

The fact that Smyth was immediately named the captain at the Spengler Cup should speak volumes. He commands respect and is well liked.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Soundwave

I don't think he's under-appreciated, he just needs to get a 72+ game season under his belt.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 11:28 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
If we buy out horc I would probably be in the minority that thinks Smyth would be a great Captian. He has shown he clearly does bleed copper and blue, that is the only reason he is back here. He will only be around for 2-3 more years, give him the C. When he retires give it to Hall/Ebs/Nuge or whoever else looks like they deserve it.
I'm on your side. Smyth, Smid, Nick Schultz and Ales Hemsky get the nod before Hall, in my eyes right now.

Why? He's not mature enough. Look at his twitter comments. Smyth and Smid (Eberle even) aren't making those comments. Besides, let's not put the added pressure on Hall to perform. Smyth for 2 years, then give it to Hall. Let him learn the ropes from an actual leader.

Gretzky wasn't given the captaincy in his first, second, or third season as an Oiler. That's Gretzky. This is Hall.

That being said, he's wildly underappreciated on this forum.

nofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:07 AM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hallidays View Post
Hey all, like the rest of us Oiler faithful I have been extremely pleased with the play of all our young talent this season. I mean what's not to like with the likes of Schultz, RNH, Eberle, Hartikainen, Dubnyk, and the prospects Yakupov and Klefbom playing so well.

However I think one person has stood out especially over the last month, that player to me is Taylor Hall.

He is top 5 in AHL scoring after missing the entire first month of hockey and prior to that missing the end of the Oilers season as well. Not only has he shaken off all the rust but he has recovered extremely well from his shoulder surgery. (something i think we were all nervous for) over the last few games some of the media has claimed Taylor Hall has never been better, I'll take that not even 1/2 a season post shoulder surgery.

I know every fan on this board (other than a select few) see on a nightly basis what Hall brings to our team and the leadership and example he offers. It pains me to see fans of other teams consistently rate Hall as a 2nd tier first overall pick, and a lesser player than many that he doesn't deserve to be ranked behind. I know in the end it doesn't matter what other fans think, all I want is a little bit of appreciation for the future captain, and driving force behind this team.

Does anyone agree? Have you seen the hate for Hall? Why is he so hated? What do you think it will take for Hall to overcome this label?
I find him perfected rated, it's because you guys over rate him so much that he seems underrated to you.

So he's last on the mainboards in a poll of "potential" against Tavares, RNH and Landeskog. RNH and Tavares are no brainers ahead of Hall potential wise, would you disagree?
There are some strong points for landeskog, however a lot of people have Hall ahead of him in their rankings too.

Ok, so most people can't see EVERYTHING he brings, are you really blaming other fans because of they can't watch every single Oilers game? I'd say right now on the mainboards, thanks to the many Oiler fans who've posted their, know about Hall's intangibles atm. Not to mention he's probably near the top on EVERYBODYS list of upcoming young stars/breakout players.

Again on the mainboards, Taylor Hall voted the 11th best left winger in the game atm, which I find a completely fair rating for considering his current play and inability to stay healthy his first 2 years. Maybe could go 1 or 2 spots higher but I wouldn't consider him being underappreciated unless he was 5 spots out of place, which he isn't.

I disagree in that I don't see as much "hate" for Hall as I see overrating, which is then countered by people bashing him for his consistant injuries. His pro-rated ppg was nice last season, but really isn't the same unless he actually does it through a full season.

I said it last year and I still stand by that I think Eberle is the better of the two currently. Eberle's getting much more consistant and polished at such a fast rate, not to mention the insane amount of scoring chances he creates night in and out.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 01:17 AM
Mr Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Exactly. Look at some of the posts about RNH in the "Most Disappointing Player" thread in the World Junior Championship forum.
Those posts are horrific.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:20 AM
Mr Forever

Honestly the importance of the C on the jersey is so overrated. Every player on the team knows who the leader is and everyone follows him regardless of whether or not he has a letter glued to his chest. The captain goes to a guy who's good at dealing with media, community and the fans and is well behaved.

Old
01-03-2013, 02:50 AM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Those posts are horrific.
Doesn't help that half those posts came from bitter russian fans.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:03 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
I think nucks fans would say it is Keith Ballard

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:20 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
The fact that Smyth was immediately named the captain at the Spengler Cup should speak volumes. He commands respect and is well liked.
Exactly, even over a guy like Bergeron.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote