HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2001 Draft Review

Old
06-07-2006, 09:38 AM
ZombieMatt

vCash: 500
2001 Draft Review

http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php...readed&order=0

ZombieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2006, 09:50 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Thanks for the article. It's nice to see the Preds getting some press around HF, even if it's a normal 5 year draft review.

I made some comments on it in the media thread. What I'd like to see is HF's writers consult the fans a little bit with regards to some of these players. While a little outside research can divulge a lot of good info on rather obscure prospects, tossing a few questions out to the fanbase can open up several more doors. You don't have to necessarily use what's said by the fans as we are all homers here, but new insight on certain prospects can be gained because, let's face it, the group here knows more about the average Predator prospect than almost anyone not associated with the organization itself.

It's unfair to expect a writer to be intimately knowledgeable about a team he rarely covers. A few well-placed questions to the fanbase about two weeks ago could have avoided some hiccups such as Setzinger being considered a bust while Platonov is not (they probably should both either be bust or prospect), Lehtonen being a bust (a late rounder who is coming over to the NHL to win a roster spot should not be a bust just yet), and Tootoo likely to never be anything more than a 4th liner (Evidence suggest that the organization thinks he's more than capable of playing a 3rd line role, and at least one "in-the-know" person thinks he's got what it takes to be a second liner).

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2006, 11:50 AM
ZombieMatt

I agree that there are certain benefits to having more avid followers involved in the process. However, there are also certain benefits in taking an unbiased look as well. The Lehtonen thing is just an unfortunate series of events. This article was actually written a few weeks ago in preparation for this round of articles, before he inked a contract and before there was really much indication of him coming over.

We will have to disagree on Tootoo, although you certainly may ultimately be right.

Old
06-07-2006, 12:02 PM
AdmiralPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt MacInnis
We will have to disagree on Tootoo, although you certainly may ultimately be right.
Watching him play and paying attention to the message board, I'd say the only thin keeping Tootoo from not having been a regular NHLer during the second half of the season was not Tootoo himself, but the Pred's wing situation. His game is very much improved since he first came to Milwaukee.

AdmiralPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2006, 12:39 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
I agree that there are certain benefits to having more avid followers involved in the process. However, there are also certain benefits in taking an unbiased look as well. The Lehtonen thing is just an unfortunate series of events. This article was actually written a few weeks ago in preparation for this round of articles, before he inked a contract and before there was really much indication of him coming over.

I understand that you don't want unbiased information, but at the same time, we know more ' relatively unbiased information' than the average fan/writer. We can provide newspaper articles and quotes from the team regarding certain player's futures.

And the reference to Tootoo might be your opinion, but the views of the organization should be taken into consideration before the statement "likely to never be more than a 4th liner" is written. This is not just Matt MacInnis' Opinion on the Predators. It is a brief look at the development of 2001 Predators draft picks that uses as much fact as opinion. And stepping outside your opinion can be very beneficial. It could lead to a more justifiable and defendable statement such as "though many in the hockey community feel he has limited upside, the Predators' organization feels that he has 3rd line potential."

This is nitpicky, but I think that if it is done right, it can lead to more insightful and well-rounded articles throughout HF.

Old
06-07-2006, 01:03 PM
ZombieMatt

Jordin Tootoo is an exciting player, a personal favourite of mine, but he has significant hurdles he needs to overcome. Despite possessing a solid shot, he has scored less than ten goals over more than 100 NHL games. His offensive constribution has been limited to date and his puck skills are equally limited. Tootoo, at this point in his career, has demonstrated little that suggests he is much more, in terms of offensive role, than a guy like Jarkko Ruutu.

Old
06-07-2006, 01:34 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Jordin Tootoo is an exciting player, a personal favourite of mine, but he has significant hurdles he needs to overcome. Despite possessing a solid shot, he has scored less than ten goals over more than 100 NHL games. His offensive constribution has been limited to date and his puck skills are equally limited. Tootoo, at this point in his career, has demonstrated little that suggests he is much more, in terms of offensive role, than a guy like Jarkko Ruutu.
No, no, no, my argument was not that you are wrong with regards to Tootoo. It was that the article could have benefitted from a more well-rounded look. There's a solid chance that he'll never be more than a 4th liner as that's all the ice time the Preds have been willing to give him to date. But the point was that there is significant and legitimate sources that don't share your view. The article presents the information on Tootoo as if it was more than one man's opinion. I think it, and the writeups of countless other players, would be better served if other valid sources were used in addition to the opinion of the writer.

With regards to Tootoo (and this is stepping outside of my argument with the article), I think he's shown that he can be better than Ruutu offensively. He played 32% of the total minutes that Ruutu played, yet he had 60% of his production. And Ruutu had over 9 times as much power play time as Jordin. Despite this, Jordin's prorated numbers suggest that he would have scored almost 25 points. While he may not have kept up that pace, I think it's safe to assume that he would have at least matched Ruutu's career high for points in a season. And considering that he only recently turned 23 and is considered quite raw, I'd say that's a pretty strong suggestion that he is already, in terms of an offensive role, as good if not better than Ruutu.

Old
06-08-2006, 01:10 AM
Fan.At
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to Fan.At Send a message via MSN to Fan.At
Quote:
Only 23 years old this summer, Setzinger is technically still young, but bouncing back and forth between Finland and Austria is troublesome.
This is rather common among good european players coming from not so big hockey countries. They very often go back to their home country after their season in one of the bigger european leagues is finished, to play for their home town team in the playoffs and earn some more money. Thats what Setzinger did two times, with Linz and Vienna. Last season he played full-time in Vienna though.

Fan.At is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 01:55 AM
Jamina

Quote:
Mikko Lehtonen, D – 9th round, 271st overall (Sweden – Mora)
NHL Games Played: 0
Mikko Lehtonen has nothing to do with Sweden or Mora. He's always played in Kärpät, in Finland.

Jamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 09:56 PM
dulzhok

Still to early to say that only 2 players will crack the NHL.

Shishkanov will likely get a good shot with the Blues next year, though I don't think he'll stick as a scoringline player.

Setzinger is talented enough to make the NHL. He appears to only want to come to NA on a one-way contract. Eventaully, I think a team will give him a shot, assuming he continues to improve in Europe.

Lehtonen will get his shot this year.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote