HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

2013 World Junior Championships Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-02-2013, 09:57 AM
  #101
MiGician
Registered User
 
MiGician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 378
vCash: 500
Granlund 1+3 against Germany and has 5+4 in the whole tournament

MiGician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:40 PM
  #102
tyflames
Baertschi is God
 
tyflames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 335
I could be wrong but I believe I read this morning that Gaudreau and Granlund are in like top 10 in scoring in the tournament, nice to see.


Last edited by tyflames: 01-02-2013 at 04:35 PM.
tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:59 PM
  #103
Flames92
Registered User
 
Flames92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,190
vCash: 500
Theres 3 players tied for 5 goals and Granlund and Gaudreau are 2 of those 3 as well as Granlund being 2nd overall in scoring behind nugent-hopkins.

Its nice to see Gaudreau finally get some goals after a few unlucky attempts in the previous games. This has to do tons for his confidence going into tommorow, although I am still gona be cheering for Wotherspoon and the Canadians.

This tournament is starting to get real exciting not just for hockey fans but also flames fans!

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:29 PM
  #104
Backlund
Registered User
 
Backlund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,747
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames92 View Post
Its nice to see Gaudreau finally get some goals after a few unlucky attempts in the previous games. This has to do tons for his confidence going into tommorow, although I am still gona be cheering for Wotherspoon and the Canadians.
Same but I wouldn't mind seeing him score 1 or 2 if we still win.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 02:29 PM
  #105
MVW
Moderator
 
MVW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,019
vCash: 50
There's way more to hockey than just stats, but no one can say that Granlund hasn't been effective in this tournament. He's shown that he can score and that he has skill. I do believe there is something there and he has good potential.

Great to see JG break out in a big way! I'll be pulling for Canada, but I hope he has a huge game and he's known to on the biggest of stages.

Its quite refreshing to see our prospects in the headlines, Wotherspoon has also played great. I'm super pumped for the game.

MVW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 03:46 PM
  #106
TherapyforGlencross
Regular HFer
 
TherapyforGlencross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,611
vCash: 50
For anyone who missed this game:



It was a great game to watch!

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:08 PM
  #107
HoshiBlitz
Registered User
 
HoshiBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red mile.
Posts: 518
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
For anyone who missed this game:



It was a great game to watch!
Seeing Kucherov tie the game up got me thinking that he would eventually score the winner, ala Niederreiter a couple years back.

Oddly enough, I must say that the Swiss were the most exciting team to watch this tournament. Their 3rd periods were ridiculously intense. Got me thinking how much more damage they could do if Conz or Bartschi were still elligible.

HoshiBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:17 PM
  #108
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman
 
Sean Monahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,023
vCash: 50
Mirco Mueller was awesome

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 01:34 AM
  #109
Backlund
Registered User
 
Backlund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,747
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
For anyone who missed this game:



It was a great game to watch!
Surprised to hear that game went to SO. I thought the Russians would demolish them. I should've watched this one instead of the US game

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:28 AM
  #110
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,323
vCash: 50
Gaudreau is a completely different player with Grimaldi off his line. He's getting better as the games get tougher too, which is always a good sign.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:00 AM
  #111
Unkki
Registered User
 
Unkki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 310
vCash: 500
Oh what a goal Johnny!

Unkki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:01 AM
  #112
Ynnek
Registered User
 
Ynnek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,048
vCash: 177
Another Goal for Gaudreau he's looking good this game too.

Ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:22 AM
  #113
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman
 
Sean Monahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,023
vCash: 50
Sieloff is such a troll

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:41 AM
  #114
Trae
Registered User
 
Trae's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,103
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Gaudreau is a completely different player with Grimaldi off his line. He's getting better as the games get tougher too, which is always a good sign.
If one could describe him in one word based on not only this tournament but more specifically his time with BC, it would be "clutch". The amount of GWGs and PPGs is ridiculous and he really does step up when it matters.

I can only pray that we get to see that from him in a Flames jersey during the playoffs one day.

Trae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:15 AM
  #115
tfong
Registered User
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,676
vCash: 500
Whomever not watching this missing out on the Johnny Gaudreau show! It is so ridiculous! Screw all you people that didn't watch this morning, I am talking about him at work today lol.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:18 AM
  #116
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman
 
Sean Monahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,023
vCash: 50
Johnny is sooooooo good

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:20 AM
  #117
WhereIsIt
#gift
 
WhereIsIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 50
Hate to see Canada lose, but I sure hope this isn't the first time we see Gaudreau clean up against a certain Nugent-Hopkins team.

Is there any doubt he gets signed this summer?

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:25 AM
  #118
tfong
Registered User
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
Hate to see Canada lose, but I sure hope this isn't the first time we see Gaudreau clean up against a certain Nugent-Hopkins team.

Is there any doubt he gets signed this summer?
Likely not, I see them leaving him to finish college first and keep bulking up.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:30 AM
  #119
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,323
vCash: 50
He'll need to spend at least a year in the AHL, even after 4 years in the college. Will need to bulk up a fair bit to stick in the NHL.

It'd be very silly to rush a player like Gaudreau.


Last edited by Calculon: 01-03-2013 at 05:37 AM.
Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:31 AM
  #120
WhereIsIt
#gift
 
WhereIsIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Likely not, I see them leaving him to finish college first and keep bulking up.
Ya but despite his size he's completely dominated at every level he's played at.

Plus you don't want him to feel snubbed by the Flames if we leave him in college for two more years, he could pull a Justin Schultz.

Let me put it this way, if I complete tore up both the NCAA and WJC and then the team that owns my pro rights said "That's nice kid, but we need you to work on your size for two more years," I might be a little pissed. Especially if that size has been the chip on my shoulders for my entire career/life, which it probably has been for Johnny.


Last edited by WhereIsIt: 01-03-2013 at 05:37 AM.
WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:36 AM
  #121
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman
 
Sean Monahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,023
vCash: 50
He'll start in AHL next year. No way he goes back to BC especially if he wins Hobey this year

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:41 AM
  #122
WhereIsIt
#gift
 
WhereIsIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
He'll need to spend at least a year in the AHL, even after 4 years in the college. Will need to bulk up a fair bit to stick in the NHL.

It'd be very silly to rush a player like Gaudreau.
It's not rushing him if he's proven to be elite at every level. Put him in the AHL for a year. Reward him for his hard work and success.

Fact of the matter is with Gaudreau playing so well it's at the point where Calgary has to show their faith in him because there will be pressure on him to walk away if he completes four years of college. Two years to develop physically is also an extra two years to develop an ego.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:55 AM
  #123
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,323
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
It's not rushing him if he's proven to be elite at every level. Put him in the AHL for a year. Reward him for his hard work and success.

Fact of the matter is with Gaudreau playing so well it's at the point where Calgary has to show their faith in him because there will be pressure on him to walk away if he completes four years of college. Two years to develop physically is also an extra two years to develop an ego.
He is dominating the college stat sheets as well, so it's understandable if the Flames do push him to go to the AHL. But there's also the question of whether Gaudreau wants to leave college early. He could want to stay.

Also, I don't believe Gaudreau (or Jankowski) can pull a Shultz. Neither will qualify for that loophole.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:03 AM
  #124
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman
 
Sean Monahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,023
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
He is dominating the college stat sheets as well, so it's understandable if the Flames do push him to go to the AHL. But there's also the question of whether Gaudreau wants to leave college early. He could want to stay.

Also, I don't believe Gaudreau (or Jankowski) can pull a Shultz. Neither will qualify for that loophole.
Since Gaudreau played for Dubuque(USHL), which is equivalent to BCHL, if he plays out his 4 years of college he could do that.

But with the new CBA coming I'd think they will fix that issue

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:05 AM
  #125
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,323
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
Since Gaudreau played for Dubuque(USHL), which is equivalent to BCHL, if he plays out his 4 years of college he could do that.

But with the new CBA coming I'd think they will fix that issue
I had forgotten about that. If the new CBA doesn't fix it, then yes, Gaudreau should be signed as soon possible.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.