HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The OT Non-Ski Resort - The Walking Dead Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2013, 02:13 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Jumbo Joe!

vCash: 814
Just watched the first 2 episodes of the Walking Dead, everyone looks so different compared to Season 3.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
01-03-2013, 02:14 AM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Yeah, that is one of my favourite shows all-time.

Do yourself a favour and watch Fawlty Towers I think it is. So funny.
Meh, it's more slapstick comedy than anything else. It's okay, but not something I'd go and recommend to someone.

Nothing beats Seinfeld. Friends was also pretty good. I watch Big Bang Theory for lack of any other good comedies, although I have trailed off following it a bit.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:22 AM
Nuck Bonino

vCash: 500
Anyone watch Dexter? I just finished season 4. Bricks were shat.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:40 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Meh, it's more slapstick comedy than anything else. It's okay, but not something I'd go and recommend to someone.

Nothing beats Seinfeld. Friends was also pretty good. I watch Big Bang Theory for lack of any other good comedies, although I have trailed off following it a bit.
Parks and Recreation, Community, Louie, Modern Family, and I'm probably forgetting some others. Arrested Development coming back in May.

Raising Hope is pretty funny too, kind of underrated I would say. Not a masterpiece or anything, but it's a huge step up from TBBT and HIMYM (the last few seasons). I've only seen the first two seasons though.

Last edited by Tiranis: 01-03-2013 at 04:46 AM.
Old
01-03-2013, 04:52 AM
Reverend Mayhem

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Parks and Recreation, Community, Louie, Modern Family, and I'm probably forgetting some others. Arrested Development coming back in May.

Raising Hope is pretty funny too, kind of underrated I would say. Not a masterpiece or anything, but it's a huge step up from TBBT and HIMYM (the last few seasons). I've only seen the first two seasons though.
The League; season 1-3 were excellent. If you like Seinfeld or Curb, check those out.

Old
01-03-2013, 05:55 AM
WonderTwinsUnite

Breaking Bad>all shows except comedies (apples and oranges)

Seinfeld>all other comedies

Old
01-03-2013, 06:00 AM
Wellwood You

Add Archer and Bob's Burgers to the comedies list.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:08 AM
nameless1
Annoying Poetry Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post

Louie is a different animal.
It is an existentialist show, and it is poking fun at the absurdity of everyday life.
It has more tender moments than laugh-out-loud moments, and even in those funny moments, they are also heartwarming at the same time.
I love the show, but it is definitely not for everyone.
It is probably the closest thing to Seinfeld that we have today.

I second Raising Hope.
Everything Tiranis said about it is right on.
I just love the antics they get into, and strangely, when they get into flashbacks, I see a lot of references and homages to films.
I quite like that aspect.

Old
01-04-2013, 02:08 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler is Bestler View Post
Anyone watch Dexter? I just finished season 4. Bricks were shat.
Good, you will have the next 3 seasons to clean up that mess because not much happens and nothing comes close to the level of season 4 afterwards.

But S4 literally left me breathless and gasping for 5 minutes after that finale. Then 10 minutes of shaking my head thinking "this can't be happening".

-----

I got into Community at the prodding of some friends. I must say, if you remove Abed and Troy, you have a cast of extremely annoying characters that i'd like nothing more than to walk up to, shake their hand and then slap them in the face. Can't stand Jeff (he nails that dbag character well) and Britta.

My favorite comedy at the moment is Modern Family. I don't watch actual live TV anymore to see the reruns of Seinfeld, but i think i've watched every episode 4-5 times over when i was younger. Loved it.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:56 AM
Auger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
The League; season 1-3 were excellent. If you like Seinfeld or Curb, check those out.
If only there was an NHL version of The League, id watch it even if CBC was producing it (just kidding it would probably suck)

Old
01-04-2013, 05:01 AM
Wellwood You

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I got into Community at the prodding of some friends. I must say, if you remove Abed and Troy, you have a cast of extremely annoying characters that i'd like nothing more than to walk up to, shake their hand and then slap them in the face. Can't stand Jeff (he nails that dbag character well) and Britta.
Might not have the same appeal to you, but Alison Brie is a freaking national treasure. They could spin Annie, Abed & Troy off onto their own show and I'd be pretty content. Or just give Alison Brie her own talk show where she raps and krumps.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:23 AM
nameless1
Annoying Poetry Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I think that's the point about Britta.
Everybody hates Britta.

The cast is what it is.
They are people from all walks of life and all ages trying to figure out who they are and where they want to go.
I went to a small school, and these are the people I meet there.
I really think that is why Community is so brilliant.
Sure they exaggerate, but the exaggerations are not so far away from the truth.

Quote:
My favorite comedy at the moment is Modern Family. I don't watch actual live TV anymore to see the reruns of Seinfeld, but i think i've watched every episode 4-5 times over when i was younger. Loved it.
Love Modern Family.
Phil is my favorite TV dad of all time.

Seinfeld is the holy grail.
Shows will try to emulate it, but nothing had came even close.

I would recommend Louie and quite possibly It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
Louie is the smartest comedy I have seen in a long time, and the latter one had been described as "Seinfeld on crack."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellwood You View Post
Might not have the same appeal to you, but Alison Brie is a freaking national treasure. They could spin Annie, Abed & Troy off onto their own show and I'd be pretty content. Or just give Alison Brie her own talk show where she raps and krumps.
I would watch the Annie, Abed and Troy show.
Still, I think Alison Brie tries too hard to be cute.
I like her, but I just feel like it is all a farcade.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:01 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

I love Community; it'll be a bit weird without Chevy Chase (although the writing for his character has been a struggle for a while), but the ensemble does a great job. I agree that Troy and Abed are far and away the funniest, but I also enjoy Jeff's dry/d-baggie/uncaring quips and monologues.

I also think it's hilarious that the show has a human personification of a wet blanket in Britta. I agree, you're supposed to hate her, but it's still hilarious.

Count me among the people who would also watch a Troy, Abed and Annie spin-off.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:12 PM
Reverend Mayhem

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Community I think is one of the funniest shows out there. Sad seeing Chevy go, he was funny sometimes but other times seemed pointless. I like Jeff, his role and how he takes to it is fairly comedic. Troy and Abed are just straight up hilarious, though. Honestly, I think one of the more underrated characters is (can't remember name right now) Big Cheddar.

The good part about Community is not only funny, but has different takes on storylines and original ideas (I loved the paintball episodes) and has some emotional episodes as well (the X-mas stop-motion episode comes to mind). When a comedy can do that, it doesn't have to rely so much on being a comedy but is a well-rounded show. Even then, Community is consistently hilarious.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

^Big Cheddar = Shirley. I find her to be her most hilarious when she relapses into her old party girl/drunk self.

Britta - "Shirley, don't you think you've had enough?"
Shirley - "...of you!"

Old
01-04-2013, 05:34 PM
m9

I tried watching Community but I couldn't get into it. I do really like Alison Brie from Madmen though, she's quite hot.

I'll toss a vote in for The League. Really funny, and you don't have to be a football fan to enjoy it. It helps, but my girlfriend loves it and knows nothing about football.

For newer comedies I also really like The Mindy Project. Eastbound and Down is also great.

HIMYM and The Office really tailed off. The second and third seasons of The Office US are as good as it gets for comedies.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:37 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Count me in for the Community lovefest! Best comedy still on-going.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:45 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

“Comprende .....Star-Burns?”

don't have the time to make a huge post about my love for Community... I'll do that later.

Old
01-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
I tried watching Community but I couldn't get into it. I do really like Alison Brie from Madmen though, she's quite hot.

I'll toss a vote in for The League. Really funny, and you don't have to be a football fan to enjoy it. It helps, but my girlfriend loves it and knows nothing about football.

For newer comedies I also really like The Mindy Project. Eastbound and Down is also great.

HIMYM and The Office really tailed off. The second and third seasons of The Office US are as good as it gets for comedies.
Always hated The Office, but man, HIMYM was so, so good in its early days. It has become a pale shadow of its former self. I'd say the first three seasons were dynamite, with four and five being OK. Everything since then has been meh to awful.

Old
01-04-2013, 07:00 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Always hated The Office, but man, HIMYM was so, so good in its early days. It has become a pale shadow of its former self. I'd say the first three seasons were dynamite, with four and five being OK. Everything since then has been meh to awful.
Yeah no doubt, and I agree with your trajectory. This year has been the worst as they've gone to a formulaic show where they blatantly set up their show topic at the beginning of the episode and then weirdly intertwine things. It has no flow anymore and is almost unwatchable.

Old
01-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
Yeah, I stopped watching HIMYM last year, and stopped watching The Office this year.
They used to be my favorite shows.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
01-04-2013, 10:12 PM
nameless1
Annoying Poetry Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I always loved The Naked Man episode.
One of the best episodes ever created.

Still, the show has to be one of the biggest troll job in the world.
8 seasons and the mother is nowhere close in sight?
I am only watching because of all the time invested in the show, and I have to see it through.

I have to defend this year, because it is a bit better.
They are going back to doing weird and off-the-wall stuff, which was what brought them so much success.
However, as Mr. Canucklehead said, it is a shadow of its former self.
I am pretty sure this has to be the last season, because I don't want to spend another season guessing who the mother is.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:53 PM
KISSland

Got courses exempted from my program. Pretty stoked.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:07 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderTwinsUnite View Post
Breaking Bad>all shows except comedies (apples and oranges)

Seinfeld>all other comedies
Breaking bad is great but I'd put Boardwalk Empire, Walking Dead on par with it. Game of Thrones isn't too far behind it either.

Sopranos (IMO) is still the benchmark for crime shows.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:51 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 3498
So my cable provider (Shaw) finally added FX Canada to their line-up a couple weeks ago. They've been running marathons of their popular series over the holidays. I now have 33 episodes of Sons of Anarchy and 19 episodes of Louie saved - not counting what I've already watched. SoA is great but Louie is awesome. The final episode of season one was some of the best TV I've ever watched.