Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

All Purpose Tennis Thread IV

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2012, 07:45 PM
17futurecap

vCash: 500
I know we don't talk much women's tennis here, but the Brisbane draw has 8 of the top 10 ladies, nice get for the people who run that tournament.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:39 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
I know we don't talk much women's tennis here, but the Brisbane draw has 8 of the top 10 ladies, nice get for the people who run that tournament.

Old
12-30-2012, 06:16 PM
17futurecap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
Well that explains it .

Old
01-01-2013, 03:45 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Youzhny recorded his 400th career ATP win in outlasting Becker today. Good for him. Only saw the last set though.

Interesting to see the new rule on time violations implemented in Doha. It's supposed to encourage umpires to warn and penalize players more by lightening the penalty for the second violation from a point to a fault. I've seen both Robredo and Lopez warned for it, but I don't remember either getting the second penalty. It remains to be seen if they'll continue to call it when it's the tour's big stars who are violating it, and of course it won't affect the Grand Slams, over which the ATP has no jurisdiction.

EDIT: Just as I type that, Bernardes calls it a second time on Lopez, who has a small eruption. It was on set point against, too, so not exactly a trivial moment in the match. Kubot takes the first.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Monfils putting in another good appearance at Doha this year, beating Kohlschreiber in three sets. He was playing very aggressively from what I saw.

Zemlja put in an impressive performance against Gasquet and served for the match at 5-4 in the third but of course was broken and lost in the tiebreak. Still, excellent tennis from him to follow up on his run to the Vienna finals last year. Gasquet didn't even play poorly, and Zemlja wasn't playing over his head either.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

How many years does Roger have left in his career? Can he play until his late 30s?

Old
01-02-2013, 03:26 PM
kihei

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
How many years does Roger have left in his career? Can he play until his late 30s?
No. He wants to play in the next Olympics, and he can probably do so, but he won't be doing it from the top of the heap. So three and a half years, max, in my opinion. He might be able to hang on a little longer, but what would be the point.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Most people think he can at least make it on tour with his natural talent and his generally terrific health for that long. It's a question of when his dignity kicks in (will he retire if he drops out of the top ten?) and if he wants to spend more time with his family, among other things. He has repeatedly said over the past year or so that he'll play through the Rio Olympics and right now there's no reason to doubt him.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:54 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Isner has apparently sustained a knee injury at the Hopman Cup. Hopefully this won't keep him out of the AO.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:13 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Dimitrov takes the first set over Raonic 6-3.

And the second 6-4. Good stuff from him this match. His superiority once the rallies got underway was obvious. Several times he just played average defensive shots floating it back until Raonic made an error, and conversely didn't relent or allow Milos any time when he was on the offensive. I understand the appeal to Milos of preparing for the slower surface in Melbourne, but I still think Chennai would have been a better decision for him. Oh well.

Last edited by Deficient Mode: 01-02-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old
01-02-2013, 11:46 PM
17futurecap

Dimitrov 26/26 on first serve, and Raonic finished 21/24 on his first serve, rockets being fired on court. Nice start to the year for Grigor.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:59 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Dimitrov 26/26 on first serve, and Raonic finished 21/24 on his first serve, rockets being fired on court. Nice start to the year for Grigor.
Not unusual numbers for Raonic matches. They testify to just how poor he is at returning as well as how great his serve is.

Goffin-Melzer about to begin.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:25 AM
Tuggy

Wonderful start to the season for Raonic

Old
01-03-2013, 12:31 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Wonderful start to the season for Raonic
I really hope he starts thinking of a coaching change. I think Galo Blanco has taken him as far as he can go.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:41 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Dimitrov makes his first ATP final in Brisbane, defeating Baghdatis in three sets. Not a great match to be honest, but Grigor came up with a couple of big shots in the third set tiebreak. I don't give him much of a chance against Nishikori or Murray, however.

Also, Davydenko routined Ferrer in Doha earlier 6-2, 6-3. Really classy tennis. I didn't think Davydenko was still capable of this level of play after his 2012. Hopefully he can reproduce this form against Gasquet and in Australia.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:24 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Murray beats Dimitrov 7-6, 6-4. This week was by far the most impressive performance from Dimitrov I've seen. Very impressive play from the baseline. Needs to work most on his footwork and stamina. I think the rest will come naturally for him in the next couple of years.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:47 AM
Cruiser008

Just watched some highlights of the Murray-Dimitrov match. Damn Grigor's game is pertty. Needs to work on his balance and stamina though, and his game is nowhere as refined as those of the big-4 when they were his age. Still, he has a lot of potential.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:54 PM
weems

I know many dont like Tomic but man that kid has game.
Very sneaky serve. Reads the play incredibly well. Can really rip some shots when he actually goes for it. He plays the big points well for someone so young. His body and movement already look much improved from a year ago. I like him by far the most out of the young players and think as soon as he gets his fitness and stamina to top level he will be a problem.

I know it was just Jarkko he beat last night but he played amazing for some stretchs and definitely has worked on his game.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

I'm not convinced. He did great in January last season too and was horrendous the rest of the year.

His serve is still terrible for someone his size, and he's still a poor mover. His variety and surprise clearly aren't enough to make up for his other shortcomings against guys like Federer and Murray. I remember how totally hopeless he was against both of them last year.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

I was very disappointed from the only game I saw of Tomic last year, think was in the US Open, not sure a

Old
01-10-2013, 04:27 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
I'm not convinced. He did great in January last season too and was horrendous the rest of the year.

His serve is still terrible for someone his size, and he's still a poor mover. His variety and surprise clearly aren't enough to make up for his other shortcomings against guys like Federer and Murray. I remember how totally hopeless he was against both of them last year.
Ya and he was also 19!
I disagree about his serve being terrible. He makes a good % of first serves and hits his spots very well. Sure he doesnt have a heavy or booming serve but its quality enough when you factor in other things and he comes up with timely serves more often then not. His movement was poor last season but like I said hes trimmed down and looks quicker and more mobile.

Im not sure if your strictly going on last years version or what but his game has certainly improved. Last year is last year and this season hes already beaten Novak along with other really solid players like Mayer, Haas, Seppi and Niemenan. Sure he isnt a perfect player but neither is any of the other young guns and I can easily point to Dmitrov and say I have concerns about his tennis IQ and stamina.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Exhibitions don't count. Don't even mention them. Hewitt just beat Berdych in an exhibition too. Bellucci beat Federer in Brasil last month. The common theme: the huge underdog was playing in his home country.

Like I said, his serve is terrible for someone his size. Generates very few free points at all.

I'm not saying the other young players aren't flawed. I just think Tomic won't junk ball his way to victory against top guys (at least Federer and Murray; he has given Djokovic more than a few problems in their real matches) and his ground game underneath that isn't that special. He has poor racquet head speed on his forehand and thus can't generate the same margin as the other top guys. I agree that he has a great understanding of the game, however.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:27 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
I was very disappointed from the only game I saw of Tomic last year, think was in the US Open, not sure a
I was a nay-sayer about him until Toronto last year, and now I'm sort of in-between. He does have game on those rare occasions that he remembers to properly screw his head on right. Not too many guys are overly successful against Roger and Andy so I wouldn't hold that too much against him at this stage. He still has a lot of growing up to do, though--he embarrassed himself with his lack of effort on occasion last year.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

I really should get into tennis more as I really enjoyed it when younger. Thing is, do you guys watch games often? I just wouldn't have time to watch many games other than a few at the Aussie Open and a fair few at Wimbledon and the US Open.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:04 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Prioritize. Spend less time watching football and more time watching tennis.

Closed Thread