HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL in Wisconsin

Old
01-02-2013, 04:24 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Why?

You ever been to Milwaukee?

Hockey has no pulse or influence there
Because I'm old-school and I'd like to see hockey in a little more "traditional" markets, I didn't say it is viable. I think its great we have teams in California and Texas (I'll reserve judgement on Florida) but a part of me wishes the NHL was a 1B dollar business with teams in Saskatoon and Alaska but we know that's not the kind of world we live in.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:32 PM
ford42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
Looks like an NHL team isn't the only thing you guys are missing...
No, were pretty much good.

ford42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:35 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Yeah and there was a time when if you told someone that they would move a Canadian team to the desert they would laugh in your face.

I am not saying they are going to move next year, arena's usually have a 35 year life span. The arena is 15 years old, If they are still treading water in 20 years, they will be moved.
Well sure, longterm anything's possible, so there's no point to try and prognosticate that far out. Shorterm, 5+ years? Florida's not moving, so there's no real point in bringing them up alongside the Yotes who are an immediate relocation threat.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:40 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Yeah and there was a time when if you told someone that they would move a Canadian team to the desert they would laugh in your face.

I am not saying they are going to move next year, arena's usually have a 35 year life span. The arena is 15 years old, If they are still treading water in 20 years, they will be moved.
Well if we are looking that far in future ,, How do we know the Cnd dollar wont go in gutter 20 years from now and that teams will flee canada again?

Simple reality is no one knows how things will be for NHL , World , etc in 20 years

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:42 PM
ford42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Why talk about something that's not going to happen for 20 years, then?

Florida isn't going anywhere anytime soon. People need to learn to accept that.

Madison is too small for a NHL team (especially because they'd play second fiddle to the Badgers in what is a firm college town) and Milwaukee certainly can't support both a NBA team and a NHL team...though I doubt many people there would balk at trading the Bucks for a NHL team. What works against Wisconsin is that the population is too spread out. Milwaukee is the hub, but it's not exactly a huge city (metro is slightly smaller than Nashville). Considering Milwaukee already has two teams and essentially the Packers (Green Bay is 120 miles north...the Packers aren't still in Green Bay without their proximity to Milwaukee) it's a hard sell to put another in there.

It's possible down the road, but I don't see them in a prime position to get a team in the near future.
The packers season tickets are 30 years out, it would not matter if all the Milwaukee people all decided to be bears fans the Packers will always be sold out, always.

Old
01-02-2013, 04:45 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford42 View Post
The packers season tickets are 30 years out, it would not matter if all the Milwaukee people all decided to be bears fans the Packers will always be sold out, always.
And the success of an established team has what to do with a new team in a different sport coming in?

And while they may all be sold out, if Milwaukee became a Bears town, the loss of revenue from that would assuredly sink the team. From a TV market standpoint, the Packer's market is Milwaukee, not Green Bay. Without Milwaukee, they would've been gone long ago like the many other small market NFL teams that made up the league during their early years.

Old
01-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Well if we are looking that far in future ,, How do we know the Cnd dollar wont go in gutter 20 years from now and that teams will flee canada again?

Simple reality is no one knows how things will be for NHL , World , etc in 20 years
Because Jean Chrétien will never be in office again and will not artificially lower the value of the Canadian dollar.

Besides that, if HRR was in place before, Quebec and Winnipeg would never have moved.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Mouse21*

the Milwaukee lagers jersey sure is beautiful.

Mouse21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:10 PM
ford42

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
And the success of an established team has what to do with a new team in a different sport coming in?

And while they may all be sold out, if Milwaukee became a Bears town, the loss of revenue from that would assuredly sink the team. From a TV market standpoint, the Packer's market is Milwaukee, not Green Bay. Without Milwaukee, they would've been gone long ago like the many other small market NFL teams that made up the league during their early years.
I agree with that the market is not all in Green Bay(simply because theres not enough people in Green Bay to fill the stadium), but its all over the state and also bleeds into surrounding states... I think everyone would agree that no pro sports team in WI will ever come close to being "bigger" then that Packers. The argument is about if NHL would survive and do well in a market that hasnt been touched by the NHL. I think it would, and it will probably never happen but being from Wi its kinda fun just to think about it.

Old
01-02-2013, 05:15 PM
ford42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse21 View Post

Those do look pretty damn sweet!

Old
01-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

I think Madison is big enough to have an NHL franchise even with the Badgers.

The trick is how much it would cost a family to go, and while Madison is a great town, there isnt too much money. So yeah, Id say no to Madison.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Big McLargehuge
No Hope

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford42 View Post
And I'm sure there isn't a soul amongst those season ticket holders from Milwaukee.

The Packers are an institution that plays once a week (and only 8 times a year at home), their success has no relevance on the discussion of the NHL in Milwaukee, I'm just saying that they serve the Milwaukee (and Wisconsin at-large) market. NFL teams can service a greater area than teams in other spots because of the schedule. A 120 mile drive on Sunday is a hell of a lot easier to pull off than that same drive on weekday nights.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:42 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey Rustie View Post
If Milwaukee wants a team, they should show the potential by supporting their AHL team, the Admirals. In a lockout, when many young players get sent down to the minors, Milwaukee averages 4,401 for home games, while the league average is 5,387 - to me that doesn't speak well for any potential NHL hockey in Wisconsin.

http://theahl.com/stats/schedule.php?view=attendance
Attendance always picks up after the new year and when Packers season is over. I see you didn't bother looking at the past several years where they were 10th (6,226), 11th (5,796), 8th (6,027), 11th (5,878) and 12th (5,517). And that's not even including back in the 90s when they consistently led the old IHL in attendance averaging over 9,000 a game for 4 straight years.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:49 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Proposed new Arena was roundly shotdown in all circles a few years back.
You can't roundly shoot down an arena proposal when no proposal was ever made.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:28 AM
tony d
The man

I can remember in the early 90's Milwaukee was discussed as being a prime market for expansion. It didn't happen then and now it seems like they're at the bottom of the list of cities for the NHL to expand to.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:46 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
It's all down to supply and demand ... we all know there's more demand for ice hockey on the beaches of Miami than the frozen tundra of WI.

Gary Bettman knows the secret to pro sports.

No money in Florida > Some money in Wisconsin

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:22 AM
Descendent*

Saskatchewan should get a team. Look at how they support the Roughriders.

Descendent* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:23 AM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
According to some posters, WI shouldn't get a team b/c they don't support the Admirals. Was the support metric used to allow teams in Miami, St. Petersburg, Raliegh, Atlanta, Phoneix, etc, etc, etc, etc.?

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Wingsfan2965*

I wouldn't mind seeing it, as it certainly couldn't be worse than a few of the current markets (You know who you are) but in my opinion they're not near the front of the line.

Quebec City and Seattle are at the top of the list right now. And after that, though I don't agree with it, I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL went for Houston, considering the size of their TV market.

I'd still like to see Indianapolis explored. They're a rapidly growing city.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:40 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Come to think of it, has a Milwaukee group ever officially bidded on an NHL team during any round of expansion? As in presented a bid and came under consideration by the league? Just quick check only brings up 1990, but the group withdrew their bid before they could be officially considered as they didn't think that the plan was economically viable.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...e-admirals-nhl

Interesting to note that at least Dollar Bill wasn't necessarily opposed to a team in Milwaukee, though....

For everyone knocking the NHL going other places over Milwaukee, has the league actually chosen other markets ahead of them, or....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp10 View Post
Saskatchewan should get a team. Look at how they support the Roughriders.
NHL isn't even close to being interested in them. I'm sure that whenever the NHL next considers an expansion, they'll get a proposal from Saskatchewan and the BoG will listen politely before immediately crossing them off their list.

Saskatoon is about a third to half the size of Winnipeg and bringing up Roughrider support is a non-started because it's a helluva lot easier, and cheaper, to support a team for a handful of home games during the summer on the weekends then it is to support 40 home games, the lion's share on weekdays, and a big chunk of which is during the Winter.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Zakkk

I have always wondered why Wisconsin doesn't have a NHL team. I mean, Michigan has one, Minnesota has one and they're both popular. And Wisconsin is located between these two states. So nobody just gives a damn about hockey in Wisconsin???
sounds kinda weird to me but what do I know...
but to answer the OPs question: I think hockey in WI would be a great idea.

Zakkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse21 View Post

Oh, Wisconsin... You rascals would name an athletic team after beer.

Sincerely, Minnesota.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:45 AM
Shakey Rustie
1L

vCash: 1077
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
According to some posters, WI shouldn't get a team b/c they don't support the Admirals. Was the support metric used to allow teams in Miami, St. Petersburg, Raliegh, Atlanta, Phoneix, etc, etc, etc, etc.?
Not a knock against them no. Prior to the Thrashers relocating, the 2010-11 season was the longest stretch of years (10 years) that the NHL went without expanding, contracting, or relocating a team since the 25 year stretch that went from the 42-43 season till the 67-68 season. As is the case with some struggling teams, the NHL seem to be very reluctant to move teams these days. Winnipeg got a team by having a newish arena, dedicated owners, and a strong fanbase in the AHL. I'd like to see a team in Wisconsin, but I just don't see it happening.

Shakey Rustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:26 AM
jimmycrackcorn
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 200
Quote:
Why?

You ever been to Milwaukee?

Hockey has no pulse or influence there
Kind of like Phoenix - yet they have a franchise... There is no way a team in Milwaukee would do worse than the Coyotes over the last 16 years.

jimmycrackcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:17 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

The big problems to me would seem to be:

• Does Wisconsin have the amount of willing corporations that it takes to successfully fill up the higher dollar seats/add sponsorship dollars?

• Wisconsin does not currently have an NHL quality venue.

• Population is too far dispersed throughout the state. Can they support/show to games multiple times a week on a consistent and financially viable rate?

• (Minor) Playing hockey throughout my many years in Minnesota, it seemed like the most dense hockey communities in Wisconsin came out of western WI, as well as in Duluth/Superior area. Has that changed? With Basketball, it's a more accepted sport throughout many areas and is commonly played at many schools throughout the state. That wasn't exactly case with hockey as to how I remember it. Especially in many small Wisconsin towns. Hard to generate interest in a team when it's not really an accepted and truly followed sport.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote