No More Lockout Blues! - 2012 Lockout Part 2 [UPD: AGREEMENT REACHED!]

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Gm0ney

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
Interesting discussion on hockey central.
Nick Kypreos apparently has heard that the NHL and NHLPA have talked about adding four teams to the playoffs. Not clear if it would just be for the shortened season (to increase revenue) or if it would be a lasting change.
There's been some discussion of this on the main board.

If you just do it this year, then there's a bit of an asterisk beside the eventual Cup winner, right? (I mean, there may be an asterisk anyway because of a shortened regular season). Also, in terms of revenue generation, what sense does it make to add a possible 12-28 playoff games (12 games if 4 best-of-5 series go 3 games each, 28 if 4 best-of-sevens go the distance) when you could play an extra week and give every team an extra 3-4 games (90-120 regular season games). Are wildcard playoff games going to be worth 5- to 10-times more than regular season games?

So it only makes sense if this is the new playoff system going forward. And a 20 team playoff sucks. Sure, more teams get in. But then you have a wildcard round that adds up to 2 weeks to the playoffs. 12 teams get that wildcard bye - on one hand, they get to rest up; OTOH, they lose momentum/get rusty. The 8 wildcard teams get an extra series of wear-and-tear. Does LA win the Cup if they have to grind it out for 2 weeks against Calgary in a Wildcard round before facing the Canucks? Do the well-rested Canucks win the Cup instead? It's a terrible thing to contemplate...

Old
01-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I would rather see them not change the playoff format. And if they only did it for this one season... I wouldn't like that one bit.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:19 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I would rather see them not change the playoff format. And if they only did it for this one season... I wouldn't like that one bit.
I agree. I'd be pissed if they did that.

Old
01-02-2013, 05:35 PM
Jaffray15

Send a message via AIM to Jaffray15 Send a message via MSN to Jaffray15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
At this point I actually hope they cancel the season...I'd rather have a fresh start in Oct. without the negative feelings.
Are you crazy or something??? How can any true NHL fan say that!!! Do you have season tickets because if you do, you know how awesome it is to attend a Winnipeg Jets home game at the MTS Centre!!!

Old
01-02-2013, 05:46 PM
puck stoppa

Ya, I want games and I want them ASAP. I understand this BS is all business and am pissed but will have no hard feelings when play resumes. I can't wait to go the rink and cheer on my team and scream True North during the anthem. Here's to hockey being played in three weeks!

Old
01-02-2013, 07:05 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

the players are playing chicken with this de-certify thing tonight

"how they respond to out latest proposal will determine if we disclaim on not"

LeBrun reported a player told him that.

Dangerous dangerous game the players are playing.

Old
01-02-2013, 07:13 PM
PaperRockChamp

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffray15 View Post
Are you crazy or something??? How can any true NHL fan say that!!! Do you have season tickets because if you do, you know how awesome it is to attend a Winnipeg Jets home game at the MTS Centre!!!
I also hope they cancel the season. This whole situation is BS and a 48 game season is an absolute joke (in my emotional opinion).

Old
01-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpggrown View Post
I also hope they cancel the season. This whole situation is BS and a 48 game season is an absolute joke (in my emotional opinion).
I'm actually torn.

A 48 game season seems to be better than nothing, and anything can happen. Some teams could start off like bandits - like the Edmonton Oilers, who could make a strong playoff push with many of their players actually playing on the same team and bonding. Others will take some time to get into the swing of things, including the Jets, imo.

Now, the Jets have had some guys join other leagues, but not many are still playing. So most Jets are just skating on their own, without the pressures of game situations. I think we would be a bit behind the 8 ball, tbh.

And... two of our best players, Kane and Pavy, have also had a rough time in Europe which doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence that they could pick up where they left off last year and have immediate success.

But... without a CBA, and season, there would be no draft in June. I'm really looking forward to this draft, as i did in 2003, so postponing it would really piss me off. So, let's have a shorter season and hope for the best, would be my vote.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:04 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

And #DregerFace is trending.

DregerFace Gangnam Style

http://www.jibjab.com/view/xcCmaKEmW8ofpaYF3eC0

Old
01-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Gungagalunga

Has anyone heard what Big Buff is up to during the lockout (omitting pun weight comments)? I heard he was practicing with some college in MN, but not confirmed.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:27 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungagalunga View Post
Has anyone heard what Big Buff is up to during the lockout (omitting pun weight comments)? I heard he was practicing with some college in MN, but not confirmed.
There's a number of NHLers in minny that have been working out together.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:55 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
There's a number of NHLers in minny that have been working out together.
Wouldn't it be outstanding if Buff used the off time wisely and came back at a trim 235?

Old
01-03-2013, 12:05 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

I guess we'll find out soon if the NHLPA filed their Disclaimer of Interest.
Whatever they decided to will have a big impact.

Brad May got a text saying "not tonight" so that's encouraging.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:10 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Ugh, nerve wracking.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:12 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

The fact they're still in the room negotiating is extremely promising, IMO.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:14 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Indeed.

Have to think if they filed a DOI then we would've had a presser by now. So at least some good news.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:03 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Don Fehr speaking on sportsnet right now.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:25 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

I didn't hear what was said last night but i saw this tweet from Pierr lebrunthis morning...

Quote:
"2nd year cap, term on contracts and pension remain the most significant "open" issues as CBA talks set to resume this morning in NYC. #TSN"
For all this talk of "progress" and optimism...that sounds like the exact same issues from November, PLUS one (pension).

Maybe i'm just so use to the cycle by now that it's ingrained in my psyche to become extrodinarly pessimistic 24 hours after feeling optimism..but this sure doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast.

yes, it's good there in the room, but it doesn seem like they are any closer to a deal then they were when it all went nuclear in december.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:39 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
I didn't hear what was said last night but i saw this tweet from Pierr lebrunthis morning...

For all this talk of "progress" and optimism...that sounds like the exact same issues from November, PLUS one (pension).

Maybe i'm just so use to the cycle by now that it's ingrained in my psyche to become extrodinarly pessimistic 24 hours after feeling optimism..but this sure doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast.

yes, it's good there in the room, but it doesn seem like they are any closer to a deal then they were when it all went nuclear in december.
I don't think the NHLPA will move to sign a deal until the VERY last minute - why should they? They're getting movement from the NHL on a number of issues. I still think it'll get done, but I don't think we'll see this thing signed until 1 minute before Daly and Bettman's deadline. Just MO.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
I don't think the NHLPA will move to sign a deal until the VERY last minute - why should they? They're getting movement from the NHL on a number of issues. I still think it'll get done, but I don't think we'll see this thing signed until 1 minute before Daly and Bettman's deadline. Just MO.
that's true, the setting of an actual drop dead date pretty much sealed when this deal would get done.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:02 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

right now I'm more confident as every before this lockout that we will see some hockey before the flowers start to bloom

Old
01-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

I certainly think Donald Fehr takes this right to the 11th hour. Why not? he's come this far.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:11 AM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
right now I'm more confident as every before this lockout that we will see some hockey before the flowers start to bloom
Im torn actually. If there is a season, there's hockey. That's awesome. However if there is no season, we have a shot at drafting first overall...so it's hard to say

Old
01-03-2013, 11:15 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

I am for the season. No brainer.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I certainly think Donald Fehr takes this right to the 11th hour. Why not? he's come this far.
Agreed. At this point, with the disclaimer off the table, I doubt we see an agreement for another week. It's impossible for Fehr to sign now, for optics if nothing else. We are only a week from the deadline, players will question signing this week, even if the deal is the same next week at this time. Your not gaining anything by signing this week from the players side, it's not like there will be more/money being paid this season.

What might be telling is if the players head back to their European teams. I think they are due back sometime early next week, so if we see a bunch of players stay home early next week, there's probably an agreement...if not, well it means almost nothing, IMO, since that just means the agreement is not a certainty.

Closed Thread