HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Globe Article on Cash Crunch: Good Luck Marc Bergevin

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-02-2013, 10:22 PM
  #1
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,222
vCash: 500
Globe Article on Cash Crunch: Good Luck Marc Bergevin

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle6855989/

A 30 team analysis of current salary commitments versus likely cap 2013/14 cap level


Last edited by Agnostic: 01-02-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:54 PM
  #2
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Chucky breakout year
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 53,093
vCash: 626
Not sure why he needs to be wished ''good luck'' for this aspect. Seems clear there will be an amnesty buyout and it will solve our Gomez problem.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 11:03 PM
  #3
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Not sure why he needs to be wished ''good luck'' for this aspect. Seems clear there will be an amnesty buyout and it will solve our Gomez problem.
Well, he's already got commitments totalling 200k above the new cap mark, he's got 7 players to sign (including Subban) and that will become 8 when Gomez is off the books.

So he's got Subban and 7 other players to sign with approximately $7M.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 11:14 PM
  #4
Craig71
Registered User
 
Craig71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,931
vCash: 500
How did we get such a payroll for such a below average team? Gainey,Gauthier,Youppie who caused this?

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 11:20 PM
  #5
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund
 
Lars The GOAT Eller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,287
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Well, he's already got commitments totalling 200k above the new cap mark, he's got 7 players to sign (including Subban) and that will become 8 when Gomez is off the books.

So he's got Subban and 7 other players to sign with approximately $7M.
There will be teams with cap space interested in players.

The worst thing that can happen is a mini 2010 Hawks off season and start flipping players.

Lars The GOAT Eller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 11:29 PM
  #6
Alexdaman
Registered User
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pominville, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
How did we get such a payroll for such a below average team? Gainey,Gauthier,Youppie who caused this?
All of them are to blame.

but if the league and the PA settles in the middle we're going to be looking at a 63$m or 63.5$m cap, just little room to maneuver.

Alexdaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 11:56 PM
  #7
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
All of them are to blame.

but if the league and the PA settles in the middle we're going to be looking at a 63$m or 63.5$m cap, just little room to maneuver.
There won't be a salary reduction or amnesty?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:57 AM
  #8
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Why can't they just trade Gomez? It would only cost a team $4.5 million for one season.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 01:09 AM
  #9
HatTricK09
Registered User
 
HatTricK09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Why can't they just trade Gomez? It would only cost a team $4.5 million for one season.
4.5m per season for a 3rd-4th line C? And the cap hit is still 7m+

I say we buy out Youppie. He's had 0g 0a since he's joined us!

HatTricK09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 02:17 AM
  #10
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,266
vCash: 500
*Cue chicken little

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:00 AM
  #11
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Well, he's already got commitments totalling 200k above the new cap mark, he's got 7 players to sign (including Subban) and that will become 8 when Gomez is off the books.

So he's got Subban and 7 other players to sign with approximately $7M.
Sure, but our biggest player to sign next year will be DD. After him, it's LL, and then it drops to role players. Not exactly impossible.
Buyout Gomez, then try to move Kaberle or Bourque. That should create the necessary room.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:16 AM
  #12
WhiskeySeven
Avatard
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,503
vCash: 500
I'm not worried at all. The cap won't be 60m next season either, I doubt it. Regardless, we gotta give it up to fkn Gainey. Gionta @5, Cammy @6 and Gomez @∞...

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:41 AM
  #13
crazyd
Canada is hockey
 
crazyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,088
vCash: 500
If the mark is indeed $60M, Gomez, Kaberle and Gionta will need to go. It is as simple as that. The wildcard will be Markov if he gets injured - again - and not able to play at the NHL level anymore.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:10 AM
  #14
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,724
vCash: 500
If we get the amnesty buyouts out, which has to be part of this CBA, than kiss Gomers $7.37 M off that number.

We'd actually be at $52.83 M and at #8 on that list. If we could get rid of Kaberle we'd be at around 15th on the list.

I'm not too worried, especially that we'll be building with youth which is much cheaper and more cap friendly and we have more expiring contracts in the next couple of years.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:11 AM
  #15
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTricK09 View Post
4.5m per season for a 3rd-4th line C? And the cap hit is still 7m+

I say we buy out Youppie. He's had 0g 0a since he's joined us!
Wasn't he our shootout specialist when the last lockout ended? Played on a line with Ryder and Ribeiro, I think...

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:20 AM
  #16
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,372
vCash: 500
Some teams have a dozen players signed, we have 16. We'll get one or two compliance buyouts. Seriously, we are far from in trouble.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:22 AM
  #17
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,554
vCash: 500
Marc Bergevin was hired to be the General Manager of this team...part of his functions is dealing with the salary cap and manipulating it.

This is part of his job

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:32 AM
  #18
Craig71
Registered User
 
Craig71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Some teams have a dozen players signed, we have 16. We'll get one or two compliance buyouts. Seriously, we are far from in trouble.
So aside from the obvious Gomez, maybe Gionta will have to go,good player but is he good enough for us to continue paying him such a high salary? I picked Gionta because of the fact that he would be appealing to any number of teams. I could single out Kaberle but seriously who wants him?

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:35 AM
  #19
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
So aside from the obvious Gomez, maybe Gionta will have to go,good player but is he good enough for us to continue paying him such a high salary? I picked Gionta because of the fact that he would be appealing to any number of teams. I could single out Kaberle but seriously who wants him?
No, only Gomez will *have* to go. Gionta is our captain, our leader, and his salary isn't much more inflated with a cap that is at $60 million, especially if he returns to his production norms.

I actually assume Bourque may be the other one to go. Not because of a high cap=hit, but because of the term.

My two cents.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:44 AM
  #20
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
No, only Gomez will *have* to go. Gionta is our captain, our leader, and his salary isn't much more inflated with a cap that is at $60 million, especially if he returns to his production norms.

I actually assume Bourque may be the other one to go. Not because of a high cap=hit, but because of the term.

My two cents.
Couldn't agree more. I also don't see a need to get rid of Gomez. I suppose it'd open up a spot for Galchenyuk next season, mind you...

I'd be upset if Gionta was bought out. He's a very useful player who just had a lot of bad luck with injuries last season.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:44 AM
  #21
FrankMTL
Registered User
 
FrankMTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
We have 4 big salaries coming off the books in 2014-2015, so next year is their last years of contracts. This should make them easier to trade if need be. Obviously I don't think i'd want to trade Gionta or Markov, but Kaberle could be gone and Gomez will be bought out if we can't find a trading partner. As another poster mentionned, if they buy out Gomez and trade Kaberle, it'll take 11.6 million off.

Scott Gomez- 7.357 million
Brian Gionta- 5 million
Tomas Kaberle- 4.25 million
Andrei Markov- 5.75 million

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:51 AM
  #22
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Marc Bergevin was hired to be the General Manager of this team...part of his functions is dealing with the salary cap and manipulating it.

This is part of his job
we can only pray that he understands that better than the two previous GM's we were stuck with.



Looking at that list, us and Tampa & San Jose are the only other teams in the "top 8" not to have been a cup winner/finalist in recent years... SJ's been perennially close, and Tampa at least has two top-10/15 players in the world on the roster that they have to pay.

us? Gomez, Kaberle & Bourque accounting for 15M$ (or ~1/4) of our current payroll...

Bergevin's going to have to be a miracle worker if the cap drops that drastically, even with an amnesty buy-out (b/c on a 60M$ cap, Gionta, Markov & Cole @ 15M$ is problematic as well).

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:15 AM
  #23
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,943
vCash: 500
Michael Grange ‏@michaelgrange
A couple of encouraging details: #NHL has agreed to two compliance buyouts/team in 2013-14; and variance on contracts in 20% range now

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:27 AM
  #24
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle6855989/

A 30 team analysis of current salary commitments versus likely cap 2013/14 cap level
If the cap drops though wouldn't there be a rollback on current contracts? That's how they got under the cap last time.

Getting an amnesty buyout for Gomez would fix most of the problem.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:31 AM
  #25
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If the cap drops though wouldn't there be a rollback on current contracts? That's how they got under the cap last time.

Getting an amnesty buyout for Gomez would fix most of the problem.
No rollbacks this time around.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.