HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL (Kontinental Hockey League) 2012-2013 season part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2013, 07:44 PM
cska78

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Podzinsh to Vityaz'

Old
01-01-2013, 07:44 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Robitaile to Donbass

Old
01-01-2013, 07:54 PM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
so Anisin is in Severstal'
Grrrh, so he gets to visit Bratislava again. He was destructive during his first visit here, more dangerous than Ovechkin. Just like Asterix.

Quote:
Robitaile to Donbass
Aaargh, there goes another one who destroyed us on our home ice. So our goaltender(s) will have to face him 3 times this season.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:43 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Podzinsh to Vityaz'
Hopefully at Vityaz he will pull his act together. He still is only 20 years old and has boatload of KHL experience behind him already.

Old
01-02-2013, 07:29 AM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Robitaile to Donbass
Finally Donbass is getting good offensive center. Player they were lacking all season long.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:35 PM
Tatanik

Send a message via MSN to Tatanik
Slovan releases Dravecky and Hostikka. No surprise on either count.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Faterson

Hostikka was released weeks ago, but I'm a bit surprised by the Dravecký news. I'd have kept him, and I'm still waiting for that double-whammy of Hossa & Gáborík signing as soon as the NHL season is cancelled for good. Malkin & Moziakin are coming to town on Sunday.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:50 PM
Tatanik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Hostikka was released weeks ago, but I'm a bit surprised by the Dravecký news. I'd have kept him, and I'm still waiting for that double-whammy of Hossa & Gáborík signing as soon as the NHL season is cancelled for good. Malkin & Moziakin are coming to town on Sunday.
Well, it was only released officially this afternoon, but it's been known for months that he was going.

I quite liked Dravecký as well if I'm honest. I would have liked to have seen him get a shot on the first line at some point as he's not the sort of player you have in your bottom six, but I guess if he's not producing it's not worth playing him over guys that are more defensively reponsible, ala Kytnar.

Old
01-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatanik View Post
Well, it was only released officially this afternoon, but it's been known for months that he was going.
Not quite. The news about Hostikka was already released about 2 weeks ago or so. Why they re-released it today again along with the Dravecký news, I have no idea.

Quote:
I quite liked Dravecký as well if I'm honest. I would have liked to have seen him get a shot on the first line at some point as he's not the sort of player you have in your bottom six, but I guess if he's not producing it's not worth playing him over guys that are more defensively reponsible, ala Kytnar.
I've seen Kytnár produce quite a few gaffes in the defensive zone this season. The entire Slovan offence has been struggling, so it seems tough on Dravecký to single him out. It would be difficult to argue he's been more disappointing than other Slovan forwards. Besides, he's injured right now. Slovan here seems to have borrowed a page from Lev Poprad's book in the previous season (terminating the contract of an injured player).

Old
01-03-2013, 06:32 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

So since this is my first year following KHL, just wondering is there a trade deadline/roster set? Noticed a few moves in the last week, and there's only 12-14 games left for teams, so just wondering. I am still hopeful Slovan can pick up a top 6 forward for a playoff push...

Old
01-03-2013, 06:45 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

15.1 moscow time is deadline

Old
01-03-2013, 06:56 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Thanks vorky.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:44 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I am still hopeful Slovan can pick up a top 6 forward for a playoff push...
I think it's unlikely for them to pick up anyone before we know for sure whether there is an NHL season this year or not.

If there is, then I think Slovan will pick up no one.

If the NHL season is cancelled and Slovan still picks up no one, especially not the freely available Hossa and Gáborík (or at least makes an attempt to get them), it would be extremely disappointing and the waste of a unique opportunity. I heard some rumours that claimed that Slovan management just intends to "coast" for the rest of the season, hoping it would be enough to rescue a play-off spot. I can only hope that those rumours have no basis in fact.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:39 AM
SoundAndFury

I seriously doubt Gaborik and Hossa would like to play this season after such serious injuries. And if they do, I think Hossa would go to Lev for obvious reasons and Gaborik would play for whoever pays him the most.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAndFury View Post
I seriously doubt Gaborik and Hossa would like to play this season after such serious injuries. And if they do, I think Hossa would go to Lev for obvious reasons and Gaborik would play for whoever pays him the most.
What obvious reasons are those?

Quote:
I think it's unlikely for them to pick up anyone before we know for sure whether there is an NHL season this year or not.

If there is, then I think Slovan will pick up no one.

If the NHL season is cancelled and Slovan still picks up no one, especially not the freely available Hossa and Gáborík (or at least makes an attempt to get them), it would be extremely disappointing and the waste of a unique opportunity. I heard some rumours that claimed that Slovan management just intends to "coast" for the rest of the season, hoping it would be enough to rescue a play-off spot. I can only hope that those rumours have no basis in fact.
That's a little disappointing. Even if there is an NHL season, this team is pretty good, and one (or two) more top 6 players would make a world of difference.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:47 AM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

His brother Marcel.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Tatanik

Quote:
What obvious reasons are those?

That's a little disappointing. Even if there is an NHL season, this team is pretty good, and one (or two) more top 6 players would make a world of difference.
A) Because his brother Marcel plays for Lev.

B) For me, I'm more concerned about the lockout being resolved rather than getting new players in. Without Visnovsky and Sekera I could see Slovan easily falling out of a playoff place.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
A) Because his brother Marcel plays for Lev.

B) For me, I'm more concerned about the lockout being resolved rather than getting new players in. Without Visnovsky and Sekera I could see Slovan easily falling out of a playoff place.
Right forgot that Marcel was in Lev now, for some reason I thought he was still with Spartak.

Yeah, that could hurt the blueline. Hard to say. I think the lockout will end in the next week or so (just my suspicion nothing backing it), so I guess we'll see how they do.

Slovan probably needs what, about 80 points to sneak into playoffs? Seems to be close to the previous years, give or take a few points due to even conferences (especially considering the two less games played this year). That's only winning 8 of 14, hopefully they can hang on. Be nice to see them get in in year 1, I imagine the rink in Bratislava will be pumping for playoff game, even moreso than normal.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Faterson

Quote:
I seriously doubt Gaborik and Hossa would like to play this season after such serious injuries.
With all due respect, that's nonsense. Of course they want to play -- what hockey player wouldn't like to play? Hossa has publicly stated he's ready to go, just has nowhere to play right now. Gáborík had no injury, but a surgery (a subtle difference, eh?). It was common expectation he would start playing in the NHL in December, so there's no reason on earth for him to want to skip the entire season.

The biggest obstacle to Hossa and Gáborík joining Slovan, in my mind, is the Slovan vs. Trenčín rivalry. The painful memories of the previous lockout season, 2004/5, are still fresh. Back then, Slovan with Šatan and Višňovský eliminated Trenčín in the play-offs, with Hossa, Gáborík and Demitra in Trenčín's line-up. Also, the current Slovan owner is a controversial figure in Slovakia (former officer of the Slovak counterpart of KGB), waging court battles with the Slovak and Slovan hockey legend, Peter Šťastný. Šťastný even requested his jersey to be taken down from the rafters below the roof of the Slovan arena, and for everything related to him to be removed from the Slovak Hockey Hall of Fame (which resides inside Slovan's arena).

Those are the most probable reasons, in my mind, why Hossa and Gáborík might wish to reject playing for Slovan -- apart from money reasons, of course. It's also true that Marcel in Lev might be tempting for Marián (like Kopitar's "little brother" got him to join him in the 2nd Swedish league).

Quote:
Slovan probably needs what, about 80 points to sneak into playoffs? Seems to be close to the previous years, give or take a few points due to even conferences (especially considering the two less games played this year). That's only winning 8 of 14, hopefully they can hang on.
"Only"? I don't think Slovan can win 8 out of 14. They've been pretty much a 50/50 team the entire season, which has been good enough for 5th or 6th place in the Western conference so far. I think (or hope) that fewer than 80 points will be needed this year to advance to the play-offs. You might also notice that the Western play-off teams (ranked 5-8) have generally fewer points than their Eastern counterparts, probably because the competition for play-off spots is a lot more intense in the West than in the East. No matter how you look at it, it's not fair that there are 14 teams in the West, and only 12 in the East. Hopefully that will change next season.

Old
01-03-2013, 02:28 PM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
With all due respect, that's nonsense. Of course they want to play -- what hockey player wouldn't like to play? Hossa has publicly stated he's ready to go, just has nowhere to play right now. Gáborík had no injury, but a surgery (a subtle difference, eh?). It was common expectation he would start playing in the NHL in December, so there's no reason on earth for him to want to skip the entire season.
Well Zubrus for example has said he's just happy to have some rest. They are veteran players, don't know if they really do have that much passion for the game. You say of course they want to play - Why? Maybe they just don't. For many great players hockey is just a job (Brett Hull, Glenn Hall, Terry Sawchuk to name a few).

These guys are stars and they have to think about themselves and their priorities first. And if I was a star player my priority would be either winning or money. There are plenty of teams you can offer both shot at the title and decent salary for star players. Slovan, on the other hand, only offers early playoff exit (best case scenario) and money enough to pay for your food.

Gaborik had surgery because of injury, nobody's having surgeries just for fun. So don't really know what's your point on that one. And saying there's no reason on Earth for him to want to skip the entire season is ridiculous. He's small player who had many many injuries throughout his career and if he's not paid enough he just won't risk his NHL job. Hossa is pretty much in the clear on this one as he has a contract until the end of his career but Gaborik has contract year coming up and A LOT of money at stake.

So speaking about that "no reason on earth" stuff, I hope I've made my case about how he has few huge reasons and really big decision to make here.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Faterson

Quote:
Well Zubrus for example has said he's just happy to have some rest. They are veteran players, don't know if they really do have that much passion for the game.
You've got to be kidding. Like I said, Hossa let it be known a couple of weeks ago he's ready to go. And, Hossa has at least won the Stanley Cup. Gáborík is a lot younger than Hossa and hasn't really won a trophy in his career so far (not even the World Championships gold with Slovakia). Gagarin Cup might be tempting for him, no matter on what team.

Quote:
Slovan, on the other hand, only offers early playoff exit (best case scenario)
I disagree. I believe that Slovan with Janus in goal, and Hossa and Gáborík on the attack, might be a legitimate Gagarin Cup contender. A very long shot, of course, but the same was true of the LA Kings last spring, and look where the quartet of Quick, Kopitar, Richards and Carter got them.

Quote:
He's small player
Gáborík a small player? Not on this planet. Injury-prone, yes, but he still managed to play through the entire last season without missing a game, 102 games in total. 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m) isn't "big", but calling it "small" is ridiculous.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:11 PM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
You've got to be kidding. Like I said, Hossa let it be known a couple of weeks ago he's ready to go. And, Hossa has at least won the Stanley Cup. Gáborík is a lot younger than Hossa and hasn't really won a trophy in his career so far (not even the World Championships gold with Slovakia). Gagarin Cup might be tempting for him, no matter on what team.

I disagree. I believe that Slovan with Janus in goal, and Hossa and Gáborík on the attack, might be a legitimate Gagarin Cup contender. A very long shot, of course, but the same was true of the LA Kings last spring, and look where the quartet of Quick, Kopitar, Richards and Carter got them.

Gáborík a small player? Not on this planet. Injury-prone, yes, but he still managed to play through the entire last season without missing a game, 102 games in total. 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m) isn't "big", but calling it "small" is ridiculous.
Ok, yes, he's not small per se, he just plays like one. He's not a bruiser, physical or gritty, call it whatever you like. Fact is he relies on his "small player qualities". At the end of the day, we are not even talking about it. He's as fragile as china, next to the fact that he managed to stay healthy entire season you should've mentioned the fact it was the first such occurrence during his NHL career.

All the other arguments (with no disrespect) are quite nonsensical. And you there just isn't one to deny the fact that Gaborik's priority at this moment has to be being as good as he possibly can next season.

I guess it's for the best to postpone discussion like this one for a weak or two because if lockout ends they are just one big waste of the time.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Faterson

"Fragile like china," again you're exaggerating, he has 4 more seasons with around 80 games played.

I agree the discussion about NHL reinforcements makes little sense until next Friday, January 11th, or earlier, whenever the final decision about the NHL season will be made.

A funny interview with Lubo Višňovský was released today, where he said something like, "I'd prefer for the NHL season to start as soon as the KHL season is over, so that I can get both under my belt. You know, we only have 14 games left to go in the regular season here."

Old
01-03-2013, 09:29 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Dont know if this has been mentioned but Karalahti has signed a 2 year deal with HIFK for next season

Old
01-04-2013, 02:12 AM
Dynamo81

Starting my Friday afternoon with Metallurg Magnitogorsk up against Traktor followed by Dynamo Moscow Vs Torpedo tonight.

Closed Thread