HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

News from Around the League - Part XXXVI

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-03-2013, 10:30 AM
  #426
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southampton, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 37,989
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
where did I say you have to trade him?

again, this board is so overboard on their hatred of Volch and his contract it is almost to the Rolston level.

if you think he is our 8th DMan you are a moron.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 10:30 AM
  #427
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southampton, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 37,989
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Your #6 d-men in terms of minutes played is earning 4.25M$ per... it's a brutal contract for what he gives us and for the system our new coach wants to implement.

He plays close to 2 less minutes then everyone else. How is that not a sign of what he's worth in the eyes of our coaching staff
did the Volchenkov text alert go off on your phone?

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 10:34 AM
  #428
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,557
vCash: 500
So you're keeping 8 Dmen on the roster?

Hell what forwards are we using? Tedenby in the top 6? You looking for Mackinnon?

CerebralGenesis is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 10:35 AM
  #429
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southampton, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 37,989
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
So you're keeping 8 Dmen on the roster?
who do you think we could trade Volch for?

he sucks according to you, but then you want to get something for him? doesn't work
both ways.

I'd rather keep him on the roster then trade him for nothing, yes.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 10:36 AM
  #430
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,557
vCash: 500
You want to trade someone right? Who is taking ANY defensemen when the markets full of players after teams getting 2 buyouts a piece?

Why is this hard to understand? No one is trading anything. Do I need to bust out Prezi and draw you a picture?

You want 8 dmen on the roster with no forward depth as is. Ok, at least the lottery odds are better now.

CerebralGenesis is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 10:37 AM
  #431
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southampton, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 37,989
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
where did I say ANYTHING about trading anyone? why do you keep saying that?

you aren't going to get anything of value for the guys you want to give up, sorry.

tell me what you think you are getting for Volchenkov. I'd love to hear.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 10:38 AM
  #432
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,557
vCash: 500
Again, you want these 8 dmen on the roster with this forward depth then? Am I getting no answer for a reason?

I better not read about wanting to see Urbom, Gelinas, or whatever the new flavor of the month on D in Albany is then.

CerebralGenesis is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 10:41 AM
  #433
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rocky Point
Country: United States
Posts: 24,130
vCash: 500
Volch for life. 4 more years baby.

Oroku Saki* is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 10:42 AM
  #434
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southampton, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 37,989
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Again, you want these 8 dmen on the roster with this forward depth then? Am I getting no answer for a reason?

I better not read about wanting to see Urbom, Gelinas, or whatever the new flavor of the month on D in Albany is then.
TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK YOU ARE GETTING FORWARD DEPTH WISE FROM ANY OF THE "EXPENDABLE" DMEN?

nothing. so what is the point of trading Volch? just to say you did? he doesn't make THAT much money.

the whole thing is so overblown.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 10:44 AM
  #435
Devils731
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,289
vCash: 500
Volchenkov is still easily a NHL caliber defenseman, there isn't a reason to buy him out, IMO.

Devils731 is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 10:53 AM
  #436
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK YOU ARE GETTING FORWARD DEPTH WISE FROM ANY OF THE "EXPENDABLE" DMEN?

nothing. so what is the point of trading Volch? just to say you did? he doesn't make THAT much money.

the whole thing is so overblown.
Jesus, there's a thing as UFA and ignore potentially 58 other players entering a UFA pool.

This isn't some attack against volch. Not sure why you're so sensitive and I didn't know I was going to be kicking you in the pants for the suggestion. We have too many dmen on the roster and need forwards. Not only are you struggling to give Henrique, Josefson RFA deals but you have Clarkson, Zajac, and Elias on UFA deals. Do you let Zidlicky walk? Maybe, but you didn't mention that because you were irked about something.

either way, the problem is the cap and the excess of Dmen making 21M. Cap at 60M. Cut 4M from Zidlicky and add in .75M for a rookie, estimated. Leaves you with, say 3M for Zajac, Elias, Clarkson, RFAs, and maybe Zubrus. Volch doesn't need to get bought out but a cap at 60M isn't exactly high roller, especially if you're hoping for ownership to spend money.

Also easy throwing the words moron around buddy, thanks.

CerebralGenesis is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 10:55 AM
  #437
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southampton, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 37,989
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
we are nowhere close to the cap.

what the hell kind of math are you using?

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:02 AM
  #438
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333
 
MartyOwns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 10,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
it's a brutal contract
quick question, what are your thoughts on the volch contract given his ice time?

MartyOwns is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:03 AM
  #439
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
we are nowhere close to the cap.

what the hell kind of math are you using?
$59,466,667M right now and 60M next year. So it's not straight apples to apples

Since I have to hold your hand through this process and you start screaming like a little girl when I say Volchenkov. Let's do this again

$59,466,667
- $4,000,000 (Zidlicky)
----------------------
$55,466,667
- $1,500,000 (elias and Zubrus and this is obv estimated)
+ $2,000,000 (Clarkson and Zajac; also estimated and very generous to be honest)
-----------------------
$56,066,667
+ $3,000,000 (Henrique and Josefson)
-------------------------------------
$59,066,667
- $1,000,000 (Colin White)
+ $90,000 (Boulton)
--------------------------
$58,156,667

Umm, I'm a moron but I guess that's a lot of space to find a top 6 forward.

Also, this is very back of the envelope calculations since I'm pretending to work right now.

CerebralGenesis is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:03 AM
  #440
Devils731
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
either way, the problem is the cap and the excess of Dmen making 21M. Cap at 60M. Cut 4M from Zidlicky and add in .75M for a rookie, estimated. Leaves you with, say 3M for Zajac, Elias, Clarkson, RFAs, and maybe Zubrus.
If Zidlicky leaves then the Devils are spending 16.5 million on defense for their current top 6 guys plus a spare part #7. The Devils will have 6 million tied up in goalies, assuming nobody retires.

So you have 37.5 million left to spend on forwards. You only have about 9.5 million dollars committed for 5 forwards, so you have 12.5 million left for the other 8. I think you're assuming correctly that free agent contracts will be pretty depressed next season, the Devils should be fairly flexible in who they want to keep, who they let walk, and who they add.

Then you get the added flexibility of being able to trade a defenseman if you want to, which either you can do or salaries are so depressed that the 12.5 million is enough room.

Devils731 is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:07 AM
  #441
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils731 View Post
If Zidlicky leaves then the Devils are spending 16.5 million on defense for their current top 6 guys plus a spare part #7. The Devils will have 6 million tied up in goalies, assuming nobody retires.

So you have 37.5 million left to spend on forwards. You only have about 9.5 million dollars committed for 5 forwards, so you have 12.5 million left for the other 8. I think you're assuming correctly that free agent contracts will be pretty depressed next season, the Devils should be fairly flexible in who they want to keep, who they let walk, and who they add.

Then you get the added flexibility of being able to trade a defenseman if you want to, which either you can do or salaries are so depressed that the 12.5 million is enough room.
Nah dude, I'm out to get Volchenkov. Didn't you get the memo.

CerebralGenesis is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:08 AM
  #442
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
did the Volchenkov text alert go off on your phone?
Yes, yes it did and it made alot of noise as well.... and I love how you dodged my post by throwing out some stupid comment.

You could've at least attempted to shut me up by responding with a smart comment but that doesn't seem to be your thing when someone proves you wrong.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:10 AM
  #443
Devils731
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
You could've at least attempted to shut me up by responding with a smart comment but that doesn't seem to be your thing when someone proves you wrong.
Greene plays over 2 minutes less than Zidlicky, therefore Greene is worth next to nothing in a trade, since Zidlicky fetched garbage. Isn't that how the TOI math works?

Devils731 is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:14 AM
  #444
Richer's Ghost
Moderator
DING! DING!
 
Richer's Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: photoshop labor camp
Country: United States
Posts: 47,642
vCash: 425
the season must be close to starting up, the same old static is coming up.

I was looking for news about the lockout but apparently this is the Volchenkov thread now.

__________________

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:15 AM
  #445
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333
 
MartyOwns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 10,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
the season must be close to starting up, the same old static is coming up.

I was looking for news about the lockout but apparently this is the Volchenkov thread now.
we're discussing the lockout here: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=858836

MartyOwns is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:19 AM
  #446
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils731 View Post
Greene plays over 2 minutes less than Zidlicky, therefore Greene is worth next to nothing in a trade, since Zidlicky fetched garbage. Isn't that how the TOI math works?
Doesn't matter. You can just change the argument to fit yours anyway, that was my takeaway from the first half of this page at least.

Worried about cap space? Y u hate volch!? <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
the season must be close to starting up, the same old static is coming up.

I was looking for news about the lockout but apparently this is the Volchenkov thread now.
Status quo.

Beatlejuice decided to not meet at 10AM like suggested by mediation.

CerebralGenesis is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:19 AM
  #447
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils731 View Post
Greene plays over 2 minutes less than Zidlicky, therefore Greene is worth next to nothing in a trade, since Zidlicky fetched garbage. Isn't that how the TOI math works?
Jesus Christ

Our highest paid d-men is playing less then 18 minutes per game. Can you give me the name of a d-men that is earning over 4M$ per who isn't earning top pairing or second pairing minutes outside of Kaberle and other losers no one wants on their team?

Bottom line is that our coaching coach sees what I and a handfull of other posters see and that's all that matters. Play your best players as often as possible and play your "average" players as less as possible. That would probably explain why we saw Kovy, Parise and Patty get doubled shifted from time to time and not Carter, Clarkson or anyone else in our bottom 6... would it not?

Anyways, you are talking about trade value, wich isn't my point at all. I'm talking about salary Vs production and Zidlicky fetched garbage cause he wanted out of Minny and they were stuck trying to move a disgruntled player wich will never net you a fair return.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:25 AM
  #448
Devils731
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Our highest paid d-men is playing less then 18 minutes per game. Can you give me the name of a d-men that is earning over 4M$ per who isn't earning top pairing or second pairing minutes outside of Kaberle and other losers no one wants on their team?
Andy Greene is the 4th highest paid defenseman on the team and he doesn't even play 20 minutes a night. I don't want a 3 million dollar defenseman who plays on the 3rd pairing by TOI.

Volchenkov, Tallinder, and Salvador were the 3 defenseman most likely to get draws in the defensive zone, which is something you only do if you trust a guy.

Devils731 is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:26 AM
  #449
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
the season must be close to starting up, the same old static is coming up.

I was looking for news about the lockout but apparently this is the Volchenkov thread now.
Here's some news on the lockout... it's still on and we'll know when it'll be settled when HF crashes.

Volchenkov himself isn't the topic when talking about the lockout, it's his contract Vs a new salary cap that is up for debate. We would be talking about someone else if that player would be earning big bucks when giving us limited production but we don't have Rolston or Pandolfo anymore

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:27 AM
  #450
Devils731
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Doesn't matter. You can just change the argument to fit yours anyway, that was my takeaway from the first half of this page at least.
I don't think I've changed anything I started with Volchenkov is a NHL defenseman and the Devils don't need to buy him out and I think the numbers bear that out.

Devils731 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.