HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2013, 07:37 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Lindholm is something else. Blown away by how good he is after 20 minutes of play.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:42 AM
Fozz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Here, this is a complete explanation.

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH...=dmtHMSContent

The short: bone age can be evaluated with x rays, and we have growth plates that open and finally close when we are mature.
Quoted from the same article:
"All of these methods can only approximate ultimate height; they cannot predict with precision"

Old
01-03-2013, 08:01 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Quoted from the same article:
"All of these methods can only approximate ultimate height; they cannot predict with precision"
Exactly, but what can be predicted is the possibility for more growth. It's valid and important information when a guy is 5'10 and you are drafting him. Maybe he will get to 5'11 or 6'0 and it will unlock another level to his game. Part of the risk / reward equation.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:04 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

Nichushkin has subpar hockey sense. Most of the time he makes a very poor decision with the puck on his stick.

Stay far away.

Doesn't matter how big and fast he is. Jason Chimera is too and he's a 3rd liner at best...

Old
01-03-2013, 08:32 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Nichushkin has subpar hockey sense. Most of the time he makes a very poor decision with the puck on his stick.
Yep, it's the Kozlov/Paajarvi-Svensson syndrom.

They have all the physical tools but lack hockey senses. It looks good against teenagers because they are so strong and fast but at the next level it does not work.

I wouldn't want to draft him in the 1st round.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Et le But

If anyone increased their stock for me this tournament it's Lindholm. He has "it"

Old
01-03-2013, 09:34 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
And again....it is incredibly funny to read that we don't need another d-man like Seth Jones. My god....Or another "small" forward like Drouin....Are people for real?
Crazy huh ?

Old
01-03-2013, 09:46 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
And again....it is incredibly funny to read that we don't need another d-man like Seth Jones. My god....Or another "small" forward like Drouin....Are people for real?
Just read on another realm that someone didn't want Jones because he and Subban on the same team wouldn't be safe defensively.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:49 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Just read on another realm that someone didn't want Jones because he and Subban on the same team wouldn't be safe defensively.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
If anyone increased their stock for me this tournament it's Lindholm. He has "it"
Landeskog part 2, maybe less gritty.

I really like him.

Also, Seth Jones is a stud. He will be a top defenceman in the NHL. He completely dominates the game when he's on the ice and his skating is mind blowing for a guy his size. Contrary to a lot of people, I think he's been awesome all tournament long, equal to Trouba.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:54 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:

Stay far away.

Doesn't matter how big and fast he is. Jason Chimera is too and he's a 3rd liner at best...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Yep, it's the Kozlov/Paajarvi-Svensson syndrom.

They have all the physical tools but lack hockey senses. It looks good against teenagers because they are so strong and fast but at the next level it does not work.

I wouldn't want to draft him in the 1st round.
You guys are crazy underrating him. He's a clear top-ten pick for me and if he doesn't go that high at the draft, it'll only be because of his KHL contract status. Come on, there's 30 guys you would draft before him? Seriously?

Old
01-03-2013, 11:01 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:

Stay far away.

He is already better than Chimera. But*I've got to agree. I love Nischuskin's tools, but I question his hockey IQ, and his overall understanding of the game. I'll have to watch more games from him to really get a handle of how bad or good his hockey sense really is. So far it's a no-touch for me in the Top-15.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
You guys are crazy underrating him. He's a clear top-ten pick for me and if he doesn't go that high at the draft, it'll only be because of his KHL contract status. Come on, there's 30 guys you would draft before him? Seriously?
Well if we are picking 20th-30th I would consider him. I don't see us picking in that range. Would I use a top 20 pick on him though? Nope. the KHL commitment is another big reason why I stay away.Too valuable of a pick in this loaded draft.

He strikes me as a guy who will need 2-3 years in the AHL to refine his game before he's NHL ready. Will he be willing to wait it out? I doubt it.

The most telling shift to me today was when he had the puck in the 3rd period, behind the net...he kept protecting it for like 30 seconds, it looked real nice and all...and then the play just died with no pass or shot and Sweden was out of danger. There were also several other times when he had the puck in a position to make a play and a bad decision followed or he simply bobbled it.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:12 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Well if we are picking 20th-30th I would consider him. I don't see us picking in that range. Would I use a top 20 pick on him though? Nope. the KHL commitment is another big reason why I stay away.Too valuable of a pick in this loaded draft.

He strikes me as a guy who will need 2-3 years in the AHL to refine his game before he's NHL ready. Will he be willing to wait it out? I doubt it.

The most telling shift to me today was when he had the puck in the 3rd period, behind the net...he kept protecting it for like 30 seconds, it looked real nice and all...and then the play just died with no pass or shot and Sweden was out of danger. There were also several other times when he had the puck in a position to make a play and a bad decision followed or he simply bobbled it.
Well I'm thinking purely in terms of his play, not taking his contract into account. On skill alone, he's top ten.

I didn't see his game today so I can't comment on that.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:18 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Well I'm thinking purely in terms of his play, not taking his contract into account. On skill alone, he's top ten.

I didn't see his game today so I can't comment on that.
On tools yes. But there are a few other criterias hoto

I'm not really scared of Nischuskin's KHL contract, he's going to try it out here first before giving up on the NHL. He might just want to secure his financial future of his and his family, like Slepyshev last year. Did he go on record about the NHL yet? If he's there at 25 you jump on him. But I don't want him top15 right now. My opinion might change though.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:41 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
On tools yes. But there are a few other criterias hoto

I'm not really scared of Nischuskin's KHL contract, he's going to try it out here first before giving up on the NHL. He might just want to secure his financial future of his and his family, like Slepyshev last year. Did he go on record about the NHL yet? If he's there at 25 you jump on him. But I don't want him top15 right now. My opinion might change though.
Okay maybe I misspoke - I'm talking about his game in its entirety. His on-ice play, forgetting anything about his nationality/contract/etc.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:48 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Okay maybe I misspoke - I'm talking about his game in its entirety. His on-ice play, forgetting anything about his nationality/contract/etc.
Again, I have to point back at his hockey sense, which to me is a huge question mark.

He reminds me so much of AK46. Do you remember Kostitsyn at the U-20? He was as dominant as Nischuskin, if not more. Pretty much the same tools, strenght, big body, drive, hands. He had everything to be a star. But the problem was between the two ears. Now even if I'd take a bunch of players before him from the 2003 draft, I still loved AK as a player, and think he can contribute to an NHL team. But I wouldn't pick him as high again, that's for sure. That's why I don't want to make the same mistake with Nischuskin, to me it's a déjà-vu...

Last edited by QuebecPride: 01-03-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old
01-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Fozz

Quote:
I also have doubts about Nischuskin. He's got all the tools but I'm not sure about the toolbox. His size and skill make him an interesting player, no doubt, but I don't see him being a top-10 talent in this draft because he won't have an easy time against bigger, faster players.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. People always fall for what we call in football the Height-Weight-Speed guys. Nichushkin looks like that kind of player. You watch him play and you can go awe at times by how well he skates, how big he is and everything but his game is just not that of a top-10 guy. I don't even think it's a question of effort either. IMO there have been better Russians in recent years who have gone later in the draft like Prokhorkin. Especially with this year's crop, I don't think anyone will touch him in the first round to that matter even if the temptation may be high for some. Hope Dudley has learned his lesson from the past

Old
01-03-2013, 12:34 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
Couldn't agree more. People always fall for what we call in football the Height-Weight-Speed guys. Nichushkin looks like that kind of player. You watch him play and you can go awe at times by how well he skates, how big he is and everything but his game is just not that of a top-10 guy. I don't even think it's a question of effort either. IMO there have been better Russians in recent years who have gone later in the draft like Prokhorkin. Especially with this year's crop, I don't think anyone will touch him in the first round to that matter even if the temptation may be high for some. Hope Dudley has learned his lesson from the past
See Kreider, Chris and Kilger, Chad...

Old
01-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Et le But

Nichushkin is worth a gamble...after the top 15. He reminds me a lot of Andrei Kostitsyn and I'm sure the Habs are afraid to go down that road again but if he's on the board at 20...then it's a risk worth taking. He's going to have to learn to adjust against players he can't physically run over like he's doing in the juniors, but when you have that much strength and skill, you can afford to be a little less refined.

But as long as he's willing to play in the NHL, having a guy who can be anything from the second coming of Brother Andrei to Malkin-lite is a gamble someone will take in the first round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
See Kreider, Chris and Kilger, Chad...
Kreider isn't nearly as skilled as Nichushkin. And Kreider only got overrated after he had a good playoffs and had the NY hype machine on his back.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:09 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
All right, I'm willing to take a gamble against all you guys. You'll see who's right in the end...

Old
01-03-2013, 01:25 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:

Stay far away.

He sounds like a certain AK to me....

Old
01-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Huffman

I would go for De La Rose if i wanted a big guy that can skate, more complete player than Nichushkin and he can play all forward positions.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry2perry View Post
I would go for De La Rose if i wanted a big guy that can skate, more complete player than Nichushkin and he can play all forward positions.
another guy I'd be very cautious with even though, like you said, he's a more complete player. But still projects as a 3rd line, grinder pk player at best for me. If the Habs want to shoot for a big fast forward I'd look for Mantha, Erne or Duclair and Marc-Olivier Roy to a certain extent.

Closed Thread