HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers' 2013 regular season schedule (posts #1 and #552). CBA officially ratified.

View Poll Results: How will you show your displeasure with the lockout when NHL hockey returns?
I will not attend any live games 8 10.96%
I will not attend live games, nor will I purchase NHL merchandise 22 30.14%
I will attend live games, but fewer games than in previous years 5 6.85%
I have season's tickets, but I will spend less on merchandise and concessions 3 4.11%
I have season's tickets and I will skip the first game 1 1.37%
I will be so happy that hockey is back that I will attend as many or more games than usual 14 19.18%
Purplemonkeydishwasher 20 27.40%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-03-2013, 10:27 AM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
Smith isn't terrible. The question just is, is he as good as he was last season playing for Dave Tippet?
yeah he is. just remember his time in TB. he actually lost his starting job in Tampa to Niitty at one point not too long ago. in the flyers system he would be atrocious.

if the flyers really get to buy out two contracts i think they'd be wise to go with Briere as one of them. I still feel as if Bryz can turn it around but if they miss this window of opportunity and he continues to suck they'll be stuck with him for a long time. obviously there is also Pronger but im not sure if they'd be able to buy him out given his situation. plus they could stick him on LTIR when the season starts and as long as they can still go over the cap by 10 percent in the offseason i think they'd be ok.

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 01-03-2013 at 10:35 AM.
FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:38 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I never said buy out Bryz because I want a cheaper goalie. Bryz contract is horrible, and Backstrom IMO is a better keeper than him. He wouldn't come on a long term contract either. Maybe 3 years. It would be worth it in my book to get rid of Bryz contract to but him out and spend 5.5-6 million on Backstrom.

Also hopefully Backstrom would come here because what teams need a starter? Toronto? Who else? San Jose? Who wants to play in Toronto? Besides every good old Canadian boy of course.
yes, that's why every Canadian UFA is lining up to sign with Toronto every off-season

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
I never said buy out Bryz because I want a cheaper goalie. Bryz contract is horrible, and Backstrom IMO is a better keeper than him. He wouldn't come on a long term contract either. Maybe 3 years. It would be worth it in my book to get rid of Bryz contract to but him out and spend 5.5-6 million on Backstrom.

Also hopefully Backstrom would come here because what teams need a starter? Toronto? Who else? San Jose? Who wants to play in Toronto? Besides every good old Canadian boy of course.
Toronto
San Jose
Tampa
Calgary
Edmonton

and a few others on the border of needing a new one

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
yes, that's why every Canadian UFA is lining up to sign with Toronto every off-season
Reason why no one is lining up there is because Burke refuses to do what is necessary to win in this league.

He'd rather do short contracts to mid level players than give the top players long contracts

Old
01-03-2013, 10:43 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Buyout Bryz.

Use his money to keep our forwards together/grow our young defense through their primes.

Use Leighton.

No, that last one isn't a joke. I'd rather have a ****** predictable goalie for 1m/year than a 5m/year basketcase.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Toronto
San Jose
Tampa
Calgary
Edmonton

and a few others on the border of needing a new one
I do not think Tampa will be a team looking for a goalie. The just brought in Lindback for a good price. Edmonton is intriguing. Calgary.

Like I said hopefully Backstrom would want a chance to win, Philly would give him the best shot at that.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Prongo
Beer

I think we all keep forgetting that we can use the buyout after this year, which means Leighton would be a free agent. We would need two new goalies, but I doubt we resign Leighton if he plays like crap in his 6 games this year.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:48 AM
Krishna

Quote:
I do not think Tampa will be a team looking for a goalie. The just brought in Lindback for a good price. Edmonton is intriguing. Calgary.

Like I said hopefully Backstrom would want a chance to win, Philly would give him the best shot at that.
Never been high on lindholm.

Behind the Preds D he put up subpar numbers

Old
01-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Icedog2735

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
yeah he is. just remember his time in TB. he actually lost his starting job in Tampa to Niitty at one point not too long ago. in the flyers system he would be atrocious.

if the flyers really get to buy out two contracts i think they'd be wise to go with Briere as one of them. I still feel as if Bryz can turn it around but if they miss this window of opportunity and he continues to suck they'll be stuck with him for a long time. obviously there is also Pronger but im not sure if they'd be able to buy him out given his situation. plus they could stick him on LTIR when the season starts and as long as they can still go over the cap by 10 percent in the offseason i think they'd be ok.
That is if the rules for LTIR are still the same in this CBA. That is not guaranteed.

Icedog2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Never been high on lindholm.

Behind the Preds D he put up subpar numbers
Not trying to sound like a dick, but doesn't really matter what you think of Lindback. Tampa just traded for a young goalie they seem to think is capable. He will get his chance to prove it with that contract. I don't see Tampa as a destination. They think he has the ability to be a number 1, and would probably bring in a veteran to help him along. Not at the price of Backstrom though, more like a Theodore or Giggy type deal.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:52 AM
PHILOUDELPHIA

the latest 6 min video on TSN has all 4 dreger, lebrun, ward, ryan,

doing an update, they touched on the NHL threw the PA a carrot basically now the TEAMS can have 2 buyout's.

They also touched on the PA coming down from 70m in year 2 to 65 NHL still hasn't budged from 60.

Ward saying the difference is jobs for players he actually breaks it down by year then by length of CBA how it basically means 1 or 2 players won't have a job maybe even 1 small elite player.

also that contract variance remember NHL came up to 10% PA was at 25,but they came down to 15% so they should be able to bridge this

feel free to watch that video its on tsn.ca right now.

PHILOUDELPHIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Devastate

With this Amnesty Clause, its REALLY looking like we should have held on to Bob.

Devastate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:55 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedog2735 View Post
That is if the rules for LTIR are still the same in this CBA. That is not guaranteed.
true, hadn't thought of that.

anyone here about anything pertaining to LTIR in the new CBA?

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:59 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Okay.

Say they let him walk.

There's more than 5 teams that would line up to sign him even at his current price.

Everyone on here complains about not wanting goalies that make too much.

Backstrom is going to get more than Bryz would.

The whole reason we would buy out bryz is for a cheaper goalie to save space on the cap. Not to sign a more expensive one.

Same situation goes with Luongo
The mystery is how contracts really are going to be after this...guys were signing mega years to lower cap hits, which isn't going to be allowed any more...

What you might see is a max deal for lower salary for the player security...or a big one year deal to maximize immediate cash flow. I doubt you will see both in a contract anymore (like brieres deal for example).

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:05 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
With this Amnesty Clause, its REALLY looking like we should have held on to Bob.
I would have liked to have kept Bob..but Bob didn't want to be kept if you recall the offseason reports. Bob wanted to have a chance to be a starter and with Bryz he couldn't do it here and from what I recall..in his post season exit interview he pretty much said he wanted to be traded..if you can read between the lines. It was pretty plain as day from what I recall reading in the article that mentioned it all...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Devastate

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I would have liked to have kept Bob..but Bob didn't want to be kept if you recall the offseason reports. Bob wanted to have a chance to be a starter and with Bryz he couldn't do it here and from what I recall..in his post season exit interview he pretty much said he wanted to be traded..if you can read between the lines. It was pretty plain as day from what I recall reading in the article that mentioned it all...
I never read or saw anything about that, so i was unaware. I loved Bob, and it'll be a shame if by next year we're needing a young starting goalie.

Devastate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:13 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
I never read or saw anything about that, so i was unaware. I loved Bob, and it'll be a shame if by next year we're needing a young starting goalie.
Yeah it was kind of buried in the article..it wasn't the main topic. It just kind of stuck out at me at the time.

EDIT: BTW Meltzer seems to think he will be a cusp starter type goalie....who knows. I just like Bob''s competitiveness and dedication..sometimes that can overcome a lot of perceived shortfalls..

Quote:
From Bill Meltzer at HockeyBuzz (annoying auto-play ad alert):

There is a shrinking faction of people who believe that Bobrovsky has the potential to be a star goaltender in the NHL. Goaltenders often develop later than position players and Bobrovsky is still just 23 years old (he'll turn 24 during training camp).

… Although I would put Bobrovsky somewhere in the middle of the pack of the young goalies who have already played in the NHL, I don't think his maximum potential is more than a shade higher than average

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...ackup/45/44601

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 01-03-2013 at 11:23 AM.
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Krishna

Aaron Ward ‏@aaronward_nhl
Indication NHLPA is on the way over to NHL offices for smaller group meeting. #TSN

Old
01-03-2013, 11:35 AM
Prongo
Beer

Mirtle says you can NOT buyout injured players. Seems like we have one candidate to buy out now.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:38 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Buyout Bryz.

Use his money to keep our forwards together/grow our young defense through their primes.

Use Leighton.

No, that last one isn't a joke. I'd rather have a ****** predictable goalie for 1m/year than a 5m/year basketcase.
Haven't we suffered enough?

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
I'm trying not to think about it.

01-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Prongo
Beer

Call me crazy, but I think Tim Thomas plays again.

I wouldn't mind seeing his crazy ass here either. 1 year deal of course.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Call me crazy, but I think Tim Thomas plays again.

I wouldn't mind seeing his crazy ass here either. 1 year deal of course.
I could deal with Thomas for 1 year at a time if Bryz's contract gets nuked. Edit: He's signed for this season at a 5mil cap hit. Unfortunately, he's taking this year off. So...next year? He'd be a FA.

If there's two buyouts...what would be the statute of limitations? 1 year? 2? I'd have to think Briere is a potential cap casualty.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:44 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
I could deal with Thomas for 1 year at a time if Bryz's contract gets nuked.

If there's two buyouts...what would be the statute of limitations? 1 year? 2? I'd have to think Briere is a potential cap casualty.
Only problem with Briere is we wouldn't be able to retain him if the same rules apply as last time. I still think Briere brings a ton a leadership that is needed for that young locker room.

But you are right, and others as well, he might be a cap casualty.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:47 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Haven't we suffered enough?
The real question is how much will we be suffering when he is 36 with 3 years left eating up 8% of the cap.

If he had signed a 5 year deal this entire discussion would be moot.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote