HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 8.0 - "Time on Ice" Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-03-2013, 11:13 AM
  #801
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 27,675
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I wasn't referring to the stats, I was referring to the numerous tweets from that person detailing what Gally does on the ice during a shift.

Like I said though, on one hand, I admire the dedication it takes to do such a task...but it's a bit excessive

I know Gally has one more game left...but for the most part, if you're a Habs fan, you have to be happy with his tournament so far. Yes, it would of been great for him to get more icetime or more of an opportunity, but that's not uncommon for most 18yr olds at the WJC's.
I've been doing it for Gally in Sarnia as well. Main reason I started doing this was because everyone wanted to know Galchenyuk's ice time. Since we can't watch every game on TV, I watch every game by stream (paid) and give shift-by-shift details on ice time and what occured. I wasn't going to really do it for the WJC but then noticed they weren't logging ice time and everyone started asking me about it.

__________________
"I really like the way Drew Doughty plays the game. He's like a defenceman version of Erik Karlsson."
-68
Crimson Skorpion is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:20 AM
  #802
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot
 
QuebecPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sherbrooke , Qc
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,446
vCash: 500
I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants Galchenyuk back in Sarnia after this. Leave him there, he still has a few tricks to learn from that league.

QuebecPride is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:28 AM
  #803
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I've been doing it for Gally in Sarnia as well. Main reason I started doing this was because everyone wanted to know Galchenyuk's ice time. Since we can't watch every game on TV, I watch every game by stream (paid) and give shift-by-shift details on ice time and what occured. I wasn't going to really do it for the WJC but then noticed they weren't logging ice time and everyone started asking me about it.
Sorry...wasn't meant as a criticism, it's much appreciated, i'm sure it's pain-staking work.

I just mean that while those kinds of reports are informative, they also provide over-analysis IMO.

Gotta be careful to not draw too many conclusions based on a shift-to-shift report...

417 is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:32 AM
  #804
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants Galchenyuk back in Sarnia after this. Leave him there, he still has a few tricks to learn from that league.
I think he should be allowed the opportunity to compete for a spot in the NHL...and if he earns it, then he should play with the Habs.

417 is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:34 AM
  #805
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants Galchenyuk back in Sarnia after this. Leave him there, he still has a few tricks to learn from that league.
I have to agree. I'd rather see him dominate in Junior and come in at the beginning of camp and earn a spot on the team rather than rushing him in this year. He also missed all of last year, so playing the full OHL season and play offs can't hurt.

This year will be a rollercoaster of number of games played in such a short period of time. That could lead to more injuries, exaustion from the sheer work load he's had thus far etc... Also, given the 2 amnesty buyouts next year, I'd imagine Gomez will be gone which will leave another spot open.

I say don't rush the kid. This year's NHL season will be more of a wash than naything else. Why burn a year of eligability and possibly stunt his development.

shutehinside is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:44 AM
  #806
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,214
vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I've been doing it for Gally in Sarnia as well. Main reason I started doing this was because everyone wanted to know Galchenyuk's ice time. Since we can't watch every game on TV, I watch every game by stream (paid) and give shift-by-shift details on ice time and what occured. I wasn't going to really do it for the WJC but then noticed they weren't logging ice time and everyone started asking me about it.
I'd be extremely disappointed if you didn't log each and every shift of his career and then published a book detailing each one of them.

Le Tricolore is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:46 AM
  #807
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I have to agree. I'd rather see him dominate in Junior and come in at the beginning of camp and earn a spot on the team rather than rushing him in this year. He also missed all of last year, so playing the full OHL season and play offs can't hurt.

This year will be a rollercoaster of number of games played in such a short period of time. That could lead to more injuries, exaustion from the sheer work load he's had thus far etc... Also, given the 2 amnesty buyouts next year, I'd imagine Gomez will be gone which will leave another spot open.

I say don't rush the kid. This year's NHL season will be more of a wash than naything else. Why burn a year of eligability and possibly stunt his development.
Galchenyuk has been dominating the OHL since the moment he stepped on the ice as a 16yr old...dominating juniors doesn't do much for his development at this point, it just helps fans on message board claim bragging rights.

As for exhaustion...he's 18yrs old. There's no reason for him to be exhausted at this point. At the beginning of the year, I was completely against even the thought of him playing in the NHL...but because of the lockout, he's had half a season in the OHL + WJC's

If he comes to camp and shows he can play in the NHL...then it's best for his development that he plays in MTL, not the OHL.

I really don't get the reason why people need him to dominate in the OHL...he was the #1 pick in the OHL a few years ago, he tore it up as a 16yr old and has obliterated the league this year. He has nothing left to prove at that level. Unless he shows he's absolutely not ready for the NHL, then there's no reason for him to stay in Sarnia, IMO.

417 is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:54 AM
  #808
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I have to agree. I'd rather see him dominate in Junior and come in at the beginning of camp and earn a spot on the team rather than rushing him in this year. He also missed all of last year, so playing the full OHL season and play offs can't hurt.

This year will be a rollercoaster of number of games played in such a short period of time. That could lead to more injuries, exaustion from the sheer work load he's had thus far etc... Also, given the 2 amnesty buyouts next year, I'd imagine Gomez will be gone which will leave another spot open.

I say don't rush the kid. This year's NHL season will be more of a wash than naything else. Why burn a year of eligability and possibly stunt his development.
He's already done that. What more will he gain for another 4 months of playing against lower competition when he's shown he's too strong for that level?

Fozz is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:57 AM
  #809
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,052
vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
...he's 18yrs old. There's no reason for him to be exhausted at this point.
It's not uncommon for players to go through a post-WJC letdown though, especially when playing in the Gold Medal Game (win or lose). It's a highly emotional time and physically exhausting (USA has just played 6 games in 8 days counting today's game).

Marc the Habs Fan is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:00 PM
  #810
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,151
vCash: 500
It's honestly a tough call. First instinct would be to say to Gally to get back in Sarnia, be dominant and win it all. Then, you also have that thought that this season will always have an asterisk beside it no matter what happens so shouldn't we use that 48-game schedule as a preseason for when the next full 82-game season starts? Again, my first instincts wants him to go back....but I think I could find some positives in him staying.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:00 PM
  #811
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
It's not uncommon for players to go through a post-WJC letdown though, especially when playing in the Gold Medal Game (win or lose). It's a highly emotional time and physically exhausting (USA has just played 6 games in 8 days counting today's game).
I meant in normal circumstances...leaving North America for a tournament on the other side of the planet, over a 2 week period, doesn't usually happen in an NHL season

Of course...he's gonna need some time to decompress once the WJC's end. But once he's good to go, he should be invited to camp and should have a chance to make the team

and if he shows he's good enough, which I think he will, then he should play with the Habs...not play in Sarnia IMO, that's what would be best for his development

417 is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:03 PM
  #812
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
It's honestly a tough call. First instinct would be to say to Gally to get back in Sarnia, be dominant and win it all. Then, you also have that thought that this season will always have an asterisk beside it no matter what happens so shouldn't we use that 48-game schedule as a preseason for when the next full 82-game season starts? Again, my first instincts wants him to go back....but I think I could find some positives in him staying.
So if he comes to camp and shows that he can play with the big boys...you would still want him to go back to the OHL?

If he EARNS it...why should he go back? There's a reason he was drafted 3rd overall despite missing an entire year.

Young players are making bigger impact, at a younger age, in the NHL today...this is how the league is trending.

417 is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:04 PM
  #813
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot
 
QuebecPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sherbrooke , Qc
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
It's honestly a tough call. First instinct would be to say to Gally to get back in Sarnia, be dominant and win it all. Then, you also have that thought that this season will always have an asterisk beside it no matter what happens so shouldn't we use that 48-game schedule as a preseason for when the next full 82-game season starts? Again, my first instincts wants him to go back....but I think I could find some positives in him staying.
There certainly are. It's debatable. I hold Galchenyuk in such high standards that I want his entrance in the NHL in the easiest way. I might be overprotective, but I don't trust the media, not at all.

I think giving him another 6 months will be beneficial. But I wouldn't mind him with the Habs right-away, I'm just scared of things going the wrong way.

QuebecPride is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:16 PM
  #814
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
So if he comes to camp and shows that he can play with the big boys...you would still want him to go back to the OHL?

If he EARNS it...why should he go back? There's a reason he was drafted 3rd overall despite missing an entire year.

Young players are making bigger impact, at a younger age, in the NHL today...this is how the league is trending.
It will be a tough time in assessing if a player really belongs if we have that short of a training camp. So what if he shows something, but then totally dissapear and you waste 1 year of contract benching him or making him stay in the stands? Will the 9 games still work? Or on a 48-game calendar, does it go to 4 games? Again, right now, I don't know. I do like the idea of giving him the spotlight already. Yet, my feeling, and I hope I'm wrong, is that to make a statement as far as his new coaching stint, Therrien will use his vets ad nauseam. Maybe with another full year in juniors shining, and a full training camp looking great, he'd then be more tempted to use him. Again, I don't know.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:19 PM
  #815
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,214
vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Guys, in NHL '13 I kept him in junior for a year and then called him up. Now he's on a line with Pacioretty and Cole, and in the season's first 60 games, he has 66 goals and 30something assists. I think keeping him in Sarnia is the best way to do it!

Le Tricolore is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:21 PM
  #816
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
It will be a tough time in assessing if a player really belongs if we have that short of a training camp. So what if he shows something, but then totally dissapear and you waste 1 year of contract benching him or making him stay in the stands? Will the 9 games still work? Or on a 48-game calendar, does it go to 4 games? Again, right now, I don't know. I do like the idea of giving him the spotlight already. Yet, my feeling, and I hope I'm wrong, is that to make a statement as far as his new coaching stint, Therrien will use his vets ad nauseam. Maybe with another full year in juniors shining, and a full training camp looking great, he'd then be more tempted to use him. Again, I don't know.
I don't even think it's that difficult really...if he comes to camp and shows he's good enough to be on this team, then he should be on it.

Sitting in the stands doesn't mean he can't improve as a player...see Tyler Seguin.

Considering the type of prospect Galchenyuk is, the best place for his development SHOULD be in the NHL (that's assuming that the coaching staff is good enough for him to develop) as long as he shows he's capable of playing at this level.

If he starts out strong then fades out...he can still improve as a player, as opposed to abusing 15-20 yr olds in the OHL.

417 is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:21 PM
  #817
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund
 
Lars The GOAT Eller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,279
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Guys, in NHL '13 I kept him in junior for a year and then called him up. Now he's on a line with Pacioretty and Cole, and in the season's first 60 games, he has 66 goals and 30something assists. I think keeping him in Sarnia is the best way to do it!
Really?
I had him on the Habs since year one. He's now a 3rd liner after FOUR years.

That settles it, Sarnia it is.

Lars The GOAT Eller is online now  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:36 PM
  #818
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Guys, in NHL '13 I kept him in junior for a year and then called him up. Now he's on a line with Pacioretty and Cole, and in the season's first 60 games, he has 66 goals and 30something assists. I think keeping him in Sarnia is the best way to do it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingItLeBlancWay View Post
Really?
I had him on the Habs since year one. He's now a 3rd liner after FOUR years.

That settles it, Sarnia it is.
I am happy our source of intelligence to make these kind of decisions is so solid.

We should all pitch in to buy a PS3 and NHL13 to Bergevin.

PricePkPatch is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:36 PM
  #819
GalHabsGal
Registered User
 
GalHabsGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 192
vCash: 500
Gally will play for the Habs this years! That you like it or not

I am not sure at 100%, but with the new salary cap, the Habs will have no choice to put Gally in is lineup to be under the cap!

They will get rid of Gomez to be able to sign Subban, and they will have Gally with the big club!

GalHabsGal is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:37 PM
  #820
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I don't even think it's that difficult really...if he comes to camp and shows he's good enough to be on this team, then he should be on it.

Sitting in the stands doesn't mean he can't improve as a player...see Tyler Seguin.

Considering the type of prospect Galchenyuk is, the best place for his development SHOULD be in the NHL (that's assuming that the coaching staff is good enough for him to develop) as long as he shows he's capable of playing at this level.

If he starts out strong then fades out...he can still improve as a player, as opposed to abusing 15-20 yr olds in the OHL.
If Gally out plays other prospects, then I don't see why he should be sent down.
That being said, I won't be upset if he is sent down despite performing better than others. It'll depend on what Lapointe and Brisebois (and probably Timmins) feel about what's best for him. It's tough to know how all the new clique in the head office will work together.
I was really hoping for a season this year specifically because it's a transitional year for us, for that reason, I wouldn't be upset if Gally was left out this year.

Kriss E is online now  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:39 PM
  #821
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,052
vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalHabsGal View Post
Gally will play for the Habs this years! That you like it or not

I am not sure at 100%, but with the new salary cap, the Habs will have no choice to put Gally in is lineup to be under the cap!

They will get rid of Gomez to be able to sign Subban, and they will have Gally with the big club!
Both sides have basically agreed that the Cap is 70 M for 2012-13. The 2013-14 cap number is the one going down to somewhere in the low-mid 60's.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:45 PM
  #822
Paul Dipietro
Registered User
 
Paul Dipietro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalHabsGal View Post
Gally will play for the Habs this years! That you like it or not

I am not sure at 100%, but with the new salary cap, the Habs will have no choice to put Gally in is lineup to be under the cap!

They will get rid of Gomez to be able to sign Subban, and they will have Gally with the big club!
If Galchenyuk makes the club, his cap hit will be 3.225M. So I don't think the "play him cuz he's cheap" argument works in this case

Paul Dipietro is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:56 PM
  #823
GalHabsGal
Registered User
 
GalHabsGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dipietro View Post
If Galchenyuk makes the club, his cap hit will be 3.225M. So I don't think the "play him cuz he's cheap" argument works in this case
I dont know where your 3.225M is coming from, for what I see on internet site the maximum allowable salaries for a rookie is 925000$.


Last edited by GalHabsGal: 01-03-2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: fix
GalHabsGal is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:58 PM
  #824
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants Galchenyuk back in Sarnia after this. Leave him there, he still has a few tricks to learn from that league.
Not sure what you mean by "after this" but I've been thinking that all along, whether it's before this or after this. Let's not repeat the Latendresse mistake, or the Ryan Johanssen mistake in Columbus. Half a season more in junior after missing a season isn't going to hurt him, quite the contrary.

Habsterix* is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:59 PM
  #825
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalHabsGal View Post
I dont know where your 3.225M is coming from, for what I see on internet site the maximum allowable salaries for a rookie is 925000$.
Bonuses count against the cap. http://capgeek.com/player/2339

Habsterix* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.