HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Globe Article on Cash Crunch: Good Luck Marc Bergevin

Old
01-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Andy

vCash: 500
nhl appearntly has agreed to two amnesty buyouts. Problem solved.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:34 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
nhl appearntly has agreed to two amnesty buyouts. Problem solved.
Yep. LeBrun just confirmed.

If you had told me we miss 30 games of hockey to have the chance to get rid of 2 of our bad deals without any cap charge, I would have signed up. This is fantastic news.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:35 AM
Andy

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Another detail emerging: NHL has upped its compliance buyout offer to 2 per team, up from 1 prior to 2013-14 season.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:40 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
I hope Nashville buys out Shea Weber and he signs in Montreal.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Maxpac

Wow, well goodbye Gomez AND Kaberle. Therrien talked so much trash about him on l'Antichambre, you know Kabs was the 2nd buyout option.

Awesome news for Diaz who's been tearing it up in the Swiss league.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Wow, well goodbye Gomez AND Kaberle. Therrien talked so much trash about him on l'Antichambre, you know Kabs was the 2nd buyout option.

Diaz also looked pretty great at the Spengler Cup from what I saw, too. I wasn't sold on him at the end of last season, but I'm excited to see what he can do now.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post

If the buyouts are indeed this summer, I think a guy like Kaberle could be traded before then. If he bounces back I think he is well worth his cap hit to a team needing a PMD and PP QB. Good defensemen are always in demand in the off season just look at what Suter(13 years 98 mil)Wisniewski(6 years 33mil) and Wideman(5 years 26.25 mil) got.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:00 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Diaz also looked pretty great at the Spengler Cup from what I saw, too. I wasn't sold on him at the end of last season, but I'm excited to see what he can do now.
He had a mediocre finals (scored a goal, but got walked around a few times), but his other games were great. But I'm a huge fan of Diaz.

Kaberle being bought-out (I wouldn't be 100% against bring Kabs back a severely reduced salary), is great news for St-Denis too.

Markov, Subban, Gorges, Emelin, Diaz, St-Denis, Weber.

I would like to get a Top-4 guy to slide in there (Diaz and Emelin both may be able to fill it, but I guess we will see this year but I love them as a pairing either way).

Although, since the buyouts won't happen till summer, depending on their player - Bourque could be axed before Kaberle. If Kaberle has a solid half season and Bourque struggles again, they may chop him since he'd be on the cap for 3-years.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:19 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Would they give a buyout window before the start of the season since they couldnt give it this summer ?

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Would they give a buyout window before the start of the season since they couldnt give it this summer ?
The signs are pointing to the buyout period to be before the next season.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:37 AM
PricePkPatch

Buyout.. like the one that leaves a stain on your salary cap for double the time, at half the price?!

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:44 AM
lamp9post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Couldn't agree more. I also don't see a need to get rid of Gomez. I suppose it'd open up a spot for Galchenyuk next season, mind you...
There is simply no way we can keep Gomez if the cap goes down to $60mil without also losing players that are more important to the team.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:49 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

I hope we use our amnesty buyouts on Gomez and Bourque.

Assuming Markov is healthy, I'm okay with also using a regular buyout on Kaberle. There's no reason or need to have both Kaberle and Markov.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:52 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post

Assuming Markov is healthy, I'm okay with also using a regular buyout on Kaberle. There's no reason or need to have both Kaberle and Markov.
It's crazy how quickly people are willing to throw in the towel on Bourque. He played 38 games for us and we're talking about buying him out already? Come on.

Granted, only managing 8 points in those 38 games was hilariously bad, but can we at least wait to see what he does under an actual NHL coach first? He had 2 straight years of 27 goals, it's not outside the realm of possibility for him to get back there.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Buyout.. like the one that leaves a stain on your salary cap for double the time, at half the price?!
2 buyouts with zero ''cap stain'' is what is being proposed. Gomez goes from 7.3 M...to nothing on our cap, as an example.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

The only way it makes sense for Bouque is if he has a full year like the 2nd half last year. If he bounces back to 20 or more goals no way you just get rid of him, not at 3.3 mil. Then you have to turn around and give his spot to an unproven rookie(Palushaj Geoffrion?) or go pay the same or more for a UFA.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The only way it makes sense for Bouque is if he has a full year like the 2nd half last year. If he bounces back to 20 or more goals no way you just get rid of him, not at 3.3 mil. Then you have to turn around and give his spot to an unproven rookie(Palushaj Geoffrion?) or go pay the same or more for a UFA.
If he scores 20 goals in a shortened season, that would be pretty impressive!

I guess 10 goals in 48 games would be what we'd be looking for.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
It's crazy how quickly people are willing to throw in the towel on Bourque. He played 38 games for us and we're talking about buying him out already? Come on.

Granted, only managing 8 points in those 38 games was hilariously bad, but can we at least wait to see what he does under an actual NHL coach first? He had 2 straight years of 27 goals, it's not outside the realm of possibility for him to get back there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Even if Bourque decides to pull up his socks for a few weeks, I'd still buy him out. There always seem to be decent wingers available every year, and if we need to we can make a trade, even if we have to give up an asset or to.

We can do better even if we have to do without for a year or so.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:40 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Even if Bourque decides to pull up his socks for a few weeks, I'd still buy him out. There always seem to be decent wingers available every year, and if we need to we can make a trade, even if we have to give up an asset or to.

We can do better even if we have to do without for a year or so.
We already gave up an asset - Mike Cammalleri. Instead of waiting to see if what we got for him pans out, you're ready to cut your losses and give up more?

Doesn't make sense to me.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:50 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
No rollbacks this time around.
I am a little confused on the 50/50 split issue then. If they do go this way immediately, wouldn't that reduce the players salaries which is what the "make whole" provision is all about? I thought there would be a reduction in salaries due to this.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
I am a little confused on the 50/50 split issue then. If they do go this way immediately, wouldn't that reduce the players salaries which is what the "make whole" provision is all about? I thought there would be a reduction in salaries due to this.
Make whole is all about covering the difference between going from 57% in HRR to the 50/50 split. It's complicated, but it's basically to assure every player currently signed gets paid 100% of his salary.

If there was no make whole, players would face steep escrow charges since going from 57% of HRR to 50% would be coming out of their pockets.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:05 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Make whole is all about covering the difference between going from 57% in HRR to the 50/50 split. It's complicated, but it's basically to assure every player currently signed gets paid 100% of his salary.
DR
If there was no make whole, players would face steep escrow charges since going from 57% of HRR to 50% would be coming out of their pockets.
Right, but the point is the make whole amount shouldn't count against the cap...

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Ubercron9000

no one thinks gomez could be traded instead of using a buyout? I would rather use them on kaberle and bourque. There contract lengths scare me. I`m sure gomez can fetch atleast a future considerations lol.

Ubercron9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:25 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
We already gave up an asset - Mike Cammalleri. Instead of waiting to see if what we got for him pans out, you're ready to cut your losses and give up more?

Doesn't make sense to me.
Absolutely. We did give Bourque a chance, that was what last season was all about and he failed.

I wouldn't want him even if he pans out, I'd be looking to trade him for someone else.

We've lost some good players over the years for nothing, players that I miss but Bourque I'd never miss.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubercron9000 View Post
no one thinks gomez could be traded instead of using a buyout? I would rather use them on kaberle and bourque. There contract lengths scare me. I`m sure gomez can fetch atleast a future considerations lol.
Kaberle has a reasonable buyout, I'd have no problem just buying him outright and not thinking about it. I'm hoping/thinking all three amigo's are gone at the end of the year.