HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why can't CDN fans rally around CDN teams in the Playoffs?

Old
01-03-2013, 07:50 AM
MakeTheGoalsLarger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post

Though it isn't exclusively a Canada v. USA thing. I just root for whichever fanbase I think wants it more/which city will make a bigger deal out of it. It just so happens that the farther north you go, the more appreciative the general population is of the game of hockey.
same for me

but those teams have more fans so you get people saying " i have no problem with the team but i hate their fans so much, bla bla bla" lol

MakeTheGoalsLarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:51 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Why should Ottawa Montreal and Toronto fans suddenly cheer for each other? They're rivals. Same goes for Cal Edm Van Wpg. What a laugh.

As for Bos vs Van, Atlantic Canada is laden with Bruins fans, they're the closest NHL city to the maritimes + so if you're making a geographic argument (which I don't think you are, but it's still applicable) it makes sense that at least this region would cheer for Boston.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:54 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheGoalsLarger View Post
same for me

but those teams have more fans so you get people saying " i have no problem with the team but i hate their fans so much, bla bla bla" lol
Very true.

Florida Panther fans never seem to over run hfboards with annoying posts, I guess I will root for them because their fans must be classy.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:11 AM
M A K A V E L I*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
and everyone hates Vancouver.
Another one of those internet myths that you guys like to perpetuate. Public opinion polls done last spring showed that 4% of Canadians hated Vancouver. So much for your "everyone".

The most hated team was Toronto (19%).

M A K A V E L I* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Razor29
52-22-8

Why can't Pennsylvania fans rally around Pennsylvania teams in the playoffs.

Sounds dumb right?

Take Calgary for example. Their biggest rivals (although sometimes the grounds are uneven) are the Oilers and Canucks. Why should they root for a rival team just because the team plays in the same country?

Then you have the rivalry between the Habs, Leafs and Sens.

It just doesn't make sense.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:49 AM
madmike77

Honestly? I have to deal with fans of every other Canadian team on a regular basis. I don't want them rubbing a Cup win in my face.

I don't really know fans of any U.S. teams (other than the Sabres and I really can't hate the Sabres), so I don't much care if they win.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:03 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

I'll cheer for whatever team strikes my fancy once the Leafs are out. But like several other sensible () poeple on here, I don't view the NHL as having 7 Canadian teams and 23 American teams, but rather as having 30 North American teaams.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:19 AM
Descendent*

Rivalries and wanting to be the next Canadian city to break the drought. I'd root for Jets, Sens, and Habs, but not Flames or Canucks. I was hoping the Lightning and Bruins would win. Leafs, well, we don't have to worry about them.

Descendent* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:16 AM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

Canadian fans do cheer for Canadian teams.

The Canucks cup run was one of the most mind-numbingly annoying things I've ever had to be a part of. Logging onto Twitter/Facebook/anything and seeing a bunch of people who don't even watch hockey and bandwaggoning the Canucks because they're Canadian was the most awful thing ever. Most of these people who were supporting the team had no clue of the team minus the fact they were Canadian. People looked at me like I'm not a Canadian citizen for the sheer fact that I cheered for Boston.

Fact is, hockey (sports in general actually) make people into xenophobic, overly-patriotic monsters. Skim the comment section on the TSN website for great examples of this. Gotta love psychotic fans cheering when kids get injured on the ice and calling all non-Canadian players p*ssy's because they can't handle the "TOUGH BRUISING CANADIAN STYLE".

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

I don't see teams as 'American' or 'Canadian'. There are all just another team getting in the way of mine.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:39 AM
CookieCrumbs*
Heads Up!

The only Canadian team I would ever cheer for other than the Canucks are the Habs, and maybe the Peg depending on if any rivalry develops there over time.

The rest of you can go kick rocks.

CookieCrumbs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
Canadian fans do cheer for Canadian teams.

The Canucks cup run was one of the most mind-numbingly annoying things I've ever had to be a part of. Logging onto Twitter/Facebook/anything and seeing a bunch of people who don't even watch hockey and bandwaggoning the Canucks because they're Canadian was the most awful thing ever. Most of these people who were supporting the team had no clue of the team minus the fact they were Canadian. People looked at me like I'm not a Canadian citizen for the sheer fact that I cheered for Boston.

Fact is, hockey (sports in general actually) make people into xenophobic, overly-patriotic monsters. Skim the comment section on the TSN website for great examples of this. Gotta love psychotic fans cheering when kids get injured on the ice and calling all non-Canadian players p*ssy's because they can't handle the "TOUGH BRUISING CANADIAN STYLE".
Then consider Alberta an American state for those SCF.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

Because I hate the sens, habs, and nucks. Jets and Oil fans annoy the hell out of me, and the flames are just irrelevant.

Last edited by Hennig: 01-03-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Hennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:11 AM
Ruki

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
I'll cheer for whatever team strikes my fancy once the Leafs are out. But like several other sensible () poeple on here, I don't view the NHL as having 7 Canadian teams and 23 American teams, but rather as having 30 North American teaams.
Pretty much this.

Last year I wanted LA to win because they have Quick, and in my fantasy league, Quick helped me win it all~!

Ruki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:15 AM
MessierII

I do for the most part. Besides Vancouver and Calgary but if any of Winnipeg, Montreal or Ottawa make a run I hop on board. Toronto hasn't been relevant in over 10 years but back then I used to like them and cheered for them.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Roomtemperature

I root for the US teams to win because I find it funny that someone anywhere is annoyed by the fact that a Canadian team hasn't won the cup since 1993. (some exceptions of teams I'd root for of course)

Roomtemperature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:01 PM
JuniorNelson

Canadians do not jump on band wagons or blindly follow.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:01 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Canucks fan here. I rallied around the Flames in '04, Oilers in '06 and Senators in '07. After seeing the vaccum of support for my team in '11, that won't happen again. Screw the rest of Canada.

kmad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:02 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman rules View Post
Was the poll taken in vancouver??
I think the poll demographics expanded beyond 15 year olds who spend too much time on the internet.

kmad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:10 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
Canucks fan here. I rallied around the Flames in '04, Oilers in '06 and Senators in '07. After seeing the vaccum of support for my team in '11, that won't happen again. Screw the rest of Canada.
Honestly I cheered for the nucks back in the day when they had Bure and cool uniforms but I can't bring myself to cheer for a team with guys like Burrows, Kesler and Lapierre their constant beaking, slew footing and diving is just an embarrassment to the game. If the Canucks had players I could respect I would love to be able to cheer for them.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Just because I'm Canadian why should I cheer for a Canadian team?

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:29 PM
JMecc
#FireLowe

Here's another vote for I'll get behind any Canadian team except Vancouver (and maybe Toronto, tough to say until they get to that level). The other 5 Canadian teams are my 1-5 favorite teams and i would love for the cup to come to [non-vancouver] Canada!

JMecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:30 PM
KahunaBaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
I didn't cheer for the Alberta teams but i didn't cheer against them either. If they won than great. But i wasn't upset if they lost.

Next time around might be different. The Alberta teams were never supposed to do anything but ended up going on a 82-94 type run. If Edmonton becomes a dynasty i will probably hate them again and hope they move to Seattle

KahunaBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:30 PM
Islanderfan17

This is like asking why Islander fans don't cheer for the Rangers in the playoffs

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:35 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookeyPlayer View Post
Just dont get why Canadian fans don't like supporting the other teams in the country, while it seems they would rather cheer against them.

We saw this with Vancouver a few years ago. I suspect it would be the same with the Leafs if/when they make it, which is sad since Americans seem to not have any issues with the Leafs.

So whats the deal? Is the rivalry between Canadian teams too intense from all the divisional matches?

This is sort of like asking why Penguins fans don't support the Flyers (and vice versa) even though they're in the same state, as if that meant there was a shared loyalty.

Edit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
This is like asking why Islander fans don't cheer for the Rangers in the playoffs
What he said

billybudd is online now   Reply With Quote