HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers' 2013 regular season schedule (posts #1 and #552). CBA officially ratified.

View Poll Results: How will you show your displeasure with the lockout when NHL hockey returns?
I will not attend any live games 8 10.96%
I will not attend live games, nor will I purchase NHL merchandise 22 30.14%
I will attend live games, but fewer games than in previous years 5 6.85%
I have season's tickets, but I will spend less on merchandise and concessions 3 4.11%
I have season's tickets and I will skip the first game 1 1.37%
I will be so happy that hockey is back that I will attend as many or more games than usual 14 19.18%
Purplemonkeydishwasher 20 27.40%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-03-2013, 11:48 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
I'd buy out Briere before Bryz actually, especially if Bryz has a good year with us this season

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:52 AM
FLYguy3911

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Buyout Bryz.

Use his money to keep our forwards together/grow our young defense through their primes.

Use Leighton.

No, that last one isn't a joke. I'd rather have a ****** predictable goalie for 1m/year than a 5m/year basketcase.
While I would go nuts having to watch Leighton for a full season (or half) if it meant getting rid of Bryz's contract (and a shot at Seth Jones ) I would do it. People are just focused on the near term. BRYZ HAS 7 YEARS AFTER THIS YEAR!!! I have no confidence this guy will turn it around. I'd rather have a marginal goalie and some money to spend on the blueline.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:58 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
I'd rather have a marginal goalie and some money to spend on the blueline.
Unfortunately we've gone this route for decades and it still hasn't gotten us any Silverware...

We need a stinkin true number one goalie..too bad this organization has no clue how to draft and develop one or trade for one....so sick and tired.

Anyway..if we get a season Bryz has his time to audition and grow up...if he squanders it..good riddence. RESET!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:02 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
While I would go nuts having to watch Leighton for a full season (or half) if it meant getting rid of Bryz's contract (and a shot at Seth Jones ) I would do it. People are just focused on the near term. BRYZ HAS 7 YEARS AFTER THIS YEAR!!! I have no confidence this guy will turn it around. I'd rather have a marginal goalie and some money to spend on the blueline.
Money isn't going to be worth much if there are not players worth spending it on. Actually, this kind of scares me...because we will toss a max deal at some mid level defenseman in panic.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:03 PM
BringBackStevens

It's worth discussing now, but if we get this season a lot can change even in 50 games or so.

Right now if I had to choose between Bryz and Briere, I'd buyout Bryz without a doubt. Now if he goes on to post a .920 next season, it gets more interesting. Briere makes a lot of sense too, but that shorter length is a lot more palatable.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
It's worth discussing now, but if we get this season a lot can change even in 50 games or so.

Right now if I had to choose between Bryz and Briere, I'd buyout Bryz without a doubt. Now if he goes on to post a .920 next season, it gets more interesting. Briere makes a lot of sense too, but that shorter length is a lot more palatable.
Also the money has to be a factor. Briere would only cost 5 million total. Bryz would cost 34.5 million if my quick math is correct. That is a ton of money.

Also does LTIR count against daily cap?

Last edited by Prongo: 01-03-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl
As has been reported elsewhere, Don Fehr is not in the meeting now b/w the NHL and NHLPA. Steve Fehr is here.

Krishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:22 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Buyout Bryz.

Use his money to keep our forwards together/grow our young defense through their primes.

Use Leighton.

No, that last one isn't a joke. I'd rather have a ****** predictable goalie for 1m/year than a 5m/year basketcase.
I dont like Bryz but I dont think we can buy him out. You want Leighton to be your starter? who backs him up? Cal Heeter? Hovinen? You cant win 9-8 every night.
We get thru this season and we would have to resign Giroux,Schenn,Read, find a top pairing defenseman if Timonen decides to walk. then you would need to find a no1 goalie somewhere.
Holmgren is going to have to be creative as it is. letting Bryzgalov walk would just add to it. Unfortunately we are stuck with that stupid contract.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I dont like Bryz but I dont think we can buy him out. You want Leighton to be your starter? who backs him up? Cal Heeter? Hovinen? You cant win 9-8 every night.
We get thru this season and we would have to resign Giroux,Schenn,Read, find a top pairing defenseman if Timonen decides to walk. then you would need to find a no1 goalie somewhere.
Holmgren is going to have to be creative as it is. letting Bryzgalov walk would just add to it. Unfortunately we are stuck with that stupid contract.
They are free agents (Giroux, Schenn, Couts) in 14-15. Not 13-14. Hopefully the cap will start to climb again.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:10 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
They are free agents (Giroux, Schenn, Couts) in 14-15. Not 13-14. Hopefully the cap will start to climb again.
oh ok. had it in my brain that all 3 were needing to be signed after this season

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 01:23 PM
dookie88

I might be late to the party here, but I'm starting to get really aggravated because of the small market teams, or rather their owners. At the end of the day everything that's happening right now comes down to them. They don't want to pay those salaries, they want the capfloor to be deeper and they need to resolve their financial situation. Why not just eliminate those teams? It's not like there are hundred-thousands of Florida Panthers, Carolina Hurricanes, Columbus Blue Jackets, Tampa Bay Lightning or Anaheim Ducks fans out there. Give those places an AHL team and be over with it. In the long run, the league is financing itself through market places like Boston, Philly, New York and the canadian cities. It'll make the product on the ice better and would shorten the season a bit. Both good arguments for a smaller league.
Man I'm sour.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Prongo
Beer

https://twitter.com/cotsonika/status/286915421284732929

Quote:
So wait. It was Don Fehr himself -- the bogeyman, salary-cap crusher -- who decided against disclaimer last night? Hmm
So Fehr decided not to pull the plug on negations and continue this goodwill they have going right now(players left it in his hands). Good to see, now everyone claiming he is out to stall or destroy the league can relax a little.

Now we need the NHL to continue as well and keep working on this. Posturing should be done with, just settle this damn thing.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:36 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
https://twitter.com/cotsonika/status/286915421284732929

So Fehr decided not to pull the plug on negations and continue this goodwill they have going right now(players left it in his hands). Good to see, now everyone claiming he is out to stall or destroy the league can relax a little.

Now we need the NHL to continue as well and keep working on this. Posturing should be done with, just settle this damn thing.
and yet he's not even at the meeting today. that all but guarantees nothing substantial goes down today imo.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
and yet he's not even at the meeting today. that all but guarantees nothing substantial goes down today imo.
https://twitter.com/aaronward_nhl/st...17873698492417

Quote:
As we discussed on #TSN this morning, small meeting dealt with the NHL changing penalties for 'hiding' HRR.The issue has been resolved.
Keep resolving issues and the goodwill will continue.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:49 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

Aaron Ward ‏@aaronward_nhl

NHL has gone back to original language on HRR after they changed the language this week.Severe penalties still apply

not sure if this is good or bad, but the previous language is why the lockout continued on.

PHILOUDELPHIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 01:52 PM
Flyerfan808

If we're being given 2 buyouts:

1) Briere, I don't care to repost the cap hit depth chart, but see the previous thread. If we don't buy him out we don't have enough money to fit Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, and Read in 2014/2015.

2) Meszaros/Bryzgalov.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 01:55 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Also does LTIR count against daily cap?
Yes, which is why Pronger should be bought out (if it's an option).

You only get LTIR relief if you're over the cap.

01-03-2013, 01:57 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
If we're being given 2 buyouts:

1) Briere, I don't care to repost the cap hit depth chart, but see the previous thread. If we don't buy him out we don't have enough money to fit Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, and Read in 2014/2015.

2) Meszaros/Bryzgalov.
Mez is a UFA in 14-15 if im not mistaken

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Yes, which is why Pronger should be bought out (if it's an option).

You only get LTIR relief if you're over the cap.
I thought so, somebody on twitter tried to tell me different. No pondering if I should tell him.

Old
01-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Prongo
Beer

Why would we buy out Mez? We could just trade him and get picks or even a young player. Mez has value, especially if he comes back from his injury, which Homer said he will.

Old
01-03-2013, 02:02 PM

But you can't buy out someone on LTIR I believe.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 02:09 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

^

That's the issue in the way of buying out Pronger at the moment (for me).

Quote:
I thought so, somebody on twitter tried to tell me different. No pondering if I should tell him.
Argh. Can't find the language in the current CBA, but here's a quote from the Cap Geek site:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Geek
Just because a player is on LTIR does not automatically grant the team extra cap space. In the event a player is placed on LTIR, his cap hit still counts toward the team's overall cap payroll. Relief only comes if replacing the player's salary pushes the team's cap payroll to date over the cap. The amount of relief is limited to the amount the team has gone over the cap (less the amount of payroll room the team had at the time the LTIR transaction took place), not the entire amount of the injured player's salary.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Prongo
Beer

Players are not happy with the league because they tried to sneak a changing in the language for (HRR) hiding money. They changed it to make the penalty less severe. No wonder the trust level is not there.

Old
01-03-2013, 02:29 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

FYI, a poll has been added to reflect the OP's questions.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 02:35 PM
Prongo
Beer

Main board is hilarious. They are saying why is trust a big deal in getting a deal done? If Fehr tried to do what Bettman and the owners just tried he would be crucified for it.

They are saying why do you need trust to get a deal done?? Who does business with someone who is sneaky and untrustworthy? The answer is simple, nobody.