HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Tracing your ancestry/family tree

Old
01-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Baarle*
Lähme looduses

vCash: 50
I know my grandpa did a family tree (by hand) a while ago, I'll have to look at it next time I visit

Baarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 10:55 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

vCash: 500
I'm apparently related to a French pirate.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 02:07 AM
nutbar

I have an ancestor who deserted from napoleon's army and settled in a small village in eastern poland

nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:25 AM
buckridesagain*

My great great grandfather was the youngest member of Billy The Kid's gang the Regulators.

This is him
http://www.angelfire.com/mi2/billythekid/yginio.html

buckridesagain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
Anyone ever have any success with this?

Just started my 14 day trial on ancestry.com. Looking forward to digging up some dirt on my family.
I've considered trying ancestory.ca so I'd be interested to hear how useful you find this.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:08 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Traced my dad's maternal side of the family back to the first one to cross the pond from Belgium to Canada in the 1600s.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirouxGiroux View Post
You don't have to know them to use their stuff. http://www.familysearch.org

Totally free.
Cool, thanks!

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:19 PM
fan75

Quote:
Speaking generally, Ancestry's effectiveness for you depends on where your family is from and how much time you have to put in. Pretty good for American records. Not so hot for many other countries. The Irish records they have, for example, can pretty much all be found elsewhere and mostly for free. Still, I got a six-month World subscription which is a couple weeks from ending (will not renew) and I have no regrets.
Do you still have access to your tree if you stop your subscription?

fan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:33 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

vCash: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by fan75 View Post
Do you still have access to your tree if you stop your subscription?
Yes, you will still have your account and still have access to your tree. I believe you also still have access to any photos you have uploaded. You will not have access to any attached records from Ancestry though, and you won't be able to view other trees.

I have invited a number of family members to view my tree. They do not have paying accounts, but can still see the tree and photos.

GirouxGiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:48 PM
fan75

Quote:
Yes, you will still have your account and still have access to your tree. I believe you also still have access to any photos you have uploaded. You will not have access to any attached records from Ancestry though, and you won't be able to view other trees.

I have invited a number of family members to view my tree. They do not have paying accounts, but can still see the tree and photos.
Ok, thanks. I think I've pretty much exhausted all the information I can get off ancestry for now, so I'll probably let it slid as well. I guess any pictures other people have uploaded and I attached would be hidden though, like records?

fan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 01:02 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

vCash: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by fan75 View Post
Ok, thanks. I think I've pretty much exhausted all the information I can get off ancestry for now, so I'll probably let it slid as well. I guess any pictures other people have uploaded and I attached would be hidden though, like records?
Right. And my account actually just expired today, so I can confirm that you can still see everything you uploaded, but not anything else.

GirouxGiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
All I know about my family is that my great-grandfather was a soldier in the Polish Army during the first two weeks of WWII then was in a German work camp (not concentration) and then him and his family came over to Canada after the war.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:32 PM
Alex The Loyal
Grimace Returns

I was born in England, so of course my whole family is British. The family goes as far back as the Crusades. Pretty awesome

Alex The Loyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:11 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex The Loyal View Post
I was born in England, so of course my whole family is British. The family goes as far back as the Crusades. Pretty awesome
That seems like an odd statement. I am sure there are plenty of English-born people these days who are only first or second-generation there!

But, tracing back to the Crusades is nuts. Is it really legit all that way? It seems like most families would miss records of a few people here and there along the way.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:01 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
That seems like an odd statement. I am sure there are plenty of English-born people these days who are only first or second-generation there!

But, tracing back to the Crusades is nuts. Is it really legit all that way? It seems like most families would miss records of a few people here and there along the way.
Ask the Icelanders about record keeping...it's common that people there can trace their heritage back more than a millennia.

As for the English thing...one of my old roommates was born in England...to American parents who were working there. He only has American citizenship thanks to his bloodline being almost exclusively German. FWIW they didn't return stateside until he was 4 or 5.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:09 AM
CDJ*

My great great great great uncles (or something) fought in the Civil War. 3 for the confederacy, 1 for the union (4 brothers). The only one that survived the war was the union one of course. Thought that was pretty neat.

CDJ* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:19 AM
BBH
34|38|61|10|13

Send a message via Skype™ to BBH
I found my great-grandmother but things stalled there.

Ci-Ci!

BBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:58 AM
Lux Aurumque*

All I know is that I descend from an Aboriginal tribe in Quebec, British nobility and Norwegian vikings.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Alex The Loyal
Grimace Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post

Yeah, that's what my Grandfather told me. And yeah it is fairly traceable. Britain has a long and rich history as we all know and they keep records of **** from the mediaeval times.

Alex The Loyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:21 PM
invictus

Quote:
Yeah, that's what my Grandfather told me. And yeah it is fairly traceable. Britain has a long and rich history as we all know and they keep records of **** from the mediaeval times.
That is pretty cool, man. Anyone super cool you've come across in there yet?

I bet that at least a few people on HFBoards have shared ties within the last couple centuries.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:39 PM
Altimus
Probably drunk

Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
My moms side Grandfather was a rum runner to Jamaica, trading tnt for booze, and on my dad's side, he was a spy for the British intercepting german codes. I honestly doubt any further digging with make me sound more awesome then my relatives were spies and smugglers.

Altimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:42 PM
MrJonas

Quote:
So does everyone else's family too you know.

MrJonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:05 PM
TheNeutrality
Living out a lie

vCash: 50
Received my "family book" a few weeks ago and could do some research since then.

It seems like my family was a nobility back in the middle age (first appearance in official documents of the exact name: 1289 AD). The family originated from other nobilities, that seem to be a few 100 years older.

Our emblem

We owned multiple small castles, spread through the southeast part of Switzerland ("Graubünden"). Seems like we were kind of a big deal back then

Tower of the "Burg Castelberg" (ruin)
Schloss Caschliun (ruin)
Tower of the "Burg Übercastel" (ruin)
Schloss Baldenstein

Basically our family is divided in two lines, with both having multiple knights and judges listed. One line is catholic, the other line became protestant.

TheNeutrality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 03:52 PM
MSPGabe
Born & Bred In Maine

Got all of my great grandparents. Started digging through Censuses and stuff to find my great great grandparents. Gonna be tough to find my mother's great grandparents since they came over from Italy and there was a name change. Also gonna be tough to find my father's great grandmother's parents. She was 100% American Indian and from what I've seen so far, I may not be able to go further.

Found out my dad's paternal great grandfather registered for the draft for WW2...at 64 years old! What a badass.

Last edited by MSPGabe: 01-07-2013 at 12:44 PM.
MSPGabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:44 PM
MSPGabe
Born & Bred In Maine

Wow. After working with my parents to get my great great grandparents, my father went nuts. He's been working for the past week or so under his own free trial, and with some help from old family documents, and a lot of research, was able to track my paternal side all the way back to the 1000's, 25 generations back. Simply amazing.

I believe I have roots on the Mayflower, but its tough to say. Certainly have family moving from England to Plymouth in the early 1600's.

Last edited by MSPGabe: 01-17-2013 at 09:00 PM.
MSPGabe is offline   Reply With Quote