HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Wings that are playing in the WJC

Old
01-03-2013, 06:03 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Well... Oullet is allowed a bad game, I think.
Sorry, not on hfboards.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:28 AM
InjuredChoker

Calle's cousin made it 1-0 for Sweden and Filip Forsberg 2-0. Not sure if Russian team has even a shot on net yet. Or should I say 'individuals of Russia'.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:37 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

Hakan so wants to grab Robert Hagg in the draft.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Well... Oullet is allowed a bad game, I think. Let's just hope he keeps it up in the Q. Everyone sucked, so it's hard to blame XO alone anyways.
He looked really bad on that Vesey goal.

Anyone else down to tank this year and draft Seth Jones?

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:54 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Looks like Canada's two defensive pairings look really lost today and guess what, Xavier Ouellet is not on those two pairs. Steady period with Reinhart again.

And man those United States defencemen are looking great, their are just a reincarnation of their head coach Housley. Just love to watch them.
Switching up Seth Jones' partner has made the US team much better. They are just killing it over the past 3 games.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Well... Oullet is allowed a bad game, I think. Let's just hope he keeps it up in the Q. Everyone sucked, so it's hard to blame XO alone anyways.
That Canada squad has 11 first round picks and I think 3 more who will be first round picks. Ouellet has nothing to apologize for, he's been a rock for team Canada.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:25 PM
crashman

I had never heard of Trouba until the WJs started, obviously he's been pretty impressive so I Googled his name to find more about the kid. Come to find out, he was born in my home town!

I feel kinda stupid.

Great to see USA and Sweden in the gold medal game, my (and probably many other Wings fans) two favorite teams.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:29 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
I had never heard of Trouba until the WJs started, obviously he's been pretty impressive so I Googled his name to find more about the kid. Come to find out, he was born in my home town!

I feel kinda stupid.

Great to see USA and Sweden in the gold medal game, my (and probably many other Wings fans) two favorite teams.
Agree awesome medal round, Sweden, Canada, Russia and the USA are all the hockey teams I think of when I think of the best hockey in the world. Finland is deserving too but I am so much more familiar with the other teams. We've already played Canada and Russia so it will be cool to get a new opponent in Sweden.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:29 PM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
They have been by far the most entertaining teams to watch. Good final coming.

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:38 PM
crashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
They have been by far the most entertaining teams to watch. Good final coming.
I like the Fins as well! It's too bad they didn't go further this year.

The only national teams that I'm not really fond of are Canada and Russia, but if they're playing each other I'll root for Russia.

Canada is Canada (always favored) and I'm still holding a grudge after the Vancouver Olympics, and the Russian's seem to dive and play with a certain arrogance that I find a little annoying.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 02:54 PM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypool View Post
I never understood this line of thinking. Some of the best defenseman in the NHL are under 6'0. I don't get why people keep putting so much stock into player size.
There's nothing wrong with having some short/light players. But we got to start mixing in some bigger players.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:50 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Hopefully we'll see how Canada rebounds against Russia. If Ouellet can rebound, that will grant my forgiveness of the collective mess they were today.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 05:40 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Harrington got more minutes, got player of the game award, player of the tournament award (together with RNH and Schefiele). Got more praise etc. He also played at last years world junior tournament as an underaged player.

He was drafted 7 picks after Ouellet... Do you still think Ouellet will be the better player or should the wings have drafted Harrington instead?

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 06:54 AM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Harrington got more minutes, got player of the game award, player of the tournament award (together with RNH and Schefiele). Got more praise etc. He also played at last years world junior tournament as an underaged player.

He was drafted 7 picks after Ouellet... Do you still think Ouellet will be the better player or should the wings have drafted Harrington instead?
harrington has looked better in all the games i have seen, which is just a few. he also was good last year. probably canada's best defensive d-man both years.

ouellet was not as good as harrington, but he is also recovering from injury, and i have not seen nearly enough of him when healthy to make a proper comparison.

i doubt pittsburgh would trade harrington for ouellet, though. harrington seems to me a better NHLer. ouellet is good in most areas, but not great in anything, whereas harrington's D is very good and he is bigger.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:23 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Wings made a mistake drafting him then, pittsburgh scouts owned again

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:38 AM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
So Ouellet didn't have as good a span of 7 games as Harrington did, all the while playing on a sore ankle. Big whoop. I'm not upset by this pick as well. An unfortunate end for his great ride in the tournament indeed, but oh well. Such is life.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:53 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:

Based on 6 games at the WJC? The Wings potentially drafted a solid two-way top 4 dman and they got owned...

Can't draft them all.

ProPAIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:47 PM
InjuredChoker

Ouellet's play dropped as the tournament went on. Not that much to do with opponents getting tougher because he played US and Canada better the first time around.. though so did the whole team.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Ouellet's play dropped as the tournament went on. Not that much to do with opponents getting tougher because he played US and Canada better the first time around.. though so did the whole team.
It really seems to me that he's aggravated his ankle injury. He's been really slow since the second US game.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
i doubt pittsburgh would trade harrington for ouellet, though. harrington seems to me a better NHLer. ouellet is good in most areas, but not great in anything, whereas harrington's D is very good and he is bigger.
You're really selling Ouellet short here. Harrington has almost NO offensive upside. He has 10 points this year in 33 games. Ouellet has 25 in 26 games. Ouellet has nice offensive upside that you're ignoring. He's a very good passer, has a pretty solid shot, and makes very good decisions in the offensive zone.

Ouellet nearly had more points last year than Harrington has had in his entire junior career, including this year. In their junior careers, Ouellet doubles him up points-wise, has a better +/-, and has more PIM.

edit: They're also the same height: 6'1. Harrington has 10 lbs on him.

Last edited by Guru Meditation: 01-05-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
There's nothing wrong with having some short/light players. But we got to start mixing in some bigger players.
Exactly. Grimaldi is Hudler sized and he seemed to do just fine in the gold medal game.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
You're really selling Ouellet short here. Harrington has almost NO offensive upside. He has 10 points this year in 33 games. Ouellet has 25 in 26 games. Ouellet has nice offensive upside that you're ignoring. He's a very good passer, has a pretty solid shot, and makes very good decisions in the offensive zone.

Ouellet nearly had more points last year than Harrington has had in his entire junior career, including this year. In their junior careers, Ouellet doubles him up points-wise, has a better +/-, and has more PIM.

Also Ouellet will be paired with Sproul so he'll get plenty of assists setting up Sproul for his canon of a shot. That should be an awesome pairing.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:52 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post

Harrington has that mean streak that Ouellet misses. Harrington plays very, very tough minutes on London and doesn't get that much pp time, if I'm not mistaken.

Old
01-05-2013, 04:00 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Harrington has that mean streak that Ouellet misses. Harrington plays very, very tough minutes on London and doesn't get that much pp time, if I'm not mistaken.
Ouellet has a decent mean streak to him, but I dont get why thata such a big deal. I don't see Harrington being anything more than a top 4 defensive defenseman

The Nose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
Ouellet is good at everything, bad at nothing. Harrington is great defensively, and bad offensively. So it depends on what you're looking for

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote