Wrestling Amateur, Pro, Mud, Jello, Real, Fake, and in between

Concern over The Rock's Involvement at the Royal Rumble

Old
01-02-2013, 04:06 PM
Dean Ambrose
Just a little crazy

vCash: 133
Concern over The Rock's Involvement at the Royal Rumble

- At this time, there is reportedly growing concern within WWE as to whether or not CM Punk vs The Rock at The Royal Rumble is a wise move. The Rumble is a PPV that tends to sell itself, and has traditionally always been one of the most purchased PPVs throughout the years. The concern is over whether or not having The Rock in a high profile match at the Rumble is the best use of WWE's time and focus.

There are some officials feel that with The Rock appearing at the PPV, the attention paid to the Royal Rumble match will be less than what it should be from both an advertising and creative standpoint.

Currently there is no set plan or path on exactly what is going to happen regarding The Rock at Rumble and the road to WrestleMania. A few months ago, people would have stated that it was a sure thing The Rock wins the title at Rumble. But now there is less certainty as WWE is said to have not made final decisions on any of the high profile names, feuds and matches for WrestleMania 29.

Credit: wrestlezone.com

They didn't think of this in July...?

Either way, the Royal Rumble has had the buyrates decline for the past few years, so two high profile matches should boost the show to above 500K buys.

01-02-2013, 04:14 PM
RussianRocket10

vCash: 500
Yeah I don't think there is any way they can go back on this match now.

RussianRocket10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:16 PM
The Shockmaster
AKA SheamusFan

vCash: 450
What brilliant forethought!

The Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 07:49 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Too late to change now.

01-02-2013, 07:51 PM
Dean Ambrose
Just a little crazy

In the end, WWE will benefit regardless.

Royal Rumble 2012 had 443,000 buys, the year before was 446,000 and the year before that was 462,000 buys.

With the Royal Rumble match itself this year and Rock/Punk for the WWE Championship, I don't see how the pay-per-view doesn't do at least 500K buys.

Elimination Chamber will definitely see a boost from The Rock's appearance and WrestleMania 29 is going to be huge. Should be around 1.2 - 1.3 million like WrestleMania 28, maybe even more by replacing Chris Jericho with Brock Lesnar. PPV business for the first quarter of 2013 is going to do very well for WWE, so I doubt there's much concern.

Dean Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:22 PM
chuckdobbins

vCash: 50
Well if they're going to put the Rock into a main event match at the Rumble they better start building it now. Isn't the ppv in a couple weeks?

chuckdobbins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Dean Ambrose
Just a little crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
Well if they're going to put the Rock into a main event match at the Rumble they better start building it now. Isn't the ppv in a couple weeks?
Yeah, and he's advertised for the next three Raw's and two Smackdown's leading up to the Rumble. They're fine.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:42 PM
chuckdobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince McMahon View Post
Yeah, and he's advertised for the next three Raw's and two Smackdown's leading up to the Rumble. They're fine.
Excellent.

I am kinda hoping that Punk somehow retains in the co main event, and they leave the Rumble for the actual main event. Let Rock enter around #20, I'm sure the pop would still be enormous. But let Cena eliminate Rock near the very end, and ultimately win it. From there they could very easily write Punk, Cena and the Rock into a triple threat at WM.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:48 PM
Dean Ambrose
Just a little crazy

I want The Rock to win now that I know the amount of dates he'll be working. I was against it because I thought he wouldn't be around, but the amount of dates he's committed to, I want The Rock to win the championship.

Maybe a post like that belongs in the "unpopular opinion" thread, but **** it. I want Rocky to win.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:52 PM
chuckdobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince McMahon View Post
I want The Rock to win now that I know the amount of dates he'll be working. I was against it because I thought he wouldn't be around, but the amount of dates he's committed to, I want The Rock to win the championship.

Maybe a post like that belongs in the "unpopular opinion" thread, but **** it. I want Rocky to win.
Oh I don't think it would be a bad thing for him to win the title, especially now that he's confirmed for so many dates. I just don't think he needs it. He's already a made man. Even a cheap win for Punk would look real nice, and pad the stats a bit on his title reign.

With so many dates though, plus being in the chamber ppv, it really does seem like he's winning the title now.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:04 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

I will order RR if Rock is in it, so that should answer the question.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:32 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

I want Punk to hold the title for another year.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:44 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I don't know what the hell WWE is thinking. It's okay to go overboard at the Rumble AND Wrestlemania. Do they realize how ****** their ratings are?

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:54 PM
Dean Ambrose
Just a little crazy

And with The Rock there and as WWE Champion, ratings will finally get up to the 3's for the first time since August.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:12 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
Oh I don't think it would be a bad thing for him to win the title, especially now that he's confirmed for so many dates. I just don't think he needs it. He's already a made man. Even a cheap win for Punk would look real nice, and pad the stats a bit on his title reign.

With so many dates though, plus being in the chamber ppv, it really does seem like he's winning the title now.
I would have Rock win the title and give Punk the rub at WrestleMania. Let Punk have something Cena doesn't...a win over the great one.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:32 AM
chuckdobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I would have Rock win the title and give Punk the rub at WrestleMania. Let Punk have something Cena doesn't...a win over the great one.
I would absolutely lose my **** (in a good way) if that happened.

But, you and I both know that if Cena couldn't get it done, then nobody on the current roster will. I'm still expecting a triple threat main event, with Cena winning clean as a whistle. Punk will hit the GTS on the Rock, and before he has a chance to cover him Cena will hit the AA and score a win. Of course, this will come 25 minutes into the match, after 20 other finishers don't get it done.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:38 AM
Foy

Punk beats Rock at Rumble due to shenanigans, wants rematch. Cena wins Royal Rumble match. More Rock-Punk shenanigans at Elimination Chamber. Triple threat match at WM with Cena pinning Rock to get Punk's title and return the job, set up the storylines for the summer without Rock.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Aurel Joliat

I really like CM Punk but The Rock needs to win the title at the Royal Rumble.

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:49 AM
chuckdobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Punk beats Rock at Rumble due to shenanigans, wants rematch. Cena wins Royal Rumble match. More Rock-Punk shenanigans at Elimination Chamber. Triple threat match at WM with Cena pinning Rock to get Punk's title and return the job, set up the storylines for the summer without Rock.
That's the most likely outcome to this three man program. If they go with another Punk/Cena feud though, I don't know if I would care to see it again next summer.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:57 AM
Foy

Another option is the Miz-Cena friendship continues, and they have Miz help Cena win the title by thwarting Punk's attempts at interference and the Miz and Punk have a nice Summer feud, especially after some comments Punk has made about the Miz in the past.

I just feel it would be great for Punk's character if he doesn't lose the belt cleanly, giving him something to complain about.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Rumblick

Just a question for the masses - would it bug anyone else to see the Rock, wrestling twice in 8 months after being gone for years, beating the top two names on the current roster (especially if he were to win clean at RR)?

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Dean Ambrose
Just a little crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
Just a question for the masses - would it bug anyone else to see the Rock, wrestling twice in 8 months after being gone for years, beating the top two names on the current roster (especially if he were to win clean at RR)?
No. He's done all this before. It's not like he's a celebrity who never paid his dues and just came in to beat them. The Rock has done everything they're doing today, and now he's coming back and he brings in more money than anyone else on the roster, plus, he's more entertaining than anyone else on the roster, IMO.

I have no problem with The Rock coming in to beat Cena/Punk and win the WWE Championship. One of them is going to get their comeuppance on The Rock at WrestleMania 29, anyways.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:54 PM
BrooklynBrawler

I think people have convinced themselves to believe that The Rock could actually be WWE Champ. So the fact that people think it will happen, WWE will now go the other way, IMO.

BrooklynBrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:51 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
God forbid there is more than one selling point to a PPV.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Mister Wood

The bigger concern for WWE has to be pulling in the ratings it has been recently rather than having too much going on for one PPV. Although the trick is to convince people to stick around afterwards. "Come for the Rock, stay for the WWE." I'd love it if the Rock spent a lot of time on Smackdown performing with other up-and-comers, like maybe Rhodes Scholars or Antonio Cesaro.

Mister Wood is online now   Reply With Quote