HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

More Luongo Talk

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
why so sure it's the panthers ? they didn't mention the return but millard had teweeted about a deal involing kadri and bozak so I suspect thats what they are hinting at
Ask yourself this....if the 2 buyout thing is real and FLA could send a cap dump to Van (which Van in turn buys out), why wouldn't they?

Van is happy.
FLA is happy.
Luongo is happy.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:38 PM
BlueBaron

The situation is changed if the cap falls to 60 mil and there are 2 buy outs. Luongo's value falls greatly. Why would anyone trade anything meaningful for him if the Nucks will be forced to buy him out and he can be had for nothing ?

I think him going to Florida just became a lot easier but I doubt it will be a trade.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:41 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Ask yourself this....if the 2 buyout thing is real and FLA could send a cap dump to Van (which Van in turn buys out), why wouldn't they?

Van is happy.
FLA is happy.
Luongo is happy.
couldn't toronto do the same thing? whats stopping them?

Old
01-03-2013, 12:44 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
The situation is changed if the cap falls to 60 mil and there are 2 buy outs. Luongo's value falls greatly. Why would anyone trade anything meaningful for him if the Nucks will be forced to buy him out and he can be had for nothing ?

I think him going to Florida just became a lot easier but I doubt it will be a trade.
Because Vancouver would never ever buy out Luongo?

Last edited by Chalupa Batman: 01-03-2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Flaming - enough with the derogatory comments and emoticons. THIS IS YOUR LAST WARNING.
Old
01-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
couldn't toronto do the same thing? whats stopping them?
The fact that Luongo wants FLA.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post

Much to my chagrin, I agree. We'd be lucky to get a second; a prospect of decent value if we in turn accepted a cap dump. So Komisarek and I dunno... and frankly, I don't want to.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:55 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Much to my chagrin, I agree. We'd be lucky to get a second; a prospect of decent value if we in turn accepted a cap dump. So Komisarek and I dunno... and frankly, I don't want to.
Why? There are other ways that we can get below a $60M cap without having to dump our star goalie.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:56 PM
NYVanfan

so who are the buyouts the canuc ks would take from fla?
Jovo? upshall?
not campbell, surely
how does this make it more attractive to fla?

i wonder if someone like gardiner is on the table if someone like komisarek is too..?
likely not, knowing the regard he's held in ...
so what sweetener does a TO pkg have if we take Komi off their hands?

Old
01-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Ballgarath

buy out booth and ballard trade LU? that wouldnt work?seems to me it would , as LU has more value than either of these players these 2 would get axed before him 100%

Last edited by Ballgarath: 01-03-2013 at 12:58 PM. Reason: bad spellcheck lol
Old
01-03-2013, 12:58 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Why? There are other ways that we can get below a $60M cap without having to dump our star goalie.
i dont get the $60M thing ...but admittedly lost interest in the squabbling millionaires a while back

aren't more than half the teams over $60M currently?

Old
01-03-2013, 12:58 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
Jovo? upshall?
not campbell, surely

i wonder if someone like gardiner is on the table if someone like komisarek is too..?
gardiner is COMPLETELY off the table

Old
01-03-2013, 01:00 PM
NYVanfan

imo there's no way in hell Luo is even remotely a buy-out candidate
despite the prattling of the detractor chorus, a caphit of $5.3m is good for a goalie of his calibre, and he is showing zero signs of slowing down. Thomas won the cup 6 years older than him, and Luo has a longer history of quality starts.
there is simply no way he gets bought out -- too much $ to shell out in one lump even if you'd remotely consider it...

Old
01-03-2013, 01:01 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
i dont get the $60M thing ...but admittedly lost interest in the squabbling millionaires a while back

it'll end up around $64-65M

Old
01-03-2013, 01:02 PM
Ched Brosky

Like I said before 2 trades between florida toronto and vancouver. theodore for ashton and then trade upshall or Jovo (amnesty) petrovic/bjustad matthias/ellerby and a 1st.

either petrovic and matthias or bjustad and ellerby

Amnestied player re-signs with fla for spare change

Raised the price vancouver gets from my last proposal since Florida clears more than luongo's salary with help from Vancouver. Matthias and ellerby have not developed as well as I had thought either

Old
01-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Ched Brosky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
it'll end up around $64-65M
I remember a report saying the nhlpa dropped from 67 to 65 while Bettman is hell bent on 60 to create parity for the bad market teams like Phoenix. That Report also indicated the high budgets owners are not happy about it

Old
01-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Jovo? upshall?
not campbell, surely

This won't work. Komi has but 1 year left.....and we actually need him. That and we are "cap-ok".

Old
01-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Care to explain how? Unless I missed something, the roster that follows is absolutely dreadful for a supposedly elite team.

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Nicklas Jensen ($0.894m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) / Dale Weise ($0.615m)
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Kevin Connauton ($0.900m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $60,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,362,500; BONUSES: $185,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $822,500
--------------

No team will pay dividends for Luongo when they know our alternate is basically screwing ourselves.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
When your offer is the highest, you don't up it until it gets beat.I think you are missing the point. The Leafs CAN NOT afford Gillis' price at the draft. Burke has a top limit as to where he will go, now obviously, he isn't going to throw it right out there.

No one here is asking the leafs to pay the price Gillis wanted at the draft. You are arguing against yourself. You said I'm missing the point, but you are arguing a point no one has made.

So now then, is it safe to say that we haven't hit Burke's top limit yet? Because if we had, he would not have increased his offer when EDM jumped on board. He's still trying to "win" negotiations here. He didn't offer his top price at his two draft proposals, the evidence is the latest increase, so Gillis was right to wait him out? Correct? People have been saying Gillis is asking for the moon, but if these rumours indicate anything, it's that his price didn't deter Burke, and in fact Burke has moved even further towards Gillis. As high as Gillis's initial offer was, he was justified in waiting Burke out, and still waiting him out.

Now that FLA can dump a contract to VAN, or two, does this demand a further indirect increase from Burke?

Old
01-03-2013, 01:12 PM
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
Like I said before 2 trades between florida toronto and vancouver. theodore for ashton and then trade upshall or Jovo (amnesty) petrovic/bjustad matthias/ellerby and a 1st.

either petrovic and matthias or bjustad and ellerby

Amnestied player re-signs with fla for spare change

Raised the price vancouver gets from my last proposal since Florida clears more than luongo's salary with help from Vancouver. Matthias and ellerby have not developed as well as I had thought either
Bold: hilarious. Secondly, you can't re-sign a player that has been bought out and if you are assuming Florida will resign it's own player they just traded... well there are no guarantees. Other teams will get a crack at him first.

I understand that Florida doesn't have as much money as the rest of the league but in what world is Jovo or Upshall incentive enough to trade a 1st, and multiple prospects for Luongo when it's clear there are only a few teams that will take him?

Also, players who are bought out can be resigned by other teams and the Panthers - in this example - would only have to pay the difference. If they resigned Jovo - for example - then Vancouver would only pay the difference on the contract. Or if they just bought out Jovo themselves he would likely get signed elsewhere and the Panthers only on the hook for the difference.

Hardly a good deal for the Panthers. Not shockingly though. I can't wait till some Vancouver fans get it through their head that Luongo won't return a 1st, a blue chip prospect ++.

It will be a great day!

Last edited by marty111: 01-03-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old
01-03-2013, 01:14 PM
marty111

Quote:
Care to explain how? Unless I missed something, the roster that follows is absolutely dreadful for a supposedly elite team.

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Nicklas Jensen ($0.894m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) / Dale Weise ($0.615m)
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Kevin Connauton ($0.900m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $60,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,362,500; BONUSES: $185,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $822,500
--------------

No team will pay dividends for Luongo when they know our alternate is basically screwing ourselves.
Exactly. That's a lot of pressure on Kesler on the 2nd line. Not going to be nearly as effective.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:

Among recent NHL proposals, they have insisted a reduction to $60M. How it supposedly works is this would only go into effect by the start of the 2013-14 season, allotting for two buyouts. And to answer your question, sixteen teams are over $60M. New York trails behind with only a few hundred thousand shy of that cap. Put simply, it would be a nightmare.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
Exactly. That's a lot of pressure on Kesler on the 2nd line. Not going to be nearly as effective.
And with our luck, he'll get injured again.

Jensen - Lapierre - Kassian

Old
01-03-2013, 01:19 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Among recent NHL proposals, they have insisted a reduction to $60M. How it supposedly works is this would only go into effect by the start of the 2013-14 season, allotting for two buyouts. And to answer your question, sixteen teams are over $60M. New York trails behind with only a few hundred thousand shy of that cap. Put simply, it would be a nightmare.
no salary roll-back?
thats the only way i could see it working...

Old
01-03-2013, 01:19 PM
marty111

Quote:
And with our luck, he'll get injured again.

Jensen - Lapierre - Kassian
That won't do.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
Bold: hilarious. Secondly, you can't re-sign a player that has been bought out and if you are assuming Florida will resign it's own player they just traded... well there are no guarantees. Other teams will get a crack at him first.

I understand that Florida doesn't have as much money as the rest of the league but in what world is Jovo or Upshall incentive enough to trade a 1st, and multiple prospects for Luongo when it's clear there are only a few teams that will take him?

Also, players who are bought out can be resigned by other teams and the Panthers - in this example - would only have to pay the difference. If they resigned Jovo - for example - then Vancouver would only pay the difference on the contract.

Hardly a good deal for the Panthers. Not shockingly though. I can't wait till some Vancouver fans get it through their head that Luongo won't return a 1st, a blue chip prospect ++.

It will be a great day!
The deal he had was cap dump, bottom-6/bottom pairing player, one prospect(only one of which might be considered blue chip), and a 1st.

I also think he was saying we could acquire Upshall or Jovanovski then amnesty them ourselves.

Either way, I think if he goes to Florida, it will be something like Petrovic, Matthias, 2nd.

Florida simply doesn't have a need for him, and if Luongo does end up in Florida it's because no one else wants him. Which I don't think is the case, but it's still a possibility.

Closed Thread