HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Off-Season Talk

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Ray Lewis is retiring after this season.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:47 AM
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

Quote:
Aw you mean he can't get any more tackles from the bench? I looked up the stats, he had 10 last week!

Old
01-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Iggy Smalls

I think Lewis is close to being done, but this seems like more of a morale booster for a shaky team than anything else to me. I can't see him retiring without playing at least close to a full farewell season.

Maybe I'm just heartless.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
well it was a mistake for the steelers not signing him last year

now they will have to pay

they always screw these type of things up by not re-signing players in advance to their contract expiring
Keenan Lewis had done nothing to earn a new contract before this season. He was a backup in 2011-12 and totally unproven as a starter before this season.

Quote:
Great player but I can't say I'll miss the guy.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:59 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
well it was a mistake for the steelers not signing him last year

now they will have to pay

they always screw these type of things up by not re-signing players in advance to their contract expiring
Lewis and Allen were fighting a starting CB spot in last preseason. Like Captain Hook said, he was unproven. It took a while but he finally stepped up. Can't blame Steelers for not resign him before this season.

I bet Ed Reed will follow Lewis to retire. They're very tight.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:06 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
It's close but I pick Te'o. He fills our need at ILB.

If Steelers fail to sign Foster, we may have to draft Warmack.

Warmack-Pouncey-DeCastro. Sick interior linemen!
I can't get over that interior line. That'd be a sickening decision to have to make. I'd almost rather move back a spot and collect a pick so someone would make the decision for us in that instance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Clowney made an absolutely bone-crushing hit. Never seen anything like this.

Vincent Smith just lost the ball, his helmet and his will to live. I don't know how he's still conscious after being a victim of the hit. I love how his helmet flew 10 yards back.

After watching replays, I was impressed how he picked up the ball after the hit.
Probably one of the best football hits I've seen.

In the NFL, that would have been a $25,000 fine, a 2 game suspension, and a meeting in Goodell's office.

Old
01-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Keenan Lewis had done nothing to earn a new contract before this season. He was a backup in 2011-12 and totally unproven as a starter before this season.
Yep...and he was extremely underwhelming until around the midway point of last year as well. Lewis had to earn a new contract with a solid season, otherwise he'd be out of the picture. Hell, with NFL contracts not being guaranteed even if we did take the risk of signing him to a good extension last year there'd be nothing preventing him from holding out for more money anyway.

It sucks in retrospective, but you don't want to pay a guy who winds up only playing in dime situations like a starter in a capped league.

There's going to be a ton of cap casualties this off-season...it's going to be hard to see the unofficial end of an era, but it needs to be done for the future health of the team.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
01-02-2013, 03:56 PM
JTG

Quote:
i think we should draft OLB. Seems like there are 5-6 with 1st rd potential
A lot of boom or bust rush linebackers, and a lot of the OLB's in this draft are really 4-3 defensive ends who are quite one dimensional

Old
01-02-2013, 04:01 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
A lot of boom or bust rush linebackers, and a lot of the OLB's in this draft are really 4-3 defensive ends who are quite one dimensional
Yup.

Watching Clowney yesterday I noticed he doesn't show up for half the game. Takes way, way too many plays off.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
01-02-2013, 10:39 PM
Mr. T

I'm kind of sad that Ray Ray is retiring. It's nice to have a lightning rod to focus the hate on for a rival team, like Lindros, Forsberg etc.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:44 AM
Flat Stanley

The Cardinals requested permission to interview Todd Haley.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
The Cardinals requested permission to interview Todd Haley.
Interesting.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Flat Stanley

Yeah, here are a couple of tweets.

Quote:
Mike Jurecki ‏@mikejurecki
I'm hearing Cards has requested permission interview Steelers OC Todd Haley.
Re-tweeted by Mark Kaboly

Quote:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
On Todd Haley: I don't think #Steelers would be upset to lose him if he went to #Cardinals. Could promote Kirby Wilson to OC
Re-tweeted by Dejan Kovacevic

I think if Haley leaves, and they promote a coach to be an offensive coordinator, it could be Kirby Wilson, but before Haley there were talks of it being QB coach Randy Fichtner.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Yeah, I'd bet just about anything the next OC will be promoted from within.

I have my doubts Haley gets the Cards job or any HC job but he did have success there and they are looking for an offensive mind. Andy Reid apparently didn't interview with them like a lot of people thought he would but I guess he still could.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Shockmaster

The Steelers don't want to fire Haley because it would be embarrassing to Art Rooney II. If Haley left to take on a head coaching gig, then they save face while getting rid of him at the same time.

I heard before Kirby Wilson got badly burned he was being considered for the OC job to replace Arians. Ben seems to think very highly of Wilson so that could be a good thing all around.

Also, Norv Turner is out there. Word is the Jets are after him. If you were Norv, which QB would you want to work with? Ben or Sanchez?

Old
01-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Flat Stanley

I don't think the Steelers want to get rid of Haley, they will just let him leave for a head coaching opportunity.

I don't think the Steelers are going to hire an OC outside the organization if Haley leaves. They will either promote Kirby Wilson or Randy Fichtner. I'm not familiar with Wilson's coaching, but I do know that Fichtner was the teams WR coach for 3 seasons and then moved to QB coach for the past 2-3 seasons. I think he's ready to be an offensive coordinator, I think Ben likes him and wanted him to replace Arians.

Norv Turner won't come here, if he goes to the Jets, I doubt he's going to work with Sanchez, they're done with him apparently and want to trade him, I see them drafting a QB in the 1st round and bring him to camp as their starter. I can see Norv Turner going back to Dallas, help their offense and Tony Romo.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:04 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

I usually don't like the idea of promoting from within. I think it's a good idea to get new ideas and philosophies into the organization every once in a while, and that doesn't typically come from somebody already on the inside.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:59 AM
SteelFish87*

Since Flacco is a UFA, do you think Arizona will try to sign him?

He sucks but the Ravens would be screwed without him. They only have t-bone taylor

Old
01-03-2013, 01:13 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Since Flacco is a UFA, do you think Arizona will try to sign him?

He sucks but the Ravens would be screwed without him. They only have t-bone taylor
I doubt they will let him go. They do anything to get him signed because there aren't good QBs to test free agency to replace him plus the QBs in this draft are weak.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I usually don't like the idea of promoting from within. I think it's a good idea to get new ideas and philosophies into the organization every once in a while, and that doesn't typically come from somebody already on the inside.
That's what some of us hoped with the hiring of Haley, but Coach Art made it clear about what he wanted from this offense. A change of philosophy will take more than just a new OC, it will take management coming into the 21st century.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:21 PM
sniugneP

Looks like Reid will be new Chiefs head coach. Wouldn't shock me if he takes Vick with him. KC have some talent despite bad record. They can turn it around next season.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:40 PM
Flat Stanley

I don't think Vick would want to play for Reid after this season. I think Reid and the Chiefs will draft a QB 1st overall, Geno Smith?

Old
01-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
I don't think Vick would want to play for Reid after this season. I think Reid and the Chiefs will draft a QB 1st overall, Geno Smith?
There's not a QB in the draft worth the first overall pick. So either they have to make a reach in taking Barkley or Smith 1st overall, or they sign Vick and take a QB later in the draft to develop him over the next few years.

Old
01-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Flat Stanley

Yeah I know what you mean, but is there any player in the draft worth the 1st overall pick?

I can't see Vick going to KC after Reid benched him. Vick still wants to be a starter, the Chiefs could always trade for Kevin Kolb and the Cards could draft and develop a QB.

Old
01-03-2013, 02:06 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I don't think KC will take a QB at #1. I think they will take whatever QB out of Barkley, Smith, Glennon etc. that falls to the 1st pick of round 2.

I don't like Art worrying about football strategy since it's not his area of expertise. I'd leave it to the coaches but I don't think what they do schematically or want to do philosophically is that out of date. A lot of teams run dink and dunk offenses including some very high powered offenses and it is important to run the ball better. That will take a ton of pressure off of Ben since he pretty much has to do everything for the offense right now.

Closed Thread