HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Off-Season Talk

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2013, 02:25 PM
Shockmaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I don't think KC will take a QB at #1. I think they will take whatever QB out of Barkley, Smith, Glennon etc. that falls to the 1st pick of round 2.

I don't like Art worrying about football strategy since it's not his area of expertise. I'd leave it to the coaches but I don't think what they do schematically or want to do philosophically is that out of date. A lot of teams run dink and dunk offenses including some very high powered offenses and it is important to run the ball better. That will take a ton of pressure off of Ben since he pretty much has to do everything for the offense right now.
Dink-and-dunk itself isn't necessarily outdated, but the Steelers' play calling is. Too much run, run, pass or run, bubble screen, pass. They shut down their own running game by being predictable. I think the reasons plays were called like that was because there was too much emphasis on time of possession. Those other dink-and-dunk teams you mentioned are much less predictable and actually take shots down field, and use a lot of no huddle (which actually helps their running games). They emphasis scoring over time of possession. That's where the Steelers are stuck in the past.

They say this to protect Ben from injury, or protect the defense form potentially getting into a shootout. But can you play like that? Can you play scared and worry about what "could" happen all the time? What happened to grabbing a game by its throat and dominating using your best players? At some point, you just have to go out an play and not worry about what "could" happen. Next season, let Ben try and win the games early so late game dramatics are not necessary as often as they were this season.

Old
01-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Flat Stanley

Bruce Arians has teams wanting to interview him for a head coaching position. If he leaves Indy, I think their next OC will be Cam Cameron.

Old
01-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I do think the offense needed more dink and dunk to it, not only to avoid more injuries, but also cut down on the negative yardage plays like sacks etc. which they did.

I also don't think it was play calling as much as execution. It's amazing how Denver's OC Mike McCoy is now a genius play caller ever since he got Peyton Manning to start executing his plays. He didn't look like a genius with Tebow or Kyle Orton etc.

Injuries more than anything really slowed the running game in the 2nd half of the season imo. Losing Colon and Adams really hurt them. They were doing some good things in the run game before those two went down. DeCastro didn't have an ideal season either because of the injury. You want him to get his feet wet early in the season and be playing at a much higher level late in the year as he gets used to the league. He had to get his feet wet late in the season and never really helped the team as much as he's capable of.

I also think they took shots down field but people forget about it because the plays weren't made. How many times did Ben and his WR's barely miss making a play deep? I remember way too many deep balls bouncing off Wallace's hands incomplete.

I hope Haley doesn't leave. I'd love to see him get another year and hope that the Steelers get better at executing his stuff and that he also gets better at calling plays for our players as he becomes more familiar to what the players on this team can do.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I do think the offense needed more dink and dunk to it, not only to avoid more injuries, but also cut down on the negative yardage plays like sacks etc. which they did.

I also don't think it was play calling as much as execution. It's amazing how Denver's OC Mike McCoy is now a genius play caller ever since he got Peyton Manning to start executing his plays. He didn't look like a genius with Tebow or Kyle Orton etc.

Injuries more than anything really slowed the running game in the 2nd half of the season imo. Losing Colon and Adams really hurt them. They were doing some good things in the run game before those two went down. DeCastro didn't have an ideal season either because of the injury. You want him to get his feet wet early in the season and be playing at a much higher level late in the year as he gets used to the league. He had to get his feet wet late in the season and never really helped the team as much as he's capable of.

I also think they took shots down field but people forget about it because the plays weren't made. How many times did Ben and his WR's barely miss making a play deep? I remember way too many deep balls bouncing off Wallace's hands incomplete.

I hope Haley doesn't leave. I'd love to see him get another year and hope that the Steelers get better at executing his stuff and that he also gets better at calling plays for our players as he becomes more familiar to what the players on this team can do.
So just because some deep balls are overthrown or aren't caught means they shouldn't do it?

Play calling has been a problem with Haley this year. His 2nd half play calling in the first Raven game, the play calling in Denver (run, run, pass), the play calling against Cincy (run, run, sack after Allen's first INT, 5-wide on 3rd & 1 in the red zone). Too many situations where Ben had to bail the offense out on 3rd and long after failed bubble screens and runs up the middle. It's stale. It's predictable. It's too close to the vest.

The emphasis this season was on time of possession - that was a mistake. That kind of play doesn't take pressure off of a defense, but rather puts more pressure on it. The offense basically sat on it for the majority of the game, hoping the defense kept them in it, so Ben could pull a miracle out of his ass in the last 2 minutes. They didn't attack defenses, they just played scared.

Teams like the Patriots, Broncos, and Packers didn't fret over time of possession. They attacked. They used no-huddle. They actually take shots down field. They exerted themselves on the other team. And it didn't just benefit their QBs. Those teams ended up having better running games than the Steelers did. Perhaps that should be the indication that the Steelers aren't going about fixing their running issues in the right manner by stubbornly calling more runs up the middle on 1st and 2nd downs.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:41 PM
sniugneP

Play calling wasn't really a problem until Ben got hurt. That screwed up everything even Ben came back, he just wasn't same especially on third down when he was very efficient in early season.

Old
01-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Play calling wasn't really a problem until Ben got hurt. That screwed up everything even Ben came back, he just wasn't same especially on third down when he was very efficient in early season.
Yes he was. The problem was too many of those third downs were results of poor play calling on the first two downs - mainly because the Steelers were too worried over time of possession.

Old
01-03-2013, 05:15 PM
JTG

I personally liked what Haley did in some facets of the game. I think the intermediate passing game is highly effective, and keeps our QB upright.

Old
01-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I personally liked what Haley did in some facets of the game. I think the intermediate passing game is highly effective, and keeps our QB upright.
You can justify a short passing game if you take shots down field more often, but they didn't. And other team's defenses caught onto the fact the Steelers were basically playing Marty ball and Haley didn't adjust.

They need to stop worrying about what "could" happen and go win games.

Old
01-03-2013, 06:20 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I don't think Vick would want to play for Reid after this season. I think Reid and the Chiefs will draft a QB 1st overall, Geno Smith?
That'll be a stupid decision to take him first.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
01-03-2013, 06:51 PM
invictus

Anyone else think the Chiefs may try to get Alex Smith since San Fran is going with the younger guy? Smith would definitely be an upgrade over what is under center in KC now. They have a decent team (at least, significantly better than worst in the league) without the trainwreck at the QB spot. This way, they can draft for need, or trade down for extra picks, with the first spot, and take a QB later on to develop.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:07 PM
JTG

Alex Smith joining Reid in KC makes a ton of sense, IMO. A west coast QB, playing under a disciple of the west coast system.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
That'll be a stupid decision to take him first.
I'm not disagreeing, I just don't know the rankings or which players are looked at as 1st overall caliber players.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:25 PM
JTG

All the QB's would be OK 1st picks...in the 2nd round.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:24 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Alex Smith joining Reid in KC makes a ton of sense, IMO. A west coast QB, playing under a disciple of the west coast system.
don't forget the historical precedent. of course Smith is no Montana, but neither is he damaged goods - he's played some highly efficient ball these last few years.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:07 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

Has anyone seen Dion Jordan in this game?

Old
01-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
don't forget the historical precedent. of course Smith is no Montana, but neither is he damaged goods - he's played some highly efficient ball these last few years.
Smith is definitely one of the better options at QB this off season, but he's not a guy that can throw it 40 times a game. KC will still have to lean on its running game. Being that Andy Reid pretty much ignored Shady McCoy while he was in Philly, that could be bad for the Chiefs.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:20 AM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Smith is definitely one of the better options at QB this off season, but he's not a guy that can throw it 40 times a game. KC will still have to lean on its running game. Being that Andy Reid pretty much ignored Shady McCoy while he was in Philly, that could be bad for the Chiefs.
Reid didn't ignore McCoy. Shady was very effective for 2010 and 2011. He didn't play alot this season due to injury.

I know Reid will use Charles a lot. He'll be foolish not to do that.

I think a change of scenery will benefit Reid a lot. With a lot of talent on defense, this team have potential being a playoff team next season if they can get a good QB.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:46 AM
The Old Master

Quote:
i agree, and don't forget it was the owners that pushed for more running plays, tod was just following orders.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:53 AM
SteelFish87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
I doubt they will let him go.
Flacco can leave if he wants. There are atleast half a dozen teams that would want him. Are saying they will overpay to keep him? He is a UFA. They won't franchise him (lol at paying him 20 mill for 1 season)

Flacco seems pretty dumb though. He should have insisted on a new contract before this season. He will probably sign a sweetheart deal before hitting UFA

Best case scenario is Flacco chokes in playoffs again and takes a lot of heat from the fans/media and decides to leave

Old
01-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I can't see the Ravens letting Flacco get away. There is nothing remotely close to him available in the draft or on the UFA market this year.

I do think they'd franchise him but they'd do it the same way we might do it with a guy like Keenan Lewis and that's franchise him until a longer-term deal can be reached.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:22 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

@Edwerderespn
Quote:
Steelers OC Todd Haley has not yet agreed to interview for Cardinals HC job and proceeding cautiously because he loves working for Steelers
I'm sure Haley will interview with them eventually since Arizona is probably the only place that's going to hire him as a HC anytime soon after his lousy stint in KC that got him fired. Scott Pioli just got fired today by KC too.

I still think it would be a blow to the Steelers to lose him but I doubt Big Ben cares much. He'd probably return from wherever he's gone for the off-season and drive Haley to the airport.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/88...dinals-sources

Last edited by Captain Hook: 01-04-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old
01-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Master View Post
i agree, and don't forget it was the owners that pushed for more running plays, tod was just following orders.
Generally when owners meddle with their football teams like that, bad things happen - ala 8-8.

If Jerry Jones did something like that, we'd all be laughing at the Cowboys talking about how screwed up that franchise is. But when Art Rooney II does it, it's okay.

Owners need to stay out of that kind of stuff.

Old
01-04-2013, 02:45 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Sledge View Post
Has anyone seen Dion Jordan in this game?
Other than the 2 point play, he made zero impact. Another boom or bust guy based of athletics. Do not want.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:09 PM
JTG

About 15 guys who have 1st roundish grades on them, I wouldn't take them before the 3rd round due to them being so one dimensional.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Some rumors floating around that Chip Kelly to the Browns is close but we'll see. Not sure what to think. He's a smart coach and the Browns have a talented young team but Weeden really doesn't fit what he wants to do and that could be a problem.

Closed Thread